Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
This is what I did today:

Diced up half a sweet onion, half an orange bell pepper, an entire red bell pepper, four cloves of garlic. While that was sauteing, cubed two pounds of chuck steak and seared it in small batches in canola oil in the bottom of the pot.

Deglazed the pot with a shot of Jack and added 1 can each of diced tomatoes, tomato sauce(*), corn, pinto beans, and black beans. (Drained the latter three first, tomato sauce following this recipe: http://www.cookingcomically.com/?page_id=33.)

Added the veggies and steak, and chopped up a couple serranos and threw those in too. Added a good unmeasured shake of various spices (onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne, chili powder), a tablespoon of sriracha, some fresh ground black pepper, a good squeeze of mesquite honey, and about 8 oz of the hard cider pictured.

Topped up with more tomato sauce. I have a can of the chipotles in adobo, but this is already way too busy (and almost too spicy) so I'm saving them for next time.

What should I have done differently?

EDIT for timg

EDIT #2 for final product:

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

fuckpot posted:

When you say bell peppers you mean what us Aussies call capsicum right? Don't use them. They are nothing but flavourless mush in a chili. In Australia all I can get are standard long red, long green, jalapeños and if I am exceedingly lucky habaneros. I have seen people mention different kinds of chilis on here so maybe look back in the thread a little bit and see what kinds of chili people have used. I can only go by reputation as they are also unavailable in Australia but I hear the chipotles in adobo sauce are unreal so whack them in for sure.

I personally prefer my chili without tomatoes. The flavour should be all about the chili and I find tomato a little bit distracting. You are doubling up a little there by adding garlic powder as well as garlic cloves. My philosophy with garlic is 'too much garlic is never enough' but I'd probably just use extra garlic cloves if I wanted it really garlicy. Sriracha sauce is also very garlicy and to me is more of an asian chili flavour so personally I'd leave that out. If you enjoy the taste of it in there however, by all means leave it in.

Next batch: I left out the sriracha. I did put in jalapenos, serranos, chipotles in adobo sauce, and cayenne. (And the merciless peppers of Quetzlzacatenango!) Balanced (sort of) by brown sugar, honey, and 12 oz or so of Mexican coke.

I've kind of officially gone crazy.

EDIT: This stove is a relic from the 40s and it takes way too much futzing to maintain a good simmer. :(

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 16, 2013

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Chili is as chili does.

Last night:

Before:

During:

After:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

What?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

I believe that he is referring to you accidentally posting your Beef with Vegetable Soup in the chili thread, instead of the "What did you cook last night" thread.

Feh. Chili is as chili does, and if you'd smelled it or tasted the meat, you'd have said, mmm, chili. :)

EDIT:
Hmm, new page. Let's ask this question. Adding liquid, I always hear use a can of beer. Alton Brown just recommends a "middle of the road" ale; so far I've used Guinness, Newcastle Brown, Mexican Coke, Crispin's Apple Cider... what all do people like?

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 3, 2013

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
What about the freezer? I have some stuff from January/February I'm wondering about...

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

A week but chili is something you can stick in the freezer and reheat without much difficulty or taste loss too.

On this note: how exactly does one deal with, say, a quart-sized-Ziploc-bag brick of frozen chili? Fridge? Countertop? Microwave? Skillet? Toss it in a pot of boiling water then reduce it back down?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
I just had a great idea in the shower.

Dessert chili.

Picture this: Jellybeans, chocolate chunks, candied fruit, all in a chili-pepper infused dark chocolate sauce, topped with white chocolate shavings and whipped cream.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Hollismason posted:

What's something that would be like a low to medium heat but with a kind of smokey flavor.

Chipotle-flavor tabasco sauce, maybe...

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Everything else was sweet, tomatoey, one tasted like they used Chef Boyardee Ravioli sauce, some mother fucker put meatballs in their chili, someone else had so much italian sausage in theirs...

Clearly you wandered into a spaghetti sauce cookoff by mistake.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Better A, B or C?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
I made a three bean chili. (Not pictured: the shot of jalapeno vodka I deglazed with, the bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale I poured in, or the half can of chipotles in adobo sauce that went in.)

Pinto, chocolate, and coffee.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

litany of gulps posted:

I'm getting triggered, too. But, honestly, it was probably pretty tasty. Even if the garlic is a token effort and those peppers are lonely and that's a lot of tomato stuff and oh god

Both the garlic and the peppers were representative of larger amounts off camera. Not to mention the chipotles in adobo sauce which actually made the whole thing a little too spicy.

Guilty on the tomatoes though.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

Good chili cookbooks?

I just found this on Amazon and I’m wondering if it’s worth a buy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RRT34O6/?coliid=I2NVOV958XKFEO&colid=11GG29WHC6ECF&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I do not cook chili from a book. He who cooks chili from a book has forgotten the face of his father. I cook chili from my heart.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Ranter posted:

https://youtu.be/oxnMtQHehhs

A video about making chili in which none of the 3 cooks make chili

"So my recipe is actually chili con carne, not the typical 'chili'." :fuckoff:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Make mine a garlic sourdough bread bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Today on GMM: Will it chili? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZnoDNIW0OI