Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Adamant posted:

I assume you're joking, but I believe Kan has said they'll never do first-person view games on the show because they can easily cause viewers to get motion sickness.

I believe in Doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Kakaricho posted:

Abe will be the center dancer of a large scale dance unit at the October live challenge. The group's/new song's name will be announced soon.

This is what they announced during the ice cream segment, for the record.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Thank you for the new episode and for everything you do for us. :) I'm looking forward to part 2.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
The challenge is excellent (and inspiring me to try Zelda 2 again), but I'm actually more excited in the continuation of the trip. Watching Arino play through the early history of games is awesome.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

OK, how might someone in the USA get one of these shirts?

https://twitter.com/gccx_official/status/1038719886308999168

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
What was up with the Mega Man X2 episode? Did I miss something?

It was like he had never played a Mega Man game before. Seemed like he used the Mega Buster for most of the bosses rather than exploiting their weaknesses.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

joem83 posted:

It was like he had never played a Mega Man game before. Seemed like he used the Mega Buster for most of the bosses rather than exploiting their weaknesses.

I haven't seen the RAW so just general thoughts: Seems like Arino is more inept than usual with Mega Man games. They do have pretty precise controls and doing something like charging a shot while doing a dash-jump is tough for a regular player (unless you re-map dash to R or something, like me) let alone Arino.

Those games also play into the Kacho's habit on rapid-firing as much as he can even though the bosses clearly have i-frames. I want to shout to him during MMX Spark Mandrill fight to stop firing Shotgun ice when clearly it's not doing damage half the time!

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

joem83 posted:

Arino seems to be particularly bad at Mega Man and Mario games.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I think I posted this in here already, probably like 500 pages ago, and it comes up every now and again, but sometimes the ineptitude of Arino is really, really getting to me. Most of the time I find it endearing and don't mind it but sometimes, just sometimes, I wonder if he's ever really played a video game in his life.

I don't really wanna start rattling off examples of what I personally deemed bearable and what really got my goat, but it's just kind of unbelievable to me that after all those years doing this show and presumably also playing at least some video games in his private time, that nearly nothing seems to stick. Like, just the pure amount of playing he does pretty regularly should make him at least somewhat better at some things. But the dude is as oblivious as if someone just MiB neuralyzed his brain and made him forget he ever had a controller in his hands before.

I still love Arino and GCCX to pieces, and stuff like that will never ever make me stop watching or something, but sometimes I just kinda throw my hands in the air and go "C'mon my man, a 4 year old would've figured that out half an hour ago". It's just so baffling to me that there's seemingly no improvement even after years and years of gaming. And it's not that I expect him to get it the first time he tries or whatever, but after dying to the same thing 50 times or fighting the 10th boss with the same general mechanic, there HAS to be at least a tiny little lightbulb in his head making him go "Oooooooh, that's how you do this!". But nope... just keeps banging his head against it until he somehow miraculously makes it or an AD eventually steps in and goes "Look dude, that ability you got just before that fight... maybe try using that once or twice."

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Watching Hamaguchi being entirely flabbergasted by Mario Party minigames, failing to perform even the simplest tasks, makes for a good reference point on Arino supposedly being bad at games.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Remember Arino does radio interviews at like 2 AM and operates on a bonkers work schedule. If I were half as sleep-deprived as he likely is it'd be a miracle if I managed to even turn on the console.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

He also plays video games in 12-14 hours straight sessions, and the difficult parts usually come towards the end. Can't really blame him for getting a bit unobservant after a while.

Adamant fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 11, 2018

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

univbee posted:

Remember Arino does radio interviews at like 2 AM and operates on a bonkers work schedule. If I were half as sleep-deprived as he likely is it'd be a miracle if I managed to even turn on the console.

Adamant posted:

He also plays video games in 12-14 hours straight sessions, and the difficult parts usually come towards the end. Can't really blame him for getting a bit unobservant after a while.

He's also a 40+ year old dude whose favorite genre appears to be Draque-esque RPGs. I think he can be forgiven for a lack of lateral thinking and controller skill.

My personal suspicion is that there's also an element of entertainment behind it. It's not that I think he's loving up on purpose constantly, but that he's aware he's producing a television show that, by necessity, requires an expansive amount of footage to be able to piece together a full episode. You can't really get golden moments of him failing in some hilarious way or him cracking jokes if it's over and done with in 4 hours. If he sat down after every boss fight, reviewed the footage, and made a plan on the whiteboard, he'd probably clear these games pretty drat fast, but then there'd be little for the production team to actually go off of. Mindlessly grinding out these games in grueling 11-12 hour sessions flat out produces better television.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Vermain posted:

He's also a 40+ year old dude whose favorite genre appears to be Draque-esque RPGs. I think he can be forgiven for a lack of lateral thinking and controller skill.

My personal suspicion is that there's also an element of entertainment behind it. It's not that I think he's loving up on purpose constantly, but that he's aware he's producing a television show that, by necessity, requires an expansive amount of footage to be able to piece together a full episode. You can't really get golden moments of him failing in some hilarious way or him cracking jokes if it's over and done with in 4 hours. If he sat down after every boss fight, reviewed the footage, and made a plan on the whiteboard, he'd probably clear these games pretty drat fast, but then there'd be little for the production team to actually go off of. Mindlessly grinding out these games in grueling 11-12 hour sessions flat out produces better television.

We saw a good example of exactly that in Juuouken no Nazo.
Arino made it to the Egypt boss at a point when he had about 30 minutes left until they had to stop filming, so the staff made him pause the game, explained exactly how to beat the boss (I've played the game, it's not very apparent and requires so pixel perfect timing it's easy to assume you guessed wrong if you even try it. NOT something Arino would've figured out on his own without spending many many lives), then helped him out with some of the hits after he started struggling even after knowing what to do. Why? Because the challenge was going to end whether Arino won or lost anyway, so giving Arino a realistic chance to beat the boss made for much much better TV than having Arino waste all his remaining lives while saying "I don't get what I'm supposed to do" a bunch of times.

Adamant fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 11, 2018

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I understand all that and agree, and as I said I don't really enjoy the show any less for it or anything. But things like the earlier mentioned not realizing that MM bosses have iframes, which is somewhat forgivable at least if you're not observant, or a better example, the boss fight against the horse rider in the Z2 episode. Like, dude, you literally just got the downstab and it's really not that hard to put two and two together, even after 12 hours and if you're 40+.

Again, I'm not expecting anything to change and that's perfectly fine, but sometimes it's hard to control my nerd rage when things are really, blatantly obvious and he just decides to bash his head against a wall for an hour instead. I still love the guy, I still love the show, just sometimes instead of making me laugh at him, Arino makes me rage at him a bit :shrug: He literally made me go "Thank god, finally!" after he, well, finally tried it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's still crazy to me that he had to grind out 99 lives for the Bowser fight in Super Mario World

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

It's still crazy to me that he had to grind out 99 lives for the Bowser fight in Super Mario World

It's also crazy to me how he grinded out those 99 lives (slowly killing bullet bills with a shell in one level), I'm not sure you could do it slower if you tried, especially since one earlier level in world 4 gets you 99 lives with just a few minutes of setup.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Also I dunno how many of you have tried to talk or be entertaining while streaming for instance but it definitely makes games harder and makes you not notice things, or at least for me it did

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The "streamer tax" or "LPer's curse" is very real. Add to that that he's not really an experienced gamer in the same way that many of us are.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

abraxas posted:

I understand all that and agree, and as I said I don't really enjoy the show any less for it or anything. But things like the earlier mentioned not realizing that MM bosses have iframes, which is somewhat forgivable at least if you're not observant, or a better example, the boss fight against the horse rider in the Z2 episode. Like, dude, you literally just got the downstab and it's really not that hard to put two and two together, even after 12 hours and if you're 40+.

Eh, I'd cut him some slack on that one. I had no idea it was possible to hit that boss WITHOUT the downthrust, and the strategy he found did work, at least to an extent. If you find a strategy that works, it's common to not bother experimenting with other things.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
All this talk about being bad at games while being entertaining makes me think of Game Grumps. I've had to stop watching some of their playthroughs because as much as I like the boys, they were getting confused at stuff that was literally right in front of them that anybody could've figured out instantly if they weren't cracking jokes with a friend about boobs and butts or whatever.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I don't personally mind the being bad at games thing, I think that makes for a more entertaining show, but I definitely do get irritated when he doesn't grasp things that appear to be simple to me. I also figured that X2 being his 5th Mega Man game played on the show that he'd have a better understanding. That was why I asked if I missed something, I was watching the untranslated raw so I wasn't sure I was missing something by not knowing what they were saying.

The 99 lives for Bowser thing was pretty silly, lol.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
There was that one ninja game where he beat it in something like three hours so they went to see a movie. Competence is fun now and then but doesn’t make for great TV.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

SkeletonHero posted:

There was that one ninja game where he beat it in something like three hours so they went to see a movie. Competence is fun now and then but doesn’t make for great TV.

Ninja Spirit.

Last episode's Legend of Kage he beat in 6 hours, so they gave him an additional challenge of getting the secret ending, which only took him another hour. Definitely one of the shorter challenges.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Pastry of the Year posted:

OK, how might someone in the USA get one of these shirts?

https://twitter.com/gccx_official/status/1038719886308999168

I just applied to go to the business day. I'll at least get one for myself if I get in.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

univbee posted:

It's also crazy to me how he grinded out those 99 lives (slowly killing bullet bills with a shell in one level), I'm not sure you could do it slower if you tried, especially since one earlier level in world 4 gets you 99 lives with just a few minutes of setup.

and no-effort lives if you go to chocolate secret, which i think he unlocked

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Well that was easy.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

15th anniversary show news.

The Abe dance unit has been tentatively named Abe Brothers, with Matsui and Kaga confirmed as singers. Member names will be based on fruits.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Looks like I'll be attending the 15th anniversary show in October. Whoo!

taopriest
Oct 25, 2011

"Games Are Like Baths, Without Them, We Would Get Sick" Igarashi Koji
Kenny Omega visited also the TGS booth.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Arino's challenge featuring Kenny Omega, make that happen.

taopriest
Oct 25, 2011

"Games Are Like Baths, Without Them, We Would Get Sick" Igarashi Koji
GCCX MAX~Short version~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp6r464SjLc&feature=youtu.be

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I'm going tomorrow! Yay!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I'm liking the look of this Japanese version of Undercover Boss.

lunchtabler
Feb 29, 2016
If anyone attending TGS is interested in picking me up an Arino Figuart (or other swag) and shipping it to the US, I'd be incredibly grateful and can immediately pay for the difficulty.

Otherwise, have a fun time out there and thanks for sharing pics! Gotta make it out to Japan during TGS one of these years for that possible Kacho sighting!

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

univbee posted:

I'm liking the look of this Japanese version of Undercover Boss.

who is this handsome masked stranger

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Did anybody else notice the return of Cat Machine's Johnny Walker? Also, that Supreme sticker and deck that they have in there is pretty random.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

lunchtabler posted:

If anyone attending TGS is interested in picking me up an Arino Figuart (or other swag) and shipping it to the US, I'd be incredibly grateful and can immediately pay for the difficulty.

Otherwise, have a fun time out there and thanks for sharing pics! Gotta make it out to Japan during TGS one of these years for that possible Kacho sighting!

How much is it?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Mister Chief posted:

How much is it?

6480 yen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Do you have a link to all the stuff they have with prices?