Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
New thread and a new video (untranslated, but I don't care)? Awesome! :neckbeard:

The only thing that stinks is that the video description reminds me that I should get back to work on my Retro Game Challenge LP that I thought of starting in the previous thread. I took a break from it after running into technical difficulty after technical difficulty, but having a new thread is inspiring me to want to work on it again. :)

SereneCrimson posted:

:smith: the old thread is full of such memories.
I know what you mean... I remember when it was more or less ignored for the longest time before the translation formed and started to do something that I never thought would happen in my lifetime. Thank you again for the many hours of translated GCCX, guys! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

HAIL LORD ZLATAN posted:

Does the USA episode have any identification on the Goons who appear? just curious
Sadly no, but the ones who stood out from what I saw were rdbbb, who cosplayed as Arino and was interviewed about why he loves the show, and Jetpack Postman, who gave Arino and the staff copies of zari's "America Loves Game Center CX" poster.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

joek0 posted:

Can someone translate the challenges for each game he does in the Retro Game Master video.

Edit: Was his challenge to beat each of the games?
I'm going by what I saw and I think these were the challenges. I'm still watching it when I posted this, but I will update the post as I keep watching unless someone who either knows Japanese well enough to translate them and/or already watched it posts a list.

1) Warp to and complete stage 64 (the final stage) in Cosmic Gate
2) Find the hidden Arino head/king in Haggleman 1
3) Complete the first race in Rally King without taking damage
4) Get the 1.5 million (I guess the 150 thing is how they say 1.5 million in Japan?) point bonus in Area 4 of Star Prince
5) Finish the last three in-game challenges of Rally King SP for Abe (who seems to suck at the game)
6) Doing some weird trick regarding going through the exit of each stage with a few seconds left in Haggleman 2 (I have no idea what this one does)
7) Find and defeat the hidden Demon Arino boss in Guadia Quest (with underleveled characters)
8) Complete the third/final stage in Haggleman 3

Obeast fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Dec 4, 2011

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Even though Bonk's Adventure was the main part of the episode, seeing the documentary of the Christmas Eve live show was pretty great to see (spoilering just to be safe) Arino finally conquering Quest of Ki.

Also, was Bonk's Adventure really that hard? I played it on Virtual Console a few years ago and don't remember it being as hard as it looks on the show. :confused:

Pangalin posted:

Kachou NO BONUS
That was one of the best reactions I've ever seen to something so minor. He looks like he ran over his neighbor's cat or dog and knows that he has to give them the bad news.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Cracky posted:

That pink one of 8-bit Arino playing a game is so :3:...

Speaking of which, did 8-bit Arino ever appear on the show outside of the intro to the US trip episode?

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Johanz posted:

8-Bit Arino Backgrounds
Thank you for the new wallpaper! You did a great job at re-drawing the sprite. :)

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I feel kinda disappointed that this is a TV-Nihon sub since SAGCCX does an amazing job at subbing since you guys know that a lot of the people watching probably don't know much about Japanese culture, so you change a few things (like some game titles) to make more sense for the English viewers. But, more Arino is never a bad thing, so I'm pretty happy either way. :)

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

SmockJoc posted:

Yeah, DQ 1 would be perfect
It would be fun at first until you realize that 70% (maybe more) of it is grinding. If they ever do Dragon Warrior/Quest, they should have him do the Game Boy version in Dragon Warrior I & II (it's Super Game Boy compatible, so they could do something like that one mini-segment where he played random Game Boy games on a SGB). I've never played much of it myself, but I know the enemies in that drop a shitload more XP and gold that makes grinding a lot less tedious.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I don't know why, but I didn't feel like I was enjoying the Flashback episode as much as I should have. It had nothing to do with the translation (you guys did a great job as always), but I think it felt like they cut out a lot of the stuff in editing, especially near the beginning of the game. But, to be fair, I never actually played Flashback, so I didn't connect with the game that much, and I've been having kind of an off night tonight (probably because school starts tomorrow/today), so maybe it's just me. :shobon:

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Sorry if this was already discussed, but I just watched the Super Mario Crossover 2.0 trailer (which has been out for a few weeks now) and saw something that might interest the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE1K9yNDNA8
Skip to about 2:50 and about 3:05 if you're impatient and/or don't want to see how awesome this is looking.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 22, 2012

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Joctan posted:

To compare Super mario crossover with a simple rom hack is so wrong in so many levels...
This. Aside from "Mario vs. Airman", which is a one level Mario 1 romhack that takes place in Airman's stage in Mega Man 2, I imagine most "crossover" hacks are pretty lovely. I kinda wish that the guy who made it could make a full rom of the game so people could play it in any emulator (which would be really good for people with softmodded Wiis), or put it on a PowerPak or reproduction cart to play it on an actual NES.

Edit: For anyone who enjoyed Mario Crossover, there's also the recently released Abobo's Big Adventure, which is really well done and actually pretty tough.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 22, 2012

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Why did you have to upload an episode right before I go to bed? :argh:

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Once again, SAGCCX does an excellent job! I really enjoyed the Yo! Noid! (I'm too lazy to find the Japanese name) episode a lot. :)

Also, during the segments where Arino went to three cities to promote the DS game, did anyone else think that the meet-and-greets felt kinda lame compared to the USA one? I'm sure part of it is that they didn't actually know how many people would show up to the USA one, and they seemed really surprised and happy when they saw the crowd. That is still one of my favorite moments from the show that I like to re-watch from time to time. :unsmith:

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

DiscoJ posted:

Wouldn't the violence be a problem for most FPS games? I'm struggling to recall a time they've shown anything bloody/gorey.
The Top Secret Episode: Golgo 13 episode had some blood IIRC. I'm surprised that game even got released in the US since Nintendo of America used to be insane about censoring anything graphic and/or religious in games.

VVV Have him do an entire episode for The Kid's levels in Super Meat Boy. :v:

Obeast fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jan 23, 2012

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Primoman posted:

Do you know the Kacho!?

Yeah!

Do you know the Kacho!?

Yeaaaahhhhh!!!

DO YOU KNOW THE KACHOOOOO!?

YEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
Thank you. :)

Primoman posted:

But I think my favorite moment has to be when he freaks out over the size difference of the NES and SNES in America. It's such a simple but endearing moment.
That was pretty awesome to see. It's too bad that they never went into the history about why the NES looked so different from the Famicom, because it's actually a pretty interesting piece of video game history. But, that would've taken a bit of time since it has to do with the Video Game Crash of '83, which would need an explanation in itself since it apparently didn't affect Japan at all from what I've heard.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
The last fourteen minutes or so of that episode with the multiplayer Bomberman tournament with the final match being Arino vs Toujima vs Kibe vs Abe vs Urakawa made my night. The rest was great and one of the best so far (big time thanks to the translation team of course), but the last fourteen minutes was a great way to end the episode. :)

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Takeshi's Castle was pretty great, but I can see why that was the only real physical game they did for a challenge. I'm sure present day Arino would probably die after the first run of that game unless he's been working out (which I doubt). My favorite part had to be Arino's reaction to the game crediting Sasano for beating the game.

Anyways, thanks for the past few episodes, SAGCCX. You guys are total saviors to us non-Japanese speaking/reading goons. :)

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
If this was something other than GCCX, I probably would've gone to bed by now. I just hope the torrent finishes downloading before I get too tired. :)

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
It finished for me about a half hour ago and I'm watching it right now. I'll keep the seed going for as long as I can so everyone can experience how great this episode is thanks to the SAGCCX team. :)

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
One of the guys over at Retroware TV (which has some pretty good retro gaming web shows) wrote an article about GCCX and even included a link to this thread for people who want to download the translated episodes. The article mostly talks about what the show is about and mentions that it's being translated (he also recommends watching the fan translations instead of the Kotaku ones), but it's pretty cool to see the show getting a little more coverage as well as SAGCCX getting some credit. :)

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Mister Chief posted:

They're obviously big fans of the show and have been for awhile. Just watch the intro to this video.
I totally forgot about that until now. That's a really good recreation of GCCX's intro, even down to the blue hue. :)

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I have a feeling that it will be the documentary about the 24 hour special, not the entire thing (unless you guys are that insane, which I kinda think you are).

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Yay! New vid... Huh?

Random Stranger posted:

This is part one; the whole thing compressed down to one hour. There is more to come.
:tviv:

You know I love you guys, but you guys are loving nuts if you're are doing what I think you're doing. :aaaaa:

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I haven't watched the Documentary yet, but I can't wait to watch both of these. Thank you again and again, SAGCCX. You guys will never stop being awesome in my book. :)

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I just finished watching the 24 hour special documentary and SAGCCX compilation video. Thank you again, SAGCCX. You guys are seriously awesome at what you do. :)

Also, please tell me I'm not the only one who was almost in tears during (SAGCCX compilation spoiler) Toujima and Tanii's homoerotic TamaGe segment. I had to pause the video to finish laughing during that segment, which doesn't happen as often as it used to.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I've already seen the train episode on that blog, but it will be awesome to watch it in English. :)

zari-gani posted:

Haha, well I'm only doing it because it's a fun episode to watch. Here's another preview so that my other one doesn't scare people off.

"An out-of-control conductor. From Kawasaki to Tsurumi, he starts a drag race with the train next to him."

Arino would've been the coolest and most dangerous train conductor if he went down that career path.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I need to get some sleep soon, but I decided to check Twitter just now and saw that Kan posted this.

Kan's Twitter posted:

GCCXアメリカロケ時、住宅街のゲームショップで有野さんが「将来こんな感じで店開けたらええな〜」と岐部くんに話してましたが、僕の場合ゲームセンターの親父さんが理想です。昔の筐体置いて…ただメカにからっきし弱いのでメンテができなさそう…(^_^;)
Seeing GCCX mentioned, I decided to give Google Translate a shot to see what he was talking about and it came out with this.

Google Translate posted:

The Kibe-kun was talking with the United States when GCCX Roque, Mr. Arino "~ Yes I feel when I opened this shop in the future" in the game shops in the residential area, father of the game's center is ideal in my case. It can be a maintenance mechanic Karakkishi so weak ... but we put the old enclosure ... (^ _ ^ ;)
I know Google Translate is far from perfect, but I'm curious about why Kibe was talking "with the United States". I highly doubt that they're planning a second trip already, nor do I think it has anything to do licensing the show out again since they seem to be talking about game centers. Could someone give a better translation to see what this might be about and if it could be important?

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

zari-gani posted:

"When we filmed GCCX in America, in the suburban game shop, Arino was saying to Kibe 'Wouldn't it be great to open a store like this some day?' but if it were me, I'd run a game center. With lots of old arcade cabinets... But I'm really bad with mechanics, so I wouldn't be able to do any maintenance on them."
Ahh okay. Thank you and the other people who were able to translate that. I am kinda disappointed that there aren't any plans for a second US trip (yet), but at least it's cool that it sounds like they still talk about it. :)

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

So trust the translators' episode selection. They know what they're doing.
I've been happy with the translators' episode selections so far with a few minor exceptions (mostly Mario 64, which wasn't a bad episode, but part one in particular didn't show Arino struggling as much as usual), so I already trust them enough to make the right choices. :)

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Mister Chief posted:

Is this for the English store?
I doubt it. All three Nintendo branches are doing special streams to announce some new stuff and it sounds like Japan is having/had their's. The US one (with Reggie Fils-Aime) starts in a couple hours, but I'll be asleep by then. I hope they announce that SAGCCX will translate those videos for the US 3DS Nintendo Channel, but the chances of that happening are pretty slim unless there's something that someone around here isn't telling us.

Edit: That would've been a good time to announce Retro Game Challenge 3 and/or Retro Game Challenge 1 and 2 compilation for the Wii U, which I still think would be a great platform for a new RGC.

VVV gently caress you, I have homework and sleep to get caught up on! :argh: Edit: I didn't know there was a GBC version of Blaster Master.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Feb 22, 2012

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Arino's playing Donkey Kong '94 (the Game Boy remake/sequel to the Arcade game) right now. gently caress homework and sleep, they can wait. :)

Edit: The GCCX stuff is over. I still wish that they would do a full episode of DK94 using the Super Gameboy, but that short video was good enough.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Feb 22, 2012

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

McLaglen posted:

For the attention of anybody with a 3DS:

Earlier today, Nintendo sent out special Swapnote messages to advertise various things, such as Iwata and Reggie (for Japan and America respectively) mentioning a new Nintendo Direct video, and Zelda series lead director Aonuma thanking fans for their support during the Zelda 25th Anniversary. All these messages came with unique 'stationery', which can be used in your own swapnotes as soon as you receive a message containing them. (You do have to unlock the Stationery function first, which is done by creating a few swapnotes of your own. You don't have to send them to anybody, just save 'em.)

One of the promotional swapnotes released today is very relevant to our interests.

Couldn't find any images or articles about this elsewhere, so I settled on taking a crap photo. The King's speech bubble says "メンセージ", or "Message". The background is animated, with stars constantly flying towards the screen like that old Windows screensaver.

To claim this for yourself, you either need an Internet-connected Japanese 3DS, or must have it sent to you by a friend. My 3DS code is 0946-2283-6120; PM me or leave a comment here with your own friend code, and you'll receive the stationery eventually.
I posted my friend code, but one of my other friends already sent it along with the new Zelda one that I think Europe got. You can still add me, though, since you can never have enough Swapnote friends. :)
I'm sad that we didn't get a message from Arino, even if I had no idea what he was saying aside from the "GAME CENTER CX! KACHO ON!". :(

Obeast fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 22, 2012

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
This is another one that I've already seen the raw version of, so I know how it ends. But, I'll still watch it since you guys consistently do an awesome job. :)

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I think I asked this in the previous thread and don't remember if it got answered, but what's the song that plays in the beginning of the Retro Read-Along segment? It sounds like a piano rendition of a Final Fantasy song, but I can't put my finger on which game it might've come from.

techknight posted:

How the hell do so many of you have a 3DS? :psyduck:
I got mine for Christmas and I pretty much do nothing but Swapnote and StreetPass games (mostly Find Mii). I still need to buy Pushmo someday since everyone says it's a great game. :shobon:

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Mister Chief posted:

Does anyone have any idea how long the live stream is going to be?
According to whoever posted the comment/event about it on the Steam group, it'll be eight hours long.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

AlexMoron posted:

Here are the Miis of both Arino and Kibe from when I StreetPassed them at the meetup in LA:

Also, I'm gonna list those of you who I've added to me 3DS but haven't added me back:

McLaglen
Gutcruncher
Obeast
Bastionwyvern
Ineffiable
absolutely anything
dasfoldingfive
DaMangoSentinel
Joshuadel
genredleader
Egregious
Opendork

If you missed it the first time, my code is 2449-4791-2612. Please add me back!

And finally to not be entirely off-topic, I want to extend my thanks to the SAGCCX crew for all they do for us! I really wish there was some way for us to give back!
Added! Thank you for the QR codes for Arino and Kibe, but it doesn't take away from any jealous that I have of you for meeting them (or at least Arino) in person. :)

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Bocc Kob posted:

Why oh why couldn't this show be on a free channel. I retreat to my blankets in defeat. :negative:
http://www.freshverse.com/tv.php

You can watch it on here for free unless there's some problem with the region you're in. You have to sign up, but you can use a bogus e-mail address if you want to make it easy on yourself in terms of possibly getting spam.

Also, didn't zari say something about the producers talking to her about this live show a while back? Did she say or even hint how she might be contributing? I'm thinking that she could've done some art for the episode since she told them that she drew the "America Loves Game Center CX" posters the crew got on the US trip.

Edit: Yeah, she did, but said nothing more about it after that. :raise:

Obeast fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 24, 2012

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I knew I should've bought some alcohol for this event. :(

At least I don't have school tomorrow, so I can stay up and watch this. :)

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Hahaha, Arino's first(?) gift is a big stuffed Dragon Quest (I still call it Dragon Warrior :colbert:) king slime. That's a pretty awesome gift. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

AggressivelyStupid posted:

With this king slime inside:

I know it's how the screen cap was timed, but he looks shocked and confused by what's in front of him.