Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
i have to have that gccx token game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I wish I got a chance to play Space Invaders CX. The UFO noise was loving hilarious.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Zeether posted:

I wish I got a chance to play Space Invaders CX. The UFO noise was loving hilarious.

is there not a rom of it?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Sir Tonk posted:

is there not a rom of it?
Likely not. It was a very very limited arcade run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aYXKdkAw3o

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

It's kind of sad hearing that Inoko MAX was/is apparently kind of a dick, because I love that guy on GCCX. He's probably my favorite AD out of the bunch.

Personally, I think intent factors into being a dick. Inoue strikes me as more of a screw-up who tries to be better when confronted with it.

The Asakusa Hanayashiki event was cancelled, but the merchandise is on sale now. I got a water bottle.

https://imgur.com/a/1nvufbH

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I'd go for a couple of drinks with Oosuka and Kaga.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Just posting to say the cardfrek twitch channel is a godsend and I've been filling tons of my free time with it the past week

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
Yeah, it fills a lot of my isolation-fueled depression zone out time.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I broke my foot a few months ago and had to move in with my folks while I healed. I'm ready to move back into my place soon, knock on particle board, but the GCCX stream has been great because, if nothing else, it's in Japanese - so I don't have to worry about a streamer dropping an f-bomb while my little sister walks past. Or worse, my dad.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

More than once, during Arino's arcade trips, he's played a game about unifying Japan that uses a light-up board for the provinces and has two spinning reels that you have to stop to make your move (one being a number of spaces, the other being a character that modifies that number). Does anyone know what that game is called, or at the very least an episode it appeared in?

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

More than once, during Arino's arcade trips, he's played a game about unifying Japan that uses a light-up board for the provinces and has two spinning reels that you have to stop to make your move (one being a number of spaces, the other being a character that modifies that number). Does anyone know what that game is called, or at the very least an episode it appeared in?

I can't remember an episode he plays it in offhand, but you're referring to Kuni Tori Gassen (国盗り合戦), right?

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%9B%BD%E7%9B%97%E3%82%8A%E5%90%88%E6%88%A6

(If I'm right, well dammit, I didn't even need a Google search to get it, send help to my wife and son.)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Kakaricho posted:

I can't remember an episode he plays it in offhand, but you're referring to Kuni Tori Gassen (国盗り合戦), right?

That's the one! Thank you much! And I'm sorry for your wife's loss.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

That's the one! Thank you much! And I'm sorry for your wife's loss.

Poor lady, married to a guy who can remember vintage arcade games from not his childhood at the drop of a hat.

(I tracked down one of the apparent two games she played as a kid based on much vaguer clues, so maybe I have some redeeming qualities.)

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 4, 2020

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I can chime in and help you by remembering off-hand an episode he plays it it: Donkey Kong Country part 1, in the shop with the invader shaped okonomiyaki.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

TeaJay posted:

I can chime in and help you by remembering off-hand an episode he plays it it: Donkey Kong Country part 1, in the shop with the invader shaped okonomiyaki.

I love and fear the human search engine at the same time.
That shop closed, the owner went to China, if I recall correctly.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I really want that ten yen game book, but I only ever see it for fifty and up.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Ambitious Spider posted:

I really want that ten yen game book, but I only ever see it for fifty and up.

This one?

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4777814890/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Would it be possible to reupload the episodes to Mega? All of the direct links on the site are dead.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN

Jubs posted:

Would it be possible to reupload the episodes to Mega? All of the direct links on the site are dead.

theres a fairly large and complete new torrent on the same site where most new episodes get posted, that's about all I can say

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
YuP I’ll look into it when not on my phone. thanks!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tatsujin posted:

theres a fairly large and complete new torrent on the same site where most new episodes get posted, that's about all I can say

er, isn't it okay to link to fansubbed stuff on SA? or is it non-kosher since that batch torrent also has the DVD episodes?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

If it has licensed material, then it can't be linked.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
that shikoku episode was extremely fun

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

If it has licensed material, then it can't be linked.

Yeah, and as much as I want to say 'buy the DVD,' my own copy has about doubled in value at this point due to rarity. Just trying to be diplomatic.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
It's a shame they couldn't license more episodes in North America. The DVD set was like 8 years ago, and during that time, how many people fell in love with the show?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Cemetry Gator posted:

It's a shame they couldn't license more episodes in North America. The DVD set was like 8 years ago, and during that time, how many people fell in love with the show?

Oh my god I'm old.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Holy poo poo it was that long ago?

I remember the producer or whoever even showed up here and said it was successful, I wonder why they never followed it up.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Holy poo poo it was that long ago?

I remember the producer or whoever even showed up here and said it was successful, I wonder why they never followed it up.

Could just be as simple as it being easier to get everything through when KOTAK was doing all the heavy lifting.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 11, 2020

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
Just finished watching the Hammerin' Harry episode, and it appears that this is the first one shot during the pandemic. Any specific highlights that tie into the Pandemic? It looks like Arino was by himself during the taping, but you could hear people maybe outside the conference room? Did Abe even show up at all?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

cubeboy posted:

Just finished watching the Hammerin' Harry episode, and it appears that this is the first one shot during the pandemic. Any specific highlights that tie into the Pandemic? It looks like Arino was by himself during the taping, but you could hear people maybe outside the conference room? Did Abe even show up at all?

Not sure if it counts as a spoiler but no he was alone in the room, they just used fixed cameras. Staff were monitoring from a separate room. They deliberately chose a short and easy game to "limit exposure" for Arino, which I assumed means that they planned on shooting several episodes back-to-back to limit the number of days he needs to come in for recording the challenges.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I'm not sure how I feel about GCCX continuing during the pandemic. My favorite bits of the show are pretty much everything but the bits where he's just sitting there, working on beating a game; if he can't safely interact with staff or go to a game corner, I kinda want him to do something else with his life.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

But that's his job and if he wants to do it, he should? Though granted, there's a video of Yoiko playing the new Paper Mario on the Switch (it's under "news" if you have an account with access to the Japanese eshop) and they've got a sheet of plexyglass hung between them, that was kinda bizarre to see.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Katana Gomai posted:

But that's his job and if he wants to do it, he should?

I'm not saying he can't, or even that he shouldn't. What I am saying is that he shouldn't risk his health for my entertainment, and if doing that means getting rid of the parts of the show I like, I, personally, would rather it go on a hiatus for a bit. We'll see how things actually turn out.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

That's fair. I've been reading up on the situation in Tokyo a bit and I suppose you could make a case for him staying home.

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN
He's not at a lot of risk. Japan has been extremely effective at managing the coronavirus.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Dr. Furious posted:

He's not at a lot of risk. Japan has been extremely effective at managing the coronavirus.

Do you live in Japan?

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Dr. Furious posted:

Compared to the US of course, yes. Compared to neighborhing nations lol noooooo

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Mister Chief posted:

Do you live in Japan?

My uncle is Japan

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
i've got an uncle who works at japan, i got to see sumo wrestling 2 at his house, it has rocket boots. i can't show you it though or else he'll get in trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about GCCX continuing during the pandemic. My favorite bits of the show are pretty much everything but the bits where he's just sitting there, working on beating a game; if he can't safely interact with staff or go to a game corner, I kinda want him to do something else with his life.

A lot of shows are on re-reuns, and there are lots of dramas being re-aired as well. If the staff thinks they can clap safely from a different room, I say let the show go on (the visits will likely be cut, just my opinion.)

Katana Gomai posted:

and they've got a sheet of plexyglass hung between them, that was kinda bizarre to see.

Those are at every store here as well.

Dr. Furious posted:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Opinion/Japan-s-coronavirus-response-is-flawed-but-it-works

Mind you, we're clearly on the start of a second wave.

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 19, 2020