Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Made chili and used the chili soaking liquid so it was really bitter. So I added chocolate and now it was too sweet. So I used some ~Thai cooking skillz~ and balanced that sweet with sour (lemon, lime, vinegar-based hot sauce), spicy (it was already really dang spicy), and salty (fish sauce). And also tomato paste for good measure because tomatoes can balance sugar a lil' and glutamate's my friend. Came out a-ok!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I made chili this weekend using this recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/11/real-texas-chili-con-carne.html, omitting the cinnamon, allspice, and fish sauce because I was using nice beef and chilis and didn't feel i needed it. (I didn't bother buying masa but if i had some i would have used it). The chilis I used were pasilla, arbol, and choricero.

Searing the chuck as steaks then cubing post-sear was a revelation. Useful for all sorts of stews.

The chili chunks he called for were too big. It was a little labor intensive but I roughly tore apart the meat chunks post-cook then added them back to the sauce - getting rough tears increased the surface area so it ended up really well.

What surprised me was how much the consistency of the sauce changed after sitting in the refrigerator for 48 hours. The sauce went from thin to extremely thick and the meat became substantially more tender, more than braises normally seem to after sitting. I'm wondering if adding the vinegar post-cook has any tenderizing effect on the meat, but it wasn't much vinegar. Wouldn't change anything, recipe came out perfect (having doubled the arbols the recipe called for).

That the chili was so vastly improved after two days of sitting makes me wonder about the logic of chili cook-offs or if special preparations might be required for them vs normal chili. They still sound very fun.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 22, 2018

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I found mine lost some heat after sitting in the fridge, as well. I assume the thickening of the sauce had something to do with it. You can always add more arbols if you'd like it hotter. My chili was actively bad - chunks of meat and little onion pieces in spicy chicken stock - before it sat in the fridge. I won't even touch it pre-48 hours next time.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 23, 2018