Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Made Iron Leg's chilli, except replaced the ground with 1/4lb chopped bacon, and the bulk of the meat is chuck and beef heart. Beer was a New Belgium Portage Porter. No beans. Tasted it after the cooking stage, it is fantastic. The bacon is like butter, the chuck falls apart, and the beef heart is hearty and toothsome without being chewy or too fibrous. However, the whole thing is in the 'refrigerator' stage of cooking now, which from my research, is just as important. I hope the flavor soaks into the meat a bit more. The spiciness is moderate, very warm, not sharp at all. I love it.

To be served tomorrow with skillet cornbread and a side of black beans if anyone so wishes. For a little chilli cookoff the Red Cross is holding.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Bob Morales posted:

But...it was a chili cookoff.

I know your pain, friend. I made Iron Leg's chilli with chuck, beef heart, and chorizo for a cook-off. There was one other chilli like mine with chuck, but it was waaaayyy spicier, and kinda empty tasting. Also, had beans. Mine just had anchos and one habanero. Truely medium spice. I provided some lovely black beans and sour cream for a side.

Winner was some ground beef and bean mild thing. Second place was the fuckoff spicy one, which all the idiot bros voted for (HARDKOOORRRR). Third was the vegan chilli, which was the only one some people could eat, and made entirely with can goods.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Throwdown posted:

Thanks guys, I made ironlegs recipe for my household and it came out great, one of the pieces of poo poo that I live with bitched and moaned because... It tasted like chili peppers and was spicy, no tact whatsoever, told me to my face that it sucked and he would prefer a can of Hormel. gently caress him, more for me.

He does not get to eat real people food then. Let him eat his sadness.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Honestly it kinda went wrong everywhere. Starting with when I forgot to turn down the heat when I mixed my spices with the meat, and then snowballing from there. Also I added Cholula hot sauce by the cup-full for some reason.

The end result was a dry, inedible mess.

The recipe I use is a modification of the Texas Chili Parlor/"Texas Bowl of Red" recipe that was posted earlier in this thread; I'd have to dig up the link to it now. I use pinto beans to thicken the chili instead of masa harina, and I usually add some stuff like beer and Cholula hot sauce. My main hinderance is that the recipe ingredients cost north of $60 every time I make it, and in the three times I've made it, I've never once actually eaten very much of it after cooking, mostly because I'm never very happy with the results. I'm trying to put together a recipe that I can call my own, so my attempts to make it thus far have been attempts to find a recipe I like.

At least you're willing to try. Let's back this chilli wagon up for you.

I follow Iron Leg's recipe with some protein modifications. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3451852&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post398069581 I get a pound of whatever fatty beef is cheapest, and a pound of beef heart. Then half a pound of my home-made chorizo, but whatever you can get at the store is fine. I do not use ground beef. So my ingredient list looks like this

Glop bacon drippings (free if you save them from bacon making, otherwise use whatever cooking oil you have on hand, aprox 2 tablespoons)
1 pound stew beef ($6-4$ a lb average, try to get it on sale)
1 pound beef heart (7-3$ a lb, again, try to get it on sale)
12 ounces chorizo sausage, casing removed, cut into 1/2 cubes (7-5$ a package)
1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup chili powder
2 cloves garlic, smashed and minced.
2 (14.5 oz) cans beef broth
2 (14.5 oz) cans whole tomatoes, drained
Half a can of coke and half a bottle of the Fat Tire stout.
1 cinnamon stick (can be removed if you don't like cinnamon)
3 bay leaves
2-4 green jalapenos, slit lengthwise.
1 small Datil pepper
1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal

So, gently brown up the meat and garlic in half your fat, remove from pot. Fire up that loud Another round of shots TURN DOWN THE POT. Add onions and spices EXCEPT FOR THE FRESH HOT PEPPERS and the second half of your fat, cook slowly until the onions start to turn clear and sweet. DO NOT BROWN. Add meat back, then wet stuff and chopped hot peppers. Cover pot, let BARE SIMMER for at least 3-4 hours. Longer is better. If too thin, cook uncovered for the last 15-30min. This pot should cost you like 25 bucks at most, even if you don't have stuff like onions, can goods, and spices on hand.

You do not want to saute hot peppers unless you are in a very well ventilated area. That poo poo burns. I add them in at the 'simmer' stage.

Beef heart is a cut that benefits from either very short, or very long cooking time. The first few hours of simmering, it's rubber. After hour 4, it's the best bit of meat in the pot.

This chilli gets BETTER the longer it hangs out in the fridge. So if it's a bit too intense when you first make it, put it aside for a day. It will taste great the next day.

Serve with a side of rice and a sprinkle of chopped cillantro. (I actually like to pour a piping hot ladleful over fresh spinach, which wilts and cooks perfectly for your daily shot of green stuff). If you want beans, I'd cook them separately, and have them with my rice.

I don't know why you're adding cups of cholula. Everything in moderation. Cholula is a condiment, to be added after cooking.

\/\/\/Nothing wrong with that at all, but your avatar is oddly fitting \/\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 3, 2016

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Not sure about adding onions before cook time. My instinct is to add those to individual servings as a topping, along with cheese, but I guess it couldn't hurt to add a bit during cooking, too.

Cooking onions slow and clear adds a lot of sweetness. They are utterly transformed, it's amazing. Just don't get and brown on them (which are delicious in their own right, but not right for this application). Cooking them with the fat and the spices bloom them up and make them even more delicious.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Finally got cool here in Florida, celebrated with a pot of Hearty Iron Leg chilli!

http://imgur.com/a/65Y3q

The heart stewed up fantastically. It's fantastic. The stew meat is a little dry, bit good. The chorizo melted away into a cloud of delicious.

I heart beef heart.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Midniter posted:

Heart is a muscle, and practically fat-free - it's super lean. Overpoweringly rich (or rich at all, really) it is not. It's just the beefiest goddamn thing you've ever tasted.

It's honestly the best bit of meat in the pot. It's just going to take HOURS. Oh, and the house will smell pretty strongly of 'gamey' for the first hour of cooking, so open some windows. Do not be concerned, that is the gameyness leaving the food and entering the air. Just stew it with other strong flavors, like chorizo.

My dad loves this chilli now, and he is NOT fond of Offal. He's fully aware it's beef heart and eats it anyway, that's how well it turned out.

We're here for you, man. For you, and chilli.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

P_T_S posted:

Yes.
By consuming it you gain it's strength. As well as an insatiable hunger for grass and ozone-ruining quantities of gas...but mostly it's just delicious.

This explains the five wheat-grass shots I've done today.Then I plowed a field and fertilized it.

\/\/\/ I cant help but think something's gone terribly wrong in your life if you're throwing the meat in a dish away. An animal DIED so you could buy that, y'know. Why not just make chili beans?\/\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 7, 2016

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Crazyeyes posted:

Or... Cook the beans beforehand?

Or do the beans separate.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Tony Homo posted:

Anyone considered cow tongue in a chili?

Hmm. Tongue does cook up a lot like pot roast...

Crazyeyes posted:

So checked on my chili. Worryingly greasy. How can I remedy?

Are you using my modified Iron Leg recipe? Is it done cooking? What fats and proteins did you add?

If it's waaaay too greasy, just fridge it and skim some of the solidified fat off the top. Be sure to leave a bit, though, that's the flavor and spice in there.

Let us know as soon as you sample the chili, I want to know if I got another heart convert here.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 24, 2016

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Crazyeyes posted:

As you can see, this was a very carefully measured and prepared meal...

:siren:FINAL VERDICT:siren: Goddamn delicious! I am a convert to the use of heart. I am not sure it was entirely worth the hour+ it took to trim and cut it up, but the results are undeniable. Dis poo poo is the bomb.

Looks fantastic! Did the grease issue settle down? Also, you'll get quicker at heart dissection. Here's a good quick overveiw from my man Scott Rea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_lxbkFcbgM&t=125s. You'll see he's got a half there, but just chunking it up and removing the really stringly bits. I've also only worked with half hearts before, but my first time cleaning it I was super picky and it took forever. Now I just chunk 'em up, carve out the nasty scraps, and feed 'em to the dog and cats, who are nuts for beef heart.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 24, 2016

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Crazyeyes posted:

I pulled out all the liquid and skimmed it a bit, but by the end the beans and everything sucked up a lot of it and it was not greasy at all. Probably wasted effort trying to skim it, honestly.

Hey, it's how we learn. I'll be experimenting with some chili again this week as well.

\/\/Yeha that'll do it\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 24, 2016

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Minarchist posted:

e: sorry for bad quality photo but chili looks bad no matter what I guess

Chili is a fantastic cure for the sads. Especially the cold and sads. Chili is all that is good in the world.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

wormil posted:

I add flour after browning cubed meat to make a roux and soak up any grease.

Yeah in person it looks red and amazing, then in photos it's poo poo brown and blah.

It's okay, your camera just doesn't capture red.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Jose posted:

https://chilliesontheweb.co.uk/chipotle-chilli-what-has-happened

so chipotles are going to be hard to find in the eu for some time

how hosed am i for finding an alternative?

Oh cripes I thought you were talking about Chipotle, the burrito chain.

1.5 kilos of chipotles makes a lot of chili and cheese that isn't yours chips. In the mean time, get Anchos and add heat to your tasting.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Aaaaagghh why bud light. Gross! Use a stout!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Horse Clocks posted:

Has anybody ever made a pork rib chilli?

Any tips/recipes?

Also, Chipotle embargo? Off to whole foods to stock up on cans of the things.

I suppose you could! Are you looking for it to be recognizable as pork ribs, or mimic beef chilli entirely?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I like a stout or hearty brown ale. Depends on of I'm adding cola or not.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Dr. Poz posted:

I just won the Chili Cookoff at work thanks to this thread and a slightly modified Green Arrow chili recipe. So, thanks everyone!

What cut of meat did you use? Chuck, Ground, or Paul Posluszny's massive neck?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I think the problem is that these competitions are office chilli cook-offs where anything that tastes not unlike canned hot-dog topping is considered superior. You could probably win with a can of Stagg, and a shot of MSG, Evan Williams whiskey, and liquid smoke in the mix.

Second or third place will always go to the too-spicy one with the stupid name because all the guys who think they're hardcore vote for it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Crazyeyes posted:

Dude just asked me if I put potatoes and carrots in my chili :smugjones:

:catbert: you know what you must do. He must become the next batch of chili.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Welp, making my own mess of chilli. Also cleaning out the freezer a bit, but also had fresh produce (tamaties!) to use up. So!

Meat: 2lb Chuck roast, .5lb beef heart, 1lb goat shoulder, honk of seasoning pork belly.
Not meat: 2lbs fresh tomatoes, 2 large onions, some dried red chillies (rehydrated) smoked sweet paprika, dark chilli powder (cheating, I knoooow!), other stuff I don't remember I go a bit mad with the spice cabinet and garden .
Liquid: Chicken stock coca cola, soy sauce.

Rendered fat off pork belly, browned off all the meat, then simmered off the tomatoes in the fond. Also toasted and rehydrated chillies. Added spices to tomatoes. Dumped all in crock pot with chicken stock and a can of coke. Diced two onions, threw in crock pot. Added a slug of soy sauce. Simmering now for the next 6 hours, outside where the 97° 90% direct sunlight murderheat of Florida can help it along. Broth already tastes good, can only imagine what it will be like once the gelatin starts flowing. Salt to taste.

This will be to feed a big group of navy peeps who come by to volunteer. This chilli and some rice and beans should fill them up. Will also provide hot sauce, since this batch should only have a hint of heat.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 17, 2016

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

NOO WAI

Junkie Disease" posted:

Not the peppers, but like sweet potato slices all thick like.

Phew

I'd like to experiment with pumpkin for dog treats. Does that dehydrate at all? I figure you'd have to peel the skin off.

And, coyo7e, I am jealous of your freezer find. How do you forget a whole bag of Cervidae in the back of the freezer?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Ranter posted:

I opted for the more 'pulled' style of meat than leaving the soft chunks in tact. Hopefully this pays off:

Please put that in my mouth kthx. It looks fantastic!

But yeah, great real chilli almost never wins an office chilli cookoff. The one that will usually win will be the most milquetoast ground beef, canned tomato soup and 'Flavorful And Mild' chilli beans dumped in a slow cooker thing ever. That is because it's what most people expect. They don't expect effort or flavor beyond Wendy's dollar menu. Or the winner gets picked because a group of people vote as a block about which one they all groupthinked and synergized about what was best, which will end up being the least chilli like thing. Oh, and young men will vote for the spiciest regardless of flavor so they look hardcore.

I gotta make me some more goat chilli when it gets cooler.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Dec 1, 2016

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I like some nice toasty hunks of tomato in my chilli, as opposed to a sauce.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The only time when ground is appropriate. May you feast on chili forevermore! Also, good luck getting your deer. Maybe pack some hot chilli in a thermos for a hunting snack :p Where will you be hunting?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Pre-seer the chuck at home to get a head start and get those good mallards going.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Guys I dumped four random cans without labels into a crockpot with a pound of ground chicken and cooked it ALL DAY. Chilli, right?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

marshalljim posted:

Only if one of those unlabeled cans contained cream of mushroom soup.

I think all of them were.

Wait one had to be beans. Or boiled peanuts. Or possibly silk worm pupae. Can't tell any more.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 24, 2017

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
More salt, sugar, and MSG.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I made a fish stew once (Hotroot Soup, for the literature ISCA) that was good, but lacked something. Everything else was great, good flavor, good spice level, good stock, but just felt empty. I put it in the fridge and hoped it might get better with a bit of time. Then I went to Publix and got some fish sauce, which was in the recipe but I was unfamiliar with it at the time. Added it to my soup, and bam, perfect soup.

Try some fish sauce. It smells like cat rear end but works wonders for making food taste better.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Ranter posted:

I figured fish sauce is a recommendation for folk who would otherwise balk at the notion of adding actual MSG to their home cooked food.

Well, fish sauce has it's own flavor as well. Good old MSG is fine too, but you won't get that same... I dunno how to describe it in food terms. Like a whole, round flavor?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The only thing the CDC has on MSG is as an inactive ingredient in vaccines. And then there's MSGMYTH.ORG, which is just a beautiful and professionally designed website and forums warning us, the public, about the dangers off MSG and how it causes ADHD, Fibromyalgia, Autisim, Weight Gain totally unrelated to the amount of food you shove in your mouth, and every other modern complaint.

While I agree eating a ton of processed foods is probably bad for you, adding some MSG or fish sauce or seaweed to your food will probably not be the first thing to kill you. Maybe worry about the disturbing amount of delicious meat and peppers you've just shoved in your gut. It's a sometimes food!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Tezcatlipoca posted:

gently caress that

Look man, we're here for you. We're not saying stop eating all the chili. We're just going to leave this small plate of delicious lentils and spinach right here. Not IN the chili, that would be wrong, but just next to it. Like a chili friend. Dosn't chili deserve friends?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Yeah they're called fritos, green onions and sour cream.

Chili can have different circles of friends. Dont pidgeon-hole chili.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I made a shepherd's pie with chili once. It was amazing.

... That could work. Ooh. I have all sorts of dirty and dangerous ideas now.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
In not-meat chat, has anyone tried that grilled watermelon thing the internet's been on about?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

http://www.liveeatlearn.com/pan-seared-watermelon-steak/

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Do you have something AGAINST pretty things? Because I'll happily eat all the adorable stuff you don't want. Watermelon chili served with a bouquet of alliums and borage. Then I'll have some ginger and hibiscus flower pink lemonade with my little pony friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Tezcatlipoca posted:

A ton of people are squeamish about "'exotic'" meats. I guess it depends on your crowd.

And if you don't tell anyone, they can rarely tell. Only use good meat if people are going to appreciate it.