Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

(I'm late, work, etc.)

Renegade was a great episode, particularly with Abe serving as the Delinquent Culture Advisor and explaining parts of the game.
The new corner is Arino keeping past ADs from winning at Mario Bros, but it's still great. Tsuruoka was on this time, and when I saw him, my first thought was "drat, he's going bald, Arino's going to have a field day". He didn't let me down.

Next game is "Densha de Go! 64", to commemorate Arino's recent role in the movie Tomoshibi, which has a local rail line in Chiba prefecture as a central plot point. See about it here/. http://tomoshibi-choshi.jp/

There's also an ice cream corner where they announce a plan "that makes Arino scream!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

Next game is "Densha de Go! 64", to commemorate Arino's recent role in the movie Tomoshibi, which has a local rail line in Chiba prefecture as a central plot point. See about it here/. http://tomoshibi-choshi.jp/

That noise you just heard in the distance was my squeal of delight.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

That noise you just heard in the distance was my squeal of delight.

If they don't use the mic function I'll be very disappointed.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

If they don't use the mic function I'll be very disappointed.

Oh they better. FWIW Densha de Go 64 is a port of Densha de Go 2, so they're picking up the series right where they left off.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

New web series announcement - Yoiko's Minecraft Survival Life.

Neither Arino nor Hamaguchi have ever played Minecraft before. So, starting in early June, Nintendo will stream episodes of them trying to survive while playing it on the Nintendo Switch.
No official declaration, but I imagine it'll play off their annual "Desert Island Life" special a little bit.

It won't be aired live, but while they play, they'll be asking for help at the show's official Twitter account, @yoiko_minecraft, and using the advice in future episodes. Could your advice be the hint that saves them, or totally changes how the show plays out?

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/art...campaign=topics

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
is that going to be one of the videos that gets put out on the switch news feed thing?

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

mikeycp posted:

is that going to be one of the videos that gets put out on the switch news feed thing?

Nintendo seems to be in charge, so either that, or Nintendo Direct episodes on Youtube.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Kakaricho posted:

New web series announcement - Yoiko's Minecraft Survival Life.

Neither Arino nor Hamaguchi have ever played Minecraft before. So, starting in early June, Nintendo will stream episodes of them trying to survive while playing it on the Nintendo Switch.
No official declaration, but I imagine it'll play off their annual "Desert Island Life" special a little bit.

It won't be aired live, but while they play, they'll be asking for help at the show's official Twitter account, @yoiko_minecraft, and using the advice in future episodes. Could your advice be the hint that saves them, or totally changes how the show plays out?

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/art...campaign=topics

Is this supposed to be a joke about some show they did on a desert island? I've never seen it but I want to say I've seen a video game about it somewhere.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Nickoten posted:

Is this supposed to be a joke about some show they did on a desert island? I've never seen it but I want to say I've seen a video game about it somewhere.

"No official declaration, but I imagine it'll play off their annual 'Desert Island Life' special a little bit."

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Nickoten posted:

It's a show they do every year as a special for MechaIke, one of the variety shows that Yoiko are regulars on. I've seen a couple of them and wrote up a post about it a while back, let's see if I can find it.

e: Apparently I only wrote up that post in my mind, since I can find no evidence of it on the forums. I did take this gif from the 2009 special where Arino is trying to build furniture while Hamaguchi is out fishing so that they can host a party for the celebrities invited to their island.

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 13, 2017

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Nipponophile posted:

It's a show they do every year as a special for MechaIke, one of the variety shows that Yoiko are regulars on. I've seen a couple of them and wrote up a post about it a while back, let's see if I can find it.

e: Apparently I only wrote up that post in my mind, since I can find no evidence of it on the forums. I did take this gif from the 2009 special where Arino is trying to build furniture while Hamaguchi is out fishing so that they can host a party for the celebrities invited to their island.

You're not crazy, or at least if you are I'm crazy as well, since I remember a post like that. Maybe it was written by someone else?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

There's some info here and there if you search this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=results&qid=1494721401

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Nickoten posted:

There was a DS game based on it called "Tottadoo! Yoiko no Mujintou Seikatsu"

pnumoman posted:

You're not crazy, or at least if you are I'm crazy as well, since I remember a post like that. Maybe it was written by someone else?

Could have been me, I've posted about it before as well.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

zari-gani posted:

I usually never post pics of myself but eh, I've been revealed on the show now so...
*pics*

I watched the Code Name: Viper episode last night and was super surprised to see the first non-challenge segment featured you! Two, quick questions:
1.) How long did it take to draw the picture of the lady and her kid?
2.) Just how distracting was the person with the Minecraft-esque Arino head sitting in the crowd?

I feel like I could deal with a row full of people dressed like Arino, but that comically large head sitting a few rows back would have destroyed my focus every time I looked up.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

On May 26th, Arino will take a cruise ship from Nagoya to Sendai (20 hours) for "Game Center CX on the Pacific Ocean".
If anyone here is in Japan, they're asking people to come out and greet him and the staff at Sendai Port on May 27th at 16:00.

He'll be taking the MS Ishikari, which has an on-board arcade, theatre, lounge, baths, and more

http://www.taiheiyo-ferry.co.jp/english/senpaku/newishikari.html
(Japanese site has more info http://www.taiheiyo-ferry.co.jp/senpaku/new_ishikari/index.html)

A PC Engine DVD box-set will be released on August 2nd. The episodes on the set are Cho Aniki, Adventure Quiz Capcom World, Shockman, China Warrior, Somer Assault, Full Speed Delivery Boy, and a DVD-exclusive New Adventure Island challenge.

Next episode is a music game.

Please be Um Jammer Lammy.

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 20, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

Next episode is a music game.

Please be Um Jammer Lammy.

You're almost definitely correct since there's no music licensing concerns and it is actually something completable.

But if you say that you don't want to see Arino play some Dance Dance Revolution, you're a liar.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Is it completeable on an LCD?

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

But if you say that you don't want to see Arino play some Dance Dance Revolution, you're a liar.

Given that he broke his collarbone running a race, DDR might kill him.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Mister Chief posted:

Is it completeable on an LCD?

See, this is something I've wondered quite often. We live in an age where playing retro consoles on LCD TV's and screens causes input lag. Yet I've never seen them address it on the show. Are they simply playing around it? Do they not care? Is lag the cause of all the strange Arino deaths in games?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i feel like you are greatly overestimating the amount of input lag between a barrel plug on a crt and some a/v cables on an lcd. like people who claim they can tell the difference between a 1ms delay and a 1.5ms delay on a tv that costs $1000 more

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The input lag generally comes up in the context of speedrunning where the difference between a trick failing and succeeding can be razor-thin.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I have never counted milliseconds, but I can tell for sure that there is lag if I plug my consoles to my HDTV versus a CRT. It's not solely speedrun thing or something that requires super acute senses. (but I will grant that it varies by TV model, some HDTV's have less lag than others)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TeaJay posted:

See, this is something I've wondered quite often. We live in an age where playing retro consoles on LCD TV's and screens causes input lag. Yet I've never seen them address it on the show. Are they simply playing around it? Do they not care? Is lag the cause of all the strange Arino deaths in games?

For the purposes of the next episode, rhythm/music games can usually be adjusted to compensate for lag, since the sequence and timing of "correct" moves is an accurate thing known in advance.

It wouldn't surprise me if they explicitly purchased the screen they use for minimal lag (e.g. like how there are recommended HDTV's if you play fighting games competitively and they sponsor fighting game tournaments), too. But ultimately, as long as the lag isn't excessive and they bought a decent enough TV with minimal lag, Arino's level of play isn't going to be impacted by it much, outside of arguably maybe a few times where he just happened to push the A button slightly too late for a jump to work.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

The White Dragon posted:

i feel like you are greatly overestimating the amount of input lag between a barrel plug on a crt and some a/v cables on an lcd. like people who claim they can tell the difference between a 1ms delay and a 1.5ms delay on a tv that costs $1000 more

I assure you that some of us can tell, but it is highly dependent on game and skill level, plus the particular setup in question. This is mostly an issue for high-level play.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Caitlin posted:

I assure you that some of us can tell, but it is highly dependent on game and skill level, plus the particular setup in question. This is mostly an issue for high-level play.
What's sad is that it's 2017, and somehow we're still dealing with our TVs and their input lag, motion blur, and delayed sound. Step forward in image quality, step backwards in almost everything else :D

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

You absolutely can notice this when you have something down to precise muscle memory. It's also absolutely not going to be an issue for Arino.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

It's gonna be the SNES sequel to Milon's Secret Castle. Technically a music game!

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I don't think the Episode Guide on SA-GCCX has been updated since Episode 201.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 23, 2017

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Next game is Um Jammer Lammy, and there's an announcement about this summer's event.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

With 9.5 hours until Arino and crew reach shore, who wants to gamble that a Titanic impersonation makes it into the special?

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 26, 2017

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I drew a thing for this special. You'll know it when you see it.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Kakaricho posted:

With 9.5 hours until Arino and crew reach shore, who wants to gamble that a Titanic impersonation makes it into the special?

I've got my fingers crossed for Septentrion!

They should have Arino play the awful playstation sequel to that someday.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

I drew a thing for this special. You'll know it when you see it.

I still can't believe they made you paint the boat. That was just cruel and I'm sure the ferry line has people for that.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

grand theft grotto posted:

I've got my fingers crossed for Septentrion!

"Celebrity crashes ferry and does poor job of leading survivors to safety!"

or

"Ferry crash! Celebrity sexually harasses woman by sticking his face in her boobs shortly before death."

Take your pick.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

The Game Center CX Summer Festival will be held on July 29th at Asakusa Hanayashiki.

http://www.hanayashiki.net/

Also, the next game has "that house" (家/ie) in the title. Thoughts?

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 2, 2017

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Kakaricho posted:

Next game is Um Jammer Lammy, and there's an announcement about this summer's event.
Quality episode. Can't wait for the translation :)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kakaricho posted:

Also, the next game has "that house" (家/ie) in the title. Thoughts?

sweet home

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Did the hint use the kanji? Sweet home was written in katakana but I wish.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Mister Chief posted:

Did the hint use the kanji? Sweet home was written in katakana but I wish.

It was " i e " in katakana, the King never uses kanji, since retro (Famicom) games never did.

Nah, God's dead, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Speaking of which, I would love to see Arino tackle the first Resident Evil on PSX. It seems like the kind of game that would really suit the format of the show. Somewhat on the short side, lots of long and short term decision-making, lots of dramatic moments, and most importantly lots of opportunities for the use of the white board!

Not gonna lie, I love me some episodes that use the white board.