Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Man, look at all these new posts, I bet another new episode got released!

....oh......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Bocc Kob posted:

Are you implying Arino is the type to go for cheap gags? :colbert:

He just wants to throw a ritzy party.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Heh... in the Tamage segment the announcer said that Arino and Nakayama were playing Super Street Fighter II. But it was actually the upgrade that came after that - Super Street Fighter IIX (aka Super Street Fighter II Turbo everywhere else in the world). Regular SSF2 didn't have the super combos, faster speed, or brutal AI (which forced Nakayama to start continuing). Not a big deal but you'd think they'd get little details like these down when they're showcasing games...

(also the subtitles typoed it as "Figher" both times... but whatevs, I know there was a lot of text to go through in that episode anyway)

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

GuidoAnchovies posted:

So I guess I'm probably the only person that watched the Genpei episode and really wants to play the game because of it. Even with its arcade difficulty, it looks like a pretty ambitious game with a really cool setting. I wonder if the arcade version has the same continue system as the TG-16 port.

Here's a full replay of the arcade version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxoJITf8zow

It seems... I dunno, a little less frantic than the PCE version? Hard to say when you're just going by the episode, anyway.

edit: I have literally no idea what happened at the very end of the game.

Shock Trooper fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Mar 3, 2012

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
AD Suruka

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

joek0 posted:

I just watched AVGN play this game. Looks brutal.

Indeed. We know Arino will better take this game in stride but I can't wait to see if he ends up getting screwed over by going over on the time limit if he finishes the game. (is this even a spoiler?)

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

this is a good title card.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Obeast posted:

Also, could I request a GIF of the part where it flashed the black and white pictures of AD Takahashi, her horrible drawing of a baby chicken Wagan, and Arino before he game over'd on the final level? That was one of the best moments of the episode for obvious reasons.

So tempted to try to get this down to avatar size...

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Putting in another vote of "Yes, please" for the last of the quiz episodes!

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Random Stranger posted:

You are all trying to kill me, aren't you.

zari-gani posted:

I was totally just kidding around with you but now I got everyone excited :( Sorry guys, I love that episode and all but I'm really not prepared to translate that one right now. It was a joke.

Well don't I feel like a dick now :smith: I'm sorry y'all, I'm always grateful to see any new episodes translated, so do whatever you feel like!

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Splash Damage posted:

What episode has Toujima blocking the sun?

Ninja Gaiden (which unfortunately means that it's not available for download/online viewing right now... gotta wait for the DVD)

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
IT'S BLACK KIRBY! made me laugh way too hard and now I almost feel bad about it

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Mister Chief posted:

EDIT: Gun Dec is Vice: Project Doom? Awesome!

Wow, I didn't know that was the Japanese title either. Great game, I don't thikn Arino will have too much trouble with it but for all we know it could end up being another two-parter...

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Box of Bunnies posted:

Thanks as always, team.

I think the problem is that everything goes by so quickly that even if you know the properties it's just an "oh, that's neat" moment before you're jerked onto the next one. Apart from Arino's little moments of reminiscence, it's just not a particularly interesting game to watch him play.

Agreed, I didn't really think it was that interesting a challenge either. That's the problem with long games, there's a lot of ground to cover so they tend not to focus too much on Arino's struggles so they can show as much of the game as possible. I remember there being some agreement in this thread about this with the Zelda 3 episode, too.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
God drat, what an amazing episode. What an amazing game.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Wish they'd use that pic every time they bring up Inoko MAX. "Oh, she's returned home..."

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Welp, that certainly was a thing.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
There was a lot of hate in my young heart for Mighty Bomb Jack from all the frustration it caused me. Maybe I would have had a chance at finishing it if I knew the 1-up loop :(

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Did the Tamage in Battletoads part 1 spoil one of the remaining untranslated episodes? :( Oh well.

I wonder why Takahashi Cardigan didn't tell Arino he could attack Giblet on the Rat Race stage to send him flying, usually causing him to hit a wall and turn around... maybe out of the fear that Arino would then try too hard to attack him, miss, and just end up wasting more time.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

ProfessorLoomis posted:

The worst episode i've seen is Sonic the Hedgehog. I actually got genuinely angry with Arino a few times, because Sonic 1 is just about the easiest drat platformer ever made. He'd have lost his poo poo playing Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

You can't deny the awesomeness of that demo screen fakeout at the beginning though.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Uwa! Zebious!

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Xik posted:

I haven't had a chance to watch this episode yet (SAGCCX's version with the Pokemon segments anyway), but which Pokemon game let you exchange hats? Is that really a thing in the series?

There is none. He's talking about a Magic Hat item that was an extremely rare item drop from a monster in Dragon Quest 2. He was envious of a co-worker that somehow managed to get two of them, and wished for a way to be able to "trade" the items to other people's games... so that kind of inspired the whole Pokemon trading thing.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

zari-gani posted:

That reminds me, I'm going to Portland this weekend and a long time ago a friend there showed me a nickel arcade. Just looked it up and I think it's still open -- Wunderland? I mostly remember playing the Paper Boy arcade cabinet with the bike handles and failing horribly at it. I'll have to go there again!

You may be slightly disappointed if you go to any of the Wunderlsnds now (there's 4 or 5 of them in the Portland area and one in Salem). There are almost no classics (certainly no Paperboy), it's pretty much all the usual recent-ish shooting/driving games and ticket redemption crap everywhere. There are a few oddball things here and there like Panic Park though (which was played on GCCX once, look I'm making things on topic again!). Most games are still 20 cents each after the $3 admission.

Seconding Ground Kontrol, everyone should visit that at least once because you'll find plenty of things worth playing there. Especially if you enjoy pinball. Hell, Portland in general may be the best region in the country to play pinball because machines are everywhere. There's over 500 machines in the area! Granted, they're spread out all over and a lot of them are in bars, but there are a few choices locations outside of GK that may be worth checking out if you're itching to play a certain pinball game again.

Although it should also be mentioned that this weekend is the Portland Retro Gaming Expo, which is going to have an arcade area of its own along with a lot of other stuff that may or may not be of interest to you. (or maybe you're actually coming to town for that?!)

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Nice to meet you at the PRGE today, zari-gani! I want a Wagyan shirt so bad :(

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
In the arcade trip in the Comix Zone episode, Arino and Tani were actually playing The Last Blade 2, not the first one. Kibe!! :argh:

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

zari-gani posted:

Nice meeting you too! You'll be happy to know I did not shell out eight bucks for Super Monkey Adventures.

These are the GCCX challenge games I did pick up at the show:

That reminds me, I saw one booth there that was selling a Super Famicom copy of Clock Tower for $75. Didn't realize it went for that much.

Amazon shipped my copies of Retro Game Master too (bought a second copy for gifting purposes), and even with the free super saver shipping it says estimated delivery date is Thursday. Woo!

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
My copies arrived today! Amazon's estimation for delivery with super saver shipping was Thursday, so getting it a day early was a sweet surprise. Been jonesin' to watch the Ninja Gaiden challenge again.

Also thanks to the team for filling in these gaps with the segments missing on the DVD episodes, it's great to see these for completionist's sake. In the Mystery of Atlantis intro, I couldn't help but notice that the first scene ended up being the picture they've been using to introduce Arino's Challenge for all these years.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

zari-gani posted:

I'm curious about people's opinions on the Shiren the Wanderer episode. Of all the challenges the Japanese fandom considers to be the worst, it's the first one to be subbed.

Really? I didn't think the Shiren challenge was too bad - not one of the best but certainly not one of the worst. I did think it was a little cruel that they didn't tell him sooner about the Melding and Storehouse Jars, but then again he wasn't really remembering to make use of the Storehouse Jar in the first place. Maybe they didn't want to subject him to having to play through over and over and slowly building up a powerful weapon/armor like Emoto ended up having to do. BTW, if nothing else I laughed pretty hard at Arino's reaction to Emoto making backup copies of the save file.

When people mention worst challenges, I'm surprised Fatal Fury Special doesn't get mentioned more often. I'm very familiar with the game, the CPU opponents in that game are incredibly cheap and will continually counter most everything you do. It was a sure sign that the game was a bad choice that they ended up having to change the challenge's goal because Arino clearly stood no chance at clearing it. Which also got me thinking... the real kicker is that on a Neo-Geo home system, the game does not give you infinite credits, it only gives you 4 credits. You use 1 to start the game, and then 3 continues. When the challenge was changed to beating the hidden boss Ryo, they pointed out that Nakayama had a memory card and he would be using that to advance the game to that point. The memory card lets you save at the last stage you reached, which effectively gives you infinite credits. No mention was made of the memory card beforehand, so one can only assume that Arino was not allowed to use it and was expected to somehow clear the game on the default 4 credits. Imagine if he didn't have unlimited continues for Street Fighter II - didn't he end up using around ~90 continues? Obviously Nakayama chose the game because he's a Neo-Geo/fighting game fan and there had been no Neo challenges yet (and he probably wanted to show off a little), but... the whole thing just left a bad taste in my mouth. Then again I didn't really enjoy the SF2 episode as much as other people seemed to either, I think it's just hard for me to watch people who are bad at fighting games and don't really show any improvement as they play...

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Random Stranger posted:

And FWIW, here's what I was looking for when I found that more interesting, loosely GCCX related video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N6Gjvn4B7E

Where's the excited "SUPER MONKEY DAIBOUKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!!!" announcer? Or did Arino receive bad info from that guy? :(

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Do not even ask posted:

I must be weird because the Golden Axe challenge was my favourite of the DVD set. Maybe it's because of Arino defeating Death Bringer being a very cathartic moment for me. Seriously, gently caress that boss.

I thought Golden Axe was great too, if nothing else I laughed really hard at Arino's attempts to translate the English. YES, MY ROAD!

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

zari-gani posted:

From Marvel vs. Capcom 3: "Firebrand is a type of gargoyle known as a Red Arremer. He will stand up to any threat posed to his home, the Demon Village, without any fear. Firebrand is considered to be an elite warrior among the Red Arremers, gaining him hero status among his peers."

Or did they not use the term Red Arremer at all? Been behind on watching stuff and haven't gotten a chance to see their Ghouls'n Ghosts release.

The Japanese version of UMvC3 actually calls him Red Arremer though :v:

Interestingly, Red Arremer was a hidden boss in SNK vs. Capcom - SvC Chaos for the Neo-Geo, and was called Red Arremer in both the Japanese and English versions, no mention of the name Firebrand. But the less said about that game the better...

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Obeast posted:

I can see your guys' points about why the Shiren episode is considered bad. I guess I enjoyed it because I actually learned stuff about the game that I never knew before (like the melding pot) and I think it's kinda fun to watch someone who doesn't know much about roguelikes try to play one. Plus, I still love the part after Arino dies the first time he gets to the final boss and one of the staff members screams like he got shot or stabbed.

I guess I didn't notice that scream the first time I watched it... ahaha holy poo poo that is fantastic. It's quite the delayed reaction too!

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Bocc Kob posted:

Paris-Dakar Rally was the greatest game I've ever seen on this show. :mad:

Yup. Paris-Dakar Rally Special is a work of art, I will not stand for any badmouthing of it!

Going to second the Dragon Power guess, I remember renting it when I was a kid and being frustrated to hell.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Well now I don't feel so bad about giving up on Dragon Power early when I was a kid (health automatically going down over time is something I've never liked in games). What a bullshit game.

Also, here's a fun fact someone mentioned a while back - that scene early on where Master Roshi (the Turtle Hermit) wants to see Bulma's panties? In the US version that obviously wouldn't fly so instead they changed it to Roshi wanting a... sandwich. Complete with sandwiches circling his head. Don't know what they did about the whole puff-puff thing though, and I'm sure not going to play it to find out...

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Arthur D Wolfe posted:

Still, at least most NES games got some proper cover art. Games on the Sega Master System were generally not so lucky...

My personal fav

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Yesssss, Chelnov! I played the arcade version a bit when I was a kid but I could never get that far. I loved the music though (I later found out it repeats that same music from the first stage for 2/3 of the game, which is fine with me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKps5qAvWXg

I never played the Genesis version until I tried it on an emulator many years later. It's not a straight port of the arcade game, they added a lot of stuff to flesh the game out, making each stage locale look more different. Sadly (IMO) they also added more music, so that wonderful music from the arcade only plays on the first stage. :smith: And although it's a different game from the arcade version, it's still very hard... unless you jack up the number of lives and continues in the options. I thought it was interesting they changed how some of the special weapons behave too... the homing missiles were by far the worst weapon to get in the arcade version, but they end up being really good on the console version.

They added more backstory to the intro and ending too... which I guess is good, but arcade Chelnov's intro is fantastic. Each screen is only up for roughly a second and a half though, which doesn't give you enough time to soak in the Engrish when you don't have a pause button. Go ahead and fight!

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Just watched the ep. If nothing else, I'm glad Arino hated that bullshit blizzard part of stage 6 as much as I did.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Putting a continue feature in a game and then only giving 1 continue total with no way to raise it seems pretty cruel.

Mondo!

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Super Ghouls n Ghosts having limited continues sure is harsh. Makes me wonder why they didn't just let Arino use the level select code to restart at the level he last reached, like in Contra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Heti posted:

So when all the episodes are translated and new ones stop coming out do you guys have any plans? Are you going to start translating a new show and continue operating as a group? I don't really watch anime or japanese tv but if you guys start translating a new show I'd probably give it a shot. A big part of why I don't watch anime is the obnoxious subtitling cliches people in this thread make fun of every once in a while so I don't wanna lose a translator group that actually gets it.

There's always the entirety of those live challenges!

(I know I know, it's not that interesting watching him fail stage 98 of Quest of Ki for eight hours straight)