Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

paraquat posted:

-honey and brown sugar, to counteract:
-a dash of balsamico vinegar

I think you accidentally cut-and-pasted part of a different recipe into your post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I sometimes put diced roasted bell peppers in chili. Nothing wrong with it, because I don't claim my chili is the Platonic ideal, one-true-chili. It has beans in it, too.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Top your chili with more chili.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Is this the sort of thing you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l35DLEEmxyM

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Heres Hank posted:

I do not cut down the spiciness in my chili. If other people can't suck it up and take it, I get to eat more.

You must have a lot of friends.

Accommodating your guests is pretty much the first rule of being a good host, so cooking for people and not trying to make sure they enjoy what you cook isn't something to be proud of.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 5, 2012

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Heres Hank posted:

Who says I cook it for them?

Well, you did, when you said:

Heres Hank posted:

If other people can't suck it up and take it, I get to eat more.

When I cook for other people, I try to accommodate them, even if I don't share their tastes. I have an image of you having friends round, watching them sweat and feel miserable because they aren't quite so used to spicy food, smugly saying "hot enough for you?".

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 5, 2012

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Luegene Cards posted:

I believe there's a chemical in canned diced that keeps them from dissolving, which is mostly what you want them to do.+

Christmas Miracle posted:

Like the last poster said, diced tomatoes aren't the best choice because they contain, i believe, calcium chloride, which keeps them from breaking down.

I don't think this makes any difference. It keeps them from breaking down in the tin, but the cooking process will be much more powerful than the calcium chloride.

I've cooked with UK tinned tomatoes, which tend not to be treated with calcium chloride, and US ones, and I haven't noticed an appreciable difference in texture or flavour after cooking down.

Edit: And don't use fresh tomatoes. They will be much less good.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The Lord Bude posted:

I've never seen calcium chloride on the ingredients list of any of the tinned tomatoes we have here, most tinned tomatos sold in Australia come from Italy, and I believe its illegal for them to have additives over there... I buy organic just to make sure.

Don't assume that the addition of calcium chloride is necessarily a bad thing, just because it's an additive. Unless you know it's bad, it's silly to leap to the knee-jerk conclusion that because something has been added, the ingredient is somehow less authentic or high quality. For all you know, calcium chloride makes the tomatoes better!

I really, really doubt that there will be any noticeable improvement in flavour by using organic tomatoes and cheap tinned tomatoes. You're cooking the chili for so long that it won't make a difference.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

bunnielab posted:

If you add enough to taste them than your chili will be too tomatoey

That's a "one true chili" argument. I happen to like a bit of a tomato flavour in my chili. But I put beans in my chili, so you can probably discount my opinion.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm about to start on my first real chili, previous attempts were just ground beef and beans, basically. I'll be basing this on beef ribs, but
a) I also have some ground pork. Y/N?
b) There's half a can of chipotles in adobo sauce from another experiment in the fridge. Not sure how long it's been, maybe a month? They look and smell ok. The label doesn't say anything and I'm retarded. Y/N?

I enjoyed the previous ground beef attempts, but I'm really looking forward to the texture in this :)

Don't mix ground and whole meat, it's weird. Pork and beef, yes. Whole and ground, no.

The chillies are fine.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Hollis Brown posted:

I want my chili to be spicier. In the past I have toasted/seeded/rehydrated mild peppers but want to incorporate some habaneros and serranos and chipotle in adobo. My grocer offers fresh habs and serranos. What's the procedure here? Put on gloves and remove stems/seeds and blend with the rehydrated peppers?

Some people discuss just putting whole peppers in the chili, do they eventually lose their heat enough that if you take a bite it won't ruin your day?

Habaneros really aren't that hot. About one per pound of meat makes a reasonably warming chilli.

If you've got access to lots of cheap fresh habaneros, try drying them in the oven and grinding them up in a pestle and mortar. You can make your own habanero powder and add as much or as little as you like! And you don't really need gloves or anything like that as long as you wash your hands afterwards.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Illinois Smith posted:

you're a liar and a dick

I use habaneros all the time without wearing gloves. Maybe you should just learn to wash your hands properly?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Niceee

any reason for cab over beer? i don't think I've ever done chili with wine.

I put wine in my chili too, and it's always good. It adds another layer of flavour. It's probably frowned upon by ONETRUECHILI advocates, but it's definitely worth trying.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

That chili needs to cook for several more hours so that the chunks break down.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Doom Rooster posted:

If you insist on putting beans in chili, red kidney beans are the only acceptable choice.

Completely incorrect. Kidney beans are clearly inferior in flavour and authenticity to pinto beans.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Longer cooking time. When I make chilli with ribs in it, I do two separate cooks of about six hours each.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Crazyeyes posted:

It cooked for ~10 hours on low. At that point whatever wasn't broken down want gonna. The membranes were showing no signs of degradation at that point so I just tried to pick them out and sigh wistfully before serving.

Perhaps the temperature wasn't quite high enough? I often start with a reasonably high temperature, high liquid volume cook for the first few hours. After the volume has reduced, I turn the temperature down, and I always get really good cartilage breakdown.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

If you have someone who is really heat-phobic, you can make "chilli" without any chillies at all. Whatever recipe you like, just with zero chillies or chilli powder.

It will seem bland to you, but it will taste nice. Now I have kids, this is how I make chilli, then I add heat with homemade hot sauce.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

But this thread isn't just for "people cooking chili from recipes on the internet", it's also a place for voicing new ideas and honing techniques and recipes. I don't mind the reductionist view, but to say that that's the one true chilli is a bit silly.

I make chilli with the addition of beans, tomatoes and pork ribs. Does that mean I have to call it "chunks of cooked down beef and pork in a flavourful spicy stew and beans"? Or can I just call it chilli? Because I'm pretty sure the street vendors who originally made it would recognise it as such...

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Fo3 posted:

acceptable for just having a cheap meal for poors like me

If only there was some sort of food that you could cook with a dedicated thread that could be ruined by spergs claiming that a regional peasant dish could ever be an immutable thing with no permitted variations...

Chill is a stew for poor people, and as such can have things added to it to make the expensive meat go further. To deny this is to ignore the roots of the dish and completely misses the whole point of it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Powder may work better in that situation, but that's irrelevant, as "coating the beef" is a really pointless thing to do.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

adorai posted:

The problem with this is that you may get cubes from multiple sources, which may not cook uniformly. I personally buy the cheapest beef roast I can find and cube it myself.

That's not a problem. You're cooking for a such a long time that uniform cooking isn't an issue.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

And extra salt

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Counterpoint: sun-dried tomatoes are terrible and have never added anything good to anything they are used in.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Jose posted:

just eat it

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Ben Nevis posted:

I've done country style ribs, which made good chili, but I found them to make it pretty greasy, so I trim the fat some before cooking. Never done real ribs though.

My standard chilli is 50:50 chuck and pork ribs. Just follow the usual recipe, but make sure you count the ribs as you put them in: otherwise you can spend hours trying to find a bone that isn't actually there...

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

That is not a great recipe... Filet mignon is just about the worst meat to use, it's too lean and subtle in flavour. Your ratio of meat to chillies is too high, 4 deserved jalapeños four almost for pounds of meat is not very much.

To improve it, you want to use a different cut, like chuck, shin, oxtail, something like that. Also, use more and different chillies: I like a combination of serrano, jalapeño, scotch bonnet, anaheim and poblano. Obviously, it looks like you're not going for heat, so you want some good flavourful chillies in there.

This comes with a disclaimer that I've never so much as entered a chilli competition, but just my thoughts...

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

iForge posted:

Considering I got 3rd, I think its a perfectly fine recipe. Thanks.

That's fine, I don't mind. I often make the mistake of thinking everyone else wants constructive criticism so that they can strive towards self improvement, but I forget that some people are happy with mediocrity.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Third place often goes to the guy who brags about using filet mignon, even though it's quite clearly the wrong meat, because enough people are stupid enough to think it's better

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I use pork all the time in chilli, no need to make him into sausage.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I can see carrots, sort of, in a misguided belief that mirepoix was required.

But potatoes is just crazy.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Add them direct, there's no need to soak beans

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

It's psychosomatic

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

And ditch the loving pineapple, that's loving grotesque

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Ranter posted:

If you want to save freezer space and money, you could reduce your stock instead of leaving it at 3 massive gallons. My housemate fills our freezer with un-reduced stock and its so annoying. He even leaves the lid on the stock pot so there's almost zero reduction.

Absolutely this: you want to reduce your stock to the point where it is about as thick as custard. Then chill in the fridge until it's solid, cut into cubes and freeze. You can reduce three chickens into about 20-30 1cm cubes and they're perfect.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Everyone in this thread should be entering ICSA Chili.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

immersion blend

In my experience, this is completely unnecessary, anything big will break up in the course of the cooking.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

What all do y’all use to make homemade beef stock? I want to try making chili again sometime in the next few weeks and I want to do it with homemade broth this time.

I go to the local butcher and ask them for some beef bones for stock: they saw them into pan sized chunks and it costs a couple of pounds, it’s great.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

MORE CUMIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I'd cook them separately so pulling the meat off becomes easy and you don't have to worry about so much fat.

In my opinion, this is exactly the opposite of what you should do: the great thing about oxtail is the amazing amount of flavour you get from the bones, and cooking them separately is just a giant waste. Cook them in the chilli, then take some time to fish out the bones after the meat falls of them, making sure to scoop out and incorporate the marrow. I’ve done it before, it’s a bit of a faff, but good food is worth a little care and attention, and you will get a better end result if you cook the meat bones and all in the chili.