Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
There was one... Wing of Madoola, I think, where there were notes or something that were really important but went untranslated? If you guys do end up redoing the Kotak episodes, I'm really looking forward to that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
I also remember they showed the one where you have a car and can jump to move between different levels at least two times, but I couldn't name the episodes.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Joshuadel posted:

Thanks for the explanation. I'm of the opinion that this kind of localization is precisely what makes the SAGCCX team so awesome. Rather than give us a word-for-word translation (which would still be funny, albeit a bit nonsensical), we wind up with a new reading that keeps the spirit of the original joke intact. (See also: Out of this World and the hysterical "'Sup" moment.)

No, the 'Sup' was a direct translation. You're thinking of 'punch card'.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
I've always been of the mind that Fahrenheit should be used in manners pertaining to the human body (temperature of the air outside, body temperature) since as Cemetry Gator said, it equates to human tolerance, and Celsius should be used in labs and kitchens and whatnot since it pertains to water. Of course, I also feel like if you have to localize the names of the games and the characters you should translate the measurements too, to be consistent, but it doesn't matter that much.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

zari-gani posted:

This and that are different though. Talk about inches and centimeters/miles and kilometers and you won't get blank stares. But try talking to someone about Makaimura and Akumajo Dracula and Noko-Nokos... As for the stuff that hasn't been localized already, I think "Hokkaido Serial Murders" gives a better idea of what the game is about than "Hokkaido Rensatsu Satsujin Jiken."

Translation and localization are different-- this isn't TV Nihon, nobody's asking you to leave stuff in Japanese, but--

Wait, I've been down this road before and the conversation afterwards wasn't very pretty. I'll shut up now.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

abraxas posted:

Man this is probably the first (or one of the first) episodes where I really want to try the game myself, but only with that special controller. I feel like playing it with a normal gamepad or a keyboard or something wouldn't nearly be as fun. Too bad I don't have a PS2 :(

You didn't watch the Steel Battalion challenge?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
The character in this game looks familiar-- was he the one who was paired with the kid who shot energy blasts in Namco X Capcom? I remember the kid was from another game Arino's played.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Crotch Bat posted:

I may be wrong but it doesn't sound like "Bomb-er Man", it sounds like "Bom-ba Man", which is what I'd expect them to say as they always end up adding a vowel sound to things like that in English.

The usual practice if they want to end a word with a consonant is to end it with a -u sound. So it should be Bombu-man.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Dominic White posted:

I'm such a shameless dork. When Arino asks 'Is that a Zaku?' I immediately reply (under my breath) 'That's no Zaku, boy. No Zaku!'.

And then he says it.

Sign of a wasted youth, eh?

One does not care to acknowledge the mistakes of one's youth.

e: poo poo, beaten. At least I got the line right.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
I never did like the early dub dialogue much. Up until episode 10 or so they couldn't balance accurate dialogue that could fit in the mouthflaps, and it really shows in those early eps.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Obeast posted:

Yeah, he pretty much did from the looks of it, which is kinda surprising because I've sworn that people have said MM1 is one of the hardest games in the series. Yet, he didn't beat MM2, which I think is a pretty easy game aside from a few parts. :shobon:

Like many, many games in the SNES and NES period, MM2 was made much easier when it was brought to America. The American hard mode is the Japanese normal mode.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

I hope you're remembering to preserve those vital terms like "zaku enemies". Everyone who matters understands what that is...

It's 'zako', not 'zaku'. Zakus are the guys from Gundam. Come on, if you're gonna make a joke about it then at least get it right.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Well, whatever company Kotaku used for their episodes, that's what they put in. So blame them.

In the Ninja Gaiden episode? That was definitely 'zako'.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
I love them all, so I won't say 'worst', but my least favorite episode (at least of the translated ones) has gotta be SOS.

I definitely enjoy the ones where he fails a lot less, and SOS is the worst because it's not even his fault that he fails, it's just a terribly programmed game.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

This one was pretty rough on us given the nature of the episode. Doing other episodes hasn't been counted out but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

For example, is there anyone on this planet other than me that's interested in the Momotaro Dentetsu (aka Peachboy Train) games? Interested enough to watch an hour (or at least thirty minutes) of interviews with the series creator?

Actually, yes... now that you've brought it up that's something I'd really want to see.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

joek0 posted:

I talked about the Kotaku version being in the DVD a few posts back. Got no respones to it. Glad zarigani brought it up. Hope they add a DVD exclusive challenge. Funny to see Japanse reactions to Kotaku's version.

Oh yeah, I saw that but I got the impression it was more of a 'wouldn't it be funny if' thing, not something that was actually going to happen.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

pnumoman posted:

I agree; this is exactly why I vastly prefer zari-gani's subs over TV-Nihon's 'OMG, I KNOWZ JAPANESE, LOL' stuff. The point of localization is not to provide literal translations, it's to make it intelligible and familiar to those who have zero knowledge of the original's language. That's what professional subtitles do; they sacrifice accuracy for the sake of being easily understandable to the target audience. Literal translation subtitles are only useful if you're trying to learn the language; since the point of watching GCCX is not to learn Japanese, but to enjoy it for entertainment's sake, I don't want some stupid 'translator's notes' and an infantile insistence on the 'original' name when there's a perfectly suitable English name that people who have played the game in Western countries would know.

Yes, but they're alienating the people who HAVEN'T played those games; which, for some of the rarer titles, can be most of the audience. I doubt anyone would argue with translating the Mario stuff because that's something everyone knows (and most of the names sound like garbled nonsense to an English speaker), but when there's perfectly serviceable English names there seems to be less of a reason to change them.

Incidentally, has the dialogue in a game ever been changed to match that of its English equivalent, or do you always use the Japanese dialogue?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Uznare posted:

No "new" challenges, however there's 2 non-kotaku challenges on there, ninja gaiden 2 and shiren the wanderer.

Shiren isn't new? I don't recall seeing it anywhere else, though I might have missed it.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Nipponophile posted:

The translation is new, but the episode is from a few seasons ago.

Oh, never mind, I missed a few posts. It's pretty ridiculous to expect that there would by any legitimately new content just for an american DVD release.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

I've noticed, from both Macross and Star Trek the Next Generation (the bluray has the Japanese dub, why wouldn't you check it out) that they refer to the captain as "kacho" too.

I know about a third as much Japanese as I'd like, but I'm pretty sure the japanese word for captain is "kancho".

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

That's different kanji. 浣腸, not 艦長. Never heard of a homophone?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

zari-gani posted:

I wonder if it's coincidence that I decided to sub the Pokemon and Koei specials right when I was playing Pokemon Conquest...

Which brings me to wonder, how many people are interested in these other series-specific Season 1 eps: Sakura Wars, Momotaro Electric Railway and Derby Stallion? Not that I'm getting to them any time soon.

I'm absolutely interested in Momotaru Dentetsu and Sakura Wars, they both seem like games that Arino would have enjoyed and more importantly at that point in the show weren't too skill-based.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

The handwriting is bad and I'm 99% certain that the spelling is wrong too (they either misspelled Donkey Kong or there's something called Doniki Konigu out there)

Well my knowledge of kanji is almost nonexistant but I can tell you that while the handwriting is very hard to read, that's definitely a katakana N. I can understand how you might be able to see the first one as a Ni but the second one really doesn't resemble it at all.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Heti posted:

Is the nasal voiced announcer in this episode supposed to be mimicking something from the dragon ball anime?

Also I'm sure you had your reasons but the lack of actual episodes was starting to get to me so thanks a ton for a new one.

Yeah, it's been pretty dry recently for people who can't afford the DVDs.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't know, I didn't find this episode/game to be any more boring than other text-heavy challenges like Night of the Sickle Weasel or Hokkaido Serial Murder. For my money, the absolute worst/most boring challenge is still Famicom Jump. Talk about a game that has absolutely nothing interesting going on in it.

Even though I've mostly grown used to it, the Americanized names/text (I can understand not using the Japanese name for the Percy guy, but hearing 'King Onion' and seeing whatever his American name was, was pretty grating) bothered me again in this episode. I really don't think this game was well-known enough to warrant that treatment, and I think there's plenty of places to go if people want to see the American versions of games played but not as many for seeing the Japanese versions of things, but I don't really want to start another argument about it.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Err... just to be sure, there's no actual new content here (besides the translation), right? All the episodes that have these in are already translated?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

miscellaneous14 posted:

The issue people have with them isn't that it's more oriented towards viewers knowledgeable about Japanese, it's that the things they choose not to translate completely are totally arbitrary and serve no purpose to the viewer. Take that Resident Evil example I pointed to earlier (which they actually did do), why do I need to know that the Japanese version of RE is called Biohazard? Just translate it as Resident Evil and people will know exactly what you're talking about.

Except if they don't. Why is it important that the Japanese version of whatever game they're playing was released in America as whatever other game? Many people don't know or care about the American version of the game, they want to know about the plot and character names in the Japanese version since that's what's being played. If they want to know about the American version they can play it for themselves or just look up a gameplay video or something. Or heck, maybe they DO know about the american version and they just want to know how the japanese version is different-- ESPECIALLY if the American version was censored.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

quakster posted:

You do not seem to understand. There is limited correlation between what is being said and what is being subtitled. The TVN subs, you could say, are subpar, and I was poking fun at the fact that you and Son Ryo were defending all the blatant translation mistakes by pointing out that the "Japanese is good!" which has absolutely nothing to do with the actual supposed translations being complete nonsense a third of the time.

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I'm not defending TV-N's subs in any way, I'm just complaining about SA-Subs' known practice of overwriting the Japanese story and text on screen with its American equivalent.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

Do you not remember posting this?

Are you referring to "nobody's asking you to leave stuff in Japanese" or "I'll shut up now"?

'Cause if it's the former, I meant literally in japanese, like that o-baka-chan-tachi thing earlier.

EDIT: I hit post too early, there's a bit more coming

EDIT 2:

zari-gani posted:

I do put lots of thought into this stuff, because I find differences between Japanese and English scripts interesting and like to let others know what those differences are.

First I'd like to apologize if I might have offended you. I don't, after all, know Japanese, and it can be difficult to tell when you're being accurate to the Japanese and when you're using the original script-- it's a testament to your skill at translation that it can be hard to tell the difference.

Son Ryo fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 4, 2013

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

HoneyBoy posted:

What the gently caress?

Have you never been to a friend's house when you were younger and just enjoyed video games? Watching someone play a game is just as natural as playing it yourself. Putting such a strict rule on it is silly, games more than anything are for entertainment (fun) which can be had in all types of ways.

Okay, hold on, watching someone playing a game in person is completely different from watching a stream. It's totally impersonal, even if there's a chat, and it only increases with the number of people watching.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Vlaphor posted:

Aren't most eng subbed eps on YouTube now?

The whole point of having a collection is that you don't have to settle for Youtube quality, I'd think.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Andorra posted:

The segment is called "Arino's Challenge" and I think the show's a lot better when it stays that way. I don't like seeing them extend each challenge across multiple days or get the AD's help for large portions just so he can complete the challenge, in fact I'm fine with him failing the challenge.

Ocarina of Time was a poor choice of a game.

What's wrong with giving him another day if he needs it? He should only fail the challenge when he doesn't have the skill he'd need to complete the game, not if he's just running up against a time limit. Not that I'm disagreeing with you that Ocarina of Time was a poor choice of a game, but it's the only time I can think of that an AD has actually advanced the game in Arino's absence.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
I've been kind of hesitant on whether or not I should even mention this since it's not like you guys ever release revised versions of your subs but it might be helpful if this episode ever makes it to DVD-- at 24:28, when there are four bosses left, the subs say 'Six bosses remain.' I'm pretty sure it's not Kan's mistake either.

Wendell posted:

Man, someone should really tell Arino that it's possible to avoid attacks in Megaman games. It gets real frustrating watching him sometimes!

Yeah, not trying to avoid attacks is probably Arino's biggest weakness in games.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

homeless snail posted:

No, he definitely says 6 bosses remain. Kibe really hosed up big time on this episode.

I'm hearing 'Nokoru bossu wa yon-tai.' Yon is four.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

El-Bonko posted:

I say the obvious one, because I really want to see the ending of To Catch a Catch Copy. Such a great segment.

I agree-- (end of Mega Man 4 part 2 episode spoilers) I really want to find out what the game Arino had such a reaction to was.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

It's not much of a spoiler since Arino selected the game himself on the Christmas special.

Speaking of specials, would it be possible to make a note on the first post where in the show the specials and other episodes that don't have episode numbers attached to them should be watched, chronologically? It'd be useful for people just starting out watching and people who want to rewatch all the episodes in chronological order.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Just watched Tower of Babel. That ending...

It really pissed me off since he was doing pretty well and he was so close. If he'd had two full days instead of one and a half he would have definitely gotten it.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Andorra posted:

What do you mean by not available? Are there some episodes that the original can't be found anywhere?

I hope that's not the case. I'm really interested in watching Super Gussun Oyoyo, even though I've heard that it's a boring episode.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
As useful as hardsubs are, I've always though it's kind of a shame that SA Team deals in them exclusively-- it would be nice to be able to go in and remove all the name localization stuff that I personally find disagreeable while still keeping the essence of the translation, for my own use when rewatching.

I mean, I suppose I could still do that by transcribing all the subs and noting down the timing, but it's a lot more work than changing a few lines in softsubs.

Son Ryo fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
I hope it's not Netflix or any other streaming service, to be honest-- I intend to buy the DVDs at some point but I can't afford the $20 or so a month it'd take to bump up my connection to be able to handle streaming at any decent resolution.