Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

American or Japanese, this is my favorite television show by far. Hope you guys keep churning out those episodes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

You know, for people that are getting back into retro games thanks to this show, you might want to venture into our very own
Retro game discussion

and we have an IRC chat at: irc://irc.synirc.net/retrochat

Discussion of GCCX is welcome, along with chatting about old videogames and sometimes newer.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Amppelix posted:

Don't want to be all "HEY WHEN THIS GON BE TRANSLATED", but how high is Ocarina Of Time on the priority list? I'd really like to see that one.

Have you seen the Link to the Past episode? It's been mentioned that Ocarina of Time is pretty dull since, thanks to editing hours of footage down into 30 minutes (to fit the arcade segments and other segments plus introducing the game and theme song) they don't exactly show Arino 'wrestling' with puzzles or bosses as you would often seen in a shorter game like Golgo 13.

It's a good game, but just warning you, thanks to how they have to edit it, it's a dull episode to watch.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Please tell me that was all the title cards.

Link found the master sword and met Shiek, Link found the forest temple. We found ramen.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 4, 2011

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

I don't want to bog things down with moving through each episode and saying, "Not on the list."

Everything after episode 106 has a few strikes against it that make getting a translation slower. There's issues of familiarity and availability (though we've good good masters of everything now) that just naturally push them down the list. They'll be done eventually but everyone has other priorities first.

FWIW, I think seasons 14 and 15 are awesome and the only weak episodes in the bunch are Ocarina of Time and F-Zero. AD Takahashi really knows how to pick an awesome game for the show...

Maybe you could mention that the 'serious' translation movement has only been going on for... what, little over half a year now? We've gotten on average a new episode per week at that rate. There's just a huge log of episodes to go through.

You guys have done a good job of mixing it up with some recognizable stuff with obscure stuff that still manages to be interesting to watch (case in point, the two quiz games).

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Wandering Knitter posted:

I've decided to marathon GCCX in alphabetical order while I work on Christmas presents. Which meant starting on the 53 stations episode.

Teeeeeeen miles! Eiiiiiiight miles! :iamafag:

How many miles until Edo?~ Please wait for me my dear Momoko~

edit: Ain't that an octave too high?!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

is it... quest for ki part....... TWO?!!?!?!?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Corridor posted:

Naw, sorry but I agree that it's really nothing like Top Gear. If I'd seen the banner ad first I wouldn't have checked the last thread either. I figured it was like some kinda Consolevania thing, where they showcase games and give presentations on them and mess about. Instead it's a dude playing old games and sucking, and giggling about it while the whole crew joins in. And tons of nostalgia for being a little kid right down to an arts and crafts section.

Also while I like to watch TG now and then, Clarkson is a smug right-wing jackass. Arino is the most inoffensive dude to ever host a show (unless you're fat).

But they do showcase games. They give small breaks between the challenge telling about games on the same system. They also show off a lot of arcade games. And there's a lot more segments for showing off games like the Game and Watch segment, or Aces of Hardware. That is literally them showcasing games and presentations on them and messing about with them. It's just not the main purpose of the show, but it's there.

If anything, GCCX is just Top Gear with lovable, endearing characters.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

My first new GCCX of the new year.... from Nihon?
More arino is still arino!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

I suppose I should take the opportunity to talk about what's going on behind the scenes. There's an episode that's nearly finished with the translation that's a long requested one. There's three more episodes that I know positively are being worked on.

We're probably still another week or so away from our next release just because things tend to get thrown into chaos between holidays and the new year but there's more episodes coming. I want 2012 to be the year that GCCX is fully translated (and that's the line that made everyone else on the SA Team scream in horror from the thought of all that work :v:)

You don't get to take that back. That means you have to do all the live challenges.

(I'll donate to a goon cooling pad/energy drink/snack fund if they actually undertake one/more of the 24 hour challenges)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Silentman0 posted:

Serious question, why do people prefer Multiupload to torrents?

Sometimes their internet connection is faster through DD than torrents.

Sometimes they live on leased places where they don't want to risk torrents, even for uncopyrighted stuff. (See, apartments, dorms, school computers)

Sometimes torrents just plain don't work in general, due to their ISP or geographical region.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

You really need to play the game to see just how amazing it is. Just figuring out how to do anything is hard. And punching 30720 times hurts my fingers.

That code was obviously only there so Kenshiro could beat the game without having to play it.

ATATATATATATATATATATATA

Actually, the Famicom/NES Fist of the North Star could be a decent challenge for Arino.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

I don't normally do this but tomorrow...

You Will Bear Witness to History

Did you guys actually subtitle an entire 24 hour challenge?

(probably not, but maybe you guys are this insane....)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

irc://irc.synirc.net/retrochat

This is the SA IRC chat room for retro videogames. Lots of GCCX talk gets thrown around in there too.

Just reposting this to get more people to join in. If you don't have IRC, there are lots of handy built in extensions you can put in your Firefox or Chrome to use IRC.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

If everyone is coming out with their favorite AD I need more Inoue Max.

All episodes with Most Shocking MAX needs to be translated!

Edit: Is there a Inoue/Abe segment? This must be seen!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I'd love one. 1848-1758-7168

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

irc://irc.synirc.net/retrochat

If anyone wants to chat about the stream, go ahead and talk here. It's the SA irc channel for retro gaming and by extension, gccx.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

redmercer posted:

On a 1-10 on the weird Japanese pizza scale that's about a 3, tops.

See Gaki no Tsukai: Absolutely Tasty series.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Well I know who's taking my money now.

Was this an happy coincidence or do they know about your work fansubbing?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah, I'm buying the dvd or two and making some people I know buy them.
Also, totally preordering Retro Game Challenge 2 if they release that next.

I think I'm gonna break down and get those Fist of the North Star dvds now, after hearing they have good masters and the price is pretty cheap for a pack of 36 episodes a box....

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

joek0 posted:

Import GCCX ANC2 if you thinking about getting it. You won't regret it. Almost all the games are playable with no Japanese. The 2 detective games can be done with the FAQ at GameFaqs and Guadia Quest Saga is easy if you are good at the first one. Even if it comes to NA, the NA version won't have Arino's voice. I am going to import the first game, even though I already own the NA version. The english voice actor is horrible and I would rather hear Arino's voice when playing the first game.

Are DS games region free on the 3DS? I know DS games are region free on their own system but the 3DS is region locked inregards to the marketplace and games.

I'm importing this with my paycheck friday if I can play it on my 3DS.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Shlapintogan posted:

I'd like to point out that while Demon's and Dark Souls are things that aren't likely to happen for a long while, those games are considered to be spiritual successors to the King's Field series of games, which debuted in 1994. So while PS1 challenges aren't the most common things in the world, it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility that the King's Field series could show up on the show eventually. It helps that King's Field was much more popular in Japan than in the US.

In all honesty, that would make a fairly good episode. Everything story related might fit in 5-10 minutes and Kings Field is known to be exceptionally challenging. I hope an AD makes a model or map of a level too. Is there a good way to suggest games to them? Could someone mention kings field on the twitter?

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 1, 2012

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

I forgot Inoko MAX got to wear a cooling pad once. I don't think any of the other AD's had that privilege.

Arino also graced everyone with a cooling pad on his last gamble on the Korea trip.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

joek0 posted:

shrgnatlas has said that he had problems with the freshverse stream this week. He says he will fix the stream by the weekend or following week. He had the stream running Thursday morning just for GCCX and a few hours afterward. Also, the GCCX broadcast is on Sundays now.

shrgnatlas, or someone else that could answer this for me. Are we going to have the rebroadcast on the stream this weekend?

When you say the broadcast is on Sunday midnight at EST, does that mean at Sunday, 11:59 PM EST, we should get ready for the rebroadcast? (because you could take it to also mean 12:01 AM on sunday 'morning')

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Has anyone been able to talk with Atlas about a possibility of stream tonight?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Uznare posted:

Because it's boring as hell. There was a lot of discussion in the previous thread as well. There's just no way the editing can make it not boring.

Isn't the A Link to the Past challenge pretty similar? Even though OoT got two parts, I can't imagine it being different to how they edited LttP.

They basically show about 20-40 seconds worth of each of the dungeons, part of each boss fight and show some ganon stuff, along with the random overworld stuff here and there

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Command Ant posted:

This is my favorite one of these.

Slayers was incredibly huge in its time (AKA the 90's).

How soon we forget:

edit: Countdown to kirby....

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, that would be my guess too.

They rerun the episode on Sunday IIRC.

Of course the blog already has it available for streaming. http://ginfo377.blog26.fc2.com/blog-entry-461.html

Watching the stream because I could kill some time.

That's actually amazingly high quality, does this mean we'll see plenty of HQ releases for the later episodes once you guys get around to them?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

zari-gani posted:

Yeah, and to be more specific, I didn't take a break from the DVD to do these. I translated both Wagan Land and Night of the Sickle Weasel in January.

It was mostly timing that remained to be done right?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

These have been some of the funniest episodes that have shown up.

What are some good downtown stuff that's not just Gaki no Tsukai? There's so many of their variety stuff on gaki-files, but what are some of the better stuff?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I got the two terms wrong. I meant the Batsu games.

I keep forgetting Gaki is their variety show in whole so it includes a lot of items.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

makere posted:

Even if people were subbing it to non-english languages? (for example Japanese?)

There would still be reasons for a subbing project, even though you probably wouldn't need it to be subbed.

I just feel that Americans are more hostile with copyright laws, as in japanese seem to be pretty neutral/silent about sansubbing projects.

I wonder if there exists some Japanese forum like us, where they're currently translating Seinfeld or something into Japanese.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhV4whO0Xps

Well, aside from Jerry's voice, I think they actually did a decent job with the dub. Of course, it's got to be pretty difficult to translate such a jargon heavy show into another language, so I imagine some of those scripts end up pretty different.

Now we need someone to start translating My Neighbor Seinfeld, and have people watch it and remark its a completely different show than Seinfeld itself.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

joek0 posted:

I'll post the raw on my YT now will take a while to process. Will be up in about an hour. Any other raw requests for season 14 or 15 or the full raws for season 1. I have all the GCCX raws that have not been subbed on my YT channel from seasons 1-13 and 16.

I'd like to see him play Kirby's Dream Course and Metal Storm.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

You da man, I appreciate this.

Edit: few minutes in, I want to nominate this for next translation.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 5, 2012

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

It's been a little while so I thought I'd fill people in on what's coming up. Three episodes you're already aware of from what's been posted in the thread. Another episode in the translation process is a long awaited one that's one of the show's best (and one of my favorite old games, too). We've got something kind of funky coming that I'm sure none of you could predict (it's a first in a lot of different ways). And beyond that is something that even I don't have the details on so I don't even want to hint at it.

There's a deluge building right now. Get to higher ground.

So, we've got about a 5 episode deluge? The kind of deluge that happens only once a year?

I am prepared.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

We're not finished. This has only just begun!

Quiz episodes were still tougher on the timing side of things given the sheer number of overlays and how often they switch but this was much worse than a normal episode. I can see the translation challenges; the interview subjects are not well suited for television interviews.

Just thinking on it now, It's amazing how much translation you guys have done.

It's 100 episodes yes, but that's also nearly an hour each. Most anime actually only have about 18 minutes or less you need to translate.

So you guys have done the same amount of work as it has probably taken to translate over half of the 552 currently existing One Piece episodes. Or all this translation effort is the equivalent of translating ten entire different season/series of an 24 episode anime/tv show.

Amazing.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Not in the slightest. Besides being available for a long time (I know I saw several of the box sets on store shelves in Japan) the back market on them seems pretty typical for DVD's. I hadn't purchased any GCCX DVD's until about two years ago

The GCCX in the USA box set is almost certainly not going to leave Japan and there won't be any subtitle of the new material from us any time soon.

I think I'm going to pair my shipping on the DVD with that copy of Metal Wolf Chaos I've always wanted just for the full "America!" treatment.

Have you seen prices of metal wolf chaos recently? It's a expensive game to acquire.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Hey if you ever find a copy or two for less than 100 bucks, just do me a favor and hook me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Kirby's Dream Course

And a promise to someday have the episode where Yokio plays Kirby Super Star translated?