Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

babies havin rabies posted:

Save that oil for cornbread.

Fried eggs cooked in chili grease are the best fried eggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Resurrecting this from my NICSA entry.

Chipotle and Chocolate Chili

Ingredients:

5 lbs trimmed and cubed Chuck
1 lb Spicy Breakfast Sausage (Owens is the best. Jimmy Dean sucks)
2 Medium Onions, minced
5 Cloves of Garlic, minced
1 bottle Double Chocolate Stout
3 oz Bourbon
32 oz Beef Broth
3.5 oz Chipotle In Adobo
9 Tbsp Chili Powder (Details below)
1 Tbsp Black Pepper
Salt to Taste

First off, you are going to want to brown your meat a little bit. I do this in two pans simultaneously, because otherwise it would take forever. IMPORTANT: You do not want to actually cook the meat through here at all. If you cook the meat to done now, it will be dry and tough in the final product. I find that thoroughly browning one side is the best that I can do without cooking the meat beyond medium rarish. Rocket hot pan with a little bit beef fat rendered out from the Chuck trimmings.

This is what you should be aiming for.

Once you reach this, put this batch of beef into a holding bowl, and start the next batch. Once all of the beef is done, brown the sausage. Really BROWN it. Don't just cook it through. You want some nice roasty brown color on there. Like this:

Put the sausage into the holding bowl with the beef. Drain about half of the fat off first.

After all this is done, deglaze the skillet with the bourbon!

In the pot, the moisture from the onions(which you should add now) will be more than enough to get all the fond off of the bottom. If you are using one pan, go ahead and deglaze that pan with the bourbon, then add the onion to it.

Sweat the onions on medium heat until they are completely translucent, then add the garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes. You don't want to caramelize the onions, just cook them through(the color you see in the picture is from the beef bits left in the pan, not from caramelized onion).

While your onions are sweating, you want to toast your chili powder. Chili powder is incredibly important (you would think that this would be obvious). My particular blend this go 'round is equal parts Durango, Ancho, San Antonio Red, and Dried Chipotle. If you happen to have a great place that has a great variety of dried chilies, then awesome, grinding your own is really good, and dirt cheap. If you do not, or you are lazy, there really is no shame in buying chili powder mixes from elsewhere, just buy small quantities that you know that you will go through quickly, so it will be reasonably fresh.

Even if your chilies have been toasted prior to blending, you are going to want to take your finished powder and toss it into a small pan over medium heat. You want to stir this regularly until the smell of chili punches you in the face, but before the burning smell. Friends always ask me how they will know that they have reached this point, and I always just respond with "trust me, you will know". Your kitchen will go from "Hmmm, I think that I can smell chili powder" to "Holy poo poo that smells amazing" within a few seconds.

After you are done toasting it, set it aside until your onions and garlic are done are done. Once they are, add all of your chili powder and stir it into a paste, then add all of your meat and the juice in the bowl back to the pot and stir it all up. It is likely that enough liquid came out of the beef while it was holding that a decent sauce has been created in the pot.

Because I didn't remember to put them into the main ingredients picture, here are the chipotles that I use, and how finely minced you want them.

You want to turn these bad boys into a paste.

Add all of these to the pot as well, including the excess adobo from the can. You can leave the adobo out to cut down a little on the spice. If you want to cut down on the spice further still, leave out half of the Chiptole. If you really want to cut down on the spice, don't eat chili, or grow pair of testicles and eat it anyway.

It should now look like this!

Then go ahead and stir in your stout!

At this point, you will want to stir in your broth. Now comes the slightly tricky part. You want the heat to be at just the right spot. You are looking for a very, very bare simmer. If you can get it, you want one, tiny line of bubbles breaking the surface of your chili. Be very careful on this, as if you ever get the mix to a full boil, or close to it, your meat is going to get stringy and tough.

Seriously, start your stove on the lowest setting, and come back in 30 minutes. If no bubbles at all are breaking the surface, turn it up a tiny bit and come back in 10 minutes. Repeat this until you get the right temperature.

You want to cook the chili uncovered, so that moisture evaporates, and your chili thickens/intensifies in flavor. You should stir this once every 30 minutes or so once you have found the perfect stove setting. Continue this until it is done, which is when it is very thick, and the meat is tender and falling apart when lightly pressured.

1 hour in.

4 hours in.

6 hours in.

6 1/2 hours in, and ready to eat.

Put that in your mouth.

The spice of this blend, and the additional chipotle is a very soft heat, that takes a while to build up. It is a very pleasant warming sensation that starts creeping from the tip of your tongue all the way to the back of your throat over the duration of the bowl. I think that the flavor of the chili is spot on at this point, so I wouldn't really add anything else, however if you want more heat, do what I do. Add this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Cap-2-oz/dp/B0007MXR92

It is flavorless, but 500,000 scoville units. I loving love this stuff for any application where I want more heat without affecting the overall flavor profile of the dish.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Pokeylope posted:

I've been on a cooking rampage since a whole foods opened up nearby, and chili's been on the menu more than a few times. I love making it because you can put nearly anything in the pot and it'll still turn out great if you follow some basic guidelines.

The Good Eats episode on chili is an excellent resource. Unfortunately, it's a tough one to watch as he does this hokey cowboy thing the whole time that wears thin rather quickly. So here's an quick list of helpful chili tips:

• For thickening, mexican corn flour is recommended. It's called masa harina, and it's a pain to find. Tortilla chips are made of the same stuff, so just crush a few handfulls up into your chili and let em simmer for a bit till they dissolve. Just make sure to account for the extra salt they'll be adding.

• I'm not a big fan of beer, you can use nearly anything as the liquid in your chili and it'll turn out just fine. I prefer smoked tea. It can be tough to find but I love how it brings sweet and smokey to the party with an extra caffeine kick.

• Brown your meat in the chili pot. High heat, tiny bit of oil, and only stir once per batch. Don't crowd the pot or the extra moisture will ruin everything. You'll probably need to brown in batches, setting the cooked meat aside till you need it again. You want the meat to stick to the pot and leave a nice brown film on the bottom, but not burn. It can take a few tries to get it right, but once you get the hang of it you can omit broth from the recipe as the glaze should give you plenty of meat flavor for your sauce.

• Wear gloves (or sandwich baggies if you don't have gloves) when handling chile peppers. Capsaicin likes to hide under you fingernails stick to your skin. Even thorough washing won't get it all off (not water soluble) and it can linger for hours, just waiting for you to rub your eyes or pick your nose.

• Don't go overboard with the spices. You can always add more later, but you can't get rid of it once it's in the pot. Wait till it's almost done before taste-testing and fine tuning your spices.

• Instead of chopping up tons of veggies, just add a jar or two of your favorite salsa. you might still want to toss in a few fresh veggies and peppers, but it'll save you a lot of hassle.

• Make your own chili powder. I promise you won't regret it. (provided you don't open the blender too soon and mace yourself)

• Don't be afraid to experiment. Chili involves some seriously powerful spices and it takes a concentrated effort to really ruin a pot of chili. Mushrooms, rice, nuts, fruit, chocolate, whatever. If you like it, toss it in the chili pot and see what happens.

I'm making a fresh pot this weekend, I'm definitely gonna try adding some cashews like crazyeyes recommended. Thats sounds delicious.

Chili should be thick enough to stand a spoon straight up, without adding anything else to it. Not sure why a thickener would be necessary.

Making your own chili powder, browning the meat, and using gloves for cutting up peppers are all good tips, but please do not call your other points "tips" in a chili thread. "Stuff that I think makes a tasty soup!" would work, but putting cashews, mushrooms, rice, broccoli, etc... into the pot causes it to cease being chili.

"I made some awesome Carbonara this weekend! The candied pecans and green bell peppers were the highlight of it!"

Edit: I really don't know how to make that sound less lovely. I'm sorry. :(

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 8, 2012

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Schmeichy posted:

I'm going to be making chili for the first time today, and I have a few questions. I'm making a texas-style chili similar to the recipe on the first page. Adding chuck, ground beef, and pork shoulder from last night's roast, pork stock, jalapenos, dried ancho peppers, anaheim, and serrano chiles (only like 2 of each), can of chipotles in adobe sauce,bell peppers, a few tomatoes and onions.

I have an oatmeal stout that I was going to add, but now I'm wondering if something else would be better. Would that be a desirable choice for the flavors I have going on? Should I go get some more chiles and a different beer? Are dried anchos good enough for the chili flavor? I have generic chili powder I could add too. The stock's simmering right now, so I got some time before I start making chili.

Oatmeal stout should work just fine. I love the good, malty dark beers for chili.

Anchos alone will be a fairly one-dimensional chili flavor, but with all the fresh peppers and chipotle, you should be good. Feel free to add some of the generic chili powder for a little more depth as long as it doesn't taste like sawdust. Don't forget to add Cumin though, as it is one of the main flavors that is included in pretty much every chili powder ever, and you won't get if you are just using dried chiles to make your own powder.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

Be careful with cumin. I don't usually use any in mine, and when I do I go very light on it with toasted whole cumin. Cumin is (at least to me) one of the spices with flavor even more potent than the massive amount of chilis I put it the pot, and it seems to make it taste more one-dimensional and...flat somehow?

Yeah, definitely with you on taking it easy with the Cumin. A little goes a long way, but if it isn't there at all, it just doesn't taste right to me.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Pretty much.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
http://www.penderys.com/chile-pods.html is your best friend for ordering chilies or powders, or a ton of other stuff really.

I would probably estimate 1.5 ounces per pound of meat, maybe. Should be plenty to be safe, without being a ridiculous amount left over.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Kasan posted:

But I come bearing chili :saddowns:.

No, you don't.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

ninjahedgehog posted:

Planning on making this tomorrow. Would this work by putting it in a slow cooker for the last six and a half hours, instead of futzing about with the pot temperature?

Definitely. I would probably crack the lid so that moisture can escape, and thicken up though.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Duxwig posted:

Great.
So how many chilis should I roast up? 1? 2? 5?

For 4 lbs of meat, I would probably go with 3oz of the guajillos, all 3oz of the anchos. Cut off the tops and deseed them. You can toast them a bit, but I honestly wouldn't risk losing all of your anchos if you overdid it, which can happen quickly. You will get plenty of flavor out of what you have, especially the chipotles.

How big is your can of Chipotles? If you don't want to completely overshadow the flavors of the other chilies, I wouldn't use more than 6oz. Those are really going to be your main spiciness driver. This ends up being really awesome though, since you can actually very easily control the spice of each serving. If your GF doesn't handle spice well, just chop up the chilies themselves, and add them. This will give a good bit of flavor, and a decent amount of spice. Save the adobo sauce, and add it directly to your serving for extra smokey deliciousness, and a hefty extra dose of spice.

Edit: I do totally agree with soaking the chilies in hot stock, then blending them. All the flavor, just much easier to deal with.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 25, 2013

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Basically, chop up the dried chilies a bit(I usually just cut rings with kitchen shears), and toss them into the blender. Put in just enough hot stock to cover them. That will be plenty of liquid in my experience. Let it sit for 30 minutes, then you should be good to blend.

As far as putting other spices in with it, I would avoid it. Cumin seeds are not going to get nearly as soft as the chilies do, and I don't think any blender in the world is going to get those seeds chopped up fine enough. Use your spice/coffee grinder for those.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

cornface posted:

In conclusion, stop putting a gallon of liquid in your chili and it won't be watery.

This is one of the bigger mistakes that people make when starting out with Chili. The meat itself will end up putting out a ton of liquid itself. You really want to just add your liquid chilies mixture, stir that around, and then add just enough flavorful liquid (stock, beer, whatever) to just cover the meat and then stir it in.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Choadmaster posted:

Not that I'm necessarily disagreeing; this is just a question: wouldn't more stock/beer/etc. being allowed to reduce result in more intense flavor?

As for corn meal as a thickener, I used that once and it worked okay but I've seen lots of suggestions online to use masa (corn flour for tortillas) instead of corn meal because it's ground finer. I haven't tried that though.

You could get a more intense flavor by adding more liquid and letting it reduce, but unless you are specifically wanting to make your chili taste like X, instead of just have some of that flavor, then there is no need. It also adds more cooking time, and more chance for your beef to overcook.

And yeah, do not use regular corn meal for a thickener. Masa would be what you would want to use, but that's a last resort, only to be used if you are on a time limit and need the chili done earlier than you can reduce it, after you have already put more liquid in than you should.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Turds in magma posted:

Masa isn't just for thickening if you gently caress up: it's an integral ingredient in any true southwest chili

Just like cream is an integral ingredient for any true Italian Carbonara.

No.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

I believe that he is referring to you accidentally posting your Beef with Vegetable Soup in the chili thread, instead of the "What did you cook last night" thread.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
As much as I love Alton Brown, he is from LA, and went to college in Georgia, where he currently lives. His chili credentials are not up to par, and the resulting recipes have proven to be unworthy of the name.

As far as what type of beer, you want something with a very strong flavor, since you will not be adding much. I go with coffee stouts usually.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 3, 2013

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Christmas Miracle posted:

I've tried this before, but i didn't prefer it for two reasons. First of all I like to have the chili on the stove top so that i can skim off any foam that forms, second i have found that when i cook it in the oven, when i open the oven to check it and take the top off, it's often boiling too hard for me. I don't cook the meat until it's shreds, and i have found that reaching too hard of a boil makes the final product more tough.
That's actually part of the reason i cook it with the cover off, if i put the cover on it almost always reaches a boil, but my chili almost always turns out better if it's at a very light simmer the whole time. It's a matter of taste, i guess. I'd be interested in other people's thoughts on this.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to put it in the over at that high a temperature. Even on the stove, you want it on a very, very gentle simmer at the hottest. The meat will break down just fine at that temperature.

The only reason I cook it on the stovetop most times is literally just because I like having my house smell like delicious chili. If I am going out to run errands or something, I just get my chili up to the right level of simmer, then put it in a 210 degree oven, covered. Comes out absolutely perfect after 3 hours. You won't get any reduction/thickening, which is fine, just don't put in too much liquid at the start.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I am afraid to ask what the yellow chunks are.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Saint Darwin posted:

Otherwise you have meat in a thin gravy.

You are either putting in too much liquid, or not cooking it long enough. The chilies are more than enough thickening power if you are doing it properly.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

UnoriginalMind posted:

I'm mostly new to cooking and was thinking of making this recipe. A few questions, if anyone can answer them.

1. How many servings does this make?
2. Would cooking this in a crock-pot be a good idea? I've got a small three quart one under the counter I've been itching to break out. If so, preparation would be mostly the same, save for the size of the recipe of course. Would this recipe work well on a smaller scale, say half? Otherwise I can stick it in a stew pot.
3. I don't have any bourbon on hand at the moment, though I've got just about all of the other ingredients. Can I substitute anything or is that not possible?

Thanks. Excited to get started on learning the craft of chili-making.

It makes me happy to see that people are still making this!

1. It makes a big batch. Probably about 10 servings as written. Scaling it down shouldn't be a problem at all though.

2. For the slow cooker, go right ahead, you are just going to want to cook it on low with the lid off for pretty much the entire time. Hopefully you can get the very, very light bubbling simmer with that.

You really want to still sear the meat, cook the onions/garlic down, etc... So you are going to need to dirty another pot/pan anyway. I personally wouldn't bother with the slow cooker, but if you are itching to use it, it should still be every bit as tasty.

3. You can leave the bourbon out without losing too much. There are already a ton of really intense flavors in it, so the bourbon never really shines through, it just adds a little something.

As with most stews, it's better the next day. It also freezes beautifully. Enjoy!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Slowhanded posted:

This has probably been covered, but I'm having trouble finding it. What's a good online retailer for chiles? I'd go to my local hispanic grocer, but they close right as I finish work everyday.

http://www.penderys.com/

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Looks really good to me. Just a couple of pieces of advice:

1) I like cinnamon in chili, especially with Chorizo, but be VERY sparing with it. A little goes a very long way.

2) Taste the finished product before adding the liquid smoke. The chipotles in adobo may be enough smokey flavor, especially if you want the brighter notes of the chili to come through. Liquid smoke is powerful, and can easily subdue the bright notes.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Scientastic posted:

Don't mix ground and whole meat, it's weird. Pork and beef, yes. Whole and ground, no.

The chillies are fine.

I actually really like some ground meat in with chili sometimes. It helps add some thickness and body. It completely breaks down by the time that the whole chunks are tender enough.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Butch Cassidy posted:

I'm bummed that the local candy store owned by a chile head was sold and no longer sells dried peppers. The lady had a bunch of them at decent prices and the sad selection I can find in my county are mostly marked up way too high. :smith:

But, luckily, my mother-in-law sent me a giant sack of milder peppers that make decent base that I can doctor up with other chilis I find reasonably priced. But it is running low. Any decent webstores with bulk dried chilis worth ordering? Or should I nag my wife's mother to send me another jumbo sack she can just buy cheaper than dirt on the side of the road?

http://www.penderys.com/

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
https://www.penderys.com is about 20% cheaper, Texas local, and has a way bigger selection than Penzey's. I love them.

As for buying preground, you can do that, but if you have a blender, soak in hot water/beef broth, then blend them instead of grinding dry. It's what I have been doing instead for a few years now, and it works great.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Lehban posted:

So I've been known to make a good minced meat bean store bought chilipowder with some bell peppers chili, but reading this thread i realize there's better chili out there waiting to be eaten.

Living in Denmark decent chili is hard to get, but i can get jalapenos fresh, so my plan was to order chipotle in adobo and dried chili from http://www.mexgrocer.co.uk/ in bulk, and my question is what chilis would be best for a not too strong chili? Ancho?
I'd preferably order just one or two types in bulk so my budget isn't ruined.

They've got a lot of the darker varieties, but not a lot of the brighter ones. Looks like no California or New Mexico that I can see. I'd probably go Ancho and Guajillo if you are only aiming for two. You are definitely going to want to go the paste route because of the guajillo skins (rehydrate in hot beef broth for 15 minutes, then liquefy in blender).

Should give you a good balance though, and the chipotle will be perfect with them.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
2 full cups of masa...? Even with that much meat, that's gonna be some seriously thick, corny chili.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Yeah I'm a little unclear as to why it calls for 10 pounds of meat, too. For six people.

I like a nice strong chili, but a full pound of powder seems a bit much... I think that entire recipe is a little suspect...

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Yeah I'm a little unclear as to why it calls for 10 pounds of meat, too. For six people.

EDIT: Hmm... is there something I can use in place of some/all of the masa harina?

Finely ground corn chips. Food processor if you can. You'll need to dial down your normally added salt accordingly.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
If you insist on putting beans in chili, red kidney beans are the only acceptable choice.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Depends on the consistency. If it's soupy, cook it uncovered. If it gets to the right consistency, but the meat isn't tender enough yet, cover it.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I've got 3lbs of coarse-ground venison that I'll be making into chili this weekend. I generally end up "watering down" the venison by cutting it with other meats. Generally 50% venison, 25% beef, 25% pork. It ends up being very noticeably venison, while not being so gamey as to throw off the unitiated.

My question though is, my go to chili recipes lately all include chipotle, but I am afraid that the chipotle will tread all over the venison. Anyone have any thoughts on leaving it out, and focusing on more standard ancho, guajillo, etc... to let the venison shine through, just getting heat from cayenne?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
All three are good. To me though, San Marcos is by far the best. It is the exact flavor that I think of when I think chipotle.

I had never noticed the "extra" L though...

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
This is it. This is the "chili" recipe that has finally broken me.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

neogeo0823 posted:

Why, exactly? The beans and ground beef? No, wait, it's the addition of the celery, isn't it? I had 1 bell pepper to use and wanted to bulk out veggie content some more. Looking over the rest of the ingredients, it's really not that different from any other chili. I didn't use any premade spice packets, I used decent beer that complimented the flavors of the spices, I cooked everything the way you'd normally expect it to be cooked. Is it the cocoa powder and coffee? Try it some time. You'd be surprised how much it doesn't taste like chocolate or coffee at all in the end.

Beyond what you mentioned, the main problems are that you used about 5lbs worth of tomatoes, with only 3.5lbs of meat, way too much liquid and way less actual chili powder than would be normal. You made some kind of weird southwest inspired watery spaghetti sauce with beans in it.

edit: I am totally on board with a little bit of dark cocoa or coffee in chili. Adds a good darkness and depth of flavor (not necessary if you have a good bit of toasted ancho though)

Beans and ground beef are not "my pure chili ideal", but it's fine.

A little bit of celery I don't think is a good idea, but is not gross.

Bell pepper is again, not a great idea IMO, but would be fine if you didn't already have so much sweetness from the tomatoes and the sweet beer.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 16, 2016

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
A+ chili, A+ post. We're proud of you goon.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Mexican chorizo, and I use both beer and stock.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, I am probably the biggest "ONE TRUE CHILI" Texan in this thread, and I'll still toss in a few spoonfuls of salsa into a big pot of chili sometimes to add just a hint of sweet, rounds out the flavor and it seems to pull the texture together as well. Tomato paste is a bridge too far for me though.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Ben Nevis posted:

I really hesitate to do this with jarred salsa, but I'll admit to doing it with leftovers from a Mexican restaurant with good fresh salsa.

Yeah, any shelf bottled salsa that's chunky is a bad idea. The veggies will not break down, and stay crunchy thanks to the calcium chloride, which would be a super weird texture in chili. A smoother salsa, or any that you find in the refrigerated section should be fine though.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Headed out deer hunting next weekend, so time to clean the freezer out of last season's venison. Easily one of my best batches of ground chili ever.

Hardware:
Camo Lone Star
Beef broth
Onion
Garlic
2lb venison chili grind
2lb ground venison
3lb beef lchili grind 92/8
1lb Owen's hot sausage for some fat and flavor
3oz Bulleit Bourbon

Software:
1/2 can chipotle en adobo
Arbols
Cumin (ground with the arbols)
Ancho
New Mexico
San Jose
Smoked hot paprika
shitload of black pepper
Beef Better Than Bouillon

Total cook time, 3.5 hours

Rough directions: Brown all the meat. Actually get some brown color, not just grey, set aside. Sweat onions/garlic in the meat fat, deglaze with bourbon. Toast chili powder in bigass pot. Add meat to powder and stir. Add beer, broth, bouillon and minced chipotles.
Cook until desired consistency. The ground meat itself is ready within 2 hours, but it will be too runny.

Total chili powder amount was 18 tablespoons for the 8 pounds of meat, which came out just about perfect flavor-wise, with a mild-to-medium level of slow, warming heat. My spice novice girlfriend started out saying "Oh man, this isn't really spicy at all", but by the end of the bowl was "Oh! okay, need some milk now." Definitively venison, but not overpoweringly gamey. Very happy with the result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks for the praise and the well-wishes. We'll be hunting out around Abilene, Texas. Our ranch has so many deer it's probably unfair to call it hunting though. We keep two big fallow fields open with some wild growing wheat, a bunch of prickly pair and mesquite on the outskirts, with a well. Pretty much deer paradise. Last time I was out there, just one of the fields probably had 2 dozen deer grazing.