Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Shock Trooper posted:

NAM-1975 also has a last boss that gives you instant game over if you lose all your lives, which is kind of a dick move after all the unlimited continues for the rest of the game.

Nam 1975 seems like a perfect fit, especialy with limited continues. Very, very few people have seen the end of that game, and the actual payoff is hilarious.

The last boss is absolutely brutal, and pretty much requires you to die to the last wave of enemies on the final level, so that you can continue at the very last possible chance you get, and face the boss with a full set of lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

zari-gani posted:

I should mention that I'm on board the Retro Game Challenge 2 translation team now.

Ohmanohmanohmanohman :aaa:

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

zari-gani posted:

I should mention that I'm on board the Retro Game Challenge 2 translation team now.

This just made my month. Thank you.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Awesome news. Now I'll be able to enjoy it alongside Super Monkey Quest.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Can you do Valkyria Chronicles 3 once you're done?

Joking aside, best of luck, I hope it gets finished!

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Great news! I have already played GCCX ANC 2 to death already, but I can play more.

RedFive
Feb 20, 2003

zari-gani posted:

Can't wait! I've been slowly working my way through the game, but I would love to play it in English. Thanks for all you do for English fandom of GCCX!

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Lifespan posted:

Will this be a ROM translation or a complimentary guide/text file? Or is someone actually going to publish the game in US?

If it was being published in the US, you would most certainly not see people posting about working on it beforehand. NDAs are serious business in the game biz.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON

zari-gani posted:

I should mention that I more or less wet myself hearing that. That is some pretty exciting news. Here's hoping the rest of the work is done as well as we've come to expect. Also quickly.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ive been watching Gaki No Tsukai and loving it, but Ive really been spoiled by the quality of the subs we get on GCCX

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Thanks to Game Center CX I have now discovered the greatest game ever made:

They even have tiny cameras on the front of the train so you can see from its perspective as it goes around the track!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Random Stranger posted:

They even have tiny cameras on the front of the train so you can see from its perspective as it goes around the track!

So how much is it gonna cost you to import? :v:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Oh my god its the stupidest thing I've ever seen. I need to play it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMJvRM6Sum8

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Random Stranger posted:

I want to go to there.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Someone please locate that so I can go play it when I go to Japan in May. My God, it's glorious.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Katana Gomai posted:

Someone please locate that so I can go play it when I go to Japan in May. My God, it's glorious.

There's one here.

From what I can tell they set up the diorama differently at each location, too. :D

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Meme Emulator posted:

Ive been watching Gaki No Tsukai and loving it, but Ive really been spoiled by the quality of the subs we get on GCCX

To be fair, Yamazaki DID suddenly burst into an effeminate/gay character when everybody was complaining about his America Nabe.

But yes, those subs are absolutely dreadful. The takoyaki one in particular was so bad that I want to take some time and retranslate it.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Aku posted:

To be fair, Yamazaki DID suddenly burst into an effeminate/gay character when everybody was complaining about his America Nabe.

Yeah, and in that specific line, Matsumoto asks why he's acting like an okama, which is the term for a stereotypically campy gay crossdresser, much like "drag queen".

And while I understand the desire to go back and redo the translation work, your efforts would be put to much better use on some of the 1000+ episodes of Gaki no Tsukai that haven't been translated at all. (Says the guy who's been sitting on a half-subtitled episode for a year now...)

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 19, 2013

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

All gone, sorry!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chococat fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 21, 2013

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Chococat posted:

Sorry to post this again but if anybody wanted pins and missed getting them, I have TWO sets of pin set 1 left over. $11 for one set shipped within the US, tracking available for an extra dollar. Please PM me if you're interested. :)
Would you ship to the UK or is this a US only thing?

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

I can ship to the UK! It'd just be a little bit more (I think an extra $2? So $13) and I can't provide a tracking number.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Chococat posted:

I can ship to the UK! It'd just be a little bit more (I think an extra $2? So $13) and I can't provide a tracking number.
I don't have PMs but if you send me an e-mail to [redacted] I'd be up for buying a set.

InspectorCarbonara fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 21, 2013

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sorry dude you got beaten by PM people. I'll let you know if any of the few remaining orders I have pending back out. :(

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Forgot to thank you but I got the pins a week or so ago and they're awesome and so thanks a lot for doing this again for us!

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Chococat posted:

Sorry dude you got beaten by PM people. I'll let you know if any of the few remaining orders I have pending back out. :(

Dont forget about me Chococat. If you have a complete set turn loose I still want 'em.

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

Yeah dude, if you're the guy who emailed me a week ago or so you still have first dibs.

orochi
Oct 9, 2012

/usr/bin/orochi

zari-gani posted:

This is certainly a glimmer of hope for the project. I feel like I read here they were having problems changing the text in one of the games or something. Perhaps the way it rendered the text. I'm not sure. Does anyone have any further details of any problems halting the project? I find that kind of stuff interesting. I dabbled in rom hacking a bit years ago (although I'm quite sure I would be of no help to the project).

biopanda
Sep 28, 2007

orochi posted:

This is certainly a glimmer of hope for the project. I feel like I read here they were having problems changing the text in one of the games or something. Perhaps the way it rendered the text. I'm not sure. Does anyone have any further details of any problems halting the project? I find that kind of stuff interesting. I dabbled in rom hacking a bit years ago (although I'm quite sure I would be of no help to the project).

There were some issues with reinserting new graphics, but not really with any of the text. We've got a new coder who might be on board as well. Most of the halting was due to me though(whoops), but I'm back and work is beginning once again.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

So what is the voice saying in the intro just before the ode to joy starts up? Sounds like something broadcast.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
oh no we're back to playstation broadcast / ray trace broadcast / (garbled words) discussion

We will never know the real answer to this.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

PopeCrunch posted:

So what is the voice saying in the intro just before the ode to joy starts up? Sounds like something broadcast.

Play it backward and you'll hear "Satan Eats Cheez Whiz."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PopeCrunch posted:

"Game Center CX". Unless you're talking about episodes before 128. :v:

The man who recorded it doesn't remember what it says. We're never going to figure it out. :negative:

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.
I always thought it was saying "replacing broadcast", personally :shrug:

orochi
Oct 9, 2012

/usr/bin/orochi

biopanda posted:

There were some issues with reinserting new graphics, but not really with any of the text. We've got a new coder who might be on board as well. Most of the halting was due to me though(whoops), but I'm back and work is beginning once again.

Cool. The news that the project isn't dead has me very excited.

Caitlin posted:

oh no we're back to playstation broadcast / ray trace broadcast / (garbled words) discussion

We will never know the real answer to this.

Just listened to the voice like 20 times in a row. Sounds kind of like "Main Phasing Broadcast" to me so add that to the list.

edit: or maybe "Main Phase in Broadcast"...not that we'll ever know.

orochi fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 22, 2013

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I just assumed it was something in Japanese and left it at that.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
I forgot who it was but someone tweeted the original DJ who made the track (Junkie XL) and even he had no idea what it actually was.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

oh god what have i done :gonk:

Seriously I had no idea this was a Thing, but I suppose I should have realized I wasn't going to be the first one who wondered. It's hilarious that someone actually tracked down the dude who originally recorded it though, ahahaha

Krioni
Oct 9, 2012
It is awesome how many video game references I actually know now because of GCCX. The more Japanese tv I watch the more references I can enjoy :-). Just got done watching an anime and it had a Spelunker reference. Gintama is full of them too. I find myself watching more and more Japan programming than American tv these days. If it isn't shows like GCCX it is British comedy. Great news about the project for the second game picking back up too. Do you plan on releasing a script of translated material too? Just wondering because I'd be interested in buying the DS copy and using the script to follow along.

The Letter A
Nov 8, 2002

Just sent an e-mail to you guys about wanting to join the translation team if you need another person! I've just recently rediscovered this show and it's just wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Prefacing broadcast. :colbert: