Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'll try loading some on the tablet when I get home and try it out. I guess I'm still from the old days where movies and Japanese stuff had the weirdest codecs on them and you pretty much needed the ultimate codec package or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, one thing we do is ensure portability of the videos. Mainly because it really annoys me when people use codecs that require that I use a computer configured specifically for them to play their videos.

Yeah threw on a couple and they work great. As nice as soft-subs are, hardsubs are just going to be the way to go with portability, since you rarely see something support softsubs these days.

I spent way too much time as a teenager hunting down soft subs for japanese shows, and movies, and also sometimes encoding them so I could play them on a PSP.

man,we've come a far way.

Now the only thing is, which you can't really help, is the video quality is.... not as great. But that's just an artifact of age and japanese stuff in general really.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

Thanks for the tips/info everybody, by the way they've gotta do Mystical Ninja 64 sometime!

They did the snes one if I remember right. N64 probably won't be as entertaining to watch but they could sing the themes.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

Link to the Past is the only bad one I can remember. There's just too much content in that game and they blow through really quickly.

But I really enjoy Contra. That's a great Inoko MAX moment.

I think super mario 64 was badly paced as well. It should have been a good episode like ocarina of time but the problem is, it's easier to frame and give context to a roadblock in a snes game, but in a n64 game, puzzles are up to minutes long and over multiple screens.
Ocarina of time should have been like a three parter for more content and show more moments of him figuring out a specific puzzle.

Minutes long doesn't sound bad, but what's the runtime of gccx? 50ish minutes? Lose ten minutes for arcade and another ten minutes for narration and discussion. Less than 30 minutes a show to display gameplay I bet. Now ocarina of time has one hour with both parts to show something like 8 dungeons and bosses. Less than ten minutes per major section of the game, including the final gauntlet.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 20, 2016

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Just out of curiosity what are those kinds of problems?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah I guess on this day and age, even minor issues on cabinets is not a bad thing when you have entire towns and maybe even cities that just don't have an actual arcade. At all. It's a dying thing and I'm sure it's better to exist with a few problems than not to exist at all.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

zari-gani posted:

This is all I can reveal for now (and Kan announced it at the book signing back in December which is why I think it's safe for me to say) but "Game no Naka" will be released here in English, and I'm translating it.

In my mind, I have already preordered this. Hopefully they'll put it on amazon as well.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

FWIW, I really like this episode. The game is one of my favorites in the arcade even though it's super hard and the episode gets interesting. I need to get Crazy Climber for my Famicom, especially if it comes with the joysticks.

Don't forget hyper crazy climber exists as well. Available as a japanese psx title and on the japanese psn.

We have it as part of our old ps3 game share.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Nickoten posted:

Well poo poo. How do I find this?

Buy the box set on Amazon.co.jp

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah I just finally tuned back into this thread after being absent for like 2 years.

Gonna catch up on the... I guess 12ish episodes I missed. I'm not complaining, just remarking that it really isn't a lot that I missed in those years.

I'll watch whatever you guys put out, I know you guys are all busy so we can't really complain.

What I am curious is, is there a documented list of untranslated episodes, and is the priority of episodes considering more fun/interesting episodes (like a game he really gets stuck on, or a great candy trip)? It doesn't seem like you guys ask us to vote or input on episode selections.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Sorry for the double post but if things have slowed down a lot, maybe it might be worth considering doing a new torrent that has everything untranslated and translated? I know the problem is they're still doing new episodes but isn't the last 'mega' torrent several years old by now?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Isn't Athena mostly noteworthy as she's one of the first video game waifus or something? You see her a lot on art. She's even front and center on the snk 40th anniversary collection.

The Japanese instruction manual is even almost like a small manga.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

WesY2K posted:

that was unfair. I see a big picture and think NEW EPISODE! :-D

Hah yeah I thought it was a new episode for half a second too.

You just know the episode cut title is gonna be a cheesecake picture of Athena with Arinos face on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Lifespan posted:

My guess is that the video output is cleaner for an HD broadcast. Is the Mother 2 on the SFC valuable like Earthbound? Since they give away the game, it might have just been a ton cheaper to give away the GBA version.

Earthbound is a bulk game in Japan.

I'm fairly certain a cart was less than 700 yen and was on an episode before.

Additionally they've given away more expensive games. I think one comes to mind is the 'biospark' (or something like that) Genesis game. They gave away a complete copy, that would have been valued at over 50,000 yen or something like that?