Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Primoman posted:

If the SNES game is still the "definitive" Bomberman, then I would be interested in the Netplay feature.

Well, there were five Bomberman games released for the SNES, but only games 3-5 supported five players. As we can all agree that more players is better (at least to a point), I decided to do some net detective-ing and find out which other Bomberman games supported at least five players.

Aside from the NES version we saw in the show, there were also the TurboGraphix-16 games: Bomberman, Bomberman '93, and Bomberman '94. (Bomberman '93 is available on the Wii VC, with multiplayer, everywhere but Japan, which got '94 instead.) Then there's Bomberman World for the PS1, which has a weird isometric view.

If you want to go bigger, you'll need to hit the online versions, which each support eight players. There's one for each service; the Wii's Virtual Console has Bomberman Blast (also available boxed with some extra features, but nothing that affects online play, to my knowledge), while PSN has Bomberman Ultra and XBLA has both Bomberman Live and Bomberman Live Battlefest.

The crown for multiplayer insanity, however, goes to Saturn Bomberman's ten-player matches. Technically, there's a PC game called Atomic Bomberman that also supports ten players, but if given the choice, I know which I'd want to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

QwertySanchez posted:

Just for the hell of it I sent an email to Hudson a few days ago asking them why there's no PC bomberman.. A shot in the dark I know but there's nothing to lose.

Of course that's fifteen years old now...

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

QwertySanchez posted:

Just for the hell of it I sent an email to Hudson a few days ago asking them why there's no PC bomberman.. A shot in the dark I know but there's nothing to lose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_Bomberman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_Bomberman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bomberman_Collection_Vol.1

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

QwertySanchez posted:

There was a F2P version of Bomberman released for PC a few years ago. It died a relatively quick death, though.

For emulators, it's a nightmare to try to get it set up, at least on SNES. The two emulators that actually work online for more than 2 people (SNES9X/K and MameHUB) have problems that prevent the game from being playable (horrendous lag and desyncing). Kega Fusion and Mega Bomberman is the only viable way to do it, and since it uses Kaillera you're still going to be subject to desyncs.

I know all this because I spent an entire day trying to figure out a way my friends and I could play 5 player Bomberman over netplay. It yielded only heartbreak.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I was just coming back to mention bomberman online. there's BMOWorld.net, where there's sort of a port of it to english and I'm not sure if it's legit or what, but whenever you load it it opens up a pile of ads in your internet browser, but you can have a decent bomberman experience with it other than that.

And yes I'm aware of Atomic Bomberman I even mentioned it in the post.

edit: Yeah, same for me, the closest I got were a few dire Flash knock offs or trying to play bomberminge in garry's mod.. we decided to just give up in the end.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Random Stranger posted:

Of course that's fifteen years old now...
This drat game helped me lose a college scholarship.

I miss it.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Episode #135
2/9/2012
Alex Kidd in Miracle World

Chaindive
Sep 3, 2011
Wow Alex Kidd in Miracle World now that's one I want to see. I got to the end of this game as a kid once & the last bit glitched out and eventually froze. I saw the ending when an older kid came to our house party and completed it in one sitting lightning fast holding the pad sideways. I've got a modicum of nostalgia for the NES but a ton for the Master System & old Sega games in general. I wanted to give Arino a few slaps and a thai kick when they were at that game shop & Kibe showed him that Mega Drive & he said 'I don't care about that'. It's really great to see they're doing this game.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Chaindive posted:

Wow Alex Kidd in Miracle World now that's one I want to see. I got to the end of this game as a kid once & the last bit glitched out and eventually froze. I saw the ending when an older kid came to our house party and completed it in one sitting lightning fast holding the pad sideways. I've got a modicum of nostalgia for the NES but a ton for the Master System & old Sega games in general. I wanted to give Arino a few slaps and a thai kick when they were at that game shop & Kibe showed him that Mega Drive & he said 'I don't care about that'. It's really great to see they're doing this game.

I don't think I ever got past the castle. Even when I emulated it a few years back I got a game over at that point and gave up.

This will be only like the fourth or fifth GCCX game that I've played and have strong memories of.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I just finished the Bonks Adventure episode and im really upset at Arino for not eating his Manga Meat.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The WiiWare Bomberman is good. Look out for the xbox version.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
He was confused as much as I was after he bit into it and pulled back a mouth full of cheese. That Manga Meat did not gently caress around.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

joek0 posted:

Episode #135
2/9/2012

I just emitted a very excited squeal. This was possibly the first game I ever played and one my all time favourite games. They featured it briefly on an ace hardware segment but I never thought it would get a full challenge.

I really really hope that this gets translated sooner rather than later.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Mayor McCheese posted:

He was confused as much as I was after he bit into it and pulled back a mouth full of cheese. That Manga Meat did not gently caress around.

I want to meet the chef who figured out how to keep the illusion of super stretchy manga meat alive in the real world. He must be a loving genius.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Well, I just finished watching Takeshi's Castle and geez, Arino is out of shape. You're not old enough yet to blame your lack of fitness on age, Arino!

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com

Heavy neutrino posted:

Well, I just finished watching Takeshi's Castle and geez, Arino is out of shape. You're not old enough yet to blame your lack of fitness on age, Arino!

I don't know about all that. A lot of the movements he was doing are murder on the quads, and he was at it for almost 5 hours. I hate doing wallsquats for a minute straight, couldn't imagine the equivalent of 2-3 minute stretches of time.

Shady3011
Oct 21, 2008

Heran Bago posted:

The WiiWare Bomberman is good. Look out for the xbox version.

This game is like playing the original Bomberman except the original Bomberman came out 13 years before it and felt unique at the time. This game, on the other hand, throws everything out that made people love the Bomberman series the most obvious being the stupid art style. It doesn't even have local multiplayer. In fact, its stupid gimmick, First Person Bomber, isn't even in a first person view. Its in third person, which, limits your view of the field and adds a health bar. Great job, Hudson.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

joek0 posted:

Episode #135
2/9/2012

Called it!

Heavy neutrino posted:

Hey, he's turning forty in less than three weeks. Go easy on the guy!

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Wow, Alex Kidd was one of my first games too, it was actually pre-installed on my console. I don't think I ever got farther than the bike-in-the-forest bit.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Random Stranger posted:

Called it!

Hey, he's turning forty in less than three weeks. Go easy on the guy!

Masatoshi Hamada is nearly 50 and he's still doing batsu games. Arino isn't old enough to blame his lack of fitness on age. :colbert:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Meme Emulator posted:

I just finished the Bonks Adventure episode and im really upset at Arino for not eating his Manga Meat.

Yeah, that was loving awesome and I was dissapointed he didn't actually eat it too. But I think whoever delivered it (Toujima? I forget) said they traveled an hour to get it, so it was probably cold and unpleasant by that point.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Aha! I've been looking for the Ring Ring Tactics song for a couple days, thinking "Monkey Magic" was just the show Gandhara was used on when they stuck the two together. Funk rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHrtHBgbegQ

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Bocc Kob posted:

Aha! I've been looking for the Ring Ring Tactics song for a couple days, thinking "Monkey Magic" was just the show Gandhara was used on when they stuck the two together. Funk rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHrtHBgbegQ

It kind of is. Godeigo's OST for Monkey Magic was at number #1 in Japan for a while, back when it was released. Most of the songs were never played in their entirety on the show.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
After watching a couple of episodes with cartridge-based games, I was wondering what would happen when Arino did his "Kachou... ON!" with a disc-based one.

I got my answer with episode #42 - "Hatenas' Adventure Quest".

"Kachou... ON!"

"What happened?"

"I opened the disc cover."

:3:

Then I watched episode #44 - "Bio Miracle" and he sang/stretched out "Kachou... ON!" while the game loaded. :3:

Have there been any other memorable "Kachou... ON!" moments than these?

Avskum
Jul 27, 2009

:smugfrog:

the least weasel posted:

Wow, Alex Kidd was one of my first games too, it was actually pre-installed on my console. I don't think I ever got farther than the bike-in-the-forest bit.

High five Master System buddy! Alex Kidd was a tough game as a kid, I remember getting to the final castle but failing miserably due to the control and the many precision jumps required. I can't wait to see Arino take on this challenge.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Corridor posted:

It kind of is. Godeigo's OST for Monkey Magic was at number #1 in Japan for a while, back when it was released. Most of the songs were never played in their entirety on the show.

Even though I love Ring Ring Tactics in general, my favorite part of it is hearing WHACHHHYYAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!.

I love that show so much.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Avskum posted:

High five Master System buddy! Alex Kidd was a tough game as a kid, I remember getting to the final castle but failing miserably due to the control and the many precision jumps required. I can't wait to see Arino take on this challenge.

It completely slipped my mind that this is going to be the first Master System challenge. I wonder if Kibe pushed them into it...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Looks like Kotaku's license may have expired and their videos are pulled. I'm still able to access them directly through Viddler by going directly to the ID code of the video but the videos aren't appearing on Kotaku's site or by searching in Viddler. I'm going to give it a little more time to be sure but there will probably be revised versions of some classic episodes soon.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

GidgetNomates posted:

Even though I love Ring Ring Tactics in general, my favorite part of it is hearing WHACHHHYYAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!.

I love that show so much.

I posted this earlier, but I actually made a thread about it in TV IV...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3461106

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Shady3011 posted:

Great job, Hudson.

Fun fact: Konami internalized Hudson this year. They don't exist any more.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, good luck on any letter writing campaigns towards a defunct company.

Avskum
Jul 27, 2009

:smugfrog:

Random Stranger posted:

It completely slipped my mind that this is going to be the first Master System challenge. I wonder if Kibe pushed them into it...

It's about time that they gave the Master System some love. I'm hoping that this isn't a one time thing, I'd love to see Arino take on Psycho Fox as well.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Corridor posted:

I posted this earlier, but I actually made a thread about it in TV IV...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3461106

That guy with the pointy ears and hat is one of my favorite actors. :aaa:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Bocc Kob posted:

That guy with the pointy ears and hat is one of my favorite actors. :aaa:

Nishida is apparently one of Japan's foremost actors. I've been meaning to track down more stuff that he's in, the dude is amazing.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Have you seen Tiger & Dragon? That's my favorite show ever.

BiznatchMcFiznach
Oct 11, 2004

A robot isn't just for Christmas, it's for life.
Until this thread, I had never heard of GameCenter CX. Or Arino.

Life was dull and meaningless. Now, I have no time, and my wife hates me.

But gently caress it, Arino has a new challenge! Thanks so much for all the work translating, folks. This is amazing.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

For some reason I cannot download Masked Ninja Hanamaru because after entering the Depositfiles captcha it just kicks me to a blank screen before it can start downloading.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Zeether posted:

For some reason I cannot download Masked Ninja Hanamaru because after entering the Depositfiles captcha it just kicks me to a blank screen before it can start downloading.

Stop being a robot.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Random Stranger posted:

Looks like Kotaku's license may have expired and their videos are pulled. I'm still able to access them directly through Viddler by going directly to the ID code of the video but the videos aren't appearing on Kotaku's site or by searching in Viddler. I'm going to give it a little more time to be sure but there will probably be revised versions of some classic episodes soon.

SA GCCX presents Ninja Gaiden time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Random Stranger posted:

Is it safe to reupload the SA translated episodes that Kotaku did their own dub?