Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The most fun way would be to use an mp3 of Arino singing. Although that would require an emulator that used audio input for the microphone and for the episode to feature the entire song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

zari-gani posted:

It's not a big deal at all in Japan, where bathing together is a common social thing to do. Seeing TV personalities nearly naked at an onsen on TV isn't entirely a rarity either.

Speaking of which, it would have been very funny/awkward if they had tried to go to a bath house in San Francisco during the America special.

ponzicar fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jan 28, 2012

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The torrents seem like the best solution. Maybe sending the finished episode out to a small group of volunteers before releasing the torrent publicly would ease that initial bottleneck.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Off the top of my head, the majority of good games for the NES, SNES, and other consoles contemporary to them seem to be made by Japanese developers. I think western developers were focused more on computers at that time.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
That second boss in Smart Ball looked like it was based on M.C. Escher's tessellations. I'm surprised they didn't figure out that the empty space created by the bird's wings formed the outline of the fish. Now I'm wishing there was an entire game based on M.C. Escher's art.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Since the discussion here is almost as frequently about translation as it is about a middle aged comedian playing old video games on camera, I think Umberto Eco's thoughts on the subject would be appreciated by many of you: http://www.themodernword.com/eco/eco_guardian94.html

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The storyline for Takeshi's Challenge seems pretty funny as well. A violent drunk finds a treasure map, so he divorces his wife, quits his job, and spends his life savings to travel to a remote island to find it.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
That's also why the N64 game episodes aren't that great. There's better drama in the older style of game, where you can get to the end in less than an hour with perfect play, but becoming skilled enough to do it that fast takes a lot of practice.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
A game genie would ruin the entire point of a show about watching a middle aged comedian struggle through old video games.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
They should have sent a letter in with the secret word on it. Maybe the game is lovely enough, that nobody bothered to enter the contest, and they could have won something.

Or at least receive an amusing reply they could put on a future episode.

ponzicar fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 25, 2013

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
How likely is that movie to reach 800,000 tickets sold? I'd love to see Arino visit Las Vegas, just so he could do a segment in the Pinball Hall of Fame.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
So could someone name an American celebrity who is roughly as famous in the US as Arino is in Japan? I get the impression he is more of a "hey, I think I saw that guy on tv once" celebrity than an "OHMYGOD I'M YOUR BIGGEST FAN CAN I HAVE YOUR AUTOGRAPH!?" celebrity judging from his interaction with the public on this show.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Wouldn't calling them vending machine toys work just fine?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Much shorter than your typical JRPG but longer than your average platformer. Given Arino's proficiency at platformers (that is to say, none) stretching the length of those out. I'd say it averages out to around the same sort of length as if he were to challenge one of those games.

In other words, I reckon it'd be an alright challenge game.

I can only assume you played the Genesis version with such stunningly poor opinions on the game's aesthetic. Also, the weapons all follow a kind of cartoon logic that's extremely easy to interpret once you hop onto it for the first time. About the only baffling one is popsicles being a one-shot on the moving piles of goo, but that's not even a necessary or particularly important thing to know.

If you've ever seen The Blob it would make perfect sense. Cold was its only weakness.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I don't know how well the game has aged, but I loved it back in the day. Regarding the difficulty, Arino is making the game look a lot harder than it actually is. I'm a mediocre platform gamer at best, and I was able to clear this game 100%. This is one of those games that Arino is inexplicably bad at, since he's beaten much harder platform games in other episodes.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I partially take back what I said about DK2 not being that hard. The end game stuff is a lot harder than I remember. Of course, that still doesn't explain why Arino was having so much more trouble with the much easier stuff in the earlier parts of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Or maybe he does it on purpose because it makes for an entertaining moment on the show?