Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I've found that Alton Browns taste buds and my own don't quite match up. He still was an invaluable help in getting me to start understanding - and loving - to cook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

My big problem with Chopped has always been the predatory editing style. It's just flat-out obnoxious.

Not only do they do the "commercial right before reveal" trick, which is common, if you pay attention to the way the whole show is edited, you can get infuriated. The wall-to-wall music is grating, and judging always happens like this: triumphant music plays, judges say good things about a dish, then the judges will throw in a "however" and the music abruptly switches to desperation as they nitpick some thing and show a camera shot of the contestant probably reacting to something 20 minutes ago.

All that having been said, I kind of like the show in spite of these things, I just wish it wasn't so transparently condescending.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Yup, they get extra time to finish their serving dishes. It still is limited, it's just not on-camera.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

No, you don't. Trust me.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

gyrobot posted:

That said, I would kill to see someone who is focused completely on traditional Japanese Cuisine, no fusion, no fancy new techniques. Just good old fashioned traditional imperial Japanese cuisine.

That'd be great, but remember, the judges are judging on an American palate, which calls for bolder and more present flavors and less attention to things like texture and balance.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Ratings-wise, Rachael vs. Guy was a pretty clear success, a top-ten cable show, so that's not it.

Of course, content-wise, Rachael vs. Guy was a miserable failure of epic proportions but that won't stop season 2!

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Understand that they have to try to build some sort of story arc among the hours of video they shot. It's possible that the only thing they could find interesting about the guy was his alcoholism. Or that was the best narrative thread.

As much as classic TV is writer driven, reality TV is editor driven.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Well, they keep saying Forgione is the newest Iron Chef, so it's obvious they recorded this quite a ways back and have been holding on to it for some time.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

ShutteredIn posted:

Oh you missed out on Aarti Party, the dumbest name for a tv show ever.

Can't help but think of this.

"He came here to party - he came to smoke ROCKS!"

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Shocker, Marcus Samuelson wins his round of Chopped Champions.

So it'll be Symon vs. Samuelson in the final 2 unless they seriously gently caress up. That's as it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Like it or not, he was a ratings draw. And you see the problems Food Network has in making its own personalities. If they were bigger, or really cared about respectability, he would never have been back. Being small and not caring about your reputation can do wonders for reasonably talented con artists like Irvine.

• Locked thread