Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Can I just throw it out there that while it is super "we're on public television", America's Test Kitchen produces some of the best bits about how to make the best 'x'.

Yeah, they can end up with even more complicated instructions as Alton Brown's old Good Eats stuff but it's always tasty. We love their Penne ala Vodka recipe to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Thwomp posted:

Can I just throw it out there that while it is super "we're on public television", America's Test Kitchen produces some of the best bits about how to make the best 'x'.

Yeah, they can end up with even more complicated instructions as Alton Brown's old Good Eats stuff but it's always tasty. We love their Penne ala Vodka recipe to death.

America's Test Kitchen/Cooks Country and radio show are fantastic.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

BXCX posted:

Looking forward to that future episode of Kitchen Impossible Nightmares.

Yeah, I'm not feeling it as much either, and I was relatively happy it was coming back for a fourth season. They've been doing a lot of the SURPRISE CHALLENGE/TWIST in a lot of shows, it's like the Food Network programming supercomputer only got the data from the focus group of spiteful inattentives who couldn't handle 15 minutes without some adversity befalling the spatula wavers flipping meats on hot things. This output from the automatic show development software has given us gems like Cutthroat Kitchen, the show where you get to hope that the winner walks away with $15, it has also given us the awfulness of the Culinary Curveball, the appetizer in 15 minutes, and the lol no bread for your sandwich trucks.

I always wondered just why that stupid first plate rule came into Iron Chef America. Figured it was a "this needs to be more like Chopped!" thing.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

angerbot posted:

There's 2 seasons of DONUT SHOWDOWN

http://www.foodnetwork.ca/shows/donut-showdown/

e: cucumber slaw is featuring heavily in the BBQ rib chinatown donut

Weird, I've seen no advertising for this. I guess they lost the Tim Hortons endorsement?

Even though the show itself has major problems with scoring/judging, at least one of the winners is totally legit and has one of the best cafes in my area. The donuts are probably the least interesting or good thing there though.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I watched an episode of "Beat Bobby Flay" It seems to be in the same style as those other 30 minute chopped style shows that food network has been trying out recently. For some reason they decided to add a laugh track which makes the show almost unwatchable. I have no idea why they thought this would be a good decision.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
The whole live audience of hipsters is kind of strange on Beat Bobby Flay, just there so they can say 'oooooo' at whenever anyone calls someone out. They all look like, and probably did, come out of central casting.

My main complaint with that show is it is too rushed for a half hour show, but there's not enough content to make it an hour. They need to just drop the initial challenge between the two chefs at the start and have just one challenging Flay. I kind of like the idea of the other hosts picking someone for Flay to challenge. They should try to make it more of a rivalry between the other hosts and Flay though, keep a ranking of how they are doing.

At least now Flay is beating down on other professional chefs instead of going out to some Mom and Pop operation making apple pies and destroying them.

Given that Iron Chef America seems basically dead at this point there isn't much else competition wise on Food Network for Flay to do and he seems to really enjoy it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Apparently a ton of Food Network stuff has been added to (US) Netflix, like Good Eats, Pioneer Woman, Cutthroat Kitchen, Chopped, Restaurant Impossible, Cupcake Wars, and Triple-D.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Red Warrior posted:

Given that Iron Chef America seems basically dead at this point there isn't much else competition wise on Food Network for Flay to do and he seems to really enjoy it.

ICA is still around but now EVERY episode is a match between the Iron Chefs. It's like they took the complaint that most of the Iron Chefs were barely being used too much to heart and now it's only them.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

flashy_mcflash posted:

Apparently a ton of Food Network stuff has been added to (US) Netflix, like Good Eats, Pioneer Woman, Cutthroat Kitchen, Chopped, Restaurant Impossible, Cupcake Wars, and Triple-D.

Chopped and Good Eats are on Netflix now?

Time to quit my job

Edit: boooo it's like 25 episodes a piece.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Spoeank posted:

Chopped and Good Eats are on Netflix now

Time to quit my job

Edit: boooo it's like 25 episodes a piece.

How much Good Eats is on there? I haven't had a chance to check for myself.

e: nm

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Looks like Good Eats is a sort of "Best Of" collection, so I don't expect them to add more episodes or properly sort them out by seasons.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

axleblaze posted:

ICA is still around but now EVERY episode is a match between the Iron Chefs. It's like they took the complaint that most of the Iron Chefs were barely being used too much to heart and now it's only them.

They burnt off the last few new episodes on Saturday night instead of prime-time on Sunday. I think we'll get a few holiday special episodes at most. Alton Brown made some tweet about not returning to New York to film anytime soon a while back, Cutthroat films in LA and that seems to have permanently taken over the Sunday night 10pm timeslot.

I've not heard anything about a new season of Next Iron Chef either. The last couple of seasons seemed to have the fix in anyway, and we ended up with two horrendously uninteresting Iron Chefs in Zakarian and Guarnaschelli. Really every new Iron Chef after Symon hasn't been that compelling to watch.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I'm still convinced that the only reason we had the last season was to get Guarnaschelli in. They should have just appointed her since that seemed to be their MO and she bombed out of the competition. God drat but do I remember that finale with Zakarian vs. Guarnaschelli to be horrible. And of course she became his sous chef. :jerkbag:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Zakarian's finale was against Elizabeth Falkner, with Guarnaschelli as his sous after being eliminated the prior ep. I remember this because Falkner was a shoo-in to win and even though I like Zakarian, Falkner's a beast and has earned a high-profile gig. Though now that ICA is getting burned off Saturdays at 10PM maybe it's not a big deal. But yeah Guarnaschelli winning the Redemption season was stupid as gently caress and Amanda Freitag totally should have won.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jamesman posted:

Looks like Good Eats is a sort of "Best Of" collection, so I don't expect them to add more episodes or properly sort them out by seasons.

It looks like it's basically all drawn from the last three seasons. Not that that's bad, but still. I was really hoping the turkey derrick episode would be on. That was my first GE episode, and I always liked to rewatch it before Thanksgiving.

On the topic of Alton is he not doing his podcast any more? The last one I remember was where he interviewed William Shatner back in spring.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Chairman Capone posted:

On the topic of Alton is he not doing his podcast any more? The last one I remember was where he interviewed William Shatner back in spring.

If you go directly to his website (http://altonbrown.com/altonblog/the-alton-browncast-podcast/) there are two new podcasts. He doesn't seem to be putting them in the old ITunes feed, but there is a RSS feed: http://altonbrown.com/feed/podcast/. I wonder if he has cut ties with Nerdist.

Edit: you can search the directory and find two Browncast entries now, so I guess he's just abandoning the old feed

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 3, 2014

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

Looking into this more, apparently it's a "relatively short deal", so best enjoy it while we can.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/scripps-networks-interactive-reaches-library-licensing-deal-with-netflix-1412196520

Also, not only are the Neelys of Down Home with the Neelys fame filing for divorce, but apparently they were already separated during the entire run of their show and putting on an act to keep up appearances, the strain of which only drove them further apart. Which isn't terribly surprising, given no actual human being could possibly be as saccharine as they were.

Chairman Capone fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Chairman Capone posted:

Also, not only are the Neelys of Down Home with the Neelys fame filing for divorce, but apparently they were already separated during the entire run of their show and putting on an act to keep up appearances, the strain of which only drove them further apart. Which isn't terribly surprising, given no actual human being could possibly be as saccharine as they were.

I can't prove this because I don't think I ever posted about it but I always felt a deep undercurrent of hatred between those two. I couldn't watch their show without feeling extremely uncomfortable and this is weirdly vindicating.

• Locked thread