Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Kwik posted:

It gets a little wordy at times, which is Alton's style, but it really boils down to common sense stuff- "If you respect me, I'll respect you, everyone is happy, and if you mess with my family, I'm going to end you."

And really, I can understand where he's coming from- if I ever reach a level of celebrity where people are asking me for an autograph or a picture while I'm in the men's room, I would find that disturbing on about 15 different levels.

Right but at the same time crazy is crazy and the kind of people who do that aren't going to stop because you wrote up some manifesto on the internet, and phrasing it in that way isn't going to endear yourself to all the normal people who do enjoy it.

He's been super controlling about what he puts out there for years though, it's not really a new thing. Five or six years ago he had a blog with comments on altonbrown.com but took it down and had a freak out because guess what, on the internet sometimes people post bad things. He's quit twitter three times already I think, once because people were saving his tweets when he was deleting them after a few hours because he didn't want them staying out there forever, once when someone created the account made to look like his wife and again I think when he just got annoyed at people trolling him.

He doesn't seem to be able to filter out the people who don't like him like pretty much every other celebrity and concentrate on the people who do actually like him, he instead either takes his ball and goes home, or spends all his time interacting with the haters. Recently he spent a whole week just retweeting people criticising him. Why?

He puts all his effort into trying to control the people he doesn't like without realising he can't, instead of putting that to the use of really interacting with actual fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

ElwoodCuse posted:

Retweeting people that criticize you is A Thing, lots of people do it. The best is probably Colin Quinn.

For a comedian maybe or a guy who makes a career being 'that guy'. Other celebrities do it once in a while, but it's just way out of proportion with Alton Brown. His self declared mission is to educate people about food, and instead his twitter is often nothing but 'rt: I hate @altonbrown he's so smug and arrogant!!!1' He could be posting about food and tips and retweeting people actually posting about cooking stuff.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

osukeith161 posted:

I completely thought the fix was in for a female Next Iron Chef, but was okay with it because Anne has competed in kitchen stadium a lot already with Mario, is an adept chef, and would make a good one. (She gets booted.) gently caress that poo poo. I am Zakarian or bust at this point, with Chiarello, Falkner, and Butterball in order of tolerable.

I'd have been most happy with Burrell winnning it. Zakarian can die in a fire for the whole backruptcy to gently caress over the workers he ripped off thing. Chiraello I don't particularly care about either way but he is a bit of a smug bastard. Guarnachelli seems like the person least suited to being an Iron Chef ever, she has panicked and been all over the place in just about every challenge. I guess Falkner is the one left who I'd be happiest about winning, it would be nice to have another female chef amongst the Iron Chefs and at least she offers something a bit different with a bit more of a pastry bent, but can still cook 'regular'.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

angerbeet posted:

Still like Nads.

So do I. There's a line in one episode from the bodybuilder guy where he goes 'For just TEN dollars, less than the price of a cup of coffee at the airport!' that makes me laugh so hard every time.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

ToastyPotato posted:

Hell Kitchen is a pretty bogus show, and I believe one of the finalists actually came out and said that the show purposefully makes things difficult by pulling them out of the kitchen for interviews while they are cooking and loving with the stoves so that they burn or under cook things.

I'm pretty sure this is just mixing up some stuff they did in the first and I think second season when they did things like deliberately cut the power to the ovens or the air conditioning, to mimic things that happened to Ramsay when he was first opening his own restaurant.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

ToastyPotato posted:

Which account did he blow up on? Was it Angry Bobby Flay? Because Angry Bobby Flay changed his name (To Angry BFlay (Parody) or something) and it suddenly said I wasn't following him anymore. :(

It was some Food Network parody account called FoodNetwerk or something. He'd been doing pretty good about not blowing up about stuff for a while and having a somewhat interesting Twitter account. It wasn't very funny what I saw of it but not sure why he went off about it. The other day he went off on Mark Bittman for the saying no one learns to cook from Food Network anymore. He likes AngryBFlay he's talked about getting him on a podcast he wants to do.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Jamesman posted:

It's definitely happened more than 3 times, and not every time resulted in elimination.

I do remember one time though, where a guy cut himself so bad, that his glove(s) were filled with so much blood, the judges were too grossed out to touch his food and eliminated him.

Yeah he had the gloves on and then tossed a salad (shush you) with his hands instead of using tongs and the judges were looking a bit green.

I think Bobby Flay has cut himself more times on Iron Chef though than people have cut themselves on Chopped. That guy is a walking disaster I don't know how he still has all his fingers.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

dude789 posted:

He looks like a happier Voldemort.

Also apparently tonight's Chopped all had contestants from the last Food Network Star or something. The were all hilariously bitchy towards each other. I think all three of them said something like "I know I'm a better chef than those others" when they were chopped.

Most worthless episode of Chopped ever. They could have gone out front of the building and pulled the first four people they saw on the street in to compete and I would have cared more than seeing any of those FNS people cook.

Also I think in the context of being for charity the 'all or nothing' aspect of Chopped is a little off colour. It would be nice if they at least gave the winners of each round 10,000 for their charity and even say 1,000, 2,500, 5000 for each of the other contestants. But no they just splash out 50,000 at the end which is all they would have awarded for five episodes anyway, despite this version being a flagship Sunday night show.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Bonzo posted:

Bourdain started the conversation but Alton Brown is now asking the Travel Channel via Twitter if they would consider rebooting Feasting on Asphalt.

Now that's something I'd like to see. The first two series was fantastic. Didn't like the third though, Feasting on Waves, that just didn't grab me.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Because it is so bizarrely random: from 6-8pm EST tonight on...Travel channel...a pair of Feast on Asphalt Episodes are airing. Why they keep hopping back and forth between here, Cooking Channel, and Food Network with no rhyme or reason to it is beyond me, but hey, set a DVR because they do not appear to be getting any late night reruns.

They could have been gauging interest, Alton Brown pushed to have people ask for a new Feasting on Twitter a week or two ago. Last night he was retweeting anyone who mentioned them being on.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

I think that's the point...they wanna make the winner famous using as little money as possible.

The don't particularly care about making them famous at all, if they get lucky and get a Fieri, well great.

The point of Food Network Star IS Food Network Star - it's a massive ratings generator itself.

Same with Next Iron Chef etc. Symon has broken out of that somewhat, no-one really gives a poo poo about the other next Iron Chefs, but the show about finding them does far better than the show they are being found for.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Captain Capitalism posted:

I still remember Susie Jimenez from last year. It was kind of hilarious, starting with a woman who was assertive and said "I don't just make Mexican food!" The judges questioned her in the first episode, asking why she made French food and didn't stick to her native heritage.

This happens in Top Chef sometimes as well, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't stick with cooking your 'ethnic' identity food.

If you're Latino/Asian/Indian and don't want to cook those, you're usually screwed.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Christopher Irvine posted:

Any positive thoughts I had about Aarón were swiftly destroyed when I watched the premiere of "Heat Seekers". His brosona is like night and day compared to everything else I'd seen.

That show just makes me laugh at him and that Roger Mooking guy sweating their asses off.

Mooking especially because of his terrible Cooking Channel show in which he constantly referred to his 'obedient ingredient' and making me want to stab him through his eyeball.

Also Sanchez doesn't seem to quite have the tolerance for hot food he thinks he does.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Watching that Mystery Diners show holy crap this is worse than I even thought. Some son of the owner is upset that he gets no respect from the head chef, who apparently is pretty good at what he does. Could it be because he's a smarmy entitled little bastard? No way. Supposedly the father is completely oblivious to this and instead of either trusting his son and firing the chef, or telling his son to man up and earn respect, decides to bring in the mystery diners.

They set up the woman mystery diner as a trainee waitress and she outright says her aim is to prove he has anger issues, so they have her annoy the poo poo out of the chef, who is trying to run a busy kitchen, until he gets pissed off and angry. Then they send in the son to the confront him about yelling at the waitress. It's crazy, yeah he's annoyed as he tells the son, who again is interrupting service, because it's not his job to train her in the middle of a busy service, and the son yells back. Finally they all confront the chef, tell him and the son they need to work better together and then everyone is a supposedly happy family.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Joementum posted:

You know what gets me to watch a cooking show?

Personal stories about someone's parent dying.

That was the funniest moment of the show. Justin tells a story about his dead dad and they cut to the male exec who's got this huge grin and is nodding his head because he's so happy.

They've successfully created this fiction that you need to talk about your personal history when cooking or people won't watch.

No you don't - it just provides filler if you can't think of anything else to talk about.

It's for all the people they started employing who couldn't talk about technique or the history of the dish or anything else that might actually be informative. You know, stuff that actual chefs would know.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
I know it's not Food Network but I stumbled across The Chew on whatever the hell broadcast station it's on at lunch. Some cooking oriented chat show with Mario Batali, Michael Symon and Carla from Top Chef.

Anyway they were talking about cooking some pot roast and Symon says something with his mouth full that ends up sounding like 'Mario and I love cooking with cheap c*nts'. There are a few nervous laughs, Mario says in a bemused tone something like 'I'm not sure I quite understood that or agree with it', and Symon quickly swallows and says 'Sorry I meant Mario and I love cooking with cheap cuts'.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Anyone watch the preview of that 'Three Days to Open with Bobby Flay' show after?

Seems an attempt to do another Restaurant Impossible type show. But the scenario is so artificial and the way everyone involved acts just rings of all the drama depicted being completely staged. First how many places are coincidentally opening in three days and know ahead of time they are going to be needing Flay's help to get it all scheduled? At least with Kitchen Nightmares/Restaurant Impossible they've been in trouble for months or years.

In the episode the guy running the place was a complete obstinate idiot, constantly rejecting Bobby's advice. He's launching a chicken finger take out place (that I guess he thinks is for some reason different from every wing place out there - see it's chicken fingers instead of wings).

Instead of actually developing his recipes a day before opening he's all about this crazy publicity stunt of having models throw his chicken finger sauce all over each other while Bobby is telling him what a bad idea it is. This event is attended by a three journalists who ask the guy leading questions that allow him to demonstrate how clueless he is. When he gets back Bobby has quotes from the journalists already printed up and displays them to show him what a disaster it was, and after finally getting the guy to admit how moronic the whole thing was says he's used his influence to have the stories pulled. Sure the journos and their publications involved appreciated how that was portrayed on the show, as though they are happy to pull unfavorable stories at the request of a celebrity.

After that idiot guy suddenly becomes 100% amenable to everything Bobby says, he starts treating his friends well and everything is going to be just great, yay! It was just like the end of some episodes of Kitchen Nightmares where the narrator wraps up with 30 seconds left with 'and then they fired the problem manager, hired someone new who was great and the whole town has decided they are the best restaurant ever'.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Anne Burrell's chef show is pretty stupid as well.

I have watched some of that Hotel: Impossible show and almost enjoy that, though.

Hotel Impossible is actually pretty decent, I thought it was going to be terrible but was pleasantly surprised. I'm surprised it's taken so long for to make these shows here, they showed one of the British hotel ones on BBC America a couple of years ago.

I'm not minding Anne Burrell's Chef Wanted show that much. Contrived, sure, no-one is actually calling her up to find these chefs. It's part Chopped almost, first two rounds the owner asks them to cook a dish with a particular theme with some set ingredients, but the final round is like that short lived Chef Hunter show where the remaining two chefs run a service.

Seen a couple of Chopped alums in the episodes so far. The smug older former musician guy turned up on the most recent episode in Todd English's Olive restaurant. He made the mistake that someone on every episode has made so far - deciding to completely ignore the guidelines given by the owner because 'they'll respect how outside the box my thinking is'.

Later was pretty hilarious as one guy crashed and burned horribly during service and ends up in a state of denial that it's not that bad, and Todd English is so angry he throws a returned plate off the pass to smash in the kitchen.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

smg77 posted:

Does anybody have any info on FN ratings? I'd love to know if Next Food Network Star gets massively better ratings than any show from any of the winners.

Yeah that's why it's on prime time on Sunday nights and the shows from it are on weekend mornings.

The only hit with a Food Network Star is Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives which is a bit of a fluke.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

axleblaze posted:

That wasn't even his FNS show anyways. He had Guy's Big Bite and like many FN people he got a second, non-cooking show and that one took off.

Yeah, which is what I meant saying it was a fluke (that he ended up hosting it and it was a massive hit, which I'm sure they did not really expect at all).

I only ever watched the first episode of Guy's Big Bite which I remember for having the most bizarre editing and camera angles. There was no kidding a 10 second shot of a lighting rig in the ceiling at one point while Guy was talking about something, no idea what went on there.

Loving Life Partner posted:

And DDD is just a huge rip of Alton's Feasting On Asphalt anyway.

Alton... :sigh: :allears:

I think DDD was actually more based off A Cook's Tour. Anthony Bourdain has talked about one of the reasons he left Food Network was that they were talking about another season, but they wanted it to be just based in the US with less 'weird' food since those episodes rated much higher, which would have been pretty much DDD.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Apparently the owners of the most recent place on Restaurant Impossible, the Italian Village, stopped paying their webmaster so he's just put bad Yelp reviews up on it.
http://www.ivrestaurant.com/
http://www.thebraiser.com/restaurant-impossible-owner-webmaster/

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Next Iron Chef: Redemption competitors:

Nate Appleman (Season 2)
Amanda Freitag (Season 2)
Eric Greenspan (Season 2)
Jehangir Mehta (Season 2)
Elizabeth Falkner (Next Iron Chef: Super Chefs)
Alex Guarnaschelli (Next Iron Chef: Super Chefs)
Spike Mendelsohn (Next Iron Chef: Super Chefs, Top Chef: Las Vegas, Top Chef: All-Stars)
Tim Love
Marcel Vigneron (Top Chef: Los Angeles, Top Chef: All-Stars)

http://www.thebraiser.com/next-iron-chef-redemption-line-up/

Yes, Spike again and Marcel.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

smg77 posted:

Bourdain's last book had a really nice writeup of Emeril and his horrible treatment by the Food Network.

Also in the New Orleans episode of No Reservations he hangs out with Emeril, and clearly respects him for sticking with the city.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

axleblaze posted:

Why is there another "spying on the low paid staff of a restaurant" show, this time hosted by a guy that makes Donald Trump seem warm and inviting? I made it through 30 seconds of him before I just had to shut it off. It doesn't help that I don't find "successful because he watches everything his staff does through dozens of cameras" to be an endearing thing to be known for. This looks much worse than Mystery Diners or whatever it was called, and that was also pretty unwatchable.

I hate those hidden camera ones, they tend to blame everything on the workers with just a little bit of 'but you let them get away with it'.

I saw a little bit of one show recently where the guy fixing the place encouraged the owner to fire a person for coming in late when he had never had that policy before 'She's not here yet today? You need to fire her, be a real boss! I can't know that you're serious about this unless you fire her.' He'd always just let it go before, but gently caress you you come in late today, you're fired.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

axleblaze posted:

I think one of my favorite recent examples I've seen of a FN show being really fakey was on the Restaurant: Impossible 50th episode clip show they set up that Robert was going back to one of the restaurants but the owner didn't know he was coming...but of course when he walked in cameras were set up from multiple angles. Now best case scenario they told her that they were shooting b-roll for a special where they checked back with her, but in the same thing they made a big deal of how the reason for the "surprise" was to see if her kitchen was still clean and of course she would still spruce it up even if she just thought they were shooting b-roll.

I mean, it wouldn't have been hard to make it seem like they were surprising her by just having the camera follow Robert in but they just don't give a poo poo.

I'm always amazed that no-one ever cleans their kitchen before they get there in the first place. I mean jesus christ one of the standard things on these shows is the chef coming back into your kitchen and flipping out over how it's caked in grease and cockroaches.

But I guess that's why these people are on these shows in the first place, the attitude that 'oh it can't be that my food sucks or my restaurant is dirty or that I shout at customers or I have no idea what my food costs are like all those other restaurants on their shows, Robert/Gordon will come in and tell me that I am doing everything right and redecorate and I'll get a boost from them being here and that will fix everything'.

Edit: Which brings me to my other gripe, not to do with the shows specifically, but where the hell are the health inspectors in these places? Aren't there any? How the gently caress are some of these places operating when they clearly haven't been cleaned in ten years and literally have rat droppings all over the floor when a loving film crew is coming in to look, what health inspector is missing that?

Red Warrior fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 29, 2012

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Frot Lesnar posted:

On one episode of Robert the health inspector did come in but Robert had to call in a power cleaning crew anyway and was able to talk the inspector into not shutting them down since it was being taken care of. Additionally although I am a liberal I laugh at your notion of government inspectors having the time and resources to scour every restaurant under their dominion.

I know a lot of these places are in areas where the inspectors (if there are any) might be stretched thin and I'm not expecting once a month inspections or anything, but we're talking about places no-one could have stuck their head in for YEARS.

I just imagine they are in some libertarian type areas where people are like 'we don't need health inspectors, if the place is unsanitary people will die and then no-one will eat there anymore, the free market works!'

Edit: Of course it's probably just 'we don't have money to pay for an inspector' :(

Red Warrior fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 29, 2012

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

For whatever reason I am e-mail subscribed to the old (original?) Irvine discussion (about his embellished credentials) on Chowhound, and someone bumped it out of nowhere today.

So I guess I'll just share that all over again.

http://www.sptimes.com/2008/02/17/Southpinellas/TV_chef_spiced_up_his.shtml

Chowhound link: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/490766

Scanning through that again it's fascinating to remember the depths he sunk to in terms of the lies and then not paying people.

I see it mentions he had a wife and two children, so guess he got divorced as well in the last couple of years.

And is that pay-for-award Five Star Diamond Award it talks about him getting and trying to give to the actual White House Chef the same award Ramsay got for the Vermont owner on Hotel Hell?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Speaking of people who seem quite nice on Food Network but seem to turn a bit dickish the more you dig, Alton Brown is the guest on the most recent Nerdist podcast with Chris Hardwick.
http://www.nerdist.com/2012/08/nerdist-podcast-alton-brown/

And you know what, it's vintage Alton Brown, he's funny and charming, no sign of the weird Twitter Alton Brown.

He talks about the history/creation of Good Eats, Iron Chef America (he was offered the chairman role or commentator, he also says a chef once tried to bring in marijuana to use), and teases a Mythbusters appearance, it's actually really worth a listen. He even drops an f-bomb which I never expected to hear out of his mouth.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

His daughters were on the recent wedding show, I think.

Oh neither myself or my fiance could bring ourselves to watch that.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

osukeith161 posted:

Ah, the good old days. Is that what forced him to then go into "seclusion" for a few episodes when he was embarrassed with the performance of his Iron Chefs? Only to find him watching from the rafters while they returned to glory? That show was so over the top it was magical.

That was when the Iron Chefs lost like four in a row, and you saw him peeking around the edge of the curtains for a couple of episodes until one of them won again.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

flashy_mcflash posted:

whaaaat. This sounds incredible. Like WCW with food.

The Japanese series had all kinds of stuff like that going on, there were various 'factions' of challenging chefs (usually chefs who believed the Iron Chefs weren't traditional enough) who would continually challenge the same Iron Chef to try and beat them.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Frot Lesnar posted:

http://eater.com/archives/2012/05/29/batali-on-iron-chefs-skinny-little-actress-judges-who-the-gently caress-are-you.php

The most brutal Iron Chef Japan was the turtle battle which was so bloody when they deshelled them that they never aired it again.

I saw that on a marathon one that aired one holiday, it was utterly horrifying.

Edit: Actual awesome stuff on IC:
- When Doc Hattori challenged for the right to be an Iron Chef
- When the challenger's mentor sat in on the battle and got drunk and started physically abusing the challenger's helpers
- When an old schoolmate of one of the Iron Chef's (Sakai I think) challenges him after he returns to his old home town for his high school reunion
- Chen being challenged by his father's other apprentice
- The Ohta faction progressively bringing more and more chefs with them every time they turn up until there's a like a hundred of them marching in
- The guy who cooks by himself who sends away his helpers, when the Iron Chef notices he sends his away also so it's a one-on-one battle

So many more...

Red Warrior fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 30, 2012

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Jack Skeleton posted:

I just can't muster any fucks about the trucks on food truck race. They make a big deal about the Italian chick's accident which cost them a whole $250 after deductibles.

I thought this season was going to be good with the idea of them winning the food truck, but completely lost interest and took it off my DVR after two episodes. Couple of competent teams and then the rest seem to be morons, and not even in an entertaining way.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

dude789 posted:

I'm so glad that Sweet Genius is back. It's so much more cheerful and positive than all of those other Food Network challenge shows. Introducing bacon as the mandatory ingredient right after doing the profile on the vegetarian lady was amazing.

I switched over to Food Network at some point last night and saw a woman in a clown costume staring into the camera and said 'oh Sweet Genius is back'.

The bacon thing isn't quite as bad as when they had rum or some other spirit as an ingredient on Chopped for a recovering alcoholic.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Ted Allen just needs to force his way onto a second season, if it happens, for Cuisine Culture---he could be a drunken foil to Ashley James or something. That'll handle the high end and then some---found out about so many tasty things I was able to track down thanks to that show and the wonderfully over the top porno-like intro/theme.

He should have always been the floor guy or a second commentator on Iron Chef. I think he did that on the Hawaiian military episode and it was really cool.

We picked up some issue of Consumer Reports on kitchens and it had an article on Ted and his partner's kitchen and it is awesome.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Y Kant Ozma Boo posted:

I didn't know that! Good to know.

And now, on Halloween Chopped, NOT ONLY IS THE CHICKEN BLACK! BUT! IT STILL HAS ITS HEAD AND FEET ON IT!

oh my god BLACK CHICKEN!? THIS IS UNHEARD OF

send help

Silkies are really cute chickens, though I think chickens are cute in general (and still eat them anyway).

I'm so glad she didn't win. I thought she was going to get there simply by having someone else screw up worse in each round.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Christopher Irvine posted:

NICA Redemption was sooooo boring. Just kick everyone out except for Mehta and Falkner so she can win already.

Yeah we ended up just having this on in the background last night while we cleaned up the kitchen and it's just a mob of most of the least interesting and sympathetic people from previous Next Iron Chefs.

I think part of the problem is that I don't see that much in the value of the prize anymore. I've said before that the Food Network 'Next' competitions have become bigger than the prizes - after Food Network Star you get someone else to fill a timeslot at 10:30am on Sunday who cares, after Next Iron Chef they pop up once in a while to cook in yet another battle with some boring ingredient on Iron Chef. Does anyone tune in to watch Garcas or that rear end in a top hat Zakarian?

The only interesting person to ever come out of Next Iron Chef is Symon. Who cares about any of the others? They need to revamp Iron Chef itself and make it a big deal again. Throw out all the Iron Chefs, or have a big tournament with one staying (Symon) and the others losing their status. Get the biggest names you can to replace them, Ming Tsai wanted to be an Iron Chef and you made him go through NIC? That's stupid. Manufacture some opposition faction like the Ohta faction in the Japanese Iron Chef - Bobby Flay would actually be great for this - after losing the tournament he wants revenge! He knows how this worked on the original, he can play the bad guy.

The craziness is what sustained the Japanese show for so long. Having the same thing week after week is boring - challenger comes up, Iron Chef #452 knocks them down. Make it interesting to have the establishment vs the challengers, otherwise it's just Chopped with people who come back more often. Integrate some ideas from Chopped and Sweet Genius - after 30 minutes a second theme ingredient is introduced that must be integrated into half the dishes!

I'm throwing a lot out there but gosh they need to do something to make NIC and IC something worth caring about again because they are just running it into the ground.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

axleblaze posted:

My vision for Iron Chef America has always involved a plot where AB murders the chairman and takes over his position. The intro would show the chairman holding up a pepper, then smirking and biting into an apple and then falling over dead. Alton then walks in dressed like the chairman on the original show, takes the pepper from the Chairman's hand and takes a big bite out of it. It would be glorious.

ICA really just needs to be sillier. I actually like that they seem to take the good and and judging parts of the show more seriously than the original but all the background stuff should just be as silly and flamboyant as possible. If you're going to manufacture a narrative, you might as well manufacture a ridiculous one.

That'd be great. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure I remember reading an interview in which he said he was offered the chairman role or commentator originally and had no interest whatsoever in being chairman. Maybe if they semi-combined the two? He's been ok acting as the chairman's 'proxy' when the chairman wasn't available.

I've always wanted a second commentator that Alton could play off which he would definitely need in that situation I think. Have Ted Allen come in. Hell have him manage a group of Chopped Champions.

Ron Israel challenges with a group of Sweet Genius winners in desert battles! How cool would that be.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Thanksgiving Live is starting right now. It was pretty fun last year.

Edit: If you're missing this, catch the replay. Alton is giving Giada so much poo poo, it's fantastic.

Red Warrior fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
My wife and I are looking forward to that Sugardome show. She particular enjoys the crazy sugar sculptures on those competition shows.

Been watching some Restaurant Impossible and they are really laying on the 'fixing the personal problems between owners/family members' much more this season, the new design and cooking parts of it have been scaled way back which is a shame. Gotta have that drama I guess.

• Locked thread