Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Allen Wren posted:

Did that password just take him to level 6?
Yeah, it did.

Are they going to do other games along with Pilotwings since it doesn't have 40 levels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Didn't the rocketbelt in the original game let you hover in place in mid-air? I know 64 and Resort let you do that to make it easier to hit the horizontal rings and moving targets, but I don't recall if the original had that.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
What is it with Arino and bonus rounds/levels? He never seems to be that great at them.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

genredleader posted:

I don't blame him. Those Bonus Stages are hard to get to and hard to do well in. I almost never bothered with them when I played.
Oh... Well, to be fair, it's been years since I've played the original game and I never got far in it legitimately (I used to like to use the password to play the final level, but never completed it since I sucked at it and/or it's really hard).

Edit: Oh god... He hosed that landing up beyond anything.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
They're showing faxes now. Anyone see their's yet?

Paper Lion posted:

Is asking for a link to the stream :filez: or not, I mean we post entire translations here all the time so it would seem kosher but I don't wanna break any rules.
http://www.freshverse.com/tv.php (requires registration, but it's free and you can use a fake e-mail address)

and

http://en.justin.tv/atxhd66

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I'm convinced that hitting the moving bonus target in skydiving is the most impossible thing ever unless you're really good at Pilotwings skydiving.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Did the game just glitch out?

Edit: :lol: He's trying to fix the game during the birthday message.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I'm wondering if the AV cable on that SFC broke. The video seemed hosed up, but the audio was coming in just fine. :confused:

edit: I guess this is an old TamaGe since Arino has his old hair style?

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
And, we are back!

schuhart posted:

Is there any particular reason they are showing this one? Is it a favourite of Arino's or is it because of the technical problems?
Probably a mix of both. The producers know that there might be problems during the broadcast, so since it's his birthday, they likely asked Arino to pick out some of his favorite segments to play when they're trying to fix everything.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Man With Scissor posted:

Did I understand that correctly? He only needed 1 point to beat this level?
If you mean he was one point short of beating the level, then yes.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Nill posted:

I want to pretend they're dancing or competing in a dance-off since Arino looks like he's trying to do the robot and Takahashi's doing the "Walk Like an Egyptian" dance (I have no idea what it's actually called).

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Liku posted:

Wait, he has to get a high enough score on all three challenges in one go to beat this? I haven't played this terrible game in forever but god drat.
Pretty much. As Kan would say, it's a cruel system.

E: He landed the gently caress out of that plane. Please don't gently caress up the rocketbelt, Arino. :ohdear:

E2: YES! :dance:

E3: Sakurai (the guy who created Kirby)? They got some pretty big names in the gaming industry doing this. :)

Obeast fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Feb 24, 2012

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Best music video ever, especially with the Arino walking in the desert footage from the US trip. :)

Edit: We need a translated version of this soon. I have a feeling the lyrics are funnier than I think.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I'm really tempted to buy these, but I don't want to end up hating them because my lack of knowing Japanese will get in the way of me ever beating them. :smithicide:

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I was thinking Arino was gonna get the last 70 whatever points in the rocketbelt on his first try. Then, him crashing in the water less than a minute in reminded me that this is Arino playing. :doh:

schuhart posted:

Living in England makes this easy to watch since its only tweleve midday here, but you US fans have real dedication to stay up this late!
I'm actually usually up this late, but I'm starting to get tired even though I'm drinking coffee at the moment. :)

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
USA FAX! gently caress YEAH! :dance:

Who's fax was that?

techknight posted:

Just played em.. These are very, very simple games. I feel a little ripped off, but no one is going to have trouble understanding how to play.

In this one you just have to duck objects thrown at various heights:

That looks pretty on par with the price, especially since it's a licensed game.

schuhart posted:

Its certainly worth staying up for, I cant wait to see what presents Arino gets next.
Also Im keeping a very detailed timeline of events for people to read after if they miss it. Inculding number of crash landings/deaths, which I estimate to be 31 as of now. Aot less than in most challenges!

Cheers for taking one for the team Techknight, what is the animation quality like?
I'm gonna try to stay up as long as I can, but I dunno if I'll go for the whole thing. Maybe until 6 or so, then I need to get some sleep since I have a few things I'd like to get done tomorrow/today.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Spincut posted:

Hahaha, holy poo poo.

This one is mine. I'm so glad I stayed up for that. :3:
That's really awesome. I wasn't paying much attention to the stream (I was writing my previous post) until I saw the US flag in the corner of my eye and realized that they were showing off your fax. Arino sounded pretty surprised by it, which isn't surprising since he probably didn't realize that we're watching (and cheering for) him as well. :)

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Arino's got the cooling pads out... I'm kinda surprised it took him this long considering how long he's been stuck on this level.

Edit: What are they laughing about?

VVV Something like that... I'm at the point where I'm halfway paying attention unless there's a lot of yelling going on, so I've definitely lost track of time.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 24, 2012

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Man With Scissor posted:

How many presents has he actually opened? I'm been watching sporadically for the last couple hours and only recall seeing him open one, the Dragon Quest slime.
As far as I can tell, you didn't miss anything in terms of the presents. It's sad, because I really want to see which one zari hinted to know something about (I'm sure she'll tell us about it if he doesn't open it).

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

So how many hours do you think he's going to go over? I figured it would probably be four hours...
I kinda doubt that they will go overtime with this at this rate unless a miracle happens and/or one of the ADs step in and finishes this level for him out of pure frustration.

Edit: If he 100 pts the hang glider, I will stick with this until the end regardless of how tired I get. :)

VVVV I know how you feel... I also how how the staff feels watching him play a game for nearly 13 hours straight.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 24, 2012

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I think Arino is about to cry for being stuck on this for this long. I'll give him one or two more attempts, but my eyelids and brain are telling me to get to sleep.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I'll give him one more chance to beat this level. If he messes up, then I'm going to bed.

If I do go to bed, then it's been fun goons and goonette(s)! Sorry I can't stay for the last couple hours, but I'm way past my usual bedtime and I have some stuff to do later today. I hope that we can get an abridged version of this so I can see how it ends if he gets past this level (which I'm really doubting he will, but he's pulled off some pretty amazing things over the years, so I know it's not impossible).

Edit: Okay, good night! :)

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I just woke up and got caught up with the thread... Holy crap, zari's gift is beyond awesome! I'm kinda pissed that I went to bed when I did, because I would've loved to have seen the reaction live. :)

Like I said in the post I made before I went to bed, I hope that we'll get an abridged version of this episode (or a behind the scenes documentary like the Lemmings 24 hour special) so I can see a lot of the major stuff that I missed since it looks like I missed quite a bit.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

joek0 posted:

You were about 13 min. away from the big moment at midnight.
gently caress me, seriously? I thought I went to bed around half an hour before the good stuff happened. I should never lose my faith in Arino ever again since I expected the rest of the episode to be nothing but that level. :smithicide:

Edit: You're right... gently caress! :mad:

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

joek0 posted:

For those who missed the show at midnight with the bday celebrations, Justin.tv has the video. It starts at about the 39 min mark. Zarigani's gift starts at about the 48 min mark.

http://en.justin.tv/atxhd66/b/309607086
I've had a pretty bad day so far until I saw Arino get zari's gift. Thanks for the link! :)

Next time they do a live show, I should fax them something. I feel like I missed out on a great opportunity to support Arino. :(

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

zari-gani posted:

The new original song "Kacho Fighter" is at 1:56:03.
http://en.justin.tv/atxhd66/b/309607086
I think the video got taken down because it ends up in the list of videos uploaded by that viewer. :(

Nill posted:

Speaking of YouTube, here's an embedded clip of the birthday segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XULaaICbMIg
Thank you for uploading this (assuming it was you).

Edit: I love their official 1 minute countdown. :v:

Obeast fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 25, 2012

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Bocc Kob posted:

The Kacho Fighter video is showing now, which episode was Arino sneaking up on a squirrel? :aaa:
I'm betting the squirrel scene was an unused clip from the US trip since, IIRC, that tree the squirrel was standing on looked like one that grows here in California. I hope someone could get a screen cap of it so we can get a better look at it.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I'm jumping on the "Kibe knows that we were watching this in a somewhat possibly illegal matter but didn't want to rat us out" theory if he looked like he knew and didn't want to say anything. I'm surprised that they even decided to show the international faxes if it might be a touchy subject for them and Fuji TV. But, at the same time, maybe they wanted to show Arino that he's somewhat of an international celebrity to gamers, especially after the US trip, and that we were rooting him on. :)

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
So much GCCX in two days... But, you can never too much of a good thing. :)

zari-gari posted:

My guess is they're okay with talking about international fans since the show got an official overseas release (though the videos weren't viewable outside of North America and they clearly showed faxes from Greece, Russia, etc...).
That's true. I have a feeling that genredleader is right in that they probably know that GCCX, like many other Japan-only TV shows (especially animes), has been unofficially translated and available for download without Fuji TV's permission. Fuji TV probably don't like the fact that they're not getting any real money from it. But, at the same time, it has allowed for a larger audience without having to pay for a license and risking for another Kotaku moment with a half assed translation that turned a lot of people off.

Plus, with out the unofficial translations, I bet Arino's meet-and-greet in LA would've been much smaller (I still love watching him walk in to all that applause andcheers from time to time). :)

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

This is not a common thing. I've picked up a copy of pretty much every game that might have a famicom adapter in it that I could find for $2 or less and had no luck at all finding one. If you're in a store you can feel the weight difference supposedly but I'm apparently not that good at it.
Yeah, the Famicom converter carts are going to be a little heavier near the bottom compared to ones that don't have them. Here's a guide about them that gives a few tips on what to look for when you're looking for one. I'm still in the process of trying to find one myself for my collection, but I haven't found any as of yet.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

zari-gani posted:

I put this together:

(click for large)

The attention to detail in that picture, as well as the US trip one, is astounding. I wouldn't be surprised if they're thinking about asking you to do more art for the show on a regular basis. :)

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I forgot to thank you guys for the train episode. I actually forgot that they made Arino get to Tokyo with continues after they told him that the time is up, but still considered a failure. Thank you for yet another great episode, Team SAGCCX! :)

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I will definitely buy the DVD now that I know the translation is in very good hands this time around. :)

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I was just thinking if the DVD sells well, could that increase the chances of an official release of Retro Game Challenge 2? I know the fan translation is still in the works, but an official release would be really awesome to get. :shobon:

Tupperwarez posted:

An "AD Field Guide" would be a great insert to have. Or you could be cheeky and call it the "GCCX Rogue's Gallery", maybe make little Clue! type cards for the staff members.

"It was Tanii, in the bedroom, with oh dear god--
I would totally buy a GCCX-themed version of Clue with Arino and the staff as the suspects, and the murder weapons replaced with popular things from the show like the pig they got in South Korea or a statue of the main character from Quest of Ki.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 29, 2012

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Poor Arino... That game looks loving brutal as hell and not in the "Super Meat Boy" kind where it can get to controller throwing hard, but still fun. :(

On the upside, another great job on SAGCCX's (or specifically, Nagoyan) part. :)

Vlaphor posted:

That "spell" he was casting at the end looked an awful lot like he was trying to avoid exploding in a stream of profanities. "Remember, you are the Kacho. Beloved by all for your friendly demeanor."
I don't blame him one bit if that's what he was doing. If that were me, I would've used every profanity in the book and called it a day after finding out that you need the sword powered up through most of the game and you restart at Kyoto with default when you die after that point.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

zari-gani posted:

This reminded me; stripping down to virtually nothing with a bunch of guys and rubbing his naked body on ice is something Arino did long ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYWJLwDCp7Q&t=5m08s

zari-gani posted:

Arino showing his manly spirit by attempting to crawl across the ice rink (mostly) naked and subsequently being aided by a man-bridge of course!

Here's part two, where he leap frogs naked over 100 naked men in the middle of a shopping street.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyGUUGpHtH8&t=1m00s
GCCX Arino seems so tame compared to Yoiko Arino. :psyduck:

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

zari-gani posted:

If anyone is interested, here's a 1680 x 1050 Desktop wallpaper of the King Arino poster.

Download link

ETA:
1920 x 1080: Download link
1920 x 1200: Download link
Thank you for these. This is one of the best pieces of non-creepy fan art I've ever seen. :)

iastudent posted:

Retro Game Challenge was waiting in my door after work today!

Kid Arino: "I never read manuals." Yeah buddy, sure you don't. :colbert:
I think Kid Arino is also Alternate Universe Arino where he's actually good at games.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

MaskedTai posted:

Have any of you guys thought about doing a GCCX styled show/event/thing of your own?
I'm not part of this, but there's a YouTube show called Retro Grand Prix that's inspired by GCCX, except it's more of a competition between two players either in multiplayer games (like Battle Mode in Super Mario Kart) or racing through certain levels in single player games (like Wood Man in Mega Man 2). The narrator is pretty bad since you can tell he's reading from a script, but it everything else is good for being low budget.

Gutcruncher posted:

But you never see Kid Arino play anything. He doesnt even offer helpful advice.
True, but he does give you (RGC story mode spoiler) the rapid fire controller for Star Prince, which does help unless you use the shield a lot.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

vkeios posted:

My nephew likes to watch Game Center CX, even though he's not very good at reading and just ignores the subtitles. :3:
I think that's one of the best things about GCCX. IMO, as long as the game isn't very text heavy, the untranslated episodes are still quite watchable. Obviously, unless you know Japanese, you do miss out on Arino's one liners, but you still feel the pain of him getting stuck on a level for two hours straight until an AD comes to the rescue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I'm taking a short Twitter break from watching the Mega Man episode (great job as always, guys!) and if Chrome's built in translator extension and my assumption is correct, I think Arino is tweeting about today being Inoko MAX's birthday. :toot:

Edit: I just tweeted a birthday message to him. I hope he responds. :)

Obeast fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Mar 8, 2012