Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

13/f/cali posted:

Also I've not seen Top Gear but whether or not the analogy is spot on I like the idea of getting exposure for it by comparing it to a popular show.

It's not too much like Top Gear, but there's no other show I could think of that's closer to what GCCX is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Corridor posted:

Also while I like to watch TG now and then, Clarkson is a smug right-wing jackass. Arino is the most inoffensive dude to ever host a show (unless you're fat).

If anything I'd compare Arino to May.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Corridor posted:

Kotaku are pretty much the worst. I understand that other games/otaku journalists loving hate them for a lot of shady crap they get up to.

I've always heard people talk poo poo about Kotaku but never any reasons; is there anything specific that makes them poo poo?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mercury Crusader posted:

Brian Ashcraft, Senior Contributing Editor for Kotaku, the blog about Gamer Culture (tm), writes a lot of articles about how much he loves Japan and their high school girls, Japan and their little girl anime character figurines, Japan and their cosplayers that he wants to oogle, etc. In fact, if you Google the name "Brian Ashcraft" this happens:

Yeah, there's some stupid poo poo written on Kotaku (why's it because called Kotak?) but I guess since I don't really read many of the articles and just use it as a general game news site it's decent enough to get me the information with a clean layout.

Anyway, gently caress it, I'm glad they're rights are going up for GCCX.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hokuto posted:

It's never been specified beyond being "surprisingly cheap."

I wonder what it would take to get the show up on Netflix for streaming. One hell of a pipe-dream but it'd be awesome.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Grawl posted:

Made a mirror on my site, have fun! Would like to know the speeds people are getting, never really used the host for anything. At least it has a use now :v:

http://www.smokeordie.net/Game+Center+CX+058+-+Masked+Ninja+Hanamaru.avi

Random Stranger (or anyone else who releases episodes), if you want you can use my host for future episodes. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

2.1 MB/s; thank god, the other link I was around 100 KB/s and it would occasionally stop and towards the end the download just failed altogether.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dominic White posted:

We just need a proper, regularly-updated SAGCCX torrent. It needs to be public, too - a lot of non-goons get their fix from here.

I'd support this, what's the total size of all of the subbed episodes?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Someone has to be streaming this, right?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Paper Lion posted:

I want this as an avatar so badly. I NEED this.

Good?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wait, he has to get a high enough score on all three challenges in one go to beat this? I haven't played this terrible game in forever but god drat.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Paper Lion posted:

It'll have to do! I forget the context on that face and if him actively making it would be a better gif avatar but chances are that's as good as it gets. Thanks a ton!

I released it's not quite centered, if you want I'll center it better and/or resize it.

Obeast posted:

Pretty much. As Kan would say, it's a cruel system.

Brutal. I don't know if he's going to make it through since this is the case.

It's about 5 in the morning in CA, I'm assuming this is going to wrap up sometime soon? I'd hate to miss some of it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'll be sleeping through the end of it.

Paper Lion posted:

Actually, if it's not too much trouble maybe centering it would be good...though again, if you think it would look better as a gif later then I might wait on it till a gif can be made. I forget if just the face is funny or if him making the face was just as good :v:

Recentering it will be easy enough, so you can hold onto it if no one makes the .gif.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Had to knock out and slept through the rest of the stream; time to watch the archived stuff.

Oh, and the avatar for the goon that wanted it, recentered:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Just got to the part with Zari's gifts; that loving owns. Congrats.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's a shame they picked such a horrible and repetitive game for this. I'm skipping through all of the gameplay parts and just checking for major sections and watching an attempt or two every 10 minutes. And watching any of the side stuff they're doing.

What a bad game.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Crotch Bat posted:

FujiTV - cares a lot about this stuff, would frown upon mentioning on camera of people illegally watching/streaming the show

Well it's not licensed here so it's not illegal, so I can't see FujiTV really caring.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Son Ryo posted:

You didn't watch the Steel Battalion challenge?

This episode had me scouring eBay for a week trying to win this god drat game (and it's controller) and I don't even have an Xbox. Didn't go higher than $150 but the auctions always did, people will pay a lot for it and it makes me sad since I'll probably never play it. :(

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nipponophile posted:

The game retailed for $200 when it was still in print, and it was a fairly small run, so you shouldn't expect to find it dirt cheap anywhere. I paid something like $230 for my copy. On the plus side, if you do pick one up, you should be able to get an Xbox for pretty cheap these days.

Please tell me the game is as glorious to play as it looks.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Random Stranger posted:

It is incredibly awesome. And it plays really well; they're not just getting by on the controller gimmick.

If only Nintendo could learn from this! :downsrim:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

sturgeon posted:

I'd keep an eye on Ebay. There are definitely periods in which SB's price drops. I sold my copy on Ebay a few years ago for about $80 shipped because I needed the cash and that was the going price at the moment.

drat that was a steal for whomever bought it; I have to pick this up and experience it first hand one of these days. I wish that controller had more than that single use though. Oh well.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Will these be available digitally through Amazon or something too? I hate physical discs, but if that's the only option I'll probably just get it anyway.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'd hold back on all of the smilies.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Just being cautious, I've seen probations handed out for less.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wandering Knitter posted:

I showed my brother Game Center CX and he didn't like it at all. His only comment was "I can't watch this! He's so BAD at these games!"

I don't think he got it. :(

I can't blame him, a lot of the times it's a tad frustrating watching Arino never learn and make some really dumb mistakes. It's great seeing him persevere, but I find myself asking "Really? You really hosed that up right now?" when I watch.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

zari-gani posted:

Christ this is terrifying.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Random Stranger posted:

But if you do want them on PC they're on sale from Amazon this week even cheaper. And their version includes Toe Jam and Earl 1 and 2.

Do you know if these activate on Steam? Amazon usually says something about it in the item description but I don't see anything. My OCD likes everything to be linked to Steam.

perianwyr posted:

And now when I hear that, all I can hear is MC Chris rapping about getting high on cough syrup.

Hahah, this owns, the 'Tussin'! The Tussin'! Now I know where it's sampled from.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Random Stranger posted:

They do not activate on steam.

Quite the shame, might just pick them up for the hell of it anyway. Thanks.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ledneh posted:

What just happened here? :psyduck:

Yeah, my mind just fried itself.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

zari-gani posted:

Probably because it sells so well. Groups like C-ute disturb me the most; those girls are reaaally young (average age of 13), and their audience is nothing but adult dudes (as indicated in the video I linked to)... At the same time, little girls love them and want to be like them.

I'm going to vomit. What the gently caress is this poo poo.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Crotch Bat posted:

It's not like there aren't thousands of creepy pedos or borderline pedos who weren't following Britney or Christina or Jessica's every move a decade or so ago,

I don't think any of their concerts were filled exclusively with middle-aged men. C-ute seems to be marketed towards that demographic.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Allen Wren posted:

Sweet screaming gently caress. Why is this poo poo what people talk about and not real Japanese bands like Boris or Polysics or YMO or Boredoms or Potshot etc etc etc

Because people aren't listening to AKB48 for the music. Actually, I have a friend on Facebook who does, but she's a complete sperg for the band and all things Japanese.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Vertigus posted:

I was going through some of my pictures and found this screencap I took of a game show that Arino appeared on:

:stare: What the hell is going on here?

edit: And there's the answer.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Doc Hawkins posted:

What're everyone's votes for the best episodes for getting people hooked?

None. None of my friends cared for the show after watching it. :smith:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

zari-gani posted:

The Kotaku 12/DVD episodes are exactly the same as the Japanese DVD episodes -- challenges only, with some music changes. The DVD releases in Japan are cut like that to begin with. Even in Japan, they can't release a lot of stuff on DVD due to legal reasons.

That's a drat shame. I always liked the trip reports. :(

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Well god drat, they loving nailed it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I didn't see it as being "hard" to watch, but hard to follow the game, I had no idea how Arino got to the conclusions he did or why any of the endings happened.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ninja Gaiden? I can't see him even scratching the surface...

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Crotch Bat posted:

I mean, I feel confident if you took an American to Tokyo and told him to guess what the name of that huge mountain off in the distance, a lot of people would say Fuji, just because it's the one most spoken of mountain in Japan and easily the one you're most likely to have heard over here in the media or in a book.

Isn't it?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

the least weasel posted:

Just got around to watching this but I was wondering if there's a plan to translate the actual game segments as well or will you only do the birthday stuff? I thought the game looked pretty interesting.

It's really not; Pilotwings is a horrible game and just incredibly tedious. There's really no highlights of his play (and I watched most of the marathon) because it's hard for him (or anyone really) to judge his height from the ground and he constantly has to restart and redo challenges due to the stupid way in which the game progresses. I honestly would say it's the most boring game he's played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Random Stranger posted:

I don't know if I'd go that far. There's a few others I'd complain about...

I haven't watched all of the episodes, so there might be some worse ones, but Pilotwings is a marvelous piece of poo poo and the worst game they could have picked for huge challenge.