Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The ICSA chili thread has lots of instances of people making chili!
My go-to chili is the one with the least votes; That Works's "chili that should fit most definitions of chili" is a really good fuckin' stock standard chili, only when I make it I'm a monster and add a bunch of beans (zuni golds, sometimes some mortgage lifters if I'm feeling extra nasty) and I just use guajillos and chiles de arbol in a 70/30 ratio; guajillos are loving tasty in that base.

I'm gunna make a new batch today; it's getting cold enough where I need it. I don't know if I have any fish sauce left over, but I've got plenty of umami fluids I can use instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

neogeo0823 posted:

No one actually knows what makes good chili. Anywhere. Not even this thread.

tomatoes

Yeah good point

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

too many Arbol Chiles
:confused:

Every chili I make, either Arbol or Guajillo is the primary pepper flavor. Ain't no such thing as too many.

That looks loving beautiful

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

hitchensgoespop posted:

Hello chilli goons. Im a lousy UK dweller and when im not worrying about brexit or fighting chavs down my local town centre I like to make chilli.

I've just acquired a bunch of dried Mexican chillis which are

Ancho
Pasilla
Mulato
Guajillo
De Arbol
Cascabel
Pecan Smoked Chipotle

So, which ones should I put in my chilli, I'm assuming the correct answer is all of them but I would imagine that would mean they all cancel another out flavour wise, so what should I do goons

Guajillo and Pasilla both give dried fruit kind of flavors, so I'd just pick one or the other. Ancho is a good middle ground between them and a more bright spice like De Arbol, and the Chipotles are going to have an obviously very smoky flavor. I have no experience with Mulato or Cascabel.

My chili paste is usually 60% guajillo, 20% ancho or arbol, and 20% chipotle, with apple cider vinegar and coffee to bring out bitter and acid. I'd say just soak one chili each in hot water for ten minutes or so, then do some small tastes of the chili teas to get a feel for their flavors, then start mixing the waters together until you have a combo you like.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

That sounds good and idk why people are objecting. Flavor is flavor. Who cares if it's not a Texas bowl of red. Chili is just a stew anyway.
Why call it chili if all you're making is a spicy stew.

Like I'm all for loving with recipes and I'm not super invested in this particular change, but there's a point when a change becomes something else entirely. Like, if I'm making gumbo, but I make it a bit more watery, and I throw in a bunch of rice while cooking instead of waiting after, I've made jambalaya. Not gumbo.

This isn't like a ONE TRUE HUMMUS deal; chili has a fuckload of variants, and they're all real good. It's just that the first point I'd say you can make a change that changes the nature of the recipe is whether or not you used a mirepoix - if you did, congrats on your delicious stew, but it's no more chili than a menemen is a shakshuka