Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
It's a veritable deluge of releases! Thanks a lot for your efforts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Having Castlevania and Resident Evil videos in October is much appreciated. Sincere thanks to everyone involved.

Watching this made me realize the cheesy English voice acting was a complete non-issue for folks in Japan. Which is odd because it seems like everyone feels obligated to touch on that first when they talk about RE1. Seems like everyone in the English speaking world treats it like a funny B-movie but maybe Capcom really was trying to be scary.

WesY2K
Mar 26, 2013
What a great month for GCCX fans!

Thank you so much, you awesome geese!

PlanetFlavor
Apr 15, 2019

GooseCanyon posted:

Game Center CX DVD Challenge - Resident Evil: Director's Cut [GooseCanyon]
Translation: IkuharaFan
Proofreading: Kuishinbou
Subtitles: SpecsPL
Special Thanks: Bean, Sino

An extra special thanks to our guest translator, IkuharaFan, who worked hard for months to make sure we had a great finale to our Halloween releases! Thank you to SpecsPL, who timed and typeset this entire episode. And one last thank you to Sino of MoyaiSubs, who provided IkuharaFan with assistance. Without you, this episode would not have been possible. Sincere thanks from all of the geese down at GooseCanyon!

To the book depository!

https://nyaa.si/view/1294815

Does Pooyan count as a Halloween themed release? I ask so I can hold out hope for next year... All glory to the geese!

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Seventeen years ago today (November 4th), Game Center CX aired it's first episode. Here's to another seventeen years!

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
They've been going for that long?! I'd have guessed maybe ten or so.

Happy birthday GCCX!

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
It has definitely been one of my favorite shows for over a decade. Huge thanks to the fan translation folks for keeping it alive outside of Japan as well!

WesY2K
Mar 26, 2013
Already 17 years of the world's most famous Let's Play Pioneer!

To a lot more years!

And to everyone a big toast who made it possible for us non-japanese-speaking persons to understand and enjoy that show! CHEERS!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

17?? Here I thought it was 12 at most.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for all your great work throughout the years, gccx and the translation crews.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
Might need to find a new tracker for GCCX releases. Apparently, Nyaa is being targeted by the MPA.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TapamN posted:

Might need to find a new tracker for GCCX releases. Apparently, Nyaa is being targeted by the MPA.

Yeah in the most inept way possible. I wouldn't worry much considering they mostly sent the requests to fansubbers who have no control over nyaa at all.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

17?? Here I thought it was 12 at most.

Arino commented along the lines of "My first daughter was born a bit after the show started, now she's almost in high school. Time flies!"

GooseCanyon
Aug 25, 2019

Game Center CX 299 - The House of the Dead [GooseCanyon]

Translation: Kuishinbou
Proofreading: Phosphorescent Skeleton
Subtitles: SpecsPL, VixyNyan
Special Thanks: Bean

This translation is based off the previous release of this episode. We have corrected numerous translation errors, translated missing lines, and revised much of the dialogue.

“Arino, did you barricade the doors?”

“Why? Oh, the zombies. No.”

https://nyaa.si/view/1302250

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Cheerio, much appreciated!

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Great episode, took me back to playing the arcade version in college. I wasted lord knows how much money playing through the whole game with both guns just to have the thrill of dual wielding. Perhaps the memory was worth it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

GooseCanyon posted:

Game Center CX 299 - The House of the Dead [GooseCanyon]

Translation: Kuishinbou
Proofreading: Phosphorescent Skeleton
Subtitles: SpecsPL, VixyNyan
Special Thanks: Bean

This translation is based off the previous release of this episode. We have corrected numerous translation errors, translated missing lines, and revised much of the dialogue.

Thanks for your work.

However, I dunno how much you used this previous release as a base, but wouldn't it be fair to mention what this release was and give credit if you used some of their translations? Unless you did the whole translation from scratch, that is.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

TeaJay posted:

Thanks for your work.

However, I dunno how much you used this previous release as a base, but wouldn't it be fair to mention what this release was and give credit if you used some of their translations? Unless you did the whole translation from scratch, that is.

IIRC, there's someone translating GCCX that is basically a racist/homophobic channer-type, so if the geese were improving on one of his releases (which I seem to remember being described as subpar and full of out-of-context edgelord stuff), I can totally understand their not wanting to even mention his name.

PlanetFlavor
Apr 15, 2019

Pastry of the Year posted:

IIRC, there's someone translating GCCX that is basically a racist/homophobic channer-type, so if the geese were improving on one of his releases (which I seem to remember being described as subpar and full of out-of-context edgelord stuff), I can totally understand their not wanting to even mention his name.

I don't know anything about Zombie_Kabuto's other contributions to the dumpster fire we call the internet; but I can tell you that their House of the Dead episode was /great/ and even has some choices I enjoyed more than SA-GCCX/GooseCanyon approach (italicizing foreign words and translation of text boxes for example). Accuracy/intention seemed just fine to someone who understands Japanese on a C- 101 level and there was no 4chanigans that hit my radar.

We can debate art from the artist kind of stuff, but if GooseCanyon used any of the translation, tradition and manners should dictate that the OG get some credit.

More GCCX in more places I say, so long as the work is up to snuff. I appreciate everyone's efforts to keep the translation train going!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I actually kinda don't like the italicization because I kept on thinking that the narrator was being really snide lol. Arino couldn't even beat the level, etc

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Alxprit posted:

I actually kinda don't like the italicization because I kept on thinking that the narrator was being really snide lol. Arino couldn't even beat the level, etc

Yeah, the italicization makes absolutely no sense to me. It's sometimes considered good form to italicize words you're leaving untranslated ("I hope senpai notices me!") but it's like they understood it backwards, so instead they're italicizing all English-to-Japanese loanwords ("He defeated the boss character!") for no reason at all. It's distracting and weird.

I'll also say that if you're adding swear words to a show children would watch, you're probably missing the writing voice you're supposed to go for!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i think it's mostly meant as a comprehension aid so that, for example, with the "Arino can't even beat the level" example

to a non-japanese-speaker, the narrator is going to sound like he's going "ARGLEBARGLE BEAT THE LEVEL" basically

keeping the english exclamation in there and italicizing it makes it a little more obvious what exactly just happened and what the context for the random english was

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I actually never got around to watching the previous translation of HotD, so I just deleted it and switched to Goose's because I know their translations are always legit. Thanks!

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

PlanetFlavor posted:

I don't know anything about Zombie_Kabuto's other contributions to the dumpster fire we call the internet;
This is where I stopped reading, because your opinion is irrelevant if you don't even have all the facts.

Thanks again, Goose.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

xamphear posted:

This is where I stopped reading, because your opinion is irrelevant if you don't even have all the facts.

do you? because this is sort of a dick thing to say when everyone who does seem to know what is going on is either going off semi-distant memory or being deliberately vague

and also, the post you're responding to was specifically talking about the quality of the translation. it seems that the problem is that the guy is a dickhead, not a bad translator, so not knowing about him being a dickhead doesn't seem super relevant :confused:

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

i think it's mostly meant as a comprehension aid so that, for example, with the "Arino can't even beat the level" example

to a non-japanese-speaker, the narrator is going to sound like he's going "ARGLEBARGLE BEAT THE LEVEL" basically

keeping the english exclamation in there and italicizing it makes it a little more obvious what exactly just happened and what the context for the random english was

It's not just random exclamations, though, it's EVERY SINGLE english loan word, no matter how banal. I got these just by randomly clicking through the first few minutes of the video:

Ah, yes, I needed those as comprehension aids, because otherwise it would be confusing that Arino said the words "cameraman", "game" and... a character's name? What?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I am just thankful there are people that are kind enough to take the time to localize and subtitle this show...

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Lifespan posted:

I am just thankful there are people that are kind enough to take the time to localize and subtitle this show...

Yeah, I won't deny that it's a bit of looking a gift horse in the mouth on my part. Still, I'm extra glad that GooseCanyon took the time to brush the horse's teeth!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Lifespan posted:

Same.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Fred is on posted:

Yeah, I won't deny that it's a bit of looking a gift horse in the mouth on my part. Still, I'm extra glad that GooseCanyon took the time to brush the horse's teeth!

I don't think it's wrong to criticize, or provide critical feedback.

Stuff like that does make the show harder to watch, especially since given the topic, there's a ton of loan words. It's possible to be thankful and critical.

Like, my friend cooked me dinner. I am thankful for that sweet gesture.

My friend also severely undercooked the chicken. I am critical of the attempted food poisoning.

WesY2K
Mar 26, 2013
So many new posts and it is not about a newly released episode... makes me kinda sad xD

But as always I am grateful for all things GCCX!

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Tsuyoshi Kan, producer of Game Center CX, has been shot and killed.

http://imgur.com/gallery/2CVALL4

Can YOU find the culprit?

In place of the yearly DVD-Boxset event, starting December 18th, a murder mystery video will be on the official fanclub site. Non-members can also view it.

Members can submit their guess as to who the culprit is until January 17th, and can view a video of their ending from February 3rd.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

My heart leapt into my drat throat when I read that first line, you bastard :xd:

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

NuclearPotato posted:

My heart leapt into my drat throat when I read that first line, you bastard :xd:

I avoided linking the joke of a Photoshop picture thinking about that.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

NuclearPotato posted:

Same here. It's 2020 I have been conditioned to expect the worst.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Nemo2342 posted:

Same here. It's 2020 I have been conditioned to expect the worst.

+1. I gasped because gently caress this year.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah..you got me with that one too :argh:

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

NuclearPotato posted:

Yeah, not gonna lie, my blood ran cold with how 2020 has been.

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
I'll admit that my heart initially sunk as well, then I got confused from the flippant continuation, and then it clicked :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Was also shocked and worried, until the call to investigate a foreign murder case was made. What a year it's been.