Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

If I recall correctly the original Resident Evil is one of his favorite games of all time though, so it was not the best candidate for coming into "fresh".

Although, he apparently played Donkey Kong Country 2 until he "withered", so he'll probably be HORRIBLE at RE as well. DKC2 was probably the first episode where I was legit annoyed with him for being horrible.

Off topic, what are we going to do about nyaa.se being down? I was going to cherry pick some episodes for my sons to watch, but there's no working links on the site anymore :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Boco_T posted:

I got a few of the season 16 episodes I was missing from nyaa.pantsu.cat, it seems to be a replacement tracker

That was super effective, 1000 thanks man!

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

How does everyone feel about the Kacho when he gets a perm? I've been watching the untranslated raws since I ran outta translated ones and there have been a few episodes where I have just gaped at his horrible hair, lol.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

FinalGamer posted:

WELP, I guess I have to get a torrent client now, it'll be worth it only for this show. Thanks for all the work guys!

....uh, is there a good torrent client anyone can recommend or is that :filez: talk? I'm extremely distrustful of any torrents but I REALLY want to watch this show dammit.

You could always get a VPN service as well! Mullvad is only like $6 a month.

THANK YOU FOR THE EPISODE!!!

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I've always wanted to try the vinegar soaked squid. They don't sell it at my local Japanese super market though.

Was anyone else sad when they realized they didn't get to see the kacho play 88 arcade games? Wishful thinking :(

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I was curious about those squid at one point in time and I was googling about it. I found this video, it made me lol a bit, that guy looks so unhappy and also soooo awkward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIcxEk0dpnc

joem83 fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 7, 2017

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Whenever I try to talk to people about this show nobody EVER seems interested in it. Which episode would you all use as an introduction for a new watcher? I'd probably go with Battletoads, but I'm curious to see what some of you other guys/gals would say.

Thanks for the Minecraft episode link, by the way!

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Yeah that's generally been my strategy, show them the ones with games that they know. I agree that there aren't really many weak episodes, but there are some where the segments are excellent and I think that those make the show just as much as the actual challenge. For example, Arino trying to get Watanabe to squeeze in between the two crane games.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I've mostly given up on getting people interested in the show, to be honest. My poor heart can only take so much rejection. I was mostly just curious to see what you all felt was the episode that exemplified the spirit of GCCX.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I had the Japanese kid at work translate the oppai candy part of the Altered Beast episode, I just had to know what they were saying, lol.

I don't even know what to call it but the part where they draw Arino like the game, after the segments, is incredible in that episode.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

It's not up on the raws site for some reason, it was though because I definitely watched it.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

How's the AmiAmi shipping prices? I was gonna order some of that squid but they don't give shipping cost until they invoice you. I don't want to pay like, $30 to ship a $10 bucket of dead cephalopods.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

That phone stand I'm ordering costs about $15. EMS shipping is almost $19. Theres a slow boat from China...er Japan shipping option which will probably be much cheaper.

Awesome, thank you for that I appreciate it.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

How was the Dragon Quest episode? I was grabbing a few more of the untranslated raws and saw that I'm drawing close to it. Seems like it has the potential to be a winner.

Wish I understood Japanese, but after 230 episodes you pretty much know what's going on and they're mostly enjoyable.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

A little slow, but that's DQ for you. Especially the Japanese version, where you have to go through a menu to select not only an action, but the direction in which you perform it. :doh:

But I'm a huge DQ fan, so any DQ is good DQ. :shobon:

That sounds awful (the menus). I figured it'd be slow, but I was hoping there was something special/interesting/fun due to how beloved DQ is in Japan.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

lol, I'm pretty sure I'd have screamed if I was in his chair. I love the explosion of snacks.

https://i.imgur.com/Dgiv71t.mp4

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

It's from 232, Code Name Viper. There's also also an interesting interview in that episode!

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Yes! Thanks for the translation!

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

It took me until episode 239 to notice the little girl that runs away from the TV screen in the intro. Speaking of episode 239 (Densha De Go 64), why are they replaying that game?

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Kakaricho posted:

They played the PS version before, it didn't have the mic attachment.

Ah, I see. I only watched a few minutes of it before I finished up my lunch and since I don't understand Japanese I probably missed what they said about it!

Famibomb posted:

Wait until you notice that the power and RF cables are not plugged into the back of the Famicom and then you can never unnotice it.

You monster! It's like that Goldeneye box art all over again.

What's everyone think of the new intro song?

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Yeah I'm behind a season I believe, I didn't notice it until the Renegade episode.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Is there some sort of story/background to this that I missed out on from not knowing Japanese? If not... That was pretty creepy. lol.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Pretty sure if you sucked on the face of someones baby on American TV you'd end up having a conversation with Chris Hansen from Dateline's to Catch a Predator :cop:

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I have 3 children. The thought of someone doing that to one of them was truly horrifying to me, sorry! :shrug:

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

What was up with the Mega Man X2 episode? Did I miss something?

It was like he had never played a Mega Man game before. Seemed like he used the Mega Buster for most of the bosses rather than exploiting their weaknesses.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I don't personally mind the being bad at games thing, I think that makes for a more entertaining show, but I definitely do get irritated when he doesn't grasp things that appear to be simple to me. I also figured that X2 being his 5th Mega Man game played on the show that he'd have a better understanding. That was why I asked if I missed something, I was watching the untranslated raw so I wasn't sure I was missing something by not knowing what they were saying.

The 99 lives for Bowser thing was pretty silly, lol.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Did anybody else notice the return of Cat Machine's Johnny Walker? Also, that Supreme sticker and deck that they have in there is pretty random.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I'm watching episode 268 on YouTube with the auto-generated subtitle translation on, lol.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Here's a link to the Super Mario RPG episode! (untranslated)

https://mega.nz/#!6KhkWQCB!xePSqZyd1WOP22PEn-rG0O01fpG-kP8GV3qndORbbzw

Part 2: https://mega.nz/#!PGx0RaLK!SDVeaMx_J-FHgh0unuZ_vhhtRH_OM7voInqgJeNE5Tw

joem83 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 24, 2019

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Just thought I'd share this site I found, this guy puts up all the new untranslated episodes. I used to get them from gccxraws.blogspot.com but they don't really update anymore.

http://ngenerals.blogspot.com/

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Here's the untranslated Pac-Land episode:

https://mega.nz/#!rS4jwQjR!60h1BSdqPJCRpivduNBKuEzKVCl16lF_YsKJwz7cl18

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

My oldest has been on a GCCX kick lately and he told me last night that he wanted to try the squid that Arino always eats. I found the amiami link to the GCCX squid, but it's sold out, or whatever, now. Does anyone know a place I can buy some?

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Lifespan posted:

Any local Asian market has dried squid. It might night be the "thin strips around sticks" like on GCCX, but you can definitely find bags of dried squid.

Yeah I frequent a Japanese market for bento boxes every week but I've never seen the squid on the stick. I know he'll hate it, but he'd get a kick out of trying the GCCX branded stuff.

edit: If any of you GCCX goons in Japan want to ship it to me, I'd happily pay whatever it costs to put the smile on my son's face.

joem83 fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 8, 2019

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Kakaricho posted:

The GCCX branded line ended production awhile back, your best bet would be to get the brand Arino usually eats on the show, Gameba Kamuhodo.
That, or risk dated, dried squid sent from a stranger...

(I haven't seen it in months in any store that used to have it, sorry.)

https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E8%B0%B7%...6YBPEKABRCAEKHV

Right on, thanks my dude.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

GooseCanyon posted:

Game Center CX 283 - Athena [GooseCanyon]
Translation: Phosphorescent Skeleton
Proofreading: Kuishinbou
Subtitles: SpecsPL, Clov
Special Thanks: Bean

As well, special thanks to our guest subtitler SpecsPL, who provided us with the vast majority of the timing and typesetting for the episode! Expect to see more from them in the future!

But first, part 7 of our eye-opening look at… the bikini!
https://nyaa.si/view/1272798

Thanks so much to everyone involved!

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Does anyone here have the untranslated raws saved on their computer still? I decided last night to reorganize my episode collection (had some mislabeled episodes from an automated naming thingy) and also I was adding in all of the untranslated episodes just for completion sake. I'm missing:

271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 282, 284, 285, 286

The gccxraws blogspot doesn't have them and the links on Nigoli's blog were taken down.

Thanks in advance!

edit: Disregard! I found a torrent that had the episodes I needed.

joem83 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 8, 2021

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

Why did no one post this?

Game Center CX 325 - THE Earth Defense Force [GooseCanyon]

https://nyaa.si/view/1541187

Thanks for sharing!

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

There was another GCCX related upload to nyaa.si. It's not subtitled, but it still sounds like it'll have some enjoyable stuff for us non-Japanese speakers.

"Over a year in the making, this megapack includes high quality encodes of every unsubbed piece of GCCX media available on disc from home video releases, rental releases and limited edition bonus materials. These consist of DVD and blu-ray exclusives such as: bonus challenges, director’s cuts, extended editions, arcade trips, rental disc bonus videos, magazine bonus discs as well as a few HQ/HD copies of older challenges."

https://nyaa.si/view/1545698

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Season 26: Episode 9 (#345) "Turtle main character(s)" premieres on Thursday, September 22nd.

I feel like this is gonna be a good one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

"This is a machine translation using OpenAI’s recently released Whisper neural network (https://github.com/openai/whisper)"

Interesting, I didn't even know this was a thing. It would be extremely cool if it does a good job of translating and it would be even cooler if the technology was applied to the rest of the untranslated library.