Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweet William
Aug 8, 2009

You wanted the best of the best, remember?

Should we sing about it again?

Tyma posted:

There's also the fact that the game was never released in Japan (all of it's popularity stems from youtube videos of the emulated game), and in the US, it was an unlicensed cartridge.

Now, are we talking about Cheetahmen 1 or 2 here? Wikipedia says that Cheetahmen 1 was the featured game on a multicart, while it appears that the sequel (which was never formally released) is the one that the Youtube (edit: or rather, Nico Nico Douga) meme centers on.

In its original state Cheetahmen 2 cannot actually be finished without cheats/emulator witchcraft (also described in the wiki article), SHIKASHI, a rom patch was released quite recently which apparently fixes this problem and more. Obviously this could not be used on an unmodified cartridge, however if some enterprising fan took it upon him or herself to preload the patched ROM to a flash cartridge and mail it to them... who knows? On the other hand, as already mentioned, you run into the potential/likely issue of Nintendo frowning upon unofficial carts of any sort and/or non-domestic releases being featured on television, not to mention the quandary of how many people beyond internet dorks with too much time on their hands give two shits about Cheetahmen 2.

Sweet William fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweet William
Aug 8, 2009

Haruharuharuko posted:

Edit: also how did I not know Battletoads was made by rare?

Somewhat related, I replayed Who Framed Roger Rabbit recently and discovered it too was made by Rare. I was stunned. Guess that makes two completely unfair ball-busting games from my childhood those cheeky buggers were responsible for.

Speaking of games we'd like to see Arino play... too bad it appears Japan didn't get that WFRR since they got the inaugural Crazy Castle game instead.

Wikipedia posted:

During the gameplay, gamers would have to call a phone number. If the number was called, it would give the gamers clues as to how to continue gameplay.
However, if this number is dialed today, it will be connected to a sex hotline, and would not be appropriate to the video game's target audience.

I would pay a stupid amount of money to see the AD's set Arino up to call that number. Ring Ring Tactics indeed.

Sweet William
Aug 8, 2009

There were 6 LucasArts games released for the Fujitsu FM Towns computer.

Most if not all of them have improved graphics and/or sound over the DOS versions.

Zak McKracken even had the graphics slightly retooled to look more animeish if you're playing it in Japanese. The Towns version of Loom is considered by many fans of that game to be the superior port, better even than the CD 'talkie' version for PC.

Needless to say these all command high prices if you're looking to collect.

Sweet William
Aug 8, 2009

psluuthor posted:

Actually it was an Indiana Jones game from Lucasarts in which he is confronted by a Nazi guard and has the option to say silly things. I don't think there is a Japanese version of "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure,"

Where is your kamisama now psluuthorsan?

Sweet William
Aug 8, 2009

Robodemon posted:

Don't forget that the Japanese Zelda II has a different leveling system, if you game over your stats reset to the lowest ranked out of your Attack, Magic, and Life.

So if you were 3-1-1 and game over you would be back to 1-1-1, even though you can choose to keep leveling up attack, but if you end up doing that and die you are back to square one.

I remember reading in one of the eaaaaarly early Nintendo Power magazines (we're talking scary Simon's Quest Dracula head cover era) about how Zelda 2 was being delayed past its original North American release date, but as I recall it didn't go into specific detail on the reason for the delay.

I think now I know.

Sweet William
Aug 8, 2009

Mercury Crusader posted:

That issue, which I'm sure I have but I'd need to thumb through them all to recall which it was, claimed it was some sort of cartridge hardware shortage; a chip or something.

That chip shortage story sounds like a crock to me. :laugh:

It's not like it was Castlevania 3 with some fancy sound chip (which didn't even make it out of Japan in the first place... come to think of it I don't know of a single NES game that had any special chips offhand). Couldn't they have pulled resources from the production of some other game that holiday (it was delayed past Christmas if I remember right) to put into getting their surefire blockbuster out the door in time for capitalist gift giving day? Yeah, not buying it.

edit: apparently Z2 was delayed as long as a year?! I ran across this on the wikipedia article talk page:

... is also referenced in the June/July issue of Nintendo Fun Club on page 11 (the precursor to Nintendo Power and the last issue ever published. Here's the text:
"Where's Link? All the fun of The Legend of Zelda conintues in Zelda II - The Adevnture of Link, right? Righr! But When? As soon as we can get more computer chips! There has been a shortage. But we have used the waiting time well by making Zelda II - The Adventure of Link and even more xicting, more challenging game - coming this fall!".
(spelling mistakes left intact -ed)

So yeah, I guess it was the last issue of the Fun Club newsletter I actually saw that blurb in. I don't even remember how I got a hold of that. Scratch that, I found Nintendo Power #002 online, skimmed through it and found what I was looking for in the corner of the Pak Watch section (hey, it IS the issue with the Dracula head cover):

LINK LETTER Dear Zelda, I'm here in Kyoto with my programmer Mr. Miyamoto, and I'm afraid I have some bad news to tell you. Are you sitting down? (That's right, you're lying down) Anyway, they tell me I will not be able to begin my journey until the new year. It has something to do with computer chips or something. I know we hoped to spend the holidays together, but I'm sure you can hold on a little bit longer. I miss you desperately. Yours forever, LINK. Note: Sorry for the bad news. LINK will be available in very limited quantities in November.

Sweet William fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 17, 2012

Sweet William
Aug 8, 2009

Liku posted:

Quite the shame, might just pick them up for the hell of it anyway. Thanks.

If we're still talking about playing Ecco on PC then another alternative (for the first game at least) is the actual PC port put out by Sega back in the day, which benefits from higher resolution (640x480, although the ports emulated ROMs on Steam may display at whatever res you want) as well as including the Sega CD soundtrack and cutscenes from the sequel which just summarize the events of the first game. I was somewhat surprised to discover it supports analog control via a joystick/gamepad, although in my testing using the button to accelerate was still much more precise.

Finding a physical copy in the wild these days would probably be difficult but you might see it pop up on eBay. My copy is a 2-in-1 with some other edutainment game on the disc, the name of which escapes me.

In the event you do acquire it (by whatever means) you will most likely need the Ecco PC Wizard from Caverns of Hope to get it running, unless you happen to run Windows 95. The Wizard also lets you skip the annoyingly long intro which is nice.

On a side note, the alien queen gave me many a nightmare as a child. Terrifying.

7c Nickel posted:

I've always liked watching him react to "strange" western games. For that reason, I'd love to see him take on The Ooze.

I mentioned Roger Rabbit once before, but it makes me a little sad that some of the games I'd most enjoy as challenges are English only releases (namely WFRR, Startropics 1 and 2, Nightshade and the first GI Joe, although Jaws and Friday the 13th would be great for comedic value) which, even if they brought in an NES to play them on, still come with language barriers (although I'd imagine Joe could still be played well enough despite that). I still have Battletoads to be thankful for at least.

Fingers crossed that Blaster Master and/or Vice: Project Doom and/or Guardian Legend come down the pipe someday. More Nekketsu/Kunio-kun would be nice too, or Clash at Demonhead or Ducktales or TMNT or Bionic Commando or Crystalis or Shadow of the Ninja or...

... I better kill this post before I list every NES game I ever played. Arino should really play Ducktales though.

Vlaphor posted:

My personal favorite Sega CD soundtrack probably goes to the Terminator game

Your links are dead now but I looked up an LP and color me impressed. That really is a killer soundtrack. I would've never played this game but I definitely will now.

Sweet William fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 21, 2012

Sweet William
Aug 8, 2009

absolutely anything posted:

I kinda hope this is a bad early April Fool's joke.

Speaking of April Fool's, I thought some of y'all might enjoy this.

Wait for it...

edit: However, be warned:

8-bit Quest Maps is our Beta Maps technology and has certain system requirements. Your system may not meet the minumum requirements for 8-bit computations.

Sweet William fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 31, 2012

Sweet William
Aug 8, 2009

Obeast posted:

I hope they keep it up after April Fools Day even though I kinda doubt they will.

Didn't they keep the Pac-Man game up somewhere? I'll be bummed too if I can't access it later. Besides, they still need to implement multiplayer and I'm interested in what kinds of DLC might come down the pipeline.

Street view is in 8-bit too oh god my eyes.

Sweet William
Aug 8, 2009

I was curious about that controller code in the ending text of Dragon Buster so I googled it. Turns out there's a second quest and an alternate ending. I'm surprised none of the staff mentioned this as they did with Makaimura.

Maybe nobody wanted to be roped into doing the second quest like Sasano did so they just feigned ignorance...

Sweet William
Aug 8, 2009

Obeast posted:

... the subtitle said that the hero was Simon Belmont when in fact it was his ancestor, Trevor Belmont.

In the Japanese version it's Ralph Belmont. :chord:

Sweet William
Aug 8, 2009

Tempura Wizard posted:

The whole pop idol thing is kind of terrifying and fascinating, and I say that as a pretty big Perfume fan.

Perfume. :bubblewoop: I don't even know (other than the usual perversions; just remembered, as a teenager, walking in on my 50-something dad ogling Britney Spears pics on the computer :saddowns:; thanks thread) why you'd bother following another idol group. The whole massively-multi-member idol group fad seems to mostly play off the American Idol gimmick of getting the audience invested through a sense of participation, e.g. voting. I once thought that Girls' Generation was pushing it with just 9 members but this precluded my awareness of monstrosities like AKB48.

This reminds me of something I saw the other day which I would not normally risk posting, but in the midst of a completely awesome derail I am thus emboldened.

Is that who I think it is up there on the right? I like to think he just asked Nocchi if she's seen Cream Lemon. Or this.

I have one more dumb thing and it's this.

:snoop:I'll just show myself out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweet William
Aug 8, 2009

Obeast posted:

I'm so sorry for this...

I just got done with mine. I think yours is better. In any case you beat me out the gate so hats off.

Obeast posted:

Also, what is the context of this picture... I haven't watched any of the actual new episodes since a little bit of the Strider episode before it started to really desync on me.

Taken from this blog.

edit:

Hakkesshu posted:

Hope he'll do Demon's Crest/Blazon at some point, too.

I hope to see this one challenged as well. I can't remember when I first read the story about more copies of it being returned than sold in the U.S., but I always attributed it to the box art. I think it was the last SAGCCX thread where I got tipped off to the story about a group of religious crusaders in the south actually jacking a truck carrying copies of the game so they could 'return' them to stores (which I guess were more lax with receipt policies back then).

I wish I could find a better source for details as I've loved that game since it came out and the story fascinates and saddens me. To think that in those days before the internet was even remotely widespread, a group of simple churchfolk could mastermind such a thing... for starters even knowing the game was coming out (maybe 700 Club ran a feature?), but then hatching the plot, pinpointing an actual truck that would be carrying copies... and then, instead of just burning the drat things like they did with Beatles records and Dixie Chicks CDs, being diabolical enough to unabashedly return stolen games to stores that never sold them. I dare say Satan would have been most impressed seeing as they effectively killed off the entire Red Arremer spinoff franchise in one fell swoop (cameo appearances in fighting games notwithstanding).

Anyway, I hope to see the game get some well-deserved time in the spotlight. It's not even on Virtual Console... then again, neither is EarthBound.

Sweet William fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 10, 2012