Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I'm making chili on Sunday for the superbowl, and I have decided that it's about drat time I made my own chili powder. I'm using the recipe from the goons with spoons wiki, http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Chili_Powder

I am supposed to throw out the seeds that came out of the dried chilies? I honestly can't tell from the wording or the pictures. I checked a different recipe and it recommended shaking the peppers out over the sink. So it seems I am not supposed to include the chili seeds in the chili powder. That surprises me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Super Bowl chili time! This is only my second time attempting a Texas style chili, and my first time using homemade chili powder. I usually make a midwest style chili with ground beef, tomatoes, and beans. I hope it comes out okay. :ohdear:

Two hours later it is all in the pot. (Holy crap am I slow)

Should be ready around kickoff.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Making chili today for the kickoff of the NFL season, so yesterday I made beef broth. I have never made home made beef broth before, so it was a new experience. I pull it out earlier today and its turned solid! It looks like brown jelly. I thought I hosed something up. But after looking online, apparently this is normal. In fact, its apparently a sign of a good broth. Okay then. Here's hoping that translates to good chili in about 3 hours.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Anyone know of any good green chili recipes? Tried finding some online and they are all lazy rear end in a top hat recipes that involves dumping in jars of salsa verde and poo poo. I was hoping for a recipe that involves actually roasting the tomatillos, peppers, and onions, but couldn't find any that looked good.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Ranter posted:

What search term did you input into google? The first 3 results that I clicked for chili verde are all real tomatillo and fresh peppers recipes.

Thank you.

Ranter posted:

What search term did you input into google? The first 3 results that I clicked for chili verde are all real tomatillo and fresh peppers recipes.

I searched "green chili with chicken". I want to use chicken instead of pork so I have the requisite bones to make my own stock. First bunch of hits just didn't look good to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Used this recipe and it came out quite good. Thanks!