Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Maybe it's a regional thing, but any meat based chili with beans I've ever seen here (NY/NJ area) has been kidney. I usually see black beans in veggie chili.

I'm also in NY. I've seen black beans in meat chili, but kidney beans are way more common, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I don't care if beans are chili sacrilege, it's good.

Much like pineapple pizza is very good, despite what naysayers might think.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

adorai posted:

Only with ham and the right bbq sauce.

Pineapple alone on a pizza is enough for me. If I had to add anything else, it would be bacon, for it's crispiness and saltiness, to juxtapose the dulcet squish of the lightly cooked pineapple on the slice.

However, I accept your Hawaii-esque variant on the pizza and will not ridicule you for choosing it instead of some minimalist fetishist recipe.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I bought ingredients for chili on Friday while I was hungry and made way too much chili*. On the plus side, football all day today and invited friends over.

I used bottom round, cubed, and had some chopped meat in there to add some volume. Had beans, too. And a lot of "guanchilos" or whatever the name of those smokwd/dried peppers were. Got them from the Hispanic food store, they were $4 and came in a big-rear end ziploc. Legit delicious. I will use them for every chili. Beer and molasses also made it in. I didn't add much heat at all to this batch because some friends can't take anything hotter than jalapeño. Just....God drat do I love chili.

*never too much chili.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Without onion and garlic, what reason is there to live?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

When I make chili I take a gently caress ton of fresh peppers, stem em, maybe rough chop, and put in a big rear end pot and kinda steam em in there. Then I put the smoked/dried peppers in there to reconstitute them in the fresh pepper water. Then it all gets blended together into a slurry before it goes into the chili pot. Anybody else do this? Because it's awesome. It was a great year for peppers in my garden and I did this more than a few times even if only to use up everything I had from the yard.

No bell peppers allowed. (or do use bell peppers. Who cares. You do you.)

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I just don't grow bell peppers in my garden, dude

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Saute your spices? gently caress no.

I put my spices in an offset smoker for 12 hours before grinding them and putting them in. I don't know what you're doin', but it ain't chili

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Control Volume posted:

One thing I learned from this thread is that, in order to make chili, one of the crucial ingredients is to be vehemently wrong about something stupid

If being wrong makes good chili, I must make a masterful chili

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Anything that's not an egg everything isn't a bagel in my eyes