Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

zari-gani posted:

I just don't want to feel obligated to do anything, because that takes the fun out of the project.

Chiming in just to say that this should never happen and I am grateful for everything you (guys) do. I am learning Japanese and you're pretty much my hero. If SAGCCX had/has a donation option somewhere I'd definitely throw some bucks your way so you can have a pizza or something and stay motivated :3:. Thanks for all the free entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I love Abe, he's such a great juxtaposition between bike-riding hunk and apron-wearing chef. He's such a jock, I wonder if he makes fun of the nerds he works with. :ohdear:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Yea I don't seriously expect Abe to do that, he's more like a big brother to the rest of the nerdgang so they can enjoy their games and he takes care of chores and good eatings'

Re: Live broadcast: When exactly is that going down and do you think they'd be excited to get a fax from Germany if I try really hard with what little knowledge of functional Japanese I have? :3:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Nahxela posted:

You should also include a bit in German or English that says "Do I know the Kachou? Yes!"

That's am amazing idea, also the German translation for 課長 is "Manager" (yes, the English term) or "Geschäftsführer"; Arino is my Führer alright.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Nintendo's stream just confirmed that there will be new GCCX Nintendo Channel episodes where Arino classic games re-released for 3DS! The teaser showed Kirby's Dreamland and Legend of Zelda.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

I'd love to have that swapnote and I added everyone on this page!

Devt - 1719-3529-8338

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

GodDAMN that game is loving annoying, I like when he said that he could only stand dealing with it because he has children. I would've thrown the controller against the wall half an hour into it.

Also I added literally everyone on these last two pages so if you haven't added me yet, go nuts.

Devt - 1719-3529-8338

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Just finished the episode. The game looks like, sounds like and plays like absolute garbage. I kept imagining AVGN trying to deal with this mess. Truly amazing stuff if only for how terrible it is.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Seriously, the game was terrible enough to kinda ruin the episode for me. It wasn't fun watching him struggle through this mess, compared to him working his way through a "legit" tough game like Umihara Kawase.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

It's a realistic portrayal of hell alright.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

9/10 it'll turn out the same as any other (V)LP and God knows there are enough of those already.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Taratang posted:

That was fast, thank you!

In the same "I've missed some episodes" lieu, I haven't kept up with this thread since March, went on Alluvion and downloaded every torrent up to the ones I already had. Did I miss anything or are all the uploads on there?

(I did keep up with all the DVD business and zari-gani getting all that awesome swag, just talking about episodes.)

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Well have all the episodes been uploaded to Alluvion or have you used other trackers as well?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Takeshi's Castle and Bomberman were released in the brief period we were using nyaa.eu for torrents. Clover put out their episodes through nyaa as well.

Thanks, I already had those and I am sticking with the SA episodes for now, there are plenty I haven't seen yet.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Clover has goons on the team and we've worked with them in the past on Street Fighter 2, Fatal Fury, and Punchout. They're good subs and definitely shouldn't be ignored.

Oh that's good to know then; I still have some 20 episodes of SA subs to go through but I will have a look once I've caught up with those.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Uh, sure...so how about that episode, guys? :yayclod:

Comix Zone is one of those games that completely bypassed me as a kid since I never owned a Sega console; there's really nothing more 80s/90s than a game with a single life. Also with regard to the ending: I loved it. I am a sucker for games with "bad endings" and seeing the girl drowned in the back seems like relatively harsh stuff for a game, even back then.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

Thats cool, but it would be cooler if you said what it was.

He's obviously afraid goons make up a huge portion of the rabid fanbase he describes. Seriously though, quit walking on egg shells, it's a bit annoying.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Does someone have a list of the Twitter accounts of the GCCX staff?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Huh, never scrolled that far down. I guess there is such a thing as a too informative OP, sorry for asking.

*edit: Kibe's account is either wrong or has been deleted.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

I am learning Japanese and I love you for what you do with the translations and the insight you provide into the language and culture, things I can't reasonably expect to grasp for years to come but can already familiarize myself with through you. I am at the stage where my listening comprehension is starting to pick up and I can make out words and parts of phrases and seeing your translation helps me immensely since it's at the same time true to the source and narrative enough to be entertaining. You couldn't possibly overestimate how appreciated your work is by me and everyone else watching the show.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

So the special airs in ~2 hours? Finally, living in Europe pays off.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Where can I download the latest non-subbed episodes? The OP only mentions a stream (which didn't work, or I tuned in at the wrong time.)

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Is there a reason why he doesn't torrent them instead?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

There was a period when they didn't hand those out to newbies; alternatively, you were able to enter a text-only avatar when you registered and could avoid it that way, too.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

I didn't even know there were 3DS challenges. Are these available permanently if I had a Japanese 3DS or are they rotated/made unavailable after a while?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

They're all on youtube.

Thanks but I am getting a Japanese 3DS regardless so I was just curious if I could see them there as well of if they're gone already.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

Which is exactly why I asked the question. Unless you're a crazy person and are buying two.

If you must know, I'm going to Japan next year and I am learning the language. There are a ton of great DS games that never made it to the EU, it is/will be the same for 3DS. Also they got an awesome Animal Crossing Special Edition we'll never get. :3: And yes, I own an EU one as well.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

That thread suffered from spergs doing every "challenge" that was planned to run a couple of weeks in a day and then making up new ones since they were bored; all of a sudden you had four running at the same time and no one was talking about the same thing.

Basically, it was a good example why GCCX would never work on Youtube or SA or with anyone that's not Arino.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

If you want to make one (and I'd like that) be very strict about the rules, about what games will be played and try to keep the challenge length no longer than a week. Also if someone suggests picking absolutely atrocious games "for fun", tell them to gently caress off.

*edit: Also you can allow people to make Youtubes of their runs but that might lead to insufferable LPers (and they're all insufferable) hijacking your thread because they must be the first and also the funniest, most random and zany people to play Ghostbusters or whatever.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Cool to hear! To be quite honest, the thread would probably work best with games that people actually have no clue about. No one needs the millionth run of Battletoads, but some obscure Famicom game could work well. Even out the playing field. The three games shown in every GCCX episode (the "198x/199x" segment) do include some titles that seem really cool but no one has ever played. Obviously it should be a game that doesn't require Japanese or has been released in the west.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

The good thing about using Famicom titles is that you can :filez: them without getting probated, so it doesn't have to be on the VC (or even have been released outside of Japan).

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

A table in this style should be a given, either as an image or code:

code:
Username	Game 1	Game 2	Game 3

Goon 1		  x	  x	  x
Goon 2			  x	  x
Goon 3		  x		  x
I'm not saying it's wrong to want to finish a challenge (quickly), just tell people to hold their horses on introducing new challenges (that should be your job; do take suggestions though!) The whole thread works on the premise that people actually talk about what they're doing, not getting bored and switching to their 15th Mega-Buster-only run of MM2.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Warning: I am poo poo at Japanese. "How can I win Donkey Kong if Taru [unintelligible]. That is some atrocious handwriting, I can't make out the first kanji at all. Chances are the whole sentence means something different since I had to guess on the other two as well (they seem to be 方 and 制). Or just because I am very far from understanding it fluently.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 21, 2012

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Shock Trooper posted:

My personal fav

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

What does the American version make of all the sexual innuendo in the game? I'm pretty sure puff-puff doesn't fly with the prudes. I have a strange interest in video game censorship, especially the differences between the US (Sex, Religion) and Germany (violence).

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Thanks. I'm so used to censorship only applying to violence over here (or rather, buying my games outside of Germany because of it) that these things always fascinate me. Someone should make a thread comparing the best (worst) examples of censorship in American games, feat. Link's Awakening's mermaid and her "ribbon" and why you can't same-sex marry in the US Harvest Moon games.

And while we're at it, why Terranigma was never released in America.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

I know what you're getting at and I am aware that there is no legal grounds for censorship (hell, just two years ago, SCOTUS decided that M-rated games must be made available to children under Freedom of Speech); I just enjoy the quirky nature of those changes so I like finding out about them.

Except for poo poo like "no gay marriage" in Harvest Moon, that's just pointless bigotry in order to avoid an (unwarranted) higher rating or other repercussions. Because legality aside, Nintendo wouldn't have made those decisions if they didn't have a reason for doing so.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Xik posted:

I wasn't aware censorship was the reason the states never got a Terranigma release. Surely they would have just changed or censored whatever was "wrong" with it instead of simply not releasing it. I haven't played it though so really have no idea what it's really about.

It most certainly isn't the whole reason; the game was released rather late in the Super Nintendo's lifespan and Enix had just shut down its US subsidiary. However, the game was published by Nintendo in Europe.

As for what was "wrong" with it (no spoilers, this is the setting at the beginning of the game):

Wikipedia posted:

In Terranigma, the Earth is portrayed as a hollow sphere that has both an external and internal face.[3] Since the beginning of the Earth, the external Lightside, the surface world, stood for growth whereas the internal Darkside, the under world, represented decline.[4] Over the course of billions of years, these two forces came to be called God and Devil.[4] Regardless of the inner antagonism, rapid progress took root and primitive life forms evolved to plants, animals, and humans. Technology and industry revolutionized the evolution, but the fight between God and the Devil was still taking place, more fiercely than ever. The conflict culminated in a final battle at the southernmost point of the surface world. However, neither of the two forces was victorious. The continents of the surface world submerged into the sea and the under world was sealed away.

It basically hits every note re:Religion, Evolution, Creationism, Heaven, Hell, Life and Death. You then spend the whole game dealing with all of that mess.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 23, 2012

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

I don't know if there actually was same-sex marriage in Harvest Moon. Maybe in the releases within the past two years? Aside from that, I don't even recall it being mentioned anywhere--I think this is more of a case of "we weren't socially progressive as a species at that time to have thought to include it in our game" than the "REGRESSIVES!" that it sounds like you're painting it as.

Yes I am talking about the newer ones; Harvest Moon Cute DS, in specific. I don't know if they kept the same-sex marriage feature in later games as well (and thus, if it was omitted in more US releases) or just this one. One thing that always irks me about these changes is that a lot of EU games used to be translated based on the US releases, not the original Japanese ones (I think this has changed a lot lately though). So if the US game was altered in any way, we'd get the same changes even if there would be no reason for them.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Hammond Edgar posted:

I think he meant necklace. In the Japanese version, Link helps a mermaid find her lost bikini top. This got changed into a necklace in English versions.

http://www.zeldawiki.org/Mermaid%27s_Necklace

Huh sorry, I remembered it wrong; as the guy above me said, ribbon makes much more sense. In the German version I played as a kid it was changed back to bikini so I never experienced it myself.