Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Crotch Bat posted:

It's the Puritan history. It's really dumb and backwards but what can you do. Every place has its pros and cons.

e: also I'm thoroughly amused by a Finnish person saying "y'all".

Finland: the whitest country on earth. What up, bros?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

This torrent thing is working really well.

For those not in the know, this graph represents the entire episode being downloaded in just over 2 minutes.

Is there a plan to compile a megatorrent with all the translated episodes? It would cause some additional work, since you'd have to create a new .torrent every time an episode is published, and the seeders would have to move as well for it to keep going. But since most torrent clients allow you to download single files as well, it would be more convenient than trying to deal with the currently ongoing upload site whack-a-croc.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 11, 2012

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

It's really crazy... on the level where Arino uses a single miner lemming to cut a very long tunnel through the ground, and the staff use a ruler to confirm that it's correctly placed.

I remember doing the exact same thing that the staff did on the exact same level back in the day playing Lemmings on my Amiga 500.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

jyrque posted:

I'm pretty sure you can always update a torrent. Any new episodes could just be added to the megatorrent. I'm not sure how this technically works, though.

Yes, it's possible.

But, you'll need to distribute a new .torrent file with every new added episode, since the .torrent file contains the data hashes required by the BitTorrent protocol. The previous version of the torrent will always be incompatible with the new one, and this causes a bit of a hassle. Everyone involved will have to be informed that there's a new torrent, and they'll have to grab the new torrent, and then point their clients to the folder containing the CX stuff. The files that people have already downloaded will work fine with the new torrent, though.

People active in this thread will surely keep up with the updates, but constantly changing the 'most current torrent' might get confusing for others.

I think it's worth a try, if someone has the time to keep it updated.

Obeast posted:

I just finished watching the 24 hour special documentary and SAGCCX compilation video. Thank you again, SAGCCX. You guys are seriously awesome at what you do. :)

Also, please tell me I'm not the only one who was almost in tears during (SAGCCX compilation spoiler) Toujima and Tanii's homoerotic TamaGe segment. I had to pause the video to finish laughing during that segment, which doesn't happen as often as it used to.

No, you were not. After the ice cream scene, I had to constantly rewind the video because I kept missing subtitles, because I was laughing too hard. I do think they pushed the whole thing a bit too much at the end. It would have worked fine without spelling it out.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Season packages would probably be the best bet. It allows the finished season torrents to stabilize, while keeping the total number of torrents low enough to seed. It'd be unfeasible to efficiently seed all of the individual episodes separately, due to tcp congestion issues.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

This brings up something I've been trying to work out. In the most recent two DVD sets there have been "Revenge attempts" where Arino challenges a game that beat him before. One of them is Legend of the Mystical Ninja and one is this game.

The thing is that these are challenges but just listing them in the OP is a bit of a spoiler for the episode so I want to avoid that. Putting them in a spoiler block in the listing would still let the links show through if they got translated and people would have to read the spoiler to know what was getting spoiled.

I'm just not sure what to do about those two...

How about this format:

pre:
Episode     Game                      Genre                System         Translation

Season One
M1          A previously failed game  Insanity Sim       Famicom      TV Nihon
Name of above game: The name of the game
That would give readers the most control over how much information they want to risk seeing. The only way to completely avoid this kind of spoiling is to watch all the previous episodes first, in any case.

Note the url of the link; some browsers like to display the actual url of a link when hovering the mouse over it.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

To address the spoiled text: I don't think spoilers are necessary. After all, we already know Arino does 24-hour challenges of specific games; that would suggest that he failed to complete those games on their particular shows. And he didn't even fail to complete Lemmings--he just had to back off on the difficulty a bit--so someone can still be surprised!

Yeah, we all know and can deduct those kinds of things. However, I think this is more about the new people who are scrolling through the OP without knowing anything about the show, trying to figure which episode they'd like to try first.

No point in spoiling the episode with their favorite game if we can prevent it.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

So should we also spoiler-tag the 24-hour episodes?

You have a good point there, there's definitely a line to be drawn. Having an OP full of black boxes would be stupid. I'm still thinking that using some spoiler tags in the main list of episodes would be prudent. It wouldn't be a major hassle to anyone involved.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Since some people here seem to enjoy Japanese ads, have some GOD HAND:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mp36fk_PhM

It also works as hilarious commentary on women in the Japanese culture and the gamer community, since these seem to be the subjects we are frequently discussing these days.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

a big fwiggen terd posted:

Is there any way to get this in non us countries? Edit: the dvd that is? I've never ordered internationaly with amazon before.

I managed to preorder it straight from amazon.us to Finland, there were no restrictions outside of the standard warning that the DVD would be region locked.

EDIT: also, in my past experience amazon.us will state it clearly if they won't ship something to you, you foreign bastard.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 29, 2012

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Whilst farting I posted:

Hello,

We're writing about the order you placed on July 29, 2012. Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

Shinya Arino, Eastern Star "Retro Game Master: The Game Center CX Collection"
Estimated arrival date: October 03, 2012

:smithicide:

Got the same mail. Surely this thread will provide us in these hard times, like it has before. :gbsmith:

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

univbee posted:

(which isn't helped by the fact that "chichi" can mean "dad" and "breasts").

Crotch Bat posted:

Bless that line they made Fujiwara say a thousand times in the 24 Hour Tag game.

This is getting a bit off-topic, but also explains a thing. I think Fujiwara's phrase was translated as "Gather around these man-boobs!" in the subs, and it always struck me as a bit off-beat. Gaki no Tsukai doesn't usually go for anything that blunt. Outside the physical comedy anyway. It's cool to know there's some sort of word play behind all that.

(I'm not implying that there's a problem with the subs, I certainly can't come up with anything better.)

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Hm? I hear something in the next room...

(SFX: LONG, CREEPY CREAK.)

The pressure of his gaze is amazing...

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

makere posted:

With the Abe arrangement being "Deluxe" and the other one "Standard".

This is a fantastic idea. I mean, Something Awful is a comedy site. Things like this is what we do. And Arino is a comedian. If we can set up this joke well enough, there's no way he wouldn't pick it up.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

Its about time Arino played Civilization!

"Huh? Lincoln-san says his words are backed by... ABUNAI!!"

Yeah, as much I'd enjoy watching a challenge like this, I don't think it could happen in any TV series ever. Firaxis Games themselves have enough trouble portraying different nations and religions in Civ without angering a bunch of people. It is a game series where world engulfing wars and genocide aren't just commonplace, but also a very efficient way to win. Having Arino, or any celebrity, "clear" a game of Civilization wouldn't be all that PC.

But hey, there's always Twitch TV :v:.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Can you extract the magnet link from your torrent client and post that here?

As always, thanks for all your hard work!

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

univbee posted:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:67b9dacea4428713235ef0c33b82114e4f6183ee&dn=Game%20Center%20CX%20149%20-%20Kickle%20Cubicle%20%5bSA-GCCX%5d.mp4&tr=http%3a%2f%2fopen.nyaatorrents.info%3a6544%2fannounce

Nyaa is up now as well, but looks like the BBcode url tag magles magnet scheme links. Fixed above.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Yoga!?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

probably something extremely unexciting to a westerner, like Ultra Man

e: booger man

I might be an exception, but Ultra Man is quite exciting to me! Those games are real bad, but in a way that would probably suit Arino and the show pretty well.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

A good way to support the effort of the team is to make sure those flower bouquets from the international fans stay very big.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

:goose: Yay Goose Team! :goose:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010