Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Hmmm, I love chili, and I've been vaguely aware of chili-disagreements on meat type and bean things and all.

My chili thus far has been ground beef, lots of peppers, lots of herbs and spices, fresh red chili peppers, tomatoes, and beans (kidney beans, chili beans, sometimes chick peas, sometimes corn)
...so kill me, but I liked it!

Today I'm using beef stew meat, and black beans with kidney beans. Also bayleafs and chickenstock to let my stew meat stew...
Oh, and a dash of balsamico vinegar and honey, for tenderizing, and flavor.

The stew meat and stewing are new, as are the black beans.
I'm not too scared, because i will definitely blame this thread if anything goes wrong ;-)

it's tasting nice so far, and I WILL let you know how it turns out!

Anyway, fun thread
chili FTW!

paraquat fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Hmmm, I'm not going to post a chili picture, as they're not what's important (but think dark brown ;-) )

BUT, stew meat is definitely the way to go, apparently!
what a grweat surprise, and I'm going to take back anything I said about it taking time to cut the stew meat into smsmall pieces...it's worth it, seriously!!!

the black beans were fine...the real addition was using bay leafs during the stewing process, I can taste them still! (yes, I did take them out, lol)

anyway:
-small diced up stew meat
-diced up onions
-little diced pepper
-diced tomatoes
-freshv diced up red chillies
-fresh herbs
-honey and brown sugar, to counteract:
-a dash of balsamico vinegar
-time and tortilla chips AND toasted white bread

Loved it, and will definitely use the stew meat again next time!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Scott Bakula posted:

Use some beer to add liquid for stewing next time as well

amen ;-)

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

paraquat posted:

Hmmm, I'm not going to post a chili picture, as they're not what's important (but think dark brown ;-) )

yeah, so, picture goodness anyway!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Scientastic posted:

I think you accidentally cut-and-pasted part of a different recipe into your post.

Nah... it's because I used stew meat for the first time in a chili, and the bayleaf idea came from this thread, and then my brain said: stew meat and bayleaf... That means your dish needs a tiny bit of acid, hence the balsamic vinegar. And then I remembered I was making chili and that i was being weird, hmmm.
All I can say is that there were only really small amounts of the vinegar and sweeteners in there, and it didnt ruin the dish.
Oh well...

In my defence, though: I'm a girl!

paraquat fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 6, 2012

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Casu Marzu posted:

What kind of defense is that? :confused:

It tells you that, whatever I do, my food is de-li-cious! :-D

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
What about chili toppings?

I like to eat chili with nothing on it, or chili with sriracha, grated cheese and a finely diced raw red onion on top.

Any other ideas?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
There's not a lot of varieties of chillies I can get over here. Probably only "normal" red chilies (cayenne peppers), bird chillies/rawit and madame jeanette (never used the last two, as I've been told they're way hotter than cayenne peppers....is that right?)

Today I found a bag of dried "sichuan chillies" in the store.
(these are chilli pods, not peppercorns)

I've never had any dried chillies before, and I'm not really sure how to use them.
I want to make a big batch of glorious chili tomorrow, and I'd like to use these.

What to I do to prepare them the right way?
the whole dish will be simmering for an hour or two.
Can I just chop them up and throw them in there, or do I need to reconstitue them separately beforehand?

(And what about the type of chillies..is it a no-no, or what?)

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Thanks for the advice you both,
After a lot of searching, I discovered they are "facing heaven peppers"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facing_heaven_pepper
I tried one, and they're slightly less hot than my usual peppers.

So, chili will be made today!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Crazyeyes posted:

My eyes were opened last night. Chipotles in adobo is the way if the lord.

Yeah, amen!
I only recently found ways to buy chipotle sauce in my country, and now a real can of chipotle in adobo, and wow....
There's no real point in making chili if there's no addition of chipotle in adobo!!!

Also, just in case you've got some chipotle in adobo left:
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/03/spicy-dr-pepper-shredded-pork/

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Serendipitaet posted:

I'd love to know where you found them!

I'll make chili tonight, pictures may follow.

Well, assuming you live in Holland and you cannot find Chipotle in Adobo, I highly recommend finding the nearest "Amazing Oriental" to you.
The one near my place recently added Mexican products, and now I can get chipotle hotsauce and small cans of chipotle in adobo (amongst other things like refried beans, tomatillos, etcetera)
.....you REALLY want those cans of chipotle in adobo, they're amazing!

If you live in another country, and this was not helpful at all and you still cannot find them, try to buy them online....itīs really worth it, promise!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Serendipitaet posted:

Sorry, yeah, I live in Holland and noticed from some of your posts that you do too, so thanks a lot! There's an Amazing Oriental in my city, I'll see if they have it.

Ah, excellent and glad to hear there's an Amazing Oriental near you (you might want to run out and get some for the chili you're making tonight)

eet smakelijk!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I've been itching to make some chili for the last month, but my wife's been on a no-red-meat kick, and meat in general has been really expensive. So, I caved and we're now apparently doing tofu chili with soy chorizo. Yeah... I'm trying to make the best of it. Any recommendations or recipes that you guys can recommend? I've got the cubed up tofu marinading in some really good Worcestershire sauce and oil right now to give it at least some kind of flavor. I'm used to doing the typical chunky style chili with stew beef, so I'm looking to keep it similar to that sort of style, but probably with slightly more lean towards the "mex" side of tex/mex.

what do you normally do for the "chili" part of your chili?
oh and use beef broth/bouillon maybe?

and I'm sorry..

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Bob Morales posted:

Make sweet potato chili, don't use stupid meat substitutes.

this is extremely true!
...but, they already have tofu marinating, so that has to be eaten now.

In general, if you're going the vegetarian route to save money, your best bet is to google vegetarian dishes instead of trying to make it "similar to a non-vegetarian dish", that will always turn out sub-par.

paraquat fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 10, 2014

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Echeveria posted:

I add black beans to my chili.

I love black beans in my chili...and corn, but I won't confess to the latter at gunpoint.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I think the real quirk is wanting corn in chili, you're fine!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

mindphlux posted:

atlanta.

no idea why they'd be any cheaper or more expensive than anywhere else, other than I live in a major city.

I habitually buy chipoltes in adobo almost every month because I'm like 'poo poo am I out of chipoltes? well, who cares - might as well, they're 69 cents!'

that said, I do chop them up and freeze in a ziplock too, because I rarely would ever use an entire can. also because apparently I'm thrifty enough to care about 34.5 cents worth of food.

I bought 7 cans online for 22 euro's (25 US dollars)...apparently the shops in my country don't think we need chipotles in adobo

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Echeveria posted:

I've found them in one store locally for 5.99 a can.

You win

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Another 2 teaspoons of salt beyond what the recipe called for, plus...

1/2 bar unsweetened dark chocolate (100% cacao)
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp Cholula hot sauce

... before the simmering phase. Then while I was adding the masa, I used 12 oz Shiner Bohemian Black Lager beer instead of water to de-thicken the chili.

The masa ended up loving the flavor and I was a little pissed about that, and it didn't really seem to do anything to the thickness of the chili, but apart from that it came out pretty good. The only other problem was that a lot of the chili stuck to the bottom/sides of the pot and hardened while it was simmering; wonder if next time I should stir it occasionally during the simmer so that doesn't happen.

yes, you do need to stir occasionaly...also, anything that thickens the stuff up, needs to be added late(r) in the cooking process.

btw, it sounds a bit like a chocolate corn soup, wasn't that way too much chocolate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I'm fully agreeing with this, and I still call it chili inside my head,

that's because my coworker makes something with bananas and calls it chili,
so I see no reason not to call my ground beef bean stew with tomatoes, spanish peppers and adobo a chili as well :agesilaus: