Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
I was really disappointed when SNES Doom didn't work in the USA special.

I think if you were to get Arino working on an FPS, it would have to be something like that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

GidgetNomates posted:

I just wonder how good the translation is. It would take a lot of talent to translate Monkey Island in a good way.

I don't know much about translation, but insult swordfighting in particular seems like it would take a lot of work.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

I've been getting caught up on episodes I missed/skipped, and just finished Umihara Kawase. Great episode. Interesting and difficult game, and I finally got to see Inoue's debut and the famous old lady in the tamage segment! Episodes like this are what GCCX is about for me.

Since Random Stranger just reposted the USA trip, was anyone else really disappointed that the Doom cartridge in the game shop didn't work? I'd have liked to see Arino's reaction to that.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

If it wasn't so short, I'd LOVE to see that as a challenge. But what version would they play if not the PC? The SNES version is probably the best all around, but the graphics are pretty rough. The 32x plays better, but the music is infamously bad. The 3DO has the best music, but runs poorly even if you make the window tiny. And the Jaguar... let's not even think about the day Arino starts playing that. Especially the Suda-proof Jaguar CD!

He's played PS1 games before. Wasn't the PS1 version pretty good? (or was it substantially changed from the PC version like Doom64?)

... I notice you didn't mention the Saturn version. IIRC it wasn't worth mentioning. It was so poorly ported I heard the 32X version was better...

Vlaphor posted:

Though the Doom cart not working is unfortunate (though I believe that was actually due to the fact they were using C64 monitors), I really would've love to seen Arino's reaction to games like Yo Noid!, Super Mario Bros 2, and Dragon Power. Games that got drastically altered for their American release.

I agree, that would probably be more entertaining, especially Mario 2.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

I will definitely buy the DVD if it comes out in the UK.

I don't know how likely that is :(

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

That's pretty unlikely until some UK publisher picks up the rights and decides to also license Discotek's translation.

Yeah, that's what I figured.

Well, at least I have my Japanese DVD box set 1... That counts as contributing right?

I don't mean to whine about regions. Anything that gets more GCCX in the west is a good thing. :) Congrats zari-gani!

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Inferior Third Season posted:

As for "A Waste of Color", I loved how during its debut, they go on a bit about black-and-white games that should be remade with color, and then they put whatever it was into the Super Gameboy, which did a somewhat decent job of adding color to the game, pretty much ruining the entire premise of the segment.

I love how they cover things like Burgertime and Gargoyles's Quest... you know, games that were originally in color to start with.

(though I would say that a color remake of Mario Land would certainly be welcome)

vvv Turns out I am wrong! Ah well. Burgertime still counts right?

geri_khan fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 8, 2012

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Licensed episodes can't have SAGCCX versions, but would it be possible to release just the tamage and special sections in them since they're not on the DVD? Or is this considered chancing it?

Obviously translating full episodes would come first, but if there was something particularly memorable...

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Wugga recently completed a Dynamite Headdy Let's Play if you're interested in the game.

It's pretty great, one of the best Treasure games as far as I'm concerned.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

I missed the Freshverse stream, so I grabbed a raw of the second Dynamite Headdy episode. Great stuff! I know my wants probably count for nothing, but if any of you awesome translators feel like subbing this I would be overjoyed. Now that I've seen Arino tackle Twin Freaks AKA Funny Angry, I feel like a desire I'd had since my teens but never realized I had has been fulfilled.

But how in the hell did they find the buggiest cartridge in existence for him to play?

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

drat, that game. Brings back memories. Mainly of me hating it because my brother would play nothing else on our old Spectrum. Good game though. I think the Spectrum version must have been easier though, and it didn't have things like the inter-level chats.

Great episode, thanks for translating! Arino's fish bait was a highlight. :)

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

This is the reason why I watch GCCX. Some amazing game I've never heard of and funny behind the camera drama. Great job guys.

Is it possible to mail order an Inoko MAX T-shirt? I kinda want one now. Also "To Catch a Catch Copy" is one of my favourite segments.I would never have guessed that was the copy for Super Mario Bros.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Awesome episode. Like Erwin, I can't imagine playing DKC any time soon but it's always somewhat cruel fun to watch someone else go through it. :devil:

Man, did Arino look much more wrecked than usual by the end of this ep? He was having fun, but he was very visibly sweating and knackered by 12:20.

And now I want some Okonomiyaki.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Famibomb posted:

I received the gift of the Retro Game Master DVD set today for Xmas.

It's a Christmas miracle!

Me too, finally getting around to Mighty Bomb Jack.

Hey Inoue, you are THE BEST. (I guess Arino is pretty cool too)

EDIT: Still watching now. hey Urakawa didn't mean to neglect you

MORE EDIT: random kids loving around! failed live event! Live extension! Best episode ever! Royal Room 13 must have gone down in infamy

geri_khan fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 26, 2012

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Who was the star of this show again?

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Is there a direct download for the Madoola segments yet? BT throttles torrent traffic at weekends.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Thanks a lot!

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

If I'm making the right assumption here, by Fringe he means the Edinburgh Fringe, a sort of yearly festival of arts and stage shows and so on. So it's not a broadcast thing, it's a live show.

... I have no idea if that changes anything re copyright.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

I was literally just about to come ask the seikai/fuseikai question, that was bugging me.

Anyway, I know it's been two years but I hope Nakayama has a nice job now. The slacker stuff has kinda been grating on me the way "fat" jokes about Watanabe grate on others...

Some great releases lately SAGCCX team. Thanks a lot!

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

I wonder if Tower of Babel was an inspiration for Catherine. The way blocks stack on edges and emphasis on making stairs reminded me of that, and the Power mechanic is present in Rapulzel, the minigame in Catherine. Or maybe that's just stuff common to this genre of games?

(it'll never happen this decade but I'd be funny to see Arino challenge Catherine. Puzzle Chief and Romantic Chief in one episode, mmm)

And Nakayama was robbed! Robbed!

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Obeast posted:

I know joek0 (who uploaded a ton of raw episodes to his YouTube account) said that Fuji TV is starting to crack down on GCCX episodes uploaded to YouTube. Either Fuji TV got their account deleted, or Gaming CX found out about them cracking down and shut the entire account down.

Their website is gone too.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Obeast posted:

I'd love to watch Arino do any point-and-click adventure game since IMO, they're more fun to watch compared to straight up text adventure games.

I think someone mentioned pages and pages ago that The Secret of Monkey Island got a Japanese translation for Mega CD. I think that'd make for a fun challenge - assuming the game's translation is good, I think Arino might get a kick out of Insult Swordfighting.

Also a page or two back someone mentioned Yoiko doing a promotional thing for Sugar Rush. I finally saw Wreck it Ralph a few days ago, so if didn't put any translators out I'd be interested in seeing the Yoiko clip.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

I always watch the king, at least. Tend not to pay as much notice to the ad since it's advertising something that was only available in another country three years ago...

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

AAAAAAA

That ending was horrifying! It felt like he got gypped out of completing it by a last minute design oversight... what a shame.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Aurain posted:

Brian Blessed's Retro Gamer Centre UK, please and thank you very much.

I was kinda thinking this guy. Or Simon Pegg.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

The end of that episode was so tense, I was sure Arino was going to immediately die to the final bosses second form, as usual. Good thing he didn't have one! (bar the speedup)

Great work, thanks.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

I believe The Secret of Monkey Island was released on Mega CD in Japanese. I think Arino would get a kick out of Insult Swordfighting.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Mostly interested in Famicom Detective Club. Those kinds of episodes are usually good.

... it's not on the list, but if any other translators are stuck for what to do next, personally I'm really looking forward to Dynamite Headdy and hope it can come up soon. :P Love that game.

Thanks for the Budokan ep, that was great. Did they ever acknowledge the flowers we sent on the show?

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

A not-great game that ended really well with the game-over hunt.

Also after that episode, I guess now I see why Random Stranger got pissed when people chose Famicom Detective Club.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

As soon as Matsui suggested he navigate for Arino I thought "that never works!" So it was a highlight to see Arino point that out.

And then it went and worked. What the hell?

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Gunstar is a great game, (firmly in my top 5 ever) but I never thought Arino would challenge it because it's pretty easy. Maybe they'll force him to play on Hard or Expert, at least to start with.

I think he'll have a blast with the dice palace. And if he plays co-op, they won't be able to stop throwing each other around the screen.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

I kinda get the feeling if he had pulled it in that tiny, cluttered room the bang would have broken something anyway. So he really should have.

Great recent eps. That Nosferatu looks like a pretty good game, just bullshit hard. Very nice, graphically.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Nice, thanks SAGCCX!

Has there ever been a better secret trick in GCCX? What a game, Super Spy Hunter makes you work HARD even for cheat codes.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Negrostrike posted:

I wish they could give a chance to old PC games as well.

It would depend on the quality of the game's translation, but would love to see Arino try The Secret of Monkey Island. (pretty sure there's a Mega CD version. After a little research, it's called モンキー・アイランド ユーレイ海賊大騒動! or Monkey Island: Ghost Pirate Mayhem! )

Imagine Arino taking on insult swordfighting!

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

edit oops, never mind, not what i thought it was

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fell behind and got caught up on this thread!

Crazy Climber was great, not something I was familiar with but an interesting challenge. MSX segment is good. I can't remember the last time I laughed like I laughed when Arino stuck the pad to the desk and forgot he needed it for the hidden rooms.

As for Dynamite Headdy, was really really really looking forward to this and was not disappointed! Thanks SA-GCCX!

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Thanks! That too was excellent.

There must be some kind of law against withholding food until Arino beats a boss.

And where the hell did they get this cartridge from? Never heard of Headdy crashing that much, though the last one was perfectly timed in its own way. Love the way Kan comes out to officiate.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Thanks for the special! It was excellent, ty to translation team. Arino teaming up with random kids to play air hockey was easily mot most adorable thing I've seen in a long time. Even if he apparently doesn't get along with babies at all

The challenge could have OK, but was almost intolerable because of the noise the girl made when she shot. Also secretly giving the boss more health for picking up powerups is a dirty trick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

SA-GCCX and their successors have done great work that I really appreciate, and wherever you go, I will attempt to follow. Thank you.