Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I made ground turkey chili yesterday because I didn't want to eat 2 pounds of beef.

I also added beans, since purism is kind of out the window already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I'm gonna make some chili tomorrow, its gonna be good :gritin:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Any suggestions for a chili that is way spicier than I was planning? Its been cooking for 2 hours and I did a taste test to check on the flavor and it was way spicier than I expected, I guess those dried chili arbols had more kick in them than I remembered

I added some molasses, but I was wondering what other suggestions people have for it

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I added some more molasses and some pureed tomatoes and that seems to have gotten everything back to the preferred flavor profile. I pureed the initial batch of peppers (fresh serranos and poblanos, rehydrated chipotles and arbols) I put in there, so I can't really swap out the liquid.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Forgot to post this, I added way too many Arbol Chiles, but it was still really good

It's got chorizo, short rib, and Chuck steak in it

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

MSG is fantastic in Chili and all the health concerns about it are completely bogus as far as I know

Did the rib meat make it greasy? That’d be my concern

I skimmed some of the grease off while cooking, cant really say if it was from the shortribs or the chorizo

The issue with Arbols was that I put way too many in and even after adding more tomatoes and molasses, it was still really hot for me and barely edible to my friends

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Making an all-bean chili later today, pretty excited.

I did that a few weeks ago and I spent the entire time eating it thinking it would be have been way better with beef in it

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
If you want a great practical understanding of the role of toasting spices, start making Indian food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
We should ICSA for chili, it's been a while