Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
All of these recipes look great, though judging on the way people are commenting, it almost feels as if the ideal chili is actually curry. Curry is also delicious, though, don't get me wrong. I'll always have to have beans in my chili though, the texture is almost as important as the taste for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I really only ever use bell peppers for texture or color anyway, even outside of chili. They're easily missed flavor-wise. Though I do like charred bell peppers in my fajitas.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

thelightguy posted:

Please don't murder me for using (canned, no less) beans or cheap meat. :ohdear:

thelightguy posted:

Any suggestions on how to improve it?

Well you could fix that, for starters. (Nicer meat- not ground will make a much larger difference than canned->dried beans)

Try it without any tomatoes. Even drained they're adding a lot of water, surely, and lowering the impact of what you do have. I also find they don't actually add a whole lot to the 'chili' flavor.

Also I think maybe using coffee AND cocoa might be a bit much? Try making your own chili powder with the recipe on the wiki maybe, it makes a big difference in flavor as well.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

thelightguy posted:

Looking at it, I had all the ingredients for that powder in there, I just didn't prepare it beforehand or use dried onion/garlic. I may screw with ratios a bit though. I assure you I didn't use any "chili spice" packet.

E: I'll try doing it without the tomatoes next time though. Sounds interesting.

Yeah, you had most of the stuff there but the ratios were quite different, and overall I think maybe less 'chili powder'? If the ground dried pepper and stuff you used was pre-ground it likely lost some punch too.

It's surprising how much oils dried peppers will release, I have more issues dealing with dried peppers than fresh regarding them.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Schmeichy posted:

Things I would change: I underestimated how many chiles I was adding. I made a chile powder out of chile de arbol and anchos, and I liked the flavor, but I added way too many fresh peppers. I liked it, but my husband is kind of a wimp when it comes to spice, so next time I'll add only one serrano and anaheim and up the less spicy jalapenos and chipotles. Also should have chopped the peppers finer and roasted them first.

As a heads up if you just want some flavor but not all the heat from the fresh chiles, throw them in whole without slicing or cutting them at all. It's not quite as potent as having them sliced and stuff but you get a lot less of the heat that way too as long as they don't get broken. Chopping them up finer will probably make each bite a bit hotter, I think.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Heres Hank posted:

I don't get it. Chili is not an international dish. I don't give a gently caress what Canadians tell me about how to make tacos or what a Japanese dude says about making spaghetti.

So Americans have no say about almost nothing, relatively.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Looks like it could be a good bean soup, or a dip maybe.

I say this as a huge fan of beans in chili.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Not familiar with that spice mix, but I find if I am going to be toasting some dried peppers to make a spice mix from then I might as well toast my cumin seeds too.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
As someone who has had to (mostly) cut out peppers from his diet, I will say that when you eat spicy things even somewhat regularly you really don't get a good feel for how spicy something is to people who don't eat spicy things at all.

Like, I never would've even considered black pepper to be 'spicy' but when it's the most potent thing you are eating normally, your frame of reference skews weirdly. So something with 3 whole packs of peppers is definitely going to be too much for most of those people. 1/3 of those peppers would've probably made them uncomfortable too though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I'm always a fan of black beans in chili. You're probably looking for just pinto beans or 'red beans'.