Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

tronester posted:

Thank you so much for creating this thread!

I have 3 lbs of ground chuck I need to use. I also have around 5 dried Ancho chilli pods.

I was thinking of the following recipe:

3lbs ground chuck
5 de-seeded ancho chilli pods, soaked in water and a quarter cup of vinegar then blended.
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1teaspoon of salt
Half of a white onion chopped finely
1tablespoon ground cumin

This is my first chilli recipe so let me know if I am missing anything or if my proportions are off. Thanks!

That's probably more salt than you'd need for 3lbs. start with 1/4tsp, and then add another 1/4tsp at the end of the cooking and adjust. What cooking liquid are you going to use? Reserving the soaking water to add never hurts.

Some general chili advice is that the base is meat, chilis, cumin, and garlic. Add anything you want on top of that to your liking - garam masala, allspice, cocoa powder, oregano, tomatoes, beans, onions, whatever, just make it what you want. Although, adding some alcohol is a great idea, especially if you're going to use tomatoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
I grew up with cornbread and tortillas, depending on the sporting event.

And boiling birds forever seems like a good way to have bland meat

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
The only thing that goes in my chili colorado is

BANQUET BEER

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

signalnoise posted:

Chili aspic

aspichili

for reference, smoked ham hocks, ox tails, beef heart and such

YEAH DOG fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 9, 2011

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
Yo, yo poo poo probably ain't chilil. Stop being terrible and asking about it.

Here's some real advice: half the point of simmering a chili is to mellow out the alcohol. Sous vide'ing the chili means that the beer has nowhere to go and is pretty much terrible. However, the meat was the best texture ever. If you're going to sv a chili, cook the meat sv, and the sauce of the stovetop.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

signalnoise posted:

Thanks for this, btw what is your favorite temperature for a chili? I like about like 55

After a bit of googling and a while of avoiding the thread because I thought I had posted something completely incoherent, ya 55C. I've since done the same chili with everything except the beer in the SVS, then picked out the meat, added the beer to the sauce, and simmered to taste. The texture is so much better for cubed beef, but I will still always add a ground pork for some different textures goin on.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

barbudo posted:

The issue with that, in my opinion, is that the "sauce" derives liquid both from peppers, any other sauces or vegetables you might add, as well as juices from the meat. But it sounds interested.

Easy peasy just empty the meat juice from the sv bag into the sauce and make sure you get the delicious fond mallards from when you sear the meat. Or get some bones and simmer them in the sauce.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
HEATHEN

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

angerbeet posted:

I made this cornbread I found off tastespotting since I was bored with my old cornbread recipe, to go with the chili linked off of theyummylife (cooking for other people = don't just make your regular chili that will take their heads off with spice.)

I was quite pleased with how it turned out, though I cut down on the jalapenos and didn't measure the green onions. I have better things to do with my time than measure green onions.

Don't make friends with people that hate food.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

angerbeet posted:

It's too late now!

With enough episodes of CSI, I bet you could fix that

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
Good job on the chili, welcome to our hipster poor people food dance battle gang

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
That's adorable.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

paraquat posted:

In my defence, though: I'm a girl!

Pretty sure you'd get skewered for calling yourself retarded because you're a girl ~teehee~

Sorry about your everything about you.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Walk Away posted:

Don't do this.

It's proving a point.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm seeing lots of beef, how do you guys feel about pork and a pork stock? Beef anything is hella expensive over here, pork is much more reasonable.

Are you a retarded girl?

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
Mush some beans as a thickener, don't tell any antibeantites.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
Made some chili last night, here's some of the specs:

Kidney beans
Chicken
NO ALCOHOL!!
Carrots
Onions
Some half-red jalapeno and "chili powder"
No fucks given ohoho

Overall, good chili build.

e: forgot tomatoes!

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

pr0k posted:

It looks slightly better until you do the double-take and realize it's for four pounds of meat. Which means the presidential ratio of 1/4 tsp cumin per pound of meat is an honored tradition I guess.

I was thinking it was kinda close to my chili colorado recipe, if a little under-spiced, and then realized the same thing. Even with 1 tsp of cumin per pound of meat, I don't know if the cumin flavor is overly noticeable in mine.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Zedlic posted:

I'm very interested in this too. Hearts are incredibly cheap, healthy and seem like a good cut to use in chili. Anyone tried it?

SYFY HYPHY posted:

aspichili

for reference, smoked ham hocks, ox tails, beef heart and such

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Kasan posted:

But I come bearing chili :saddowns:.

In seriousness, its not bad. Needs more beef and less most everything else, but still good. I made some beef heart chili a month back and forgot to take pictures of it.

This ain't no namby pamby feel-good soup thread, stranger :clint:

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
Post a pic? If they're just dried chiles, you can reconstituted them in the chile, or do it before hand and chop it up. Add the chile soaking liquid, too, if you do that.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

The start of chili colorado. 4lbs beef stew meat, 1lb ground pork, 1lb ground lamb. Coors, tomoatoes, chilis, 'Murica.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
Why waste a ribeye? Chili and stews are good for big, lean cuts of round or top. I mean, if you have it, and don't want to spend money to buy a different cut just for chili, go for it, but...it's like grinding down a porterhouse to make chicken fried steak.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Crazyeyes posted:

What's the general consensus on pasta in chili? I know someone who will mix in a lb our so if died pasta I'm the last half hour or so of cooking. It's pretty darn tasty, but no longer "chili" in my book. Helps with the high-liquid issue some non-reducers run into, however.

THE ONE TRUE CHILI REQUIRES NO CARBS

Nah it doesn't matter, and is mostly regional. Our family from the south has chili over cornbread; family from the north has it over noodles, and Colorado family serves over rice. Who cares. But I wouldn't cook any of those IN the chili liquid.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I've heard of cornbread and rice, and those are pretty good, but where in the gently caress do you serve chili with pasta?? What region is this popular in?? I have never ever heard this.

Upstate New York, German immigrants. But ya, Cincinnati/skyline chili is served over noodles.

cornbread supremecy

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
Double batch of chili colorado + a can of black beans to thicken it or some retarded poo poo for babies

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

YEAH DOG posted:

Double batch of chili colorado + a can of black beans to thicken it or some retarded poo poo for babies

top right, your mom's favorite dildos

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Doom Rooster posted:

Looks really good to me. Just a couple of pieces of advice:

1) I like cinnamon in chili, especially with Chorizo, but be VERY sparing with it. A little goes a very long way.

If you like cinnamon in chili, you will like garam masala in chili. Again, be sparing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

FaradayCage posted:

Char those babies on the open flame.

I have an electric, so I have to broil them like a barbarian. Never used them in chili, but roasted poblanos should be their own food group.

Nothin says cooking like a torch in the kitchen. Get one of these and blister some peppers.