Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comp-U-Shit
Nov 14, 2008

windsor posted:

Seeing that berzerker is terribly easy and can solo every unit, I'm sure the Claymore will allow zerks to finally solo the Patriarch.

They already can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi3-GHSiVBo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wretchx
Dec 4, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Corn Scientist posted:

They already can.
I should've added "with ease." I expect nothing less from Fang.HD and his 2400 hours of KF.

Fishmonkey
Jun 22, 2004

Professional Boob Puncher
I didn't know zerkers can interrupt the Patriarch's ranged attacks. Can other classes do the same?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

Was just about to post this in the old thread, saw this one, and saw you already have tips for each class. Good on ye :tipshat:

Was just going to point out that Alteisen made a post like that once... in fact this should be it. One of the most common noob questions seems to be 'o god how do I play <class> well?' so that's definitely good OP material.

:siren:Custom Music:siren:
It's super easy to change the game music, simply replacing the existing music files with other files of the same filename does the trick. Here are some links to a few of my favorite packs.

1) To use these, browse to steamapps/common/killingfloor.
2) Rename your Music folder to something else, MusicORIGINAL or the like.
3) Unzip your desired pack into /killingfloor and rename the folder to Music.
4) Load the game and rock the gently caress out :rock:

Random Metal - Someone from the first thread put this together (who?), it's the one with the Pat song replaced with Slayer's Raining Blood. some random goofy metal, nice for a change of pace when you're tired of the default soundtrack. This won't have files for the more recent maps.

Prog Metal - I put this together for a friend. It's very different than the standard rock/metal music the game comes with but I think it works surprisingly well if you're into prog at all. This won't have files for the more recent maps.

Death Metal - I made this one as well, death metal and grindcore. Not for the faint of heart, but I think it came out really well and fits with the game perfectly. I've been using this for like a year now and have absolutely no desire to go back to the default tunes. I've kept this one up to date so all stock maps will have different music.

Comedy Option DMX - Another goon from the first thread (who?) made this. Good for a laugh, but I couldn't keep using it after a few hours. If you're actually into rap YMMV. This won't have files for the newer maps.

This is awesome information, both on the gameplay side and modding side. Definitely adding this to the OP.

E: Does anyone know about any good comprehensive map packs out there? That'd be pretty useful to add to the OP.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 3, 2011

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

windsor posted:

Seeing that berzerker is terribly easy and can solo every unit, I'm sure the Claymore will allow zerks to finally solo the Patriarch.

They can solo him already. :smug:

And I would hardly call the zerker class easy. :stare:

Man my PC just had to pick this moment to gently caress up, I'm glad its a permanent thing at least.

Edit: Hey I played with that fang HD dude once, he helped us on mountain pass, blew himself up with a pipebomb hat if I remember correctly.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 3, 2011

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

As awesome as a Husk arm would be for Firebug (and it is nice to see my class getting some love) I would really prefer a fire based weapon that maybe does less damage but doesn't slow you down as much. I love playing Firebug a shitton but it's frustrating when by the time you get to the later waves, you're useless because you're too slow to justify doing anything but standing in the middle, trying desperately to get rid of clots and crawlers while avoiding the big guys that will gently caress you up if a lick of fire so much as looks at them funny.

For the sake of balance I don't really mind the fact that I suck against Skrakes, Fleshpounds and the other big guys because I tear through smaller zeds like they're butter but Firebugs are so weighed down by their primary weapon that if you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and end up in the path of a Fleshpound rage, you're pretty much done for. It would be nice to actually be able to survive that stuff. I don't need to be able to kill it, that's the Sharpshooters and Berserkers job, just give me the chance to actually survive and I'll be happy.

Or maybe this is all just bullshit and I suck at my class. Either way!

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Does anyone have any general tips for making the leap to harder difficulties? My group is currently playing hard most of the time, and I'd say our success ratio is finally edging over 50%. But Normal is pretty much a walk in the park at this point. We generally fall apart at the typical point, when something huge comes in, then something huge comes in again before we've fully recovered/reloaded/got back into place/are prepared to deal with it. Or we get hit from multiple sides simultaneously by multiple big guys.

My team is usually:

support (me)
commando
firebug
demo

All level 6.

I'm wondering if we're crippled because nobody plays a sharpshooter really. I like sharpshooter and have a level 5 but if I played sharp we wouldn't have a support. But then I've read that class make-up really isn't that important so I don't know.

I think one of our biggest problems is that the commando and, to an extent, the firebug have little ability to take down high-threat guys. Even the demo is better in groups of smaller guys due to having to waste so many nades on a large guy. When a scrake or fp comes through the fastest way to deal with it is usually my aa12 or a pipe.

So when we set up at some location and everyone takes a chokepoint, I can usually handle all my stuff no problem. But if a pipe in someone else's chokepoint goes off and isn't reset and something else shows up, that's when it goes to poo poo. But I feel like saying "we die because the other guys on my team can't handle high-threat enemies" is kind of pretentious and arrogant and I know it's not JUST that. But I do think that having relied on pipes for much of our big stuff has disadvantaged us a little for when poo poo hits the fan.

So with that in mind, any tips?

Edit: A little expansion on our usual tactics. Most of the time, we try to hold up in an area with 2 or 3 chokepoints, and enough space between the chokepoints to retreat in case poo poo hits the fan. I hold a chokepoint myself, and the commando and firebug either group up on the other one or hold one each. Then the demo is a floater, usually parked somewhere he can see both areas to rain down hellfire.

Also, for support I still prefer pump+aa12 instead of hunting+aa12. I use pump for all the small stuff and switch to aa12 for big guys or hairy situations. Should I try using hunting+aa12 and use aa12 for small stuff? Usually I am holding a chokepoint myself and am pretty self-sufficient so I'm not sure if aa12 would have enough ammo unless we switched tactics so I regularly have another partner to deal with the smaller guys.

sighnoceros fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 3, 2011

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Here ya go

Here's a thought: If the M-16 on the right has a grenade launcher attachment, I think the alt-fire will be launching the grenades, and the M-16 will be a burst fire weapon. The first true multi-class weapon :v:

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 3, 2011

Grinspork
Jun 20, 2004

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED
Dammit, it is a Claymore and not a harpoon gun!

TRIPWIRE!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Are the weapons coming at the same time as the free weekend?

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy

sighnoceros posted:

Does anyone have any general tips for making the leap to harder difficulties? My group is currently playing hard most of the time, and I'd say our success ratio is finally edging over 50%. But Normal is pretty much a walk in the park at this point. We generally fall apart at the typical point, when something huge comes in, then something huge comes in again before we've fully recovered/reloaded/got back into place/are prepared to deal with it. Or we get hit from multiple sides simultaneously by multiple big guys.

My team is usually:

support (me)
commando
firebug
demo

All level 6.

I'm wondering if we're crippled because nobody plays a sharpshooter really. I like sharpshooter and have a level 5 but if I played sharp we wouldn't have a support. But then I've read that class make-up really isn't that important so I don't know.

I think one of our biggest problems is that the commando and, to an extent, the firebug have little ability to take down high-threat guys. Even the demo is better in groups of smaller guys due to having to waste so many nades on a large guy. When a scrake or fp comes through the fastest way to deal with it is usually my aa12 or a pipe.

So when we set up at some location and everyone takes a chokepoint, I can usually handle all my stuff no problem. But if a pipe in someone else's chokepoint goes off and isn't reset and something else shows up, that's when it goes to poo poo. But I feel like saying "we die because the other guys on my team can't handle high-threat enemies" is kind of pretentious and arrogant and I know it's not JUST that. But I do think that having relied on pipes for much of our big stuff has disadvantaged us a little for when poo poo hits the fan.

Edit: A little expansion on our usual tactics. Most of the time, we try to hold up in an area with 2 or 3 chokepoints, and enough space between the chokepoints to retreat in case poo poo hits the fan. I hold a chokepoint myself, and the commando and firebug either group up on the other one or hold one each. Then the demo is a floater, usually parked somewhere he can see both areas to rain down hellfire.

Also, for support I still prefer pump+aa12 instead of hunting+aa12. I use pump for all the small stuff and switch to aa12 for big guys or hairy situations. Should I try using hunting+aa12 and use aa12 for small stuff? Usually I am holding a chokepoint myself and am pretty self-sufficient so I'm not sure if aa12 would have enough ammo unless we switched tactics so I regularly have another partner to deal with the smaller guys.
With two classes design to take out little stuff you're shooting yourself in the foot. My suggestion would be go

Support
Sharpshooter
Commando, or Beserker
Your demo is fine

as for your strat
go AA12/Hunting shotgun
use the aa12 in general, also open with the aa12 on big stuff burst the rest of your clip then switch the hunting shotgun and alt fire to finish them off.
the AA12 does less damage than the other shotguns, but its speed makes it good.

Deargodalion fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 3, 2011

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Orange Crush Rush posted:

FYI that crazy looking thing at the bottom is totally the Husk's arm cannon.

Oh man, that would own. I hope it's true.

I was hoping the revolver would be a Colt SAA or something like it (I love single-action revolvers) but it looks a lot like a S&W .44: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:S...transparent.png

e; M16+203 will loving own if it's a Demo weapon. Finally something I can fire at smaller enemies that isn't the pistol.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Out of curiosity, can anyone link to the picture with the new weapons? I've looked on Tripwire's forums and elsewhere and can't seem to find it.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Scroll up dude.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

I think everyone here is looking at the bottom right gun in the wrong light. If we rotate it, we see it's obviously a jetpack for the firebug who will overcome his problem with slowness by just spraying flaming death from above.

(This will never happen but who cares new weapon pack is fantastic either way).

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

sighnoceros posted:

My team is usually:

support (me)
commando
firebug
demo

All level 6.

You are really gimping yourself by not having a good sharpshooter. No other class can deal with the heavy stuff so well. I am slowly working through the maps with a friend who bought KF recently, and we tear poo poo up with him as sharp and me as support or commando. On several occasions we have joined pubs and had to take on 250+ zeds after the rest of the team has wiped, with little trouble. Go handcannon/crossbow and you will do very well for yourself.
Having said that I much prefer support to sharpshooter so I can understand if you don't like the class. Maybe get one of your friends to go sharp?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

sighnoceros posted:

I agree with your original hypothesis (and Pumpking), with that setup you don't have a good way to quickly take out Scrakes and FPs. Doesn't sound like it's anybody's fault, you just don't have the classes to do it (SS and Berserker). Having a good SS at least is virtually required at higher difficulties, the ability to oneshot Scrakes and doubletap FPs is a benefit to your survival that cannot be overstated.

I recommend having the demo go SS, or you go SS and demo go Support. Demo is useful on certain maps but if they don't have room to work they just can't pull their weight.

My Support loadout is actually pump + HS. I use the pump to take out most things, and pull out the HS for large groups and to onehsot Sirens/Husks. When the big dudes come, I let other classes take them out, or try to time it so they're weakened and I can finish them off with a HS blast. You said you're lv6 so I assume you already know this, but for anyone else: HS should only be used in alt-fire unless you have NO other ammo left or you don't have time to reload something else. Firing each barrel individually is just not cost/damage effective.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

sighnoceros posted:

So when we set up at some location and everyone takes a chokepoint, I can usually handle all my stuff no problem. But if a pipe in someone else's chokepoint goes off and isn't reset and something else shows up, that's when it goes to poo poo.

When my group of friends play, and there are usually 6 of us at level 6 playing on Sui or HoE, we find spots with 2 or less entry points. You having only 1 person at each spot is not a great idea, in my mind.
I can't think of any base map off the top of my head that requires you to have more than 2 places to cover.
Our usual team is 2 sharpies, a medic, support, commando (me), and a demo. Depending on the level, I usually start as FB or berserker until wave 3 or 4. If we're playing the Portal level, I just camp a doorway as the berserker with the katana and everyone else heals me and fires over my head.

Scyantific posted:

E: Does anyone know about any good comprehensive map packs out there? That'd be pretty useful to add to the OP.
When my buddies used to play at my place every week, I'd go through the whitelist thread on the Tripwire forum and grab all the new maps and replace any that had new versions. There is a lot of dross, so I'd quickly playtest each of them the night before to weed out the lovely ones. Some were plain awful, and some would take forever to play with only 6 players, or creatures would spawn behind scenery and get stuck.

Obviously we'd only play the whitelisted ones so all the perks are functional and level up.
After that I'd compile up updated map pack and get everyone to copy it off my box when they arrived.

I haven't done that for about a year, though. Here's the list of maps in my "maps to grab" folder that have passed at least a modicum of testing and suit my friend's playstyle, or have some amusing gimmick we liked. Remember that this is a year old, and they may have all been superseded and hence no longer whitelisted. Just check the forum I posted above.

KF-2005Bioticslab.rom
KF-2005Manor.rom
KF-2005Offices.rom
KF-2005SewersV2.rom
KF-2005WestLondon.rom
KF-420-Ganja-Farm-Reweeded-V1-1.rom
KF-420-Ganja-Farm-Reweeded[EW]0.rom
KF-420-Ganja-Farm-V1.rom
KF-AquaStudy-V2Final.rom
KF-Arcade-Skatepark-FIN.rom
KF-Archives.rom
KF-AspenManorFinal.rom
KF-AsylumOfDeath_Beta1.rom
KF-Aventine.rom
KF-BarbedSchool65.rom
KF-BarzakhV2c.rom
KF-BellTolls.rom
KF-Biohazard-XTX.rom
KF-Brewery.rom
KF-BunkerI-V1.rom
KF-Candlesmoke.rom
KF-Canyon-Final.rom
KF-Carnival11.rom
KF-CarryOnUp.rom
KF-CastleAvernusV1.rom
KF-Chthon.rom
KF-Complex.rom
KF-Complex2-[LT]RC.rom
KF-Constriction.rom
KF-CornerMarket_v3.rom
KF-Crag_B3.rom
KF-Crematorium.rom
KF-Crystal-Lake-CE-V1-7a.rom
KF-DammageV3b.rom
KF-Deadcenter_fix.rom
KF-Distrikt.rom
KF-Downtown_Derelict_2-7.rom
KF-ElementarySchool.rom
KF-Farm-Day.rom
KF-Farmiloe.rom
KF-Floor17Final.rom
KF-Fortress_v1.rom
KF-GoingUndergroundB3.rom
KF-Grevona.rom
KF-HarbourV3.rom
KF-HELLBETA2-1.rom
KF-Industry.rom
KF-KalendraBeta.rom
KF-KingOfTheHill.rom
kf-lostboys.rom
KF-MountainPassDay.rom
KF-MountainPassNight.rom
KF-Multifarious.rom
KF-MyHomeIs-1b.rom
KF-Northsuite.rom
KF-OrmanManor.rom
KF-OutPost22.rom
KF-Oviamoire.rom
KF-PandorasBox_v2.rom
KF-RaccoonInternationalAirportWB.rom
KF-RE1-Mansion-Story.rom
KF-Refugev2.rom
KF-RO-KrasnyiOktyabrV1.rom
KF-RuralRoad2v1.rom
KF-SawnOfTheDead1-2.rom
KF-SmellyCave.rom
KF-Suburbia_Final.rom
KF-Survival.rom
KF-Swamp.rom
KF-ThelongDarkRoad.rom
KF-TownhouseDefenseBeta2.rom
KF-TrailOfTheWoodsFINAL.rom
KF-Train.rom
KF-Train25-[LT]RC.rom
KF-WickedCity.rom
KF-WretchedV1.rom

Gromit fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 3, 2011

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
The barrel of the gun with the grenade launcher on the right doesn't look like an M16 to me (I hope it's not, just for variety), but I'm not an expert on these things.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I stole this from the tripwire forums

So that thing at the bottom probably is the husk arm thing.

wretchx
Dec 4, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alteisen posted:

They can solo him already. :smug:

And I would hardly call the zerker class easy. :stare:
Berzerker is easy and overpowered, it is fact. :colbert: But I'm not going to discuss it again as it was done in the old thread.

Also, that video is deceptive because that map is almost always played locally or on a listen server and hence within a zero ping environment. It's much easier to maneuver around the Patriarch and zeds in general when input feedback is instantaneous or near instantaneous. On a server with 100+ ping, it's significantly harder to pull off.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
gently caress it, I want that last thing to be a sentry gun you can deploy as a medic.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
M-16 should be the new medic weapon. Fires healing grenades because why the gently caress not.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
An area of effect healing weapon would be kind of cool.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
Been playing on a server with the LFW(?) mod weapons that are whitelisted, MK23 is the only pistol for me.

Also leveling Commando with the FN FAL + ACOG is wonderful.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
The new weapons would seem to be way overpowered compared to what is in the game currently but my dad works at TripWire and he told me that they will only be available to classes levels 8 and up. Level 7 Medic is 1M heal points :v:

In other news, I was just reminded why I still enjoy this game after 2-whatever years. Berserking around on mountainpass with another like minded melee dude. A couple of decent medics and some low levels made up the rest of the team. Me and the other zerker took care of most of the zeds, but the rest of the team held their own at least. A pretty exciting game, had several close calls. In wave 10 we got overrun from the reststop trader and had to kite, I got pinned between some Stalkers and a raging Scrake and got down to 3hp. Somehow survived that and finished up the wave, decided to try and saw the pat in the restroom since somebody needed the map achievement. 2 guys went demo and mined the outside of both doors, think there were only 2 berserkers actually, the other guy stayed medic. Once the pat came in things got hectic, I almost ended up grenading myself to death at one point. Finally as he was coming back from healing he went to the second door where there were more pipes and that finished him off.

Man I need to set up FRAPS and try to record a high wave of a HoE game and put some instructional subtitles in there or something for common zerker tactics.

\/\/\/ It's true! My dad said so :smug:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 4, 2011

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

The new weapons would seem to be way overpowered compared to what is in the game currently but my dad works at TripWire and he told me that they will only be available to classes levels 8 and up. Level 7 Medic is 1M heal points :v:

...:stare:

What?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Takes No Damage posted:

\/\/\/ It's true! My dad said so :smug:

haha and pray tell, what would be the stalker kill count for 8 commando?

Also do free weekends usually start on fridays?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Idiot race posted:

That's completely the wrong gun with the grenade launcher. I'm pretty sure it's just a normal m4 with a grenade launcher from that barrel profile. Not an LR-300, which is seen more in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. than anywhere else (including real life).

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

Revitalized posted:

haha and pray tell, what would be the stalker kill count for 8 commando?

All of them :unsmigghh:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

M-16 should be the new medic weapon. Fires healing grenades because why the gently caress not.

gently caress you, Demo needs a gun that can fire actual bullets. :colbert:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

seen more in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. than anywhere else (including real life).

It's a video game. This is not an obstacle.

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

Been playing on a server with the LFW(?) mod weapons that are whitelisted

If it's Euro, do you happen to have an IP?

Revitalized posted:

Also do free weekends usually start on fridays?

Thursday, hence the 8th.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

new thread owns, new guns own, miss this game :smith:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Idiot race posted:

So that thing at the bottom probably is the husk arm thing.

I think this is the most likely outcome, but because I want it to be a minigun I will point out that in said photoshop they merely stapled a ppsh barrel on the top of whatever's there.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's a video game. This is not an obstacle.
Sure, but the front sight and barrel look nothing like the LR300. Seriously, look at the two images.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

To be honest I'm actually expecting a DAO-12 and minigun from that bottom right part of the image.

DAO-12 for reference:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

:siren:ONLY ONE MORE TO GO:siren:

Nothing too surprising. Hopefully TWI will be bros and release the last image today too.

Fingers still crossed for a minigun :pray:

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 5, 2011

Vakal
May 11, 2008
All these weapons won't be available to the player, and instead will be strapped to the patriarch.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
The weapons will be in crates that cannot be opened without purchasing a key

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Vakal posted:

All these weapons won't be available to the player, and instead will be strapped to the patriarch.

Chest penis is transformed into a claymore :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Any news on when these guns will be in the game?

• Locked thread