Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

BBQ Dave posted:

Okay I'm going for it again! :dance: Chili cook off is on October 1st, gonna Drive 200 miles to defend my title. Wish me luck. we should do a goon chili cook off, they're all over!

Nice, good luck to you! I successfully defended in mine this year, last year I entered a pork green chili and won, this year I defended with a Texas red, next year I'm going to defend with bean soup.

This year I stocked up on dried chilis and used
20 anchos
15 california
15 pasilla
10 guajillo
5 chilhuacle negro
10 toasted arbol
5 morita
10 pequin
10 tepin
3 habanero
1/4 ghost pepper

Meat was 8 pounds of stew beef, 3 pounds chorizo, 1 pound linguica, 3 pounds beef short rib, 6 pounds beef neck.

Washed, stemmed, and when possible seeded then soaked all the chilis for ~2 hours, used the soak water to make two stocks, a stock with the beef neck, and a parmesan cheese rind stock, then all liquid used in the chili was 4:1 ratio beef stock:cheese rind stock

6 onions, 4 skinned tomatoes

Spiced heavily with garlic, cumin, oregano, and paprika, lightly with black pepper, also juice from about 4-5 limes.

You wouldn't believe how long I had to spend skimming off chorizo fat, but the end product was a chili that I think may very well be the best chili I ever made. I don't measure during chili making and instead just taste a lot and add more or less as I feel like, so I doubt I could ever make exactly the same chili again, but it was very good, not too hot for the masses at the cookoff and the heat had an absurdly long trail off that you could still taste minutes later. The heat even seemed to have a complexity, which seemed to have 2 distinct peaks in hotness, an early medium one and a ~5-10 seconds later hotter one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Elblanco posted:

I was wondering if anyone had an idea of a "Chili Starter Kit" Like basic stuff to get me started in making chili. I've always wanted to try it but have been too nervous due to not really knowing what to do or where to start. I'm also a huge baby when it comes to chilies, as in I can't even deal with jalapenos. Anyone have any ideas to help?

I'm realy wanting to get out of my comfort zone when cooking, I just don't know where to start with most things haha.

One thing to bear in mind is that chili is not at all about classiness and there are so many strongly flavored things in it that it's incredibly hard to mess up and come up with something bad.

In terms of peppers, I like dried peppers for red chilis and fresh for green chilis. For red, start with a base chili flavor of ancho chilis, that is a dried poblano. They are the classic chili flavor and are between 1/10 and 1/5 the potency of jalapenos, so you aren't going to be making something too spicy.

If you are concerned about your cooking skills, chorizo is delicious and has the right flavor profile for chili already, but you're going to probably need to skim fat off the top of the finished product since it's a pretty fatty sausage. A couple links of chorizo removed from casing and added to your meat mixture is a good thing, because chorizo is really dang good.

Cutting your meat into cubes will give a much better texture than using ground beef.

If you make something too spicy, serve it over rice.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
My annual chili cook-off is this weekend, but it is so loving hot, I'm going to hate cooking tomorrow. I'm a back-to-back champ with 2 different recipes, going for a threepeat this year and decided to defrost some things I've had in my freezer for a couple months, a pig heart and 2 rabbits. Going to also be using some beef but figured I'd throw in some weird items. It's either hubris or I'm going to dunk on everyone (it's hubris).

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I roasted the rabbit separately and it did not work with the flavors at all. It was too mild. The heart is great with everything, but swapping the rabbit for more beef.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Chilis rehydrating. No tomatoes at all this year.

Chili Paste

Original idea.

First time cooking heart myself.

Easier to clean than I thought.

Heart cooking in ghee. Chili paste and oxtail beef broth in the back.

Rabbit was roasted separately, I kept basting it in its own juices but it 100% did not work with the chili. This was all a mistake and I ran an audible and did stew beef instead.

A look at it this morning. I went a little liquidy because I had to get there by 2pm and voting wasn't until 6pm so I let it reduce a little more in the crock pot I had been keeping it warm in.

The fools let us choose our own competition numbers. Only 8 chilis this year, down from 16 last year, 14 in 2015, and 11 in 2014. It was over 100 degrees 2 days in a row this weekend and San Francisco apartments and homes do not have air conditioning.

The golden ladle for winning.

Full prize set. Actually I managed to tear my oven mitt while cooking so it is a straight up replacement for something I broke while making the chili.

My 3 golden ladles.

My 4 aprons (top 3 is an apron, I came in 3rd in 2014)

fermun fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Sep 4, 2017

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Ranter posted:

gently caress yeah man well done.

I live around there too and if I had to make chili in 100+ weather I would have said gently caress it.

It's an open contest. You are 100% invited if you can get a chili to about 2 blocks from 24th and Mission BART stop. A weekend in the last 2 weeks of August or first 2 weeks of September is when it happens though. If you are still in the Mission next year, let me know and I'll give you some details.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Ranter posted:

Tell me more about the tomatillos. How to pick good ones, how to prepare for use etc. They're easy to get here. Is canned an option?

I always use fresh because I live in the same neighborhood you do and they're so easy to get here. The husk shouldn't be totally wilted, it should still be green and somewhat tight. If the husk is loose but still green or just has a little bit of yellow or brown, it's fine. I just peel the husk back, cut out any blemishes, rinse in cold water, halve, and broil skin up until it blackens a bit.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Maybe he means temperature instead of spiciness. Bob, do you mean temperature, not spiciness?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Be sure to share the process, I have always been curious about how those cuts work out. Apparently trimming heart is a pain?

I included one of these puppies in my chili competition chili last year:

This is a pork heart rather than beef. I was absolutely amazed at how delicious and flavorful it was. I had never had heart before. I had also heard it was tough to trim but I did not find it at all difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

redcheval posted:

It is chili season and I am extremely happy about it. Had to order dried peppers online because I struck out hard trying to find them locally, but I made my first chili paste today instead of using store-bought powder! Super pumped to see how this chili turns out, but I did have a question. I've basically been using Iron Leg's recipe from the first page as a loose base, and I don't know how much chili paste you should actually use. I used an arbol, two guajillos and three anchos in my paste and used maybe a quarter of the total resulting paste. Am I supposed to use the whole thing? Is it just to taste?

It depends on what you're drying to do, but in that case i'd probably use all of that.

This was how much chili paste I used for a chili that worked out to be 9.5 quarts and didn't have any tomatoes and got the acid mostly through lime juice.

That required a lot of peppers to make:

I'm of the opinion you should use as many chilis as possible. Dried chilis are going to give a somewhat bitter flavor though, and the only way to counter that flavor is acid, which you're going to get either through tomatoes or adding in some other acid like lime juice.