Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

I Ozma Myself posted:

Finale:

Zakarian is a douchebag and I will not watch any episode with him GRRR

Does this mean he can finally pay his chefs overtime now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

I hate that the judges on Chopped will complain about people's terminology when they make a "risotto" out of sweet potatoes or whatever, and then say things like "This dish is really unctuous in a good way," or "This chard is oversalted in way that works." Both actual quotes. Both really stupid.

Scott Conant is my least favorite chopped judge. You have to really try to be more unlikeable than Alex Guarnaschelli. Another thing I noticed is Chris Santos must own 100s of vests because it is rare to see him without one on this show.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Has anyone else watched not my mamas cooking? The guy running the donut shop just said their oil is 100% fat free :psyduck:

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah the producers on Chopped clearly try to get judges to be jerks. Aaron Sanchez seems super laid back in about every other show, but usually seems uptight as a judge on Chopped. I think that basically they are all expected to behave like Alex G and Zakarian since those are the most common judges on the show.

I'm going to laugh if it gets one and Two and a Half man still doesn't.

God help you if there is a hispanic mystery ingredient and you misuse it or mispronounce it.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

antisocial posted:

This happens on Top Chef too. The savory chefs come in with a handful of dessert recipes just in case they are forced to do a dessert. At some point in TC, getting assigned dessert was a death sentence because all the chefs were savory and didn't know pastry, but then the contestants wised up after seeing people get eliminated for it.

The very first top chef had Tiffany admit her dessert recipe was given to her by Dave and it basically cost her the title.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

I had missed that story and now I'm sad. :(

Someone in the GBS thread about Paula Deen mentioned something about Anne Burrell's legal issues. I feel like it may have been touched upon in here but I've forgotten: how did she gently caress up?

She mocked a bar tender's cleavage and said another one had saggy boobs and made a motion with her hands to indicate saggy boobs. She also made comments about vibrators and oral sex.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Spigs posted:

Wow, did not hear about that. I'm assuming these comments were made to her employees, hence the legal action?

She made them to employees but if you are on TV everyone assumes you have hundreds of millions so why she said something so stupid thinking she wouldn't get sued I have no idea.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

raditts posted:

I'll bite... what is your problem with lesbian chefs?

Lesbian chefs? I thought lesbians ate out?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

iastudent posted:

Chopped "Viewers' basket choice" episode on now. Appetizer includes scrapple and corn nuts. :psyduck:

Edit: Entree - Bison short ribs, fenugreek, and cheese spread in a jar.

E2: Who wants pork rinds for dessert!

This was among the worst episodes of chopped I have ever seen. If you want to challenge chefs you do not try to trip them up with bizarre ingredients. You force them to use normal ingredients like eggs or milk.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

I like it when people are scolded for making traditional-style dishes (read: traditional, not predictable- there's a difference) with ZANY INGREDIENTS.

What, you're mad that people tried to do something decent with your stupid crap?

meh

There were some hilarious comments from Alex and Geoffrey given what we saw of them on Next Iron Chef. I don't recall Alex being a green market grocer at all.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

"I feel like you really disguised the taste of the cheez doodles."

No poo poo they did. Wouldn't you want that?

Thank you for the cheez doodle salmon dude!

At least for the next few weeks we get to watch Food Network personalities fail on chopped. Next week it is Iron Chefs not named Flay.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

criscodisco posted:

Was it a new Chopped last night? I could swear I looked while setting up the DVR, but I thought it was a repeat.
Yes it was new. It was a viewer's choice challenge as awhile back you could vote on foodtv.com to select ingredients. The next few weeks are Food Network personalities. Next week is Iron Chef Simon, Cora, Garces and Forgione.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Here is the list for the next season of Chopped All-Stars.
Round One:
Michael Symon: Autism Speaks
Jose Garces: St. Christopher's Foundation for Children
Cat Cora: Chefs for Humanity
Marc Forgione: Feeding America

Round Two:
Jeffrey Saad: Alexandria House
Keegan Gerhard: Make-A-Wish Foundation
Marcela Valladolid: Fundación Internacional de la Comunidad, A. C.
Aarti Sequeira: Harvest Home

Round Three:
Chris Nirschel: The Initiative to Educate Afghan Women
Justin Balmes: SafePath Children's Advocacy Center
Penny Davidi: PATH Gramercy (People Assisting the Homeless)
Vic "Vegas" Moea: St. Jude's Ranch for Children

Round Four:
Alex Guarnaschelli: St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
Marc Murphy: City Harvest
Chris Santos: Rett Syndrome Research Trust
Marcus Samuelsson: C-CAP Careers Through Culinary Arts Program

Also if you use twitter please follow FoodNetwerk as Alton Brown is being insufferable again and getting mad at a parody account that is actually funny.

Rousimar Pauladeen fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 7, 2012

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

If there is any justice one day Scott Conant will compete on Chopped All Stars and the basket ingredients will all be different varieties of red onion.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

I hate to stick up for the guy, since he's so totally whiny and unhelpful about it, but isn't it a thing in classical cooking that cut raw onions should always be prepared by at minimum washing in water (if not salt or vinegar) before being served? I thought that was a thing because freshly cut onion has a particular chemical odor that's traditionally considered inappropriate to serve unless you wash it off after cutting. It seems like he's trying to allude to that (possibly outdated or individual) standard but doing it in the most unhelpful and obstinate manner possible, expecting everyone else to know and obey this as some universal law of cooking, which makes him look like a dick.

I am sure if there were some Escoffier principle he would cite it as he seems that insecure but he only offers his personal dislike of raw red onions without commenting on how they do not seem incorporated in the dish or anything to that effect.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Alex Guarnachelli didn't compete in the last Chopped All-Stars, unless I've blocked it out of my memory. This time around seems completely pointless since the first episode was all Iron Chefs and I already figured that Symon was going to dominate the whole competition from the beginning. I don't see any chance of him losing against any of the other contestants and he doesn't seem like the type that would make some stupid Chopped mistake like forgetting a basket ingredient or not putting food on the plate.
The last one with Chopped judges was Maneet, Noted Latin Cuisine authority Aaron Sanchez, Amanda and Geoffrey.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Tonight was a great Chopped episode. I have never been happier to see someone lose than Vito.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Watching Chopped and they were given chicken feet and three chefs forgot to take off the toenails. The upsetting part is the judges keep referring to them as fingernails.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Timby posted:

And there's Marcela Valladolid, Spanish-izing words with such gusto that Giada De Laurentiis could only hope to match.

And in Chopped fashion the only guy who properly cleaned or used the ingredient is eliminated.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

He sucked otherwise.

He got pancake mix and made burned pancakes.

He totally deserved to go. I was just pointing out how this happens frequently.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

I watched the first season of FNS and was "invested" in it to some degree but really don't remember much about it.

It just gets more and more depressing to me with every passing season. Obviously I keep watching it so I have no right to be too critical, but goddamn. This one looks particularly weird.

I remember missing the one episode before the finale and thinking how the hell did the two gay caterers win?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Obeast posted:

By 'chicken in a can' are you guys referring to cubes of chopped chicken canned in water (like tuna), or an entire chicken in a can? If it's the latter, then that is definitely gross looking going by the pictures I've seen of it. :barf:

The chopped canned chicken in water isn't bad, but it's not great. It's probably best for chicken salad sandwiches since it doesn't have much of a flavor by itself.

Pan-fried SPAM is great on a sandwich with a little honey mustard on the bread, or stir-fried with some vegetables and rice.

The one I am most familiar with on the West Coast is in a red can and says ONE WHOLE CHICKEN. If you were going to make a stew then it is actually pretty good but if you have fresh chicken then of course use that instead.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Pretentious, overly precious, take your pick.

It looks like this:

You left out the layer of fat on top of the can or as my dad calls it "flavor."

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

I really hope they do, the feasting on series was summarily excellent.

Alton Brown being my mortal enemy aside he still pissed me off by going to a Russian place for lutefisk when he was in Minnesota.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Why is he your mortal enemy? Did his awesome alliteration ability awash you in shame? Did something not turn out golden brown and delicious? Was your patience not rewarded?

I called him out on twitter and he sent his thugs after me.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

They don't show it anymore but my favorite Food Network special challenge thing was the Cowboy Cookoff narrated by Trace Adkins.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

You weren't the proud owner of the @altonbrownsucks twitter were you?

I think I said this before but when he was acting smug on Next ICA I pointed out how he couldn't even recognize a daikon radish on the first episode. He RT'd me and his followers attacked me for lack of a better term.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah I've seen that too and was surprised, however it just seems like another in a long line of FNCanada hosts selling out (like Anna Olsen promoting loving Splenda and David Adjey's creepy commercials promoting something that isn't cocaine, which is the only thing he's qualified to sell).

The restaurant is doing okay AFAIK though - we were there for our anniversary last summer and it was packed, and still Massimo made sure to come to every table to chat with everyone.

Is Adjey the one who told that guy who was goofing around "I AM NOT YOUR FRIEND YOUR BUDDY OR YOUR BITCH"?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

:lol: at the NFNS reject who wanted to "bring stilettos in to the kitchen" getting kicked off over saffron and fuming about it.

e: there is no way that Marcus will lose this, too.

"Who is she to tell me about saffron?" She's the judge :getout:

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Christopher Irvine posted:

The thing that bugged me about this was that it seemed so personal to her, especially since she was the only one saying much about it. If you want to give criticism go ahead, but don't say "It just drives me NUTS" because you sound petulant and unprofessional. Then again Symon always says "You guys" before talking about his dishes and that drives me insane and not just because I know he should know better (since he's coming from a service industry).

But yeah Symon going out first took all the tension out of the ep because of course Samuelson was going to mop the floor with those two, but seeing Penny lose never gets old.

Anne making that face needs to be someone's avatar.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Robert Irvine has got to be the most condescending chef on the most obvious statements. I had no clue until he mugged into the camera that health inspectors have the power to shut down restaurants.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Robert Irvine was married in a surprise ceremony yesterday. I will be upset if there is no footage of him yelling at designers and the wedding party.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

mllaneza posted:

The flip side of that statement is, where the gently caress were the inspectors shutting down, oh, a third of the places he visited. I like to think there were some awkward conversations at City Hall after Mama
Lee's aired. That place should have been boarded up when he got there.

Completely agreed. The scenes with cockroaches and mice always make me gag.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Christopher Irvine posted:

That was seriously hilarious. And then the judges didn't think it was "hot doggy" enough. I was surprised at how unsophisticated the judges were. I know it isn't rare to have at least one ineloquent person there who is just befuddled by the level of cuisine but two of them gets insufferable.

My favorite was after the ICA relaunch and Big Pussy from the Sopranos was mad that Morimoto was making unconventional food. Have you watched the show before dumbass?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Joementum posted:

Obvious solution: change Mystery Diners to a detective show starring Belz as Munch, newly assigning to Food Mysteries Division.

Munch is, of course, the perfect name for a detective investigating food-related crimes.

Finn could join him if he investigates seafood restaurants.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/11/dining/what-happens-after-restaurant-impossible-leaves-town.html?smid=tw-nytimes&seid=auto

This article about Restaurant: Impossible is unsurprising for people familiar with the success or lack thereof on Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. Most of these restaurants are on life support when Robert shows up and for all his bluster he is no better than Gordon.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

I knew the Flood Tide woman would comment on the awful paneling, though. It was really, really loving awful.

Also reminder that new season starts Wednesday. My favorite from last season was the guy whose special family BBQ recipe was a bucket of KC Masterpiece with some store bought dried spices thrown in.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

osukeith161 posted:

So did Robert successfully just dodge that whole "made up credentials" and "failed restaurants and pissed off investors" fiasco from a few years ago? I mean, what is his expertise? Her Majesty's mess hall? I just don't get how he has any sway besides FN supporting him.

He issued a public apology and was banned from Food Network for life (about 6 months).

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

The only thing better than a smug chef on Chopped losing in the appetizer round is a smug chef on Chopped losing in the finals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

sba posted:

This Pioneer Woman show is a cross between Paula Dean and that one mom on your Facebook that posts 400 pictures of their kids every day.

I actually like her much more than I like Paula. I have made the vegetarian sandwich from her website which I was shocked I like.

• Locked thread