Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I just happen to be in the middle of making some chili. I'm making it with turkey, because some people I'm cooking for don't eat red meat, but normally I'd use brisket and short ribs for my chili. chili is all about building flavor, and quality ingredients - since it's a really simple dish you gotta use good stuff to make good chili. NEVER EVER USE GROUND MEAT. ALWAYS GRILL / SMOKE / BROWN YOUR MEAT.

:siren: :siren: :siren:

My basic procedure MINDPHLUX'S ONE TRUE CHILI WAY goes like this :

1. Make a really really rich stock. 5lbs bones = 1 gal finished stock. I got about 5lbs turkey necks, browned them off under a broiler, and boiled them about 6 hours yesterday, along with aromatics. gonna pick the meat from the bones today and strain off the stock.

2. Season your meat, and light your grill/smoker. Just use a basic rub of your choosing, mine has cumin, some homemade chili powder, garlic, brown sugar, onion powder, black cardamom, fennel, smoked paprika. have about 5lbs of deboned turkey thighs I'm using for my chili, bones went in the stock above.

3. Grill/smoke your meat. I'm smoking my turkey because I don't have access to a charcoal grill in present circumstances. gonna smoke it until crusty, or if you're grilling, grill until deeply browned and crusty.

4. Stew your meat - cook off some onions and garlic. caramelize your onions. then add in your grilled/smoked meat and let it slow cook for ~4-8 hours. your stock should only barely cover the meat, so it's not too thin once it cooks down. if it's too thin, reduce it.

done!

seasoning is all optional, but keep it minimal. homemade chili powder is of course a must. I like the chipoltes in adobo, gonna add a few of those to mine. if you have a tomato or two lying around, that's probably ok - but none of this ADD A HUGE 64OZ TIN OF TOMATOES. 64 ounces is not ok. 8-12oz is probably ok if you have to add tomatoes. add salt, pepper. I add fish sauce to everything for body, and a splash of msg will find its way in. some people like cocoa, I don't.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

WombatCyborg posted:

Anybody have a good idea for meat substitutes that work well in chili for us vegetarian goons? I want to taste a good chili in my life at some point haha.

the main flavors of chili are meat, and stock thickened by the gelatin from meat bones. so, no.

homemade chili powder is a huge part of the flavor too though, so I guess you could caramelize some onions, add homemade chili powder, and then add some vegetable broth and you'd have... I don't know, chili flavored soup?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Jose posted:

What beer do people recommend? I used guinness last time because its what I normally use in beef stew and really like it but I'm open to suggestion

I get my bitterness from my chilis, so I usually use something dark, sweet, alcoholic, and malty. I used dogfishhead raison d'etre for this turkey chili I made. warsteiner dunkel is a lovely beer, but someone left a 6 pack at my house once so that became my go-to chili making beer for as long as it lasted. worked a charm.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

barbudo posted:

I like to use a dark, thick, juicy English Porter. I tried an IPA once, because they're fashionable now and everything, but the whole chili just tasted like an IPA. Maybe I was doing something wrong though.

no, it's just wrong to put an IPA in chili. chilis themselves have more than enough bitterness, you don't need to add harsh hoppy bitter notes to your finished product - at least not en masse. low ibu beer only, in my book.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SYFY HYPHY posted:

The only thing that goes in my chili colorado is

BANQUET BEER

i find that a splash of coors really helps round out the bitterness of a chili and aid in its digestibility, so I always add a splash of coorst

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
it occurs to me that good chili is basically a heavily seasoned deconstructed country style terrine...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Pookah posted:

Am I the only one who adds a little bit of (good) smoked paprika? I'm talking like a 1/2 teaspoon to an 8 serving pot; I find it adds a very nice background smokey flavour.

Also worcestershire sauce, because that works with everything meaty. :colbert:

just smoke/grill your meat, like any good chili maker should be doing, friend.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Lt. Chips posted:

I'm making chili on Sunday for the superbowl, and I have decided that it's about drat time I made my own chili powder. I'm using the recipe from the goons with spoons wiki, http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Chili_Powder

I am supposed to throw out the seeds that came out of the dried chilies? I honestly can't tell from the wording or the pictures. I checked a different recipe and it recommended shaking the peppers out over the sink. So it seems I am not supposed to include the chili seeds in the chili powder. That surprises me.

they're a bit bitter, and chilies already have all the bitterness they need. they also don't grind very well in my experience, so you'll have chunks of seed in your powder.

glad to hear you're making your own! I've had a bag of chilies in my pantry for a week or two now, and have been meaning to make my next batch. might go do that right now.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

saigon_15 posted:

Edit: This joke was apparently hard to comprehend. I'm very sorry about that. What I meant to say was: small children has a hard time digesting the crust of fried food. When your kid has a hard time digesting something, your life will by proxy be quite miserable too. Therefor I introduce this element very slowly into his diet.

I think they were saying you should brown your chili meat, not fry it?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Doom Rooster posted:

Resurrecting this from my NICSA entry.

Chipotle and Chocolate Chili

Ingredients:

5 lbs trimmed and cubed Chuck
1 lb Spicy Breakfast Sausage (Owens is the best. Jimmy Dean sucks)
2 Medium Onions, minced
5 Cloves of Garlic, minced
1 bottle Double Chocolate Stout
3 oz Bourbon
32 oz Beef Broth
3.5 oz Chipotle In Adobo
9 Tbsp Chili Powder (Details below)
1 Tbsp Black Pepper
Salt to Taste

First off, you are going to want to brown your meat a little bit. I do this in two pans simultaneously, because otherwise it would take forever. IMPORTANT: You do not want to actually cook the meat through here at all. If you cook the meat to done now, it will be dry and tough in the final product. I find that thoroughly browning one side is the best that I can do without cooking the meat beyond medium rarish. Rocket hot pan with a little bit beef fat rendered out from the Chuck trimmings.

This is what you should be aiming for.

Once you reach this, put this batch of beef into a holding bowl, and start the next batch. Once all of the beef is done, brown the sausage. Really BROWN it. Don't just cook it through. You want some nice roasty brown color on there. Like this:

Put the sausage into the holding bowl with the beef. Drain about half of the fat off first.

After all this is done, deglaze the skillet with the bourbon!

In the pot, the moisture from the onions(which you should add now) will be more than enough to get all the fond off of the bottom. If you are using one pan, go ahead and deglaze that pan with the bourbon, then add the onion to it.

Sweat the onions on medium heat until they are completely translucent, then add the garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes. You don't want to caramelize the onions, just cook them through(the color you see in the picture is from the beef bits left in the pan, not from caramelized onion).

While your onions are sweating, you want to toast your chili powder. Chili powder is incredibly important (you would think that this would be obvious). My particular blend this go 'round is equal parts Durango, Ancho, San Antonio Red, and Dried Chipotle. If you happen to have a great place that has a great variety of dried chilies, then awesome, grinding your own is really good, and dirt cheap. If you do not, or you are lazy, there really is no shame in buying chili powder mixes from elsewhere, just buy small quantities that you know that you will go through quickly, so it will be reasonably fresh.

Even if your chilies have been toasted prior to blending, you are going to want to take your finished powder and toss it into a small pan over medium heat. You want to stir this regularly until the smell of chili punches you in the face, but before the burning smell. Friends always ask me how they will know that they have reached this point, and I always just respond with "trust me, you will know". Your kitchen will go from "Hmmm, I think that I can smell chili powder" to "Holy poo poo that smells amazing" within a few seconds.

After you are done toasting it, set it aside until your onions and garlic are done are done. Once they are, add all of your chili powder and stir it into a paste, then add all of your meat and the juice in the bowl back to the pot and stir it all up. It is likely that enough liquid came out of the beef while it was holding that a decent sauce has been created in the pot.

Because I didn't remember to put them into the main ingredients picture, here are the chipotles that I use, and how finely minced you want them.

You want to turn these bad boys into a paste.

Add all of these to the pot as well, including the excess adobo from the can. You can leave the adobo out to cut down a little on the spice. If you want to cut down on the spice further still, leave out half of the Chiptole. If you really want to cut down on the spice, don't eat chili, or grow pair of testicles and eat it anyway.

It should now look like this!

Then go ahead and stir in your stout!

At this point, you will want to stir in your broth. Now comes the slightly tricky part. You want the heat to be at just the right spot. You are looking for a very, very bare simmer. If you can get it, you want one, tiny line of bubbles breaking the surface of your chili. Be very careful on this, as if you ever get the mix to a full boil, or close to it, your meat is going to get stringy and tough.

Seriously, start your stove on the lowest setting, and come back in 30 minutes. If no bubbles at all are breaking the surface, turn it up a tiny bit and come back in 10 minutes. Repeat this until you get the right temperature.

You want to cook the chili uncovered, so that moisture evaporates, and your chili thickens/intensifies in flavor. You should stir this once every 30 minutes or so once you have found the perfect stove setting. Continue this until it is done, which is when it is very thick, and the meat is tender and falling apart when lightly pressured.

1 hour in.

4 hours in.

6 hours in.

6 1/2 hours in, and ready to eat.

Put that in your mouth.

The spice of this blend, and the additional chipotle is a very soft heat, that takes a while to build up. It is a very pleasant warming sensation that starts creeping from the tip of your tongue all the way to the back of your throat over the duration of the bowl. I think that the flavor of the chili is spot on at this point, so I wouldn't really add anything else, however if you want more heat, do what I do. Add this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Cap-2-oz/dp/B0007MXR92

It is flavorless, but 500,000 scoville units. I loving love this stuff for any application where I want more heat without affecting the overall flavor profile of the dish.

thread needs more actual chili recipes. goodjob :golfclap:

this is basically how I make mine, but I grill the meat to brown it, and homemade stock for the win. looks tasty.

also, so noone feels tempted to use an entire can of that chipolte in adobo sauce thing - it freezes really well. I have a ziplock in my freezer of the stuff, and I've actually been thin slicing off little shavings to throw in other dishes that I normally wouldn't want a lot of chipolte flavor in. it's been great, and really convenient - so glad I decided to freeze my leftovers after my last chili making journey.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 22, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

wormil posted:

I would like to see more chili powder recipes. The only one I've made at home was the AB combination with 3 each ancho, cascabel, & arbol base. I can always make it spicier but I'm interested in good flavor combinations.

spicy is not the point of chili powder as far as I'm concerned.

just go to whatever market sells chilies in your area, and buy handfuls of every type. go home and just eat them. like, cut a strip and just gnaw on it for a while - it should give you a good idea of the flavor. find whatever you like, and use it.

the chili powder I made a couple weeks ago had guajillo, mulato, pasilla, ancho, and a little cumin and salt. no rhyme or reason, just grabbed some chilies and went with it. seeded them, toasted in a oven for about 30 mins at 300 deg tossing frequently until they dried out a little (some were quite pliable/moise to begin with) and then threw in a food processor, then a coffee grinder to get really powdery stuff.

it smells divine.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

wormil posted:

This is a good idea. I've only found them by the bag but I guess it won't hurt to experiment. I just wanted to avoid accidentally buying a bunch of similar, very spicy, chilies. I already have a big bag of arbols.

most of the large ones sold in bags by hispanic sounding brands are surprisingly not spicy - just go for the larger ones and you'll be fine. arbols are actually some of the spiciest dried chilies you'll see in that section of the supermarket.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

wormil posted:

Outstanding.

Question, when I roast dried chilies, should they be charred?

No, just aromatic and slightly more brittle. Nowhere near browned or charred.

Terraplane posted:

I finally tried smoking the meat before cooking.
Hurray, a convert to the One True Method!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

adorai posted:

16 oz water

:suicide:

chili has, at its core, three main, essential ingredients. meat, dehydrated ground chilies, and stock or broth. your recipe is failing pretty hard at two of them...

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 30, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Scott Bakula posted:

Are you toasting them? Toasting them for too long? Use a load of cumin as well

I don't know, I'd disagree with the cumin comment actually. The times where I've used a lot of cumin in my chili powder, it comes out tasting completely unremarkable, and basically like store bought. When I focus more on the chilies, I get a lot more sweetness and chili flavor - I think cumin just overpowers everything if you aren't careful. So, if I'm making like a cup of finished homemade 'chili powder', I think the most cumin I'd put in is a tablespoon ground.

But yeah toasting too long can accentuate the bitterness of chilies - getting even a bit of burnt spices in there is a dealbreaker.

As far as recipes, I always just buy whatever chilies look good at the store and use a random combination. Obviously using a lot less of the more powerful ones like chipolte or whatever, and more of the milder ones.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Schwack posted:

Maybe it is during the toasting. I toast them for 2-5 minutes, depending on thickness and moisture. When I took them out of the oven they were still pliable and certainly didnt smell burnt.

hmm, well nothing sounds wrong with that - 2-5 minutes shouldn't be a problem even at like 350 or 400.

I did my chilies at like 200 or 250 or something for like 30-45 minutes last time to help dehydrate them if I am remembering correctly, and they only tasted as bitter as they should...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Grand Fromage posted:

No I'm a manly bro, however dropping $80 to make chili is unacceptable.

it's ok, you can just use ground lean turkey! and make sure not to brown it - just grey it off.

it'll be ok, because you're a girl! tee-hee!!!!!!!!!

gently caress patriarchy always forever, and gently caress you paraquat for posting like a misogynistic twat

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 7, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

TECHNICAL Thug posted:

Anyone ever smoke their own Chipotles? I've got a smoker and a healthy jalapeno plant... not sure if this is better asked here or in the smoking meat thread. Can I use hot smoke or does it have to be cold?

I always wonder about this, because I don't understand how they go from green to tan brown.

you should find out, and tell us!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

For next time, what can I do better?

Help me understand chili :S

one thing you could do better is read this thread

seriously what kind of effortless post is that. there's literally this entire thread that is dedicated to "things you can do better when making chili", and you're asking how you can improve on cooking ground meat and beans with canned chili powder?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
... bell peppers?

even in all the heathen bean-filled grey meat "chilis" I have seen in my time, I don't think I've ever seen bell peppers. maybe I'm just blocking it out though.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Sharon is Karen posted:

I'm pretty sure Wendy's uses bell peppers in their "chili". They may also add snozzcumbers and hate.

well, I've never been to a wendy's, so I guess there we have it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Xarb posted:

I finally managed to get some chipotles in abdo sauce (hard to find where I live) and want to try putting some in my next batch of chili.

What is the best way to use them? Just chuck them in whole and fish them out at the end? Or try and dice/blend them?

use them like you would use anchovies. eat one, then finely mince the rest and add the proportion you need based on saltiness.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
this chili thread has gone to poo poo. it's now officially on my to-do list, I'm making a new one. before the end of the year. proper, full fledged. lots of effort.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
:siren: real chili spotted

sorry about the spiciness, though I guess it wasn't my fault if you were following a GWS wiki recipe.

it's really easy to overdo the spiciness - I use pretty mild chilies in my powder mix so I can ramp up the heat later on as desired with late additions, and still load it the heck up with powder.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

signalnoise posted:

I'm a shockingly uncreative cook when it comes to new ingredients. I'm fine thinking of new ways to use ingredients I already know, but I basically stare at a jar of that stuff and am clueless.

I could understand if it was like.... shrimp paste or something. but it's just some spicy chili sauce man - I mean hopefully if you were a tobasco user and someone gave you a bottle of franks red hot you wouldn't cower in front of it goin :ohdear:

but still, I know what you mean about new ingredients. I've run in to a few recently that I bought and just can't figure out how to use effectively. I feel like a dolt and every time I try to use them in something I get kinda :smith: because it just doesn't taste very good. so don't sweat it :glomp:

I agree with gravity though, it's just a more straightforward version of sriracha - I use sambal like gangbusters in sauces, dressings, and marinades. sriracha always tastes like sriracha, but you can use sambal in something and it won't inherently make the whole thing taste like sriracha.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

WaterIsPoison posted:

Thanks for all of the suggestions GWS. I'll update on my improvements when I do another batch. However, I found that my GF is a bean lovin' heathen. It's actually caused a bit of friction (especially as she's a born southerner).

cook some beans in a seperate pot, she can add them as she sees fit

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Scott Bakula posted:

I think I need to find some better sambal. Does anyone have recommended brands?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
sure! I've put together a helpful guide that you might find useful :

• open freezer door
  • put chili in freezer
  • close freezer door

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I don't normally make chili with pork, but I had a couple pounds of leftover smoked pork butt I did earlier in the week. caramelized a heaping load of onions, bloomed a boatload (almost a cup of powder for 2-3lbs of meat) of homemade chili powder for a min or so, tossed in the pork, some beef stock, and a bottle of dubbel. poo poo rocked. (and continues to rock, I don't know how I'm gonna eat all this)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

dis astranagant posted:

freeze half of it and scarf it later.

*exactly* what I did :shobon:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

EVG posted:

Thanks! Without reading all 17 pages, is there a specific tried-n-true recipe from the thread that people are going back to?

I was in a similar situation a while ago, I had a bunch of left over smoked pork shoulder that I knew I'd never eat, so I decided to turn it into chili.

I caramelized a heaping fuckload of onions, added tons of homemade chili powder and garlic to the oily onion mess, fried that off for a minute, dumped in all my chopped leftover meat, added a ton of paprika, cayenne, and a little extra cumin. dropped a chipolte in adobo in the hatch, about 2 cups stock, a beer, and let it simmer. adjusted salt pepper and sugar to taste, and that's pretty much it. chili of champs.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'd use half a can to 1 can of 11oz chipolte for 4kg of meat as a starting place. forget the ghost peppers - or make them in to a hot sauce. you can always add more heat, but it's not as easy to take it away.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

fuckpot posted:

Well I have tried throwing a bunch of habaneros in it in the past and while I enjoyed the flavour the heat wasn't quite high enough for me. I bought 50-60 dried ghost pepper pods off ebay so I can chuck one or two in the curries and chilis that I make to easily get it up to the right level.

you can easily do this with most any other pepper and actually add some flavor too, ghost peppers are almost entirely a gimmick foodwise as far as I can tell.

that said, I personally think habaneros are really unique as far as peppers go, and don't blame you for being disappointed with them. they have such a particular flavor and level of heat that I would never use them in anything but their traditional caribbean-food roles.

if I want mainly spice and not so much of a distinct flavor, I usually use dried indian red pepper flake, or thai bird chilies. I think thai chilies are pretty neutral flavor wise, but I also might just be in love with their flavor. no telling.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Kenning posted:

Honestly, I could probably make an entire chili using only Red Fresnos and Serranos if I had enough chili powder/chipotles in adobo to dope it with. I'm pretty sure that dried chilis have the most chili-friendly flavor, so I'd always lean toward adding more of those for heat. It just does wonders for the complexity.

Speaking of, I made a paste of anchos, guajillos, New Mexicos, and arbols for the last chili I made by just soaking them in hot water and then food processing them with a bit of the soaking water. Any ideas on good applications for the leftovers?

yeah, try making harissa. I made harissa for the first time a couple weeks ago, and was really surprised at all the recipes I found - they all pretty much started with 'take some normal chilies, whatever really, and soak them in hot water then blend them'. so I made some harissa and it was pretty tasty.

The Midniter posted:

After you try these and see how amazing chipotle in adobo is, take one can, pour the entire contents into a ziploc bag, and freeze it. Now you have a frozen chunk of spicy, smoky deliciousness that you can grate into ANYTHING and make EVERYTHING more delicious and amazingly amazing.

this is good advice. I had half a can left and froze it because I didn't know wtf to do, not even thinking about the FutureGrating opportunities. After trying to figure out how to defrost my AdoboBlock for like 5 minutes, I finally just took it to a box grater and it worked really really really well. I'm almost tempted to just freeze my cans of chipolte in adobo before I ever even crack them open now.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

fuckpot posted:

Just had my chipotles in adobo sauce arrive. I didn't know 3.5oz was so small D: Luckily I got five cans.

Now I just need to wait for my ghost peppers and it's ultimate chili time.

one can is enough for 2-3 chili batches for me, and I love spice.

but I guess I also smother my chili in hot sauce after serving too

GIVE ME CHILIES EVERY loving WAY IMAGINABLE THANKS

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Doom Rooster posted:

Basically, chop up the dried chilies a bit(I usually just cut rings with kitchen shears), and toss them into the blender. Put in just enough hot stock to cover them. That will be plenty of liquid in my experience. Let it sit for 30 minutes, then you should be good to blend.

As far as putting other spices in with it, I would avoid it. Cumin seeds are not going to get nearly as soft as the chilies do, and I don't think any blender in the world is going to get those seeds chopped up fine enough. Use your spice/coffee grinder for those.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Scott Bakula posted:

How much onion and garlic do people find acceptable in their chilli? I tend to use loads of both in beef stew in general since it adds liquid as it cooks down. In chilli it tends to disintegrate after 5 hours cooking.

I use boatloads but I caramelize it all off before adding back my seared meat and liquid. I might add a head or two of garlic for 5lbs meat, and maybe 4 or so onions, but after caramelizing them all off, it's like maybe 2 cups of onions delicious bits that will eventually dissolve into the liquid anyways. cooked garlic is never overpowering.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Saint Darwin posted:

That is a fantastic friggin idea. I might have to sear a few heads and caramelize some onions for this chili

Oh man

just gonna drop this here :

mindphlux posted:

I just happen to be in the middle of making some chili. I'm making it with turkey, because some people I'm cooking for don't eat red meat, but normally I'd use brisket and short ribs for my chili. the steps are the same. the protein can change. chili is all about building flavor, and quality ingredients - since it's a really simple dish you gotta use good stuff to make good chili. NEVER EVER USE GROUND MEAT. ALWAYS GRILL / SMOKE / BROWN YOUR MEAT.

:siren: :siren: :siren:

My basic procedure MINDPHLUX'S ONE TRUE CHILI WAY goes like this :

1. Make a really really rich stock. 5lbs bones = 1 gal finished stock. I got about 5lbs turkey necks, browned them off under a broiler, and boiled them about 6 hours yesterday, along with aromatics. gonna pick the meat from the bones today and strain off the stock.

2. Season your meat, and light your grill/smoker. Just use a basic rub of your choosing, mine has cumin, some homemade chili powder, garlic, brown sugar, onion powder, black cardamom, fennel, smoked paprika. have about 5lbs of deboned turkey thighs I'm using for my chili, bones went in the stock above.

3. Grill/smoke your meat. I'm smoking my turkey because I don't have access to a charcoal grill in present circumstances. gonna smoke it until crusty, or if you're grilling, grill until deeply browned and crusty.

4. Stew your meat - cook off some onions and garlic. caramelize your onions. then add in your grilled/smoked meat and let it slow cook for ~4-8 hours. your stock should only barely cover the meat, so it's not too thin once it cooks down. if it's too thin, reduce it.

done!

seasoning is all optional, but keep it minimal. homemade chili powder is of course a must. I like the chipoltes in adobo, gonna add a few of those to mine. if you have a tomato or two lying around, that's probably ok - but none of this ADD A HUGE 64OZ TIN OF TOMATOES. 64 ounces is not ok. 8-12oz is probably ok if you have to add tomatoes. add salt, pepper. I add fish sauce to everything for body, and a splash of msg will find its way in. some people like cocoa, I don't.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

sfwarlock posted:

Chili is as chili does.

Last night:

Before:

During:

After:

sorry :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I honestly can't taste the difference between chili with just beef stock and some beer tossed in. but I go for dunkle bocks if I'm going to add some beer. Schneider Aventinus is perfect, but I feel bad wasting large amounts of such a wonderful beer. chili tastes awesome if you make it right, no need for that extra alcohol-liquid.