Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
So I was at Comic Con this weekend and look what I found at a DVD booth:

Looks like I'm on the CXTrain now too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

Humongous Pear posted:

I saw people discussing the segment on NeoGAF and people were recommending going to gamingcx instead of buying the DVD, because "it was butchered." Even after someone linked Ray's article explaining the situation. :suicide: Oh well.

Wait I'm confused, I watched the entire first disk of the dvd the other day, and although it was my first experience of GCCX, I thought it was all fine. I didn't get a feeling of any weird translations or anything. Can someone explain what NeoGAF means by this?

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
Oh God I just watched the Wings of Madoola episode last night, I don't think I've ever felt so bad for Arino before.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
You know, been watching the DVD episodes, what was peoples beef with the Shiren one? Like I went into it thinking he'd be hand held through the whole challenge, but it didn't seem like anything worse then help he's gotten before. Like okay an AD got him a strong sword and some really useful items, how is that any worse then when they grinded him 35 lives in Mighty Bomb Jack?

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

Hokuto posted:

I watched the Shiren episode the other day and I'd say my biggest complaint was the first half. It's not fun watching Arino play the same 10 floors over and over again without any improvement, constantly being screwed over by the RNG just not giving him the Melding Pot he actually needs to progress in the game.

Ehhh... I'll agree with you there, the first half was painful

Meme Emulator posted:

Have there been any good Shiren-likes released lately? I remember there was The Legend of the Unemployed Ninja but that was a good 5 or 6 years ago.

Straight up like Shiren? No I don't think, however there are a good many Rouge likes in the last couple of years, like Grimrock and Dredmor. And for a bit less of a traditional Rogue-like there's Issac.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

PureRok posted:

Legend of Grimrock is not a Roguelike.

I thought it was my mistake.

There's always the classics thought, I could play Chocobo Dungeon like a million times. Also they're always making more Pokemon Mystery Dungeons.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
So me an my friends are actually getting around to watching some of the none DVD release episodes... And I have to say that the Link to the Past episode was really disappointing. It was more of a montage of Arino fighting the bosses then anything. I guess this is what I get for watching probably some of the best episodes from the DVD.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
Obviously the next time you tweet at Arino you have to use http://translationparty.com/

Example: http://translationparty.com/#10629120

or for extra confusion http://translationparty.com/#10629125

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

ReWinter posted:

I went to this and naturally the first thing I did was "He's stuck in a pattern!"

It got, uh, stuck in a pattern alternating between "He had been stuck in a pattern" and "He was stuck in a pattern."

I threw in "Arino try your best", and I got "Best of Shinya arino"... I think it's crazy it knew who I was talking about...

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
So a friend gave me the Retro Game Master DS game yesterday for Christmas, this game has so much personality. It's such a great little game too, it's really upsetting to realize that the sequel will probably never get translated and brought over. :smith:

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

victrix posted:

I realize that this show is, well, always staged, but that episode was really staged :v:

So... I love being the ignorant one, what do you mean by staged?

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

zari-gani posted:

Some people think the show is staged, others not. There's been arguments over this in the thread before.

For the record, some minor things have been shown to be scripted, like certain episode intros ("This is an NES game so I bet it'll be easy") and stuff the ADs say when they step into the scene ("May I play for one life?") or Watanabe eating stuff during arcade trips. Kibe's role is to think of little bits like that, as well as write the narration script. But Arino's gameplay and his commentary aren't scripted. The show leaves that up to him because he creates his own magic.

ETA: Spoilered just in case.

Okay, that's that I wanted to know. That's what I figured from the show, that they would have certain things prepared ahead of time, because well it is a show.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

victrix posted:

I haven't even looked at other japanese shows. After being scared away from anime a few years ago (what the gently caress is going on there?) I guess I made broad mental generalizations that I'm certain are entirely untrue about japanese media :v:

Ehhhh, you watched the wrong animes. Go watch Gundam, it's like the Japanese Star Wars.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

zari-gani posted:

I imagine they were quite popular. Famicom Manga Comic Cafe is my favourite segment and I think all those comics are as fascinating as they are hilarious. There was even a comic called "Game Programmer Takeshi":

It's about a kid whose dad buys him a Famicom and Famicom BASIC but no games, so he has to teach himself to program his own games.

There were also lots of game walkthroughs in comic form. I found a gallery of cover art for them (these are mostly screenshots and guides but there are some comic pages): Page 1, Page 2

There's barely any inside scans uploaded unfortunately.

Why does all this art look so familiar, who did these comics?

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

KoldPT posted:

<- actual TV-N subtitles.

Okay I literally JUST watched Zeta and I have no clue what those words would be.

Ninja edit: Okay rereading I THINK 'yatsu' is Mobile Suit but ya this be dumb.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

Cross posting from the gif thread cause it owns

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

Yeah, Mystic Quest was clearly superior.

Also, you're wrong and a bad person.

Mystic Quest owns. :3:

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
I wish there was a decent arcade in the Trenton, New Jersey area, but alas there is not.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
Just a quick question, if the show does get released on Netflix and it is licensed but they only release the challenge segments, will the SA team continue to release the non-challenge segments? I've found that I really like the arcade trips and stuff.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

Tewratomeh posted:

You all could also just download the SA Team full episodes now while you still can and archive them somewhere, on DVD or whatever.

Well I was talking about more stuff that hasn't been released yet.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

zari-gani posted:

In case some of the newer viewers missed it, a while back I translated a 2chan thread about worst GCCX challenges (with Shiren spoilers ommitted because this was before the DVD release): http://justpaste.it/yfo

I'm going to ignore most of this for 2 reasons:

A. A lot of them say Battle Golfer Yui was bad, but I thought it was actually pretty entertaining, especially when Arino played the ADs.

B. This guy:

52 posted:

52. Shiren, because [spoiler]. ActRaiser, because he was obviously in a bad mood. Fire Arino already and find another guy

Anybody who things Arino is bad has a wrong opinion.

EDIT:

120 posted:

120. All the Mario ones suck

WHAT! The Mario 2 one owns, especially when they bring in the kid and he resets the system. I couldn't stop laughing. I have to stop reading this I'm getting angry about my Japanese Video Game Shows, which may or may not be a step above getting angry about Anime.

TheWanderingNewbie fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 12, 2013

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

zari-gani posted:

If you listen closely you can hear some fun translations (like "ninja magic.")

Oh god I could hear it in my head.

~NINJA MAGIC~

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

Light Gun Man posted:

Honestly it's not as awful of a game as it's reputation, dunno. I'm not much of a fan of these particular characters but I do like the artist's previous work (Keroro Gunsou and so on) so maybe I'm less "oh god anime" about it.

Then I would say, yes it might be a good game. The issue is that like the Hyperdimension Neptunia games, while there might be a solid game under there, the presentation of the box and for that matter the limited edition stuff is ANIME TITS.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

Chaindive posted:

I agree! If I hear a game is really bad it's an incentive rather then a deterrent.

I've seen both the first and second game.

The first is a BAD RPG with redeeming dialogue and jokes. Not really enough, but good enough. There is a little fanservice in there but no more then any other Anime RPG.

The second is when Inafune joined the team I believe, he completely reworked some aspects of the fighting system and made the fighting not terrible. So the good parts of it shine more then before. Also it helps that the characters don't look like how they do on the box for like 95% of the game.

I have no clue about the Third game though.

EDIT: We should probably stop this derail thought, this is GCCX thread, not how Japan uses anims to sell games.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

This was amazing. Like such a great thing to wake up to and watch.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
Hey Random Stranger, I'm going through and downloading all the episodes to watch through them all and I have a few questions.

Any plans to make all the torrents come from one site?
Also any reason that the Yo Noid episode is a direct download and not a torrent?
Also any plans to make the nice big season torrents for the completed seasons, instead of 10 separate torrents? Just curious on that one.

TheWanderingNewbie fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 22, 2013

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

SpaceGodzilla posted:

I think I can answer one of your questions: The torrents are probably of individual episodes so that if one gets licensed/released in the west and becomes :filez:, it can be quickly and cleanly removed.

Ahhhh... that's a very good point. I never thought of that.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
So I'm slowly going through all the translated episodes, on season 11 now, and I remember reading that the cast of the show hated on of the ADs for oversleeping for an event and making a mess of it. Does anyone remember what AD that was?

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
So I finally sat down and am playing through Retro Game Challenge, all I can say is, I am really upset that the second game never came over and I really hope that now that they know they have an American following they will release the 3ds game here. I'm very tempted to import the second game from Japan though. To anyone who has Imported the game, I understand that there is in fact 2 text adventure games and an RPG but with a 0 understanding of Japanese currently how hard would it be to play through the game, I guess if I were to try to self teach myself Japanese?

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
Hey were the DVD challenges and specials that were translated every rehosted somewhere?

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

Rirse posted:

Started finally watching episodes again after having to abandon plans for a while due to limited hard-drive space, and almost got all the episodes and plan on ordering the DVD soon, but I have two minor questions not listed in the OP. What the deal with the newest translation group, Last Continue. Also how come some of the later levels have a segment about a old system but always starts with "The Ace of Hardware will not be showing up"?

Last Continue is just another Translation group, they've done a handful of the NC episodes as well as some of the newer ones the SA team hasn't gotten to yet. They're pretty good as far as I can tell.

As for "The Aces of Hardware will not be showing up" it's just one of the side segments that they do, they typically change season to season, the joke for that one is it's all Hardware and systems that didn't catch on, so no Aces.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

Apollove posted:

So what's everyone's favorite Nintendo Channel special? I personally like the Super Metroid one

I honestly really enjoyed the Fire Emblem ones.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

Apollove posted:

What is everyone's favorite gamecenter cx moment. It can be anything.

I'm probably going to have to go with this one, though it might be because it was my first one. Ninja Gaiden, after the first day of recording, after Arino and the 3 ADs have worked so hard to get where they were, they're all just staring at the Famicom and no one wants to turn the system off and lose all that progress. Eventually Abe has to turn the system off.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

FredMSloniker posted:

Does anyone have a link to the comic about the GCCX folks? I need it for Reasons.

http://imgur.com/a/ThDur there you go

Also does anyone know which episode this is from:

I know it was from something where they asked him to redo the reaction and he overdid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

I might have missed something in the thread but why is the resolution for this new episode so small?