Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Yoshifan823 posted:

The unofficial rule of the topic is Alton Brown is awesome.

I'm okay with this.

I like Chopped, Good Eats, Sweet Genius, and Sugar High is okay.

Other than that I just leave it on as background noise and get vaguely upset at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

robot roll call posted:

From where I am usually standing at my job I can see a TV that is only ever tuned into the Food Network. All I can say is Giada DeLaurentis bending over whatever she's making has gotten me through some very trying times.

If you could hear her speak you'd probably change your tune.

Guy Fieri is obviously at the bottom of the totem pole, but I also hate Bobby Flay for some reason that I can't put my finger on. I think it's his douchey face.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Good Listener posted:

If the Cooking Channel is also a part of this discussion I will say I resent the fact they don't seem to show the original Iron Chef as much as they used to. Love me some Iron Chef, not so much the American one though for some reason.

Iron Chef America lacks Hiroyuki Sakai being awesome and Masaharu Morimoto being weird as gently caress.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Bourdain stuff

I love Anthony Bourdain, even though he strikes me as (possibly) a tremendous rear end in a top hat. I'd love to spend a day with him, though, because he's a fascinating person who's been to fascinating places.

I'd never cook for him, though. :ohdear:

I also don't understand how someone who seems as knowledgeable as Alton Brown would be against molecular gastronomy. It's the science of food, what could be cooler than that?

Also, besides the Food Network, Cooking Channel, and (occasionally) Travel Channel, what networks devote a large portion of their airtime to the culinary arts?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I can't recommend Medium Raw enough. It's his "after I became a 'media person' and spent the last decade as a television host" memoir- and since my first introduction to him was through No Reservations I like it better than Kitchen Confidential.

He's really self-deprecating about his ability (he goes out of his way to say he isn't a 'chef' and hates being referred to as one since he hasn't done kitchen work in a decade and that he wasn't great- by his standard- when he was in the industry) and seems to hold a ton of respect for talented cooks and really anybody who works in the service industry. At the same time, his take on what he calls "normal people" isn't disrespectful or condescending at all and his opinions on what nonprofessionals should know how to do to be "good cooks" are more reasonable than Alton Brown's.

His 'rear end in a top hat' cred comes from his continuous and vocal calling-out of whatever he considers bullshit in the food and food entertainment industries, while repeatedly making the point that he's not using himself or his experiences as any benchmark.

I'll check out Medium Raw. Sounds really interesting.

And I love On Food and Cooking. It's one of the few culinary books I took with me to college, and I'm always finding something interesting in it.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Vanderdeath posted:

I would like to think that it didn't. I never tire of the episode where they have to cook with yogurt and Chen Kenichi's expression at the announcement of the secret ingredient was one of confusion and dismay.

I remember that. :allears:

Is there any sort of Iron Chef boxset I can buy?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Chiming in with everyone saying the QOTSA episode of No Reservations was fantastic (and it was). Tied with the one where he went to Spain as my favorite.

Josh Homme is so cool. :allears:

I also like Sunny Anderson for some reason and I can't put my finger on it.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

axleblaze posted:

Guy is the worst kind of people.

Birds of a feather grow soul patches together.

Only the worst kind of person would think to combine Japanese cuisine and Tex-Mex.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Just flipped to the Food Network because I can't sleep, and they're making Green Bean Casserole Cupcakes on Niche Food Wars.

:psyduck:

I feel like they're not even interested in making food taste good or appealing anymore.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

robot roll call posted:

Wow, Summer Sanders! She hosted some show on Nickelodeon I used to watch all the time as a kid.

Figure it Out

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Brocktoon posted:

NGR was so horrible because the requirements the chefs put on each restaurant were ridiculous. Curtis Stone complained about how one restaurant "doesn't have anything you can walk down the street and eat, like Chipotle does". Who the gently caress walks down the street eating Chipotle? And don't get me started on how Bobby Flay ruined MeltWorks with his insistence on "dipping sauces" for the sandwiches. Who needs a "dipping sauce" for a grilled cheese?

I dunno, you could probably dip it in more cheese and not ruin the integrity of the sandwich.

Alternatively, take the cheese off the sandwich, present it with the cheese on the side for dipping. BAM! Deconstruction.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

ToastyPotato posted:

"It's not what you know, but rather, who you know." He knows the right people.

...whom he got to know by lying about his credentials. Then again, it's not like FN is a bastion of respectability. :v:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

sba posted:

He's creeping me out.

He's a creepy guy, but at least creepy is different. Also his accent makes me laugh and he knows his poo poo.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

This first guy on The Taste is a really big fan of the word awesome; I hate him so much and it's only been 30 seconds.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Binary Logic posted:

I don't understand this screening process. If the mentors keep snubbing cooks aren't they going to run out of contestants?!

The point is that it's supposed to be tough to get on because... I dunno, the other cooking competitions are too easy on their contestants?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I didn't realize we were only going to get one contestant per judge per episode, so the long line of rejections makes more sense now.

I dunno, it just seemed kind of piecemeal. Hopefully the actual competition portions are more interesting.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Are the hosts going to spoonfeed (teehee) the contestants ideas for the entire competition?

E: On The Taste

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

odiv posted:

Bourdain is really popular, but I'm not sure where to start with him, having not seen anything of his before. I watched the first episode of No Reservations and it was pretty rough.

Suggestions on where to begin?

His book Kitchen Confidential is probably the best place to get started, and then if you can find it, a lot of people like A Cook's Tour (both the book and the show)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Rei_ posted:

PIE STYLE WILL NEVER DIE

*drives a van full of C4 into a bakery*

Pie style is a mentally strong style.

• Locked thread