Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Corleone
Jan 25, 2004

What's next?
As much as it pains me to recommend anything by Bobby Flay, I've been using/modifying this lamb chili recipe for years now and have yet to meet someone who doesn't love it. The real key is the cumin-lime sour cream as a topping.

My main modifications:
1. I tend to use at least half beef (usually a brisket/chuck mix), if not all beef in place of the lamb
2. Less stock and/or more time. The recipe says simmer for an hour. I usually go at least two, or cut down on the stock by 25% if in a hurry. The result is too watery otherwise.
3. It says 1 Tbsp chipotle puree. I say that's fine if you're only making a quarter-batch.

quote:

Ingredients
1/4 cup olive oil
2 1/2 pounds lamb from shoulder, boned and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 large Spanish onions, finely diced
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 (15-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and pureed
1 tablespoon chipotle puree
3 tablespoons ancho chili powder
1 tablespoon pasilla chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano
5 cups chicken stock
1 (12-ounce) bottle dark beer
Dash ground cinnamon
1 to 2 tablespoons honey
2 cups cooked or canned black beans
Chopped cilantro leaves, for garnish
Cumin Crema, recipe follows
Avocado Relish, recipe follows
Red Onion Relish, recipe follows
Fry Bread, recipe follows
Directions
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add the lamb, in batches, season with salt and pepper, and cook until seared and browned on all sides. Remove the lamb to a plate with a slotted spoon.

Add the onion to the pan and cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, chipotle, and spices. Return the lamb to the pan, add the stock and beer; cover and cook at a simmer for over medium heat, about 1 hour, or until the lamb is tender and the mixture has thickened. After 30 minutes, check seasoning and add honey. During the last 15 minutes, add the cinnamon and cooked beans. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Ladle into bowls and top with a large dollop of Cumin Crema, Avocado Relish, and Red Onion Relish. Serve with fry bread on the side.

Cumin Crema:
1 pint creme fraiche, Mexican crema or sour cream
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Whisk together ingredients in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...cipe/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU