Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

freeforumuser posted:

Firebug is without doubt the worst class for pretty much everything not just suicidal/HOE, followed by a looooooong shot by Commando as 2nd worst which is basically a more powerful firebug except it actually kills small zeds fast enough and without screwing with everyone's aim.

Firebug is considerably better at killing trash than any commando. He has bigger clips and full penetration for his range, meaning he hurts quite a few mobs at once instead of one at a time like the commando.

I also play a sharpshooter, and firebug doesn't really bother me. Demolitions is a lot worse as far as aim-screwing goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

Thoughtless posted:

Firebug is considerably better at killing trash than any commando. He has bigger clips and full penetration for his range, meaning he hurts quite a few mobs at once instead of one at a time like the commando.

I also play a sharpshooter, and firebug doesn't really bother me. Demolitions is a lot worse as far as aim-screwing goes.

This is exactly how I feel. At least on hard, the ability to kill a constant stream of enemies is important and the firebug is good at it.

In regards to the demo I agree there too, but I feel it is a symptom of a person playing demo who should not be playing demo. Actually a good strategy (in my eyes) for both the demo and firebug is to engage stuff far away, a well aimed puff with the flamethrower or grenade can kill a group of enemies long before they are an issue, but when you start unloading at things close up you block the oncoming specimens from view making them extremely hard to kill.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

Thoughtless posted:

Ultimately both classes fulfil the same roles and neither class is clearly better than the other, they simply have different strengths and weaknesses which mean the deciding factor is personal preference more than anything.

While the firebug is probably the more effective trash mob killer he really suffers on higher difficulties due to his low ammo supply. You are pretty useless when the small amount of flame-thrower fuel you can carry has run out and you are reduced to only the mac-10, which has a pretty mediocre ammo supply itself. This is particularly true if the team is camping one spot and there are no ammo boxes nearby. The flame-thrower also takes an eternity to reload, at least at lower levels. The commando on the other hand can deal with the trash less effectively but he can keep firing all day, as he gets reload speed bonuses and can carry so much ammo it is rarely an issue.

You can also see health bars through smoke as a commando, so you at least know where to fire when your vision is obscured by a (bad) demo.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Hey guys, does anyone know how to install the custom maps on a Mac? (Outside of downloading them at slow as a glacier speeds in KF itself, of course.)

Nubcakes
Jan 11, 2009

If it isn't broken...
Take it apart and improve it!
Bottom line is: Learn how to play a perk well before running into a suicidal or HoE server and you'll be fine.

One could easily argue that berzerker/medic are the end-all-be-all perks in KF and that all other perks are useless and therefore; should never be played. Look into most HoE servers and those are almost the only two perks ever played it seems.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

NuclearPotato posted:

Hey guys, does anyone know how to install the custom maps on a Mac? (Outside of downloading them at slow as a glacier speeds in KF itself, of course.)

It should be the same as a Windows install procedure:
Find the maps online (Use the link in the OP)
Download the .zip/.rar/.7z archives.
Extract them to an easy to find location.
Copy/Move them over into your KF folder in the Maps folder.
If there's texture files or other files, make sure you put them in there otherwise risk downloading the missing files at slow speeds.

I believe the correct pathway for installing on Macs should be
code:
user/[Your Username]/library/application support/steam/steamapps/common/killing floor/Maps
Replacing Maps with Textures, StaticMeshes, System, or Music as needed.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Scyantific posted:

Really helpful stuff.

Thanks!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

NuclearPotato posted:

Thanks!

No problem. I'll be sticking that info up into the OP as well.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

Pumpking posted:

You can also see health bars through smoke as a commando, so you at least know where to fire when your vision is obscured by a (bad) demo.

I had a good time the other day when I was commando and my friend was a firebug, we got ourselves in a bad spot and the end result was me spraying ammo at health bars in a raging inferno. It might not have been effective but it was rather fun.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
That's my favorite thing about being a commando, spraying ammo at health bars that only you can see. :smugdog:

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames
My Favorite thing about going Commando is not wearing underwear.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
Only dual-wielding (2x of each pistol): Not that effective, but fun as hell.

.44 glitching to also carry a Crossbow? Fun and effective.

P.S. When you get hurt, please fall back and stay (somewhat) still until you get healed. It's hard to dart someone jumping all over the place. Even more so because my fps is low.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

As long as you don't do stupid things that should be fine. Stick closer to the group than usual until you get used to the differences in zed behavior. We only hate it when lower levels join harder games when they die immediately and leave all those extra zeds for us.

Yeah hard basically makes having a good coordinated team even more important since more monsters and more damage means there's not much room for error.

Losses become even more painful since losing firepower due to stupid mistakes makes surviving much harder since even with a good team your ammo supply will really get chewed up on Hard/Nightmare.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Cowwan posted:

I had a good time the other day when I was commando and my friend was a firebug, we got ourselves in a bad spot and the end result was me spraying ammo at health bars in a raging inferno. It might not have been effective but it was rather fun.

I don't know why so many people cry about fire and smoke obscuring everything. On the harder levels you just keep firing - there's ALWAYS something in there. And if the sharpies can't hit an FP in the head at point-blank range, then he's no sharpshooter :colbert:

But more seriously, your camping spot needs a back wall that the demo can hit. Splash hurts the zeds and the smoke doesn't obscure anything.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Thoughtless posted:

Incorrect, the flamer doesn't have any penetration what so ever. The projectile has an area of effect, that's what let you hit several specimens at once.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Just got back from GotKF. That perks glitch I complained about earlier is back again, and its brought a friend along with it. Basically, not only do my perks show up as zero, but the pause menu where you switch the perks out has disappeared as well.

Also, can we get a full list of what maps are on each server, and post it in the OP?

Country_Blumpkin
Aug 6, 2011

Polka_Rapper posted:

Only dual-wielding (2x of each pistol): Not that effective, but fun as hell.

.44 glitching to also carry a Crossbow? Fun and effective.

P.S. When you get hurt, please fall back and stay (somewhat) still until you get healed. It's hard to dart someone jumping all over the place. Even more so because my fps is low.

How do you do that glitch?

And thanks for pointing that out about healing. I think its hard to keep this in mind for a lot of people in the heat of the moment, but I'm sick of getting bitched at by dead pubbies on other servers because I didn't heal them when they ran off on their own as a Zerk.

I've been working on heal-sniping with the MP5 though, its not too hard to get the hang of.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Snoop Rocket posted:

How do you do that glitch?

Great Beer posted:

Buy Dual .44 Magnums
Sell one of the Magnums
Repeat as necessary

Every time you sell the second magnum it gives you 2 extra space.

Giving credit to the person I got it from.

Snoop Rocket posted:

And thanks for pointing that out about healing. I think its hard to keep this in mind for a lot of people in the heat of the moment, but I'm sick of getting bitched at by dead pubbies on other servers because I didn't heal them when they ran off on their own as a Zerk.

I've been working on heal-sniping with the MP5 though, its not too hard to get the hang of.
Half of the time I don't even notice my health level, so I understand people running around bleeding. It's when they are calling for medic over and over and not trying to help me out by letting me heal them that I get upset. I forget who it was, but on GotKF, there was someone who would call for medic and stand still until I darted them (you're awesome).

As for heal-sniping, I can hit a hip-fire dart 90% of the time at almost any distance. :smug:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Just had a good game on GotKF, and I showed people the dark secrets of BellTolls (Not really, it was just a map exploit :v:). Basically there's a few areas in this map that allow you to get past the borders and jump to new places. Here we were all above on the roofs overlooking the main area. Made killing everything hilariously easy.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Jesus, a loving 25 meg download is taking loving forever. This ganja farm better be good, I'm in a rush here

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Jesus, a loving 25 meg download is taking loving forever. This ganja farm better be good, I'm in a rush here

If it's on the Unreal engine, don't ever to an in-game download. They're all like that.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Download it from the OP and throw it into your maps folder, done

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

bbcisdabomb posted:

If it's on the Unreal engine, don't ever to an in-game download. They're all like that.

Not if you use a redirect and have the maps hosted elsewhere, as detailed in part 6 of this post.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

If any goons are interested, I'll put a PW on Best Friend City and bump it back to Hard for the evening :shobon:

edit: done. password is GoonXmas

alg fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 18, 2011

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
I am a pretty bad Berserker. Unrelated to that, Skatepark is great.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Scyantific posted:

Just had a good game on GotKF, and I showed people the dark secrets of BellTolls (Not really, it was just a map exploit :v:). Basically there's a few areas in this map that allow you to get past the borders and jump to new places. Here we were all above on the roofs overlooking the main area. Made killing everything hilariously easy.

There was a bug in one of the first versions of West London where you could get the PD gate to close on you and shove you upwards rather than sideways, so you could just chill out over the wall sniping Banshees and enjoying the weather.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ZearothK posted:

There was a bug in one of the first versions of West London where you could get the PD gate to close on you and shove you upwards rather than sideways, so you could just chill out over the wall sniping Banshees and enjoying the weather.

I dont know if its fixed (its been a long time) but in BioticsLab you could crouch behind one of the beds and all zeds would just walk around without trying to reach you. That tactic is not viable anymore because of Husks alone, but was hilarious and was nice to grind weapon damage by being a low level playing in hard.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Bad rear end Boutique posted:

Not if you use a redirect and have the maps hosted elsewhere, as detailed in part 6 of this post.

I've never actually ran a non-LAN server, so that's actually pretty interesting!

It's a little weird, though. Half-Life and Source engine games download so much faster than UT games it's stupid.

unkle77
Sep 9, 2009

Please prepare me one of these... Chocolate Egg Creams.

Polka_Rapper posted:

I am a pretty bad Berserker. Unrelated to that, Skatepark is great.

A bad beserker? Or a BAAAAAD beserker?

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

unkle77 posted:

A bad beserker? Or a BAAAAAD beserker?

The kind that dies almost every round and fails to stun Scrakes.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Don't feel bad. I'm terrible at beserker too. I probably just need practice. Can't quite get the timing down.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

Yeah hard basically makes having a good coordinated team even more important since more monsters and more damage means there's not much room for error.

Losses become even more painful since losing firepower due to stupid mistakes makes surviving much harder since even with a good team your ammo supply will really get chewed up on Hard/Nightmare.

I think one of the biggest changes when you go up in difficulty is that your viable options for survival go way down. On Normal you can run off in groups of 2 or 3 and for the most part be OK as long as everybody is decent at their class. Try that on Hard and you'll probably wipe, at best you'll make it to wave 6 or 7 when Scrakes and FPs show up.

One of the best Demo spots is in biohazard, in that Trader room with the 4 couches. You can weld the doors on each side and leave the middle one open and EVERYTHING will come through there. A Demo can stand up on top of the back couch and shoot grenades right out the doorway. I've topped the scoreboard like that before which is unusual for a Demo.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
I have about 12 hours logged from playing with one of my buddies who bought me the game, on Beginner. I'm new to PC gaming and not particularly good (not to say I was great at console games either). I'm interested in getting into the game for real with the new update, though. Should I just jump onto a Goon server sometime and hope I don't embarrass myself too badly?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

The Fucky posted:

I have about 12 hours logged from playing with one of my buddies who bought me the game, on Beginner. I'm new to PC gaming and not particularly good (not to say I was great at console games either). I'm interested in getting into the game for real with the new update, though. Should I just jump onto a Goon server sometime and hope I don't embarrass myself too badly?

I bought this game during the Turkey Day Sale and was generally pubbing it until recently. I find it MUCH easier to get a consistently good game with the goons and they are very tolerant of total wastes of a slot like myself.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

What's the name/IP of the Goon server?

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

What's the name/IP of the Goon server?

They are all in the OP.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

That was a fun round in the gas station on GotKF, guys. Jumping off the roof to chase the patriarch and kill him, hell yeah.

Pointless Adornment
Apr 9, 2005

~* snail krew *~
I wish I could post this a million times, especially with the resurgence of KF's popularity: If you see someone, especially a Berserker or Medic on higher difficulties, hitting a Fleshpound with a fireaxe-- for the love of god DO NOT SHOOT AT IT, LET THEM HANDLE IT.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Pointless Adornment posted:

I wish I could post this a million times, especially with the resurgence of KF's popularity: If you see someone, especially a Berserker or Medic on higher difficulties, hitting a Fleshpound with a fireaxe-- for the love of god DO NOT SHOOT AT IT, LET THEM HANDLE IT.

Yeah, I'd like to second this notion as well. Berserkers/Medics who are kiting FPs with an axe know what they are doing, as well as sharpshooters who are taking potshots at their heads every now and then. Rapidly unloading your clips/grenades on them is a good way to piss off the fleshpound as well as the player who was kiting them.

So once again, (And I'm putting this in the OP as well) don't piss off the fleshpounds/scrakes if you've got a berserker/medic/sharpshooter who are kiting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Country_Blumpkin
Aug 6, 2011

The Fucky posted:

You'll be fine, I've seen plenty of new guys on and everyone has been polite and helpful.

I would recommend starting with Goons on the Killing Floor (GotKF) though, since its on normal and as a beginner you will be demolished and generally not very helpful to the team on harder difficulties. Once you rank up a bit, go from there.

• Locked thread