Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I Ozma Myself posted:

Alex G's the worst part of chopped/anything FN, hands down.

Guarnaschelli's random surliness is what makes her such a good judge. She can like your dish one second then absolutely dismantle the next in a barrage of criticism. I like her better than Freitag, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I miss Molto Mario and Mario Batali in general. He needs a new show. Watching Molto Mario reruns in the dead of night got me interested in cooking, along with reruns of Good Eats and the Galloping Gourmet.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I Ozma Myself posted:

I think there's supposed to be a soap-opera-esque element to the original iron chef that is lost in translation here. I mean, all the stuff about the "factions?"

Toshiro Kandagawa and the Kandagawa Faction were the undoubted antagonists of Iron Chef. I mean, sure, it was soap opera-y, but some of those battles were the best battles on Iron Chef. When Toshiro cut all of his hair off and came back serious as all hell, you knew poo poo was gonna go down. It was almost like a culinary wrestling show whenever he featured.

Speaking of which, is there a place to view the old Iron Chef episodes? Last I heard, they were having some sort of trouble keeping the rights to the Backdraft music and Food Network lost the rights to show it or something.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Jamesman posted:

Oh man, I forgot that part.

I really wonder if the original Iron Chef had that much hand-holding. It really didn't feel like it, but it might have just been better edited (and also didn't have a behind-the-scenes special revealing how everyone was a big pussy). At the very least, the handling and preparation of ingredients was definitely more hardcore.

I would like to think that it didn't. I never tire of the episode where they have to cook with yogurt and Chen Kenichi's expression at the announcement of the secret ingredient was one of confusion and dismay.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Declan MacManus posted:

I remember that. :allears:

Is there any sort of Iron Chef boxset I can buy?

I think the music rights issue has bogged down any DVDs. I watched some of the episodes on the Cooking Network and honestly, a lot of the show's soul was the bombastic Backdraft score backing a cooking show. It lost a lot of that with the new songs which are about as generic as generic can get.

Edit: What I'm saying is that Iron Chef just isn't Iron Chef without its main theme.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 4, 2011

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

ToastyPotato posted:

Words cannot express the level of annoyance that I feel with music rights issues on TV shows and rebroadcasting. It's so petty and I really wish that TV shows would make a point by just flat out refusing to pay for any music licenses until they can get reasonable deals that allow for rebroadcasting and redistribution in the video market.

"Why yes, I will sell you right to use my song for years on your television show! What? You want to put your show on DVD now? gently caress YOU. I don't want people hearing my poo poo! gently caress YOU Pay me more!"

One of the issues is that since Iron Chef is a Japanese show, the prices for the rights to the Backdraft soundtrack were probably drastically lower than they would be in the States. As you said, the DVD issue will probably never get resolved. The soundtrack is distributed by the Warner Music Group here in America and WMG is notorious for trying to milk blood from a turnip. It's such a shame because I would pay a bit of money for a complete boxset of Iron Chef in its original glory.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I Ozma Myself posted:

Was he born again or has he always been quite religious?

A while back, I read a local Atlanta newspaper interview with Brown and he said that he became born again sometime in the early Aughts. This was before he got really, really popular, so he didn't come across as anything other than affable and friendly in the interview.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

flashy_mcflash posted:

Beerneer neer neer neer...(that's right!)...you've got to GET ALONNGGG...with NOOOOOO RESERVATIONS

This picture is glorious and makes an amazing amount of sense. I can't imagine Bourdain as anything but an old world-weary jerk with a heart of gold despite seeing this though.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I always gave Paula Deen the benefit of a doubt but if any of that is true then she can go to hell. I still believe the only good thing to come out of the South is Alton Brown and this reinforces that notion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

dude789 posted:

Being from the south, I can assure you that Alton Brown is not the only good thing to come from the south, and nothing makes me roll my eyes more on these forums than reading a bunch of people generalize about the region just because a couple dipshits from the south make everyone else there look bad. Reading the article, it sounds like Paula was just being honest about her usage of the word, and seeing how she is an old lady from the deep south, I don't think it's too shocking that she has in fact used it. Her brother though sounds like he would be awful to work with and if some of the stuff that the waitress says is true, that's where the real part of the story is and she should definitely sue the poo poo out of him.

I've lived down here for 13 years, so I'm rather firm in that assessment.

It's also a joke because I have family from Georgia.

The one thing I do hope for is Food Network's termination of her programming and her subsequent job termination along with it. If Irvine got kiboshed for a bit because of his resume flub then I think Deen should get kicked to the curb hard and lose all of her endorsements.

• Locked thread