Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
This is a great show for anyone who has fond memories of banging their heads against impossible retro games, and the fantastic SAGCCX team deserves endless praise for making it available to non-speakers. I've watched every episode you've put out and I can't thank you guys enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Random Stranger posted:

FWIW, I think seasons 14 and 15 are awesome and the only weak episodes in the bunch are Ocarina of Time and F-Zero. AD Takahashi really knows how to pick an awesome game for the show...

What's weak about the Ocarina episode? It's one I've wanted to see.

For that matter, I always enjoy the episodes of games I played myself more, but I think that's just because I remember them fondly. Seeing Arino have trouble with an obstacle I remember being tough is fun viewing.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
Oh, I don't know how I missed that. Thanks! That is pretty disappointing, and probably why by and large they stick to older games. The whole "shorter, but with length from difficulty" suits the nature of the show a lot better, I guess.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
The new episode was great, it had a nicely different feel from the televised challenges. Seemed like they let Arino ramble about unrelated stuff a bit more here, which is nothing bad since he's, you know, a comedian. Torrent was a fine distribution method for me, I'll try to seed this and any future releases you provide a torrent for.

Related, I just ordered a copy of Retro Game Challenge from Amazon. Random Stranger mentioned this about a week back and there's still two or three copies available there for only fifteen bucks. Glad I could buy this new; I found out about the show so long after the game came out. Hopefully the game has some of the show's magic.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
I got my copy of the DS game in today, and I'm having a lot of fun with it so far. It would be totally bewildering if I wasn't a fan of the show, but, well, I am, so the references come through decently well even translated. Kid-Arino chewed me out for reading the manual before I got stuck...

The Amazon page is just showing them to be in stock, not almost out of copies anymore, but the price is still only $15, so if you're on the fence you should go for it! It really is a lot of fun.

P.S.: I shooted so many asteroids.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

absolutely anything posted:

Speaking as someone who played Retro Game Challenge before I even knew what this show was, it totally works if you have no knowledge of the show too. It's just a really great game period.

You're absolutely right. The quality of the games in there is really high and they're a blast to play. What I meant was that the trappings of the game (a digitized Arino forcing you to play classic games) would be really confusing to someone who wasn't aware it was based on a show. But then... tons of games have strange premises, so this isn't really out of the ordinary at all I guess!

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Wendell posted:

What odd design choices? What bugs? What NES game doesn't suffer from slowdown at times? Megaman 3 was not rushed (good Rush joke though), it was given a proper development cycle after the team built Megaman 2 in their spare time to prove it was viable.

Keiji Inafune posted:

"I knew that if we had more time to polish it, we could do a lot of things better, make it a better game, but the company said that we needed to release it. The whole environment behind what went into the production of the game is what I least favored. Numbers one and two – I really wanted to make the games; I was so excited about them. Number three – it just turned very different."

That's Inafune in a 2007 interview in Nintendo Power, at least according to Wikipedia. The joke works on multiple levels!

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Anime Reference posted:

JP Megaman 2 is the same as US Megaman 2 on Difficult, so it's quite a bit harder than the game you played as a kid.

This is true enough, and the JP version didn't have a difficulty setting at all, but Megaman 2 on difficult is still usually considered the easiest game in the classic series.

I haven't watched the MM2 episode in forever but the reason MM2 is the easiest is because there are several really good boss weapons even in addition to the obvious Metal Blade shenanigans, so if Arino didn't use them much that would make it a lot harder on him.

edit: That's also a super early episode so maybe he just got better at vidyagames? :shrug:

ReWinter fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 21, 2012

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Edison Carter posted:

Want your mind blown? Compuserve (for anyone old enough to remember it) still exists in Japan, under their Japanese name Niftyserve. It's probably been bought and sold half a dozen times in the past 20 years, but the fact that brand still exists anywhere still baffles me.

There's a lot of stuff you hear both in and out of this thread that can make you think "Wow, Japan sure is different than the West" but nothing has hammered it home for me like that.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Enentol posted:

But then they couldn't say that it was a miracle-play timing masterstroke.

I guess miracles are relative to their worker. This is early, early Arino we're talking about here. I can see taking out Iggy being a miracle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

TheWanderingNewbie posted:

Obviously the next time you tweet at Arino you have to use http://translationparty.com/

Example: http://translationparty.com/#10629120

or for extra confusion http://translationparty.com/#10629125

I went to this and naturally the first thing I did was "He's stuck in a pattern!"

It got, uh, stuck in a pattern alternating between "He had been stuck in a pattern" and "He was stuck in a pattern."