Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I love it when glitches happen in GCCX.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So is this the first time Arino had to Restart through no fault of his own?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 15, 2011

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Really, it's appreciated, but TV Nihon a very low third (as in, very close to the red bar of KOTAK) in the pantheon of GCCX localization.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
KOTAK got thier licence yanked? (Must have, given the standard for licences is two years at least). Great, couldn't have happened to a better bunch of guys, honestly.

Seriously, they made 4Kids look like geniuses in comparison.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Plasquatch posted:

Point taken. Glad to find out that my "misplaced" disappointment was actually spot-on. (Seriously, though. "One of the lives?" Bull.) Still not worth derailing the entire thread, though...

This does leave me with a couple of questions:

1. What was StyleJam's approach to the episodes?

2. Which version was shown at the New York Asian Film Festival back in 2008?

1. Think what KOTAK were doing, only with someone who isn't talking as if he's reading a script that's been translated from Japanese with bablefish.

2. Stylejam's

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

redmercer posted:

Play through some of the early (hell, some of the LATER) Sierra adventure games and say that again. Ain't nobody got a dick move monopoly in games.
Look at Nintendo's Localisation practices and tell that to me with a straight face.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Wait, SAGCCX? I've been labelling your subs as "[Team SA]" all this time :psyduck:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Maybe not, the other hosts didn't have a direct way of streaming anything.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

univbee posted:

:eng101: In case, anyone's wondering with the symbol on the "wizard's" forehead, the swastika with the opposite directionality of the Nazi symbol is prevalent in Asian countries including Japan to represent eternity and buddhism; you often see it on maps to show where a buddhist temple is, like how we'd use a cross. Of course, that doesn't make the sequence of errors leading to a white-hooded villain having it on his cap any less hilarious.

The Pokémon TCG had a similar issue with one card if memory serves.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So basically, this is "GCCX 24 - Lemmings : The Something Awful cut"?

Because if so, that's bloody amazing.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Ha, my GCCX folder is 35gb of one man playing a lot of video games.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

I have something important to say so listen up:

Kotaku's license has not expired.

This has been confirmed. My earlier statement was wrong. The Kotaku 12 are still off limits as :filez:.

Yeah, it strikes me they would probably drag their poo poo out for as long as possible if only to inconvenience anyone else.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Did I chose a moment to walk in on this; Looks like Return of Revenge of Counterattack of Last Pilotwings from where I'm standing.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
When did Arino chase squirrels?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
They pulled a Brooker!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

shrgnatlas posted:

5:00 AM? Better make a pizza.
Like anyone didn't do that at one point in their student days.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That was a shame, he was so close too. Ah well, can't win them all, I guess.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 24, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'd be happy with the silent comradery if the alternative is Fuji TV getting up on our arses and trying to force feed us the KOTAK version.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Daft Question; is she still on the show?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Guess who Discotek Media is hiring to re-translate all the episodes.

:j:

Mam, if I could break the laws of physics to get the DVDs sooner by christ I would.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
This is the best news. It's easily the best way for GCCX to get out there (outside of TV but that's probably a far way off if ever. Could totally see Challenge try it though) and buying DVDs is a far easier (and simpler for non US fans, DVD regions are downright easy to break) way of showing support.

And zari-gani is re-translating? Seriously, all of my money, have it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Also, I'd be very surprised if UK Based anime importers like UP1 don't stock it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Honestly; there's only one word to sum up this Challenge; "KYOTO?!"

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Vlaphor posted:

That "spell" he was casting at the end looked an awful lot like he was trying to avoid exploding in a stream of profanities. "Remember, you are the Kacho. Beloved by all for your friendly demeanor."

He was certainly starting to loose it towards the end what with the Kyoto thing and all.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

There is no ending. You just keep going back to Kyoto.
Really? I think Arino's psyche would have snapped in two if he ever found that out to be the case.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 3, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Spincut posted:

Funny, I was thinking about this exact thing while watching the latest episode. It would be cool to do a GCCX-type thing that showcased only difficult Western games (the original TMNT for the NES came to mind, for instance). It would be difficult to set up but I think it'd be fun to do.
Quick! Get Fuji TV, Brian Crecente and Dominik Diamond (To be the Narrator) on the line! We have magic to make!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

jyrque posted:

I've made a mental note to own this game one day. It's a soccer RPG with kickass cutscenes for special kicks.

In the intermediately, there's always Inazuma Eleven and it's sequel which are both out in english.

Basically that for the DS with an extra strong whack of pokemon trade and collect for good measure.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 4, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I could watch the cold opening to the Dragon Buster episode all day. It plays like some sort of demented British Comedy Skit.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's kinda amusing that with seven minutes, Arino's fallen victim to a good number of the flaws the AVGN brought up.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ChibiSoma posted:

For those unfamiliar with the wonderful game Arino's staring down this time, turn your attention to this new speedrun of the game. It comes with built-in commentary on audio track 2, so you can get an in-depth look at what's in store for our chief.

Hint: Magic. It will be magical.

I'm gonna say Arino dies at least a few times from getting the Zzzz head that makes you fall asleep on the spot.

I was under the impression you could cancel that. Not like the Miss Head which is only there to waste time and cut your HP in half.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 19, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Say, Daft Question, Zari but in the Discoteck disks do the translations use the US or Japanese names for chracters?

Say, hypothetically, they were going to release the Dynamite Heady episodes, would they use Trouble Bruin or Maruyama?

Or is it all very much, "time of poke"?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just watched the Dynamite Headdy episodes. Megadrive games like to crap out on Arino, don't they?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Snot Man posted:

I think the Waste of Color segment's premise is just an excuse to have Arino play some Game Boy games, like with the Game and Watch segment and its sale gimmick. But has Arino ever tackled a portable game in an actual challenge?

It would be cool seeing him play something like Metal Gear: Ghost Babel or the Wario Land series. Or maybe they draw the line at making an entire episode out of sub-NES black-and-white graphics with a "SUPER GAME BOY" frame.

A good 75% of the Gameboy games that would make good challenges had Super Game Boy borders so it's not a total bust.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

joek0 posted:

Loved that scene from the Bonanza Brothers episode.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVYZySib4kM

I'm really sorry.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm kinda supprised about how well the timing went with the SWCHING sound effect and the Title Transition

Also, I'm Scottish.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Tewratomeh posted:

I don't know why anybody'd be excited for that. They'd probably have a lovely translator and it'd mean that, legally, all of the well-subbed videos linked in the thread would have to be taken down. They'd probably also cut the time down to fit into Adult Swim's 15-minute-block format, so no more field reports!

At least it would probably be better than what KOTAK farted in five minutes in Adobe Premier

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Dominic White posted:

CNX was brilliant... for a time. And then they started filling the late-night slots with Sports Illustrated Bikini Time or whatever the gently caress it's called, and it was all downhill from there. It shut down not too long after that.

Around the same time the UK Sci-fi channel was experiencing a similar collapse, changing from a genuinely cool channel that put experimental stuff on at night, and had the balls to air Evangelion on sunday mornings. No joke. And then they stopped showing weird and edgy sci-fi at night, and instead started on Emmanuel: The Series.

And now they're called Syfy and suck. It's genuinely depressing to remember the peak of satellite TV like that.
Yeah, honestly I've given up on TV now. I mean if Disney XD can't do something as relatively simple as air Inazuma Eleven without screwing it up (Yeah, one month, thanks guys, really) then I have no faith in such a system.

Netflix for me all the way.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Because they were able to go to the US thanks to the show being finally released overseas on Kotaku. The trip was made to see if the Kotaku run created an American fanbase. It makes sense to show the Japanese fans what the American fans were getting.

ETA: The hint for the next episode is "Gan____" which can also be read as "Gun____".
A Gundam Game, Maybe.

I really hope they got the hint when KOTAK gave up the rights and the show's still popular enoguh to run a DVD release of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So, daft question; what is his fastest game over anyway?