Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I've heard of cornbread and rice, and those are pretty good, but where in the gently caress do you serve chili with pasta?? What region is this popular in?? I have never ever heard this.

Maybe European background, treating it like a goulash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Smoked paprika is good in everything, basically.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Wrong thread, the beans thread is here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3592735

This is the chili thread.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Is there any Mexican style chorizo that isn't made of this? I shop at Mi Pueblo and this seems to be all that they carry. Cheap pork or beef or mixed lymph nodes and glands.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Where would I find this?

Supermarket.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
but then why do they not list lymph nodes and glands on the ingredients for decent all beef hot dogs?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
i thought it was a regulatory thing, otherwise chorizo wouldn't specify poo poo. this lead me to believe that hotdogs are not glands and lymph nodes.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I deseed the chipotles.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Multiple cook-off winning chili - http://www.reddit.com/r/food/comments/2k30b0/i_cant_stop_winning_chili_cookoffs/

Recipe - http://www.reddit.com/r/food/comments/2k30b0/i_cant_stop_winning_chili_cookoffs/clheymj

Jenn's World Famous Award-Winning Taco Chili

quote:

For a big crockpot full....you might want to scale down for a smaller batch!
2 lbs ground beef (I LOVE MEAT)
1 large white onion
4 cans Italian tomato pieces
2 cans Rotel mild green chilis with Lime/Cilantro
1 can corn
1-1.5 package(s) Hidden Valley Ranch powder
1-1.5 package(s) mild taco seasoning
2 packages of Spanish Rice (Knorr)
2 cans pinto beans
2 cans kidney beans
Sea Salt to taste
1 pkg Mexican Cheese Sour Cream

Brown hamburger and onion... Dump all cans and packages into crockpot, it's finished when rice is tender

Add hamburger and onion

Serve with Mexican Cheese, Sour Cream AND THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT......FRITOS SCOOPS!

It's really great when eaten with the Frito's Scoops...it's almost like a dip!

I also like to add some of the cheese into the crockpot to get that super yummy cheesy meltiness going :)
ENJOY!

The ranch powder is key.

+2490 upvotes

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Ranch dressing packets will help

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
who is judging? what makes you think they will appreciate good chili vs. taco chili with corn, beans, fritos and ranch dressing packets?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

FaradayCage posted:

Add some beef stock (not broth).

What's the difference, if buying either from a store?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

mindphlux posted:

Chili :
  • Beef. Not ground - cubed, preferably something with good beefy flavor. Preferably chargrilled or at least seared off.
  • Chilies. Preferably freshly toasted and ground, or made into a paste
  • Onions/garlic. Preferably caramelized, most likely diced.
  • Good stock. Beef, naturally - but chicken or whatever will do.
  • Salt + pepper.
  • Packet ranch dressing powder

FTFY. It's award winning.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

MasterFugu posted:

allrecipes.com is a good place to go if all you want is a food-based echo chamber.

Have you read http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=161 ?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

withak posted:

Ask your butcher

I wish this existed. I live in the bay area and there's no such thing within 30 miles. only 'meat department' managers that supervise the unloading and stocking of pre-packaged meat.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
we need something like this here https://jordoschopshop.com/

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I thought it was the membranes/seeds in the chipotles that made it hot, not the sauce?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

FetusSlapper posted:

Chipotles are just jalapenos that have been dried by smoking. Canned chipotles are popular, and they're usually canned in adobo sauce; in which I think the spiciest ingredient is paprika. The jalapenos are bringing the heat still, its just that being a liquid and being canned with a solid, you tend to dissolve and absorb some of the chemical properties of the solid that you've been canned with.

I know what they are, use them in my chili. I deseed them to reduce the heat for my wife. Ditching the sauce seems like a pointless waste.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

quote:

The consequence of this is nobody can import this wonderful chilli as stocks are checked and destroyed plus the obvious safety concern this controlled substance possesses - please note though, you would have to consume over 1.5kg of raw chipotle in one sitting to get close to any dangerous levels

:ohdear:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Crazyeyes posted:

1.5kg isn't a whole lot... by chili standards.

The only way this response makes sense is if you're American and so you don't know how much 1.5 kilograms of chipotle would be, given you're so used to freedom-units. Otherwise, wtf?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Ah OK that joke went over my head.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Horse Clocks posted:

Also, Chipotle embargo? Off to whole foods to stock up on cans of the things.

There's whole foods in the EU?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
How does whole food's meat stack up to an English butcher shop? There's no real butchers within 30 minute drive of where I moved to in the USA (and the 30min away one is overpriced because they know they're good). The supermarket meat here is atrociously bad quality. However, the Whole Foods is 20 minutes away and has half-way decent meat; I don't give a poo poo about organic, just quality produce. I miss Australian butchers and greengrocers :(

Looks like you can get a small 200g can of chipotle in adobo shipped from the USA for £4.70 inc. postage on eBay. San Marcos (the best one) is £5.45

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

LorrdErnie posted:

Obviously I can't be sure since I don't know where you are in the US but if you have a moderately large population of ethnic minorities in your area theres a solid chance there actually is a butcher thats just difficult to find online. Barring that Whole Foods generally beats out the grocery stores in quality if not necessarily quality for your money. Other good options are farmers markets or possibly a food Co-op.

Mexican 'butchers' near me don't do the cuts of meat that I want, and the quality of the meat is still poor. For them it's all about being the cheapest. I also don't speak enough Spanish to ask them to cut me proper thick cuts of steak. My local asian market is great for cheap pork, but again their beef is weak.

Farmers markets are only on weekends, and my local one doesn't run during the winter. Nearest co-op is further than the butcher.

Thanks for your help, but I've been dealing with this for almost 10 years I know whats up.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
chocolate and coffee stout is p. good in chili.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
For all the filet mignon haters, didn't you read? They won a COMPETITION! Therefore it's not a bad recipe.

Case in point this woman keeps winning chili competitions: https://www.reddit.com/r/food/comments/2k30b0/i_cant_stop_winning_chili_cookoffs/

quote:

2 lbs ground beef
1 large white onion
4 cans Italian tomato pieces
2 cans Rotel mild green chilis with Lime/Cilantro
1 can corn
1-1.5 package(s) Hidden Valley Ranch powder
1-1.5 package(s) mild taco seasoning
2 packages of Spanish Rice (Knorr)
2 cans pinto beans
2 cans kidney beans
Sea Salt to taste
1 pkg Mexican Cheese Sour Cream

You might question the ground beef, corn, ranch dressing powder, taco seasoning and packaged rice but it's competition winning.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
pork is good in everything.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I prefer san marcos.

Though, chiLpotle? I never noticed that before.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I'm going to deliberately pronounce and enunciate the L now and see how many hits I get. Like a reverse Expresso.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Nobody should give a poo poo about what goes into your chili unless it's a packet of ranch dressing powder. Or turkey.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Taking the chili thread back to its roots with A Good Chili Post. Well done.

Got any more pics of the final product?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Yeah, make your in laws a good stew.

Needs some packet ranch dressing and taco seasoning though.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Chili cook off competition at work Friday after next. I spent the weekend making a shitload of quality beef stock. For the actual chili, if I'm planning on using this stock, do I also add some beer or is it one-or-the-other?

And when people such as Iron Leg are listing 'chorizo, casing removed, cut into cubes' are they referring to harder Spanish chorizo? Because the Mexican stuff I've seen here is super soft and obviously you have to remove the plastic tube it came in.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 21, 2016

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

neogeo0823 posted:

Chilis can range from spicy to fruity to smokey to rich and earthy. The wiki link Iron Leg posted has a quick guide to some of the more common dried chilis and what they taste like.

Isn't anchos the name for dried poblanos?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Getting my stuff together for the work chili cook off competition.

I bought a little Cuisinart food processor that has 'forward chop' and a 'reverse grind' settings. For the chili powder do I want a chop or a grind?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Think I want more of a powder. I'll play with the settings and see how it goes. Don't own a blender.

xergm posted:

What's the major difference of making chilis into a paste instead of powder?
Sometimes I'm lazy, and just soak the dried peppers, and then throw them with the chilis in adobo or whatever else I'm throwing into the food processor.

I could be wrong, but a dry powder would keep longer in your cupboard for another day whereas a paste will go bad quicker?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Why would adding water to the chilis resulting in a paste make it less gritty than adding the powder to the chili pot with stock/beer?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
So here's my big post. Work chili cook off is Friday but I figured letting it rest 2 days in the fridge will only help the flavor. I'll post final results but I'm expecting not to win given the history I'm hearing around curries and not-chilis winning because they're not-chilies. Sounds like some BS but hey I learned a lot doing this.

One big thing I learned was the dried chilies I got had dirt on them. Washing them properly resulting in water. Water resulting in toasting being annoying so I switched to paste. I also learned the BEST chipotle in adobe brand is La Morena, even better than San Marcos. Pics incoming in various qualities and sizes because I am NOT a food photographer and suck. Everything taken with my phone.

Preparing the stock the weekend before last:

Getting my chilies together:

Couldn't get a smoked beer from my nearest BevMo so picked this for the bourbon/oak instead:

Mollie Stones is a ripoff but Alex was cool. I cut these up myself:

I spent too much time trying to get an efficient photo of everything so deal with it. Stock is on the far right:

I did a bunch of stuff that isn't pictured. Here's the end result, at the start of the simmering step:

4 hours later:

I opted for the more 'pulled' style of meat than leaving the soft chunks in tact. Hopefully this pays off:

Thanks for watching.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

FaradayCage posted:

I gotta ask how much basil flavor is left after drying out the leaves and simmering them for up to four hours in chili.

I just followed the recipe. I don't think it's much different to making ragu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I think a can of chopped high quality canned tomatoes, with a quantity of meat as large as what I used and cooked for as long as this doesn't bring too much tomato flavor at all. It wasn't like your typical Americanized spaghetti sauce with passata/paste up to the eyeballs. I've made Mario Batali's Ragu which is just a couple teaspoons of paste and that's it for tomato, which allows the other flavors to shine through.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 2, 2016