Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Iron Leg posted:

Chili recipe from first page.
Thanks for posting this! I made it and it was loving delicious I even took some pics :)

All the stuff

Is this what you meant by cut lengthwise? I wouldn't mind doing it with some habenero but they are hard to find. I live in Australia.

Browning the meat!

The chorizos, ground beef and onion. It was a pain removing the skin from the chorizo I don't think I did it properly.

Bringing it to a boil. Needs more eye of newt.

This was about 30 minutes away from it being done. I was going to take pictures of it completed but was too hasty and just ate the gently caress out of it instead. The spice levels were good, and I was able to share it with people who have a fairly low tolerance and they only complained a little. I want to make one purely to my spice tastes so I was thinking habenero and maybe one ghost pepper either floating in it or cut up. I have never had ghost pepper so who knows it might be too hot but I still want to try it.

And I had it with beans. I like beans.

fuckpot fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
Now let's all forget our troubles with a big bowl of strawberry ice-cream.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
How about 'Chill, it's the Chili Thread'

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
Also remember to check that is the freezer is plugged in and that the power is set to 'on'.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

sfwarlock posted:

This is what I did today:

Diced up half a sweet onion, half an orange bell pepper, an entire red bell pepper, four cloves of garlic. While that was sauteing, cubed two pounds of chuck steak and seared it in small batches in canola oil in the bottom of the pot.

Deglazed the pot with a shot of Jack and added 1 can each of diced tomatoes, tomato sauce(*), corn, pinto beans, and black beans. (Drained the latter three first, tomato sauce following this recipe: http://www.cookingcomically.com/?page_id=33.)

Added the veggies and steak, and chopped up a couple serranos and threw those in too. Added a good unmeasured shake of various spices (onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne, chili powder), a tablespoon of sriracha, some fresh ground black pepper, a good squeeze of mesquite honey, and about 8 oz of the hard cider pictured.

Topped up with more tomato sauce. I have a can of the chipotles in adobo, but this is already way too busy (and almost too spicy) so I'm saving them for next time.

What should I have done differently?

EDIT for timg

When you say bell peppers you mean what us Aussies call capsicum right? Don't use them. They are nothing but flavourless mush in a chili. In Australia all I can get are standard long red, long green, jalapeņos and if I am exceedingly lucky habaneros. I have seen people mention different kinds of chilis on here so maybe look back in the thread a little bit and see what kinds of chili people have used. I can only go by reputation as they are also unavailable in Australia but I hear the chipotles in adobo sauce are unreal so whack them in for sure.

I personally prefer my chili without tomatoes. The flavour should be all about the chili and I find tomato a little bit distracting. You are doubling up a little there by adding garlic powder as well as garlic cloves. My philosophy with garlic is 'too much garlic is never enough' but I'd probably just use extra garlic cloves if I wanted it really garlicy. Sriracha sauce is also very garlicy and to me is more of an asian chili flavour so personally I'd leave that out. If you enjoy the taste of it in there however, by all means leave it in.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
So I just ordered some of these - http://www.amazon.com/Empacadora-San-Marcos-Chipotle-11-Ounce/dp/B000H27MYI

I am going to throw them in my next chili batch along with a ghost pepper or two that I bought off ebay. How many chipotle peppers should I throw in if I am using roughly 2kg of meat? Also, how much more awesome can I expect my next chili batch to be due to these things? I have read nothing but rave reviews about them in my googling.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
Okay cool. Just gotta wait for them to arrive in the mail which should be this week. Then I have to wait for the ghost peppers which will takes ages.

The last batch I made using ironleg's recipe I made the stock myself and it owned. The only thing premade (well apart from brewing own beer etc) was the chili powder. I might make my own ghost chili powder with the ghost peppers I am buying. I can hardly loving wait.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
Well I have tried throwing a bunch of habaneros in it in the past and while I enjoyed the flavour the heat wasn't quite high enough for me. I bought 50-60 dried ghost pepper pods off ebay so I can chuck one or two in the curries and chilis that I make to easily get it up to the right level.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

Turds in magma posted:

Where exactly do you live, such that you can't buy chipotle peppers in the grocery store?!
Yep as that dude said, Australia. I can get some good stuff from this website however http://www.usafoods.com.au/

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
Just had my chipotles in adobo sauce arrive. I didn't know 3.5oz was so small D: Luckily I got five cans.

Now I just need to wait for my ghost peppers and it's ultimate chili time.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
Do you cook it the whole time in a covered slow cooker? To make it nice and thick it needs to be uncovered so water can escape via water vapour. I believe cornmeal (I think there are so many different versions of cornsomething. The coarse yellow stuff) added to a chili can also help in its thickness.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
Will definitely be making my next chili with less liquid as per cornface's suggestions.

Beer must go in though.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
My ghost peppers arrived today :getin:

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

The Lord Bude posted:

I had at it with the potato masher too towards the end, since I didn't have as long as I wanted for cooking.
Why?

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

bunnielab posted:

There is a one true chili though?

Beans are acceptable in a mince meat chili as they add needed texture. Tomato is never welcome and brings nothing to the dish but moisture.
And sweetness. Having said that I don't put tomatoes in my chili.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
How long does chili usually last when stored in the fridge? The good ol' smell test would be adequate enough to test if it's safe for eating wouldn't it?

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

Bollock Monkey posted:

I've seen a few UK-based people in this thread bemoaning the lack of chilli varieties you can get over here. I just found this website and it seems to have a good, well-priced selection.
I would kill for a place like this to exist in Australia.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

The Lord Bude posted:

You mean like this?

http://www.fireworksfoods.com.au/

(Please refrain from actually killing someone now)
:stare:

So what's your address so I can... thank you for this.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
I am a Gold Coaster and wouldn't be too bothered making the trip to stock up. What's the name of the place?

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
Is there a reason to remove the seeds apart from reducing heat levels?

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

cornface posted:

Or just don't use a gallon of liquid and cook it for three hours on high so the meat doesn't turn to mush.
Even though this guy needs his red title changed to MUST CONDEMN REDUCING AT ALL COSTS, I took his advice and used less liquid in my chili and it was about 10x better.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
What are people's thoughts on using kashmiri chilis? I haven't seen them mentioned yet.

Apparently they add a really rich red colour to any dish they're added to. On a personal level this is desirable to me - the redder my chili looks the more appetising. I've never actually managed to get my hands on them so maybe the flavour is all wrong or something. I am going whole hog and making home-made beef stock and using buffalo meat for my next chili, so I was thinking of perhaps debuting kashmiri chilis as well if they are in fact suitable.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
My chili I made using a variation of ironleg's recipe from the first page of this thread.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
He almost did it right. Lose the tomato paste.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Wouldn't running water wash out a lot of the flavor out, though?
It will wash out some but capsaicin is not water soluble so it shouldn't do too much damage.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
Coopers Red an Australian beer that the rest of the world probably hasn't heard of is my chili beer of choice after much experimentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
While you're busy not adding beans to your chili, remember to also not add tomato.