Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Any chance the Earthworm Jim episode be the next translated? I'd love to hear their thoughts on 90's American humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GooseCanyon
Aug 25, 2019

We get asked about it a lot. We're sorry to say that we don't have any plans to do the Earthworm Jim episode. None of our group members are fans of the game at all, and we would rather work on episodes that catch our interest.

GooseCanyon fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 3, 2020

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

That's fine by me, I'm perfectly happy to keep anything associated with Doug TenNapel completely separate from something as wholesome as GCCX

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Jubs posted:

Any chance the Earthworm Jim episode be the next translated? I'd love to hear their thoughts on 90's American humor.

If memory serves it's about what you'd expect, which is to say Arino doesn't understand it at all.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fawf posted:

That's fine by me, I'm perfectly happy to keep anything associated with Doug TenNapel completely separate from something as wholesome as GCCX

For what it's worth, TenNapel was not actually anywhere near as involved with EWJ as he'd like you to think, and basically everything about the game aside from the character designs was Dave Perry's baby. Dave Perry seems like a comparatively okay dude.

e: oh, what the gently caress, TenNapel got the rights to the IP back and is currently doing EWJ stuff in 2020. nevermind, gently caress that franchise.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

For what it's worth, TenNapel was not actually anywhere near as involved with EWJ as he'd like you to think, and basically everything about the game aside from the character designs was Dave Perry's baby. Dave Perry seems like a comparatively okay dude.

e: oh, what the gently caress, TenNapel got the rights to the IP back and is currently doing EWJ stuff in 2020. nevermind, gently caress that franchise.

Once people heard he wanted EWJ to be a thing again, though, there was a concerted effort to make EWJ into a trans iconic.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Aren't worms hermaphrodites? So, sure.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

For me personally, Earthworm Jim should just stay in the 90s and be forgotten, along with Boogerman and all the other "crass" dumb poo poo we used to play.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
EWJ wasn't really crass other than Snot/Major Mucus. Certainly not on the level of Boogerman.

Granted, Binding of Isaac has that entire aesthetic in spades so uh..hm.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

EWJ was fun and good, but, meh, there are many better games not (yet) affiliated with shitheads. Plus it was good in a way which tons of games have since improved upon, so certainly requires nostalgia to care about particularly today.

GooseCanyon
Aug 25, 2019

Game Center CX 283 - Athena [GooseCanyon]
Translation: Phosphorescent Skeleton
Proofreading: Kuishinbou
Subtitles: SpecsPL, Clov
Special Thanks: Bean

As well, special thanks to our guest subtitler SpecsPL, who provided us with the vast majority of the timing and typesetting for the episode! Expect to see more from them in the future!

But first, part 7 of our eye-opening look at… the bikini!
https://nyaa.si/view/1272798

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

GooseCanyon posted:

As well, special thanks to our guest subtitler SpecsPL, who provided us with the vast majority of the timing and typesetting for the episode! Expect to see more from them in the future!

Thanks so much to everyone involved!

FanofPortals
Sep 22, 2006

BILL FILLMAFF'S GREATEST DISAPPOINTMENT

GooseCanyon posted:

Thank you for the late night release. I salute all goose-kind now and forever.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I'm watching it right now, but... was 'big-boned game' a joke about Athena having a bit of chub, and if so, was it in the original or on the part of the translator?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm watching it right now, but... was 'big-boned game' a joke about Athena having a bit of chub, and if so, was it in the original or on the part of the translator?

They made several quips about Athena's THICCness in the start, so I guess why not? It was Kan dialogue, after all.

Thanks for the release! Can't wait to see how Arino deals with the legendary crapgame.

e: I feel like "Heisei era" could've used a translator note or an explanation, even though I had a ballpark estimate when it was, not all are probably experts on japanese eras

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 19, 2020

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

GooseCanyon posted:

Thank you all for the great work :pgabz:

GooseCanyon
Aug 25, 2019

FredMSloniker posted:

It was in the original. The Japanese term for it is essentially the same (骨太 honebuto, basically large or fat bones). He's referring to how she's drawn on the box. We weren't huge fans of the joke, but that's just how Arino is sometimes.

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Big thanks for the new release!

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Got something to watch tonight. Big thanks!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

GooseCanyon posted:

Well I learned something new about SaGa/FFL tonight, so that's cool!

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

GooseCanyon posted:

Arigatou gozaimasu gooseman

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

That segment really makes SaGa sound extremely cool

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Help Im Alive posted:

That segment really makes SaGa sound extremely cool

SaGa is extremely cool, albeit esoteric as all hell and made by an absolute gonzo of a game designer. It gets even wilder when you know the specifics of the trick Kibe was talking about in this episode: you can use a chainsaw on God, who is the final boss, and instantly kill him.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Thanks all.

What game does this remind me of? Another NES gem with a female protagonist. I think she wore a bikini on the box or something.

EDIT: No, it was Athena. Wasn't this subbed before or am I going crazy?

Mister Chief fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 20, 2020

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Are you thinking of The Wing of Madoola?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Solarin posted:

Are you thinking of The Wing of Madoola?

Maybe, or maybe someone posted info about Athena when the original episode aired.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
i could have sworn this episode was done before also but I dunno

dunno what I'm thinkin of

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

Mister Chief posted:

Thanks all.

What game does this remind me of? Another NES gem with a female protagonist. I think she wore a bikini on the box or something.

EDIT: No, it was Athena. Wasn't this subbed before or am I going crazy?

Probably Layla, a famicom-only game with female protag, although I guess there's been a few now.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

skull wall posted:

Probably Layla, a famicom-only game with female protag, although I guess there's been a few now.

Yeah I think that was it.

Although bikini clad heroines was apparently a thing in the Famicom era.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

skull wall posted:

Probably Layla

https://www.sa-gccx.com/episode/layla

Man, that was seven years ago.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Yeah, I also thought I had seen this one before until it actually showed gameplay.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Mister Chief posted:

Yeah I think that was it.

Although bikini clad heroines was apparently a thing in the Famicom era.

Altiana from Space Hunter?

deadmoonnight
Aug 6, 2019
goosecanyon, in the SaGa segment, there's mention of a "geezer girl" trend, and i am extremely curious what that is. google search only yields what you might expect.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I looked that up cause it sounded weird. So according to google it was a buzzword for a trend in the bubble era in Japan, the trend being working women behaving in ways that were typically associated with older working men. So, according to the sites I'm looking at, this means things like standing at the train station after work eating noodles, reading sports magazines on the train, and those sorts of things.

Apparently the prototype of the trend was the character Non Oyamada from the manga Sweet Spot:

Here she's gulping down noodles, following along with some sort of sports (I don't know what, maybe a horse race or something?), and reading the newspaper. In the last panel she's saying "Ah - I'm a total geezer."

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Casey Finnigan posted:

I looked that up cause it sounded weird. So according to google it was a buzzword for a trend in the bubble era in Japan, the trend being working women behaving in ways that were typically associated with older working men. So, according to the sites I'm looking at, this means things like standing at the train station after work eating noodles, reading sports magazines on the train, and those sorts of things.

Apparently the prototype of the trend was the character Non Oyamada from the manga Sweet Spot:

Here she's gulping down noodles, following along with some sort of sports (I don't know what, maybe a horse race or something?), and reading the newspaper. In the last panel she's saying "Ah - I'm a total geezer."

It says 競馬新聞 which is horse racing.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Arino and Hamaguchi are currently running a 12-hour livestream competing in mini-challenges submitted by people amongst other things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMXx9l7nCs0

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Kanfy posted:

Arino and Hamaguchi are currently running a 12-hour livestream competing in mini-challenges submitted by people amongst other things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMXx9l7nCs0
Finally around to catch one of these. Haven't had any luck finding RAWs of all of these little livestream and similar things.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

cubeboy posted:

Finally around to catch one of these. Haven't had any luck finding RAWs of all of these little livestream and similar things.

All the streams Yoiko has done on that channel (which is approaching 200 at this point even though they only started in May last year) are archived on there so they're easy to find at least.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Part 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKo_5TqfnpM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I got round to watching Athena. That's some nostalgic unfairness.