Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010
Sorry if it's been asked, and I did check the last few pages and the op and didn't see a mention, so I just thought I would ask. In addition to appreciating/loving the hell out of the work being done in here, I've also been enjoying the raw episodes too. I haven't gotten any since the oooold megatorrent of raws, and was curious if a torrent (not just the usual blog :D) was keeping up with releases anywhere so I can round out my old collection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

redmercer posted:

If you want to see him in a good funny role, watch Kikujiro.

He still plays a stiff jerk, but it's heartwarming! Really.

And you can't forget he was one of the (atrociously dubbed) hosts of Most Extreme Elimination Challenge (Takeshi's Castle) that was on Spike TV for years. So weird watching him in that old goofy show and realizing that's the same guy from all the mob movies/Zatoichi/Battle Royale.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010
I'll throw in a thank you to Freshverse too. This stream is fantastic. Sadly I only started watching about an hour ago. Did I see mention that the network is rebroadcasting once this eventually ends?

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

shrgnatlas posted:

I'm going to tear up. I'm just glad everything is running fine. I wish I had gotten an account a while back, I've been lurking for the longest time. We've had GCCX every week and no one knew about it, haha...

I'll probably leave it on for the repeat if it starts immediately after.

I kinda wanna hug you right now. Your site is going to be quite the regular on my boxee box. :)

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010
Haha, wow. I thought people were about to pull out sticks and pitchforks for a minute there.

And man, that pizza makes me hungry for Takoyaki for some reason.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010
What the gently caress happened to that guy's hair?!?

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010
I can't believe I missed the start again ;_; Is it archived from the start anywhere? The linked Justin.TV archive seems to start at least a good part in already.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010
There's something I've been curious about for a while now. Maybe it was just "the other guys" and their translation, but I definitely got the impression in the earlier seasons that they just thought the show was over more than once, only for it to return for another season. Was it just basically a bad translation about the season being over? Or did the show really get saved/picked-up over and over again out of nowhere early on?

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, those subtitles were pretty unbearable.

Anyway back to the SA Team, I hope you guys like games that were never released in the US because you're getting a lot of them...

I actually prefer those episodes. I love seeing the stuff I grew up on too, don't get me wrong, but I love seeing him play through all the weird stuff we never got to see even more.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

^ The weirdest game I've ever played has definitely got to be Robotrek. Just, what the gently caress.

If it helps put it into perspective at all, the Japanese name for the game was Slapstick. Always loved that game. It was Pokemon before Pokemon.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

It always makes me feel a bit odd these days when I see someone mention their first episode of GCCX was one of the TV Nihon's episodes. Yeah, that might have worked for them but how many people are watching that episode and bouncing off because of these things? They're not going to say things and may not realize that there is a more accessible version of the show out there.

Oh well. File that under silly things that I worry about or let bother me that I don't have any control over...

It was always fun listening to people screaming at conventions that watching something subtitled was stupid. You don't know what the people are saying, watch the loving dub. :P No matter how good a job you do, it's always going to make someone crazy. An old group I used to work with once had one of our translators receive an envelope full of loose razor blades and a note to kill herself because he didn't like how she was translating the dialect for a character. Nerds be crazy :D You have to admit though, watching the rage over your decisions can be fun. :)

I will say I fall somewhere in the middle. I do like a lot of the Japanese jokes and such left in from a purely cultural viewpoint. Part of the charm of this type of show for me was always the differences in culture, humor, etc. Doesn't bug me either way though, because you guys really are doing a fantastic job.

Bo Steed posted:

^^^^ What I meant. Just briefly forgot that bit. Point being it felt more like a marketing decision than anything else. Then again, I could just be jaded after a lifetime of being similarly played to by commercial translations.

It does feel like a "Hey STUPID, he's playing old games!" kind of thing. But eh, I think its heart is in the right place. They're just trying to make sure this weird Japanese thing gets some traction in places where Game Center CX would give pretty much no idea what the video is about. It's sad that it needs to be force fed like that, but they're probably right.

Edison Carter fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 14, 2012

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

zari-gani posted:

Just a couple of relevant news links.

Kotaku: Game Center CX is Coming to DVD
Kotaku Japan: Game Center CX in USA DVD. The last paragraph explains where the "extremely American taste" cover art came from.

I will never ever complain about Kotaku's US layout again. Holy poo poo Japan.

It's nice that they gave it a mention, but geeze, they didn't really even try. They could have at least maybe given some info about what episodes there were, even a link to the company's site? I mean yeesh, there's literally a pointless, open ended square bracket at the end of the story.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010
For some reason Toujima has always been my favorite AD, and I just get a big kick out of it when he will just show up out of nowhere still, getting a "Ack, what's he doing here?!?" reaction from Arino.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010
Ohhh, been wanting to see a whole translated season 0 episode for ages. Thanks for this. Really looking forward to it. That, and paired with a game I <3 Nice.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Obeast posted:

Yet another great non-challenge episode. Once again, I offer you guys my thanks for your awesome work! :)

I also think they need to get Watanabe back to guest star on some more TamaGes (I guess that's how you pluralize that) since she seems to generally have the most fun on them, even when Arino makes fun of her weight.

Yeah... :(

I just checked the fan translation's site and it hasn't been updated since January. I'm aware that the guys working on this are doing it as a hobby/side-project and they're probably busy with real life stuff like work, school, family, etc., so I'm still hoping that this gets finished and we all can finally play the Great Chief Detective. :)

Also, if the fan translation somehow dies (which I hope it doesn't), then we can hope that the DVDs will sell enough to get indies zero and/or Namco to reconsider an official release. :shobon:

Heh, I've kind of been curious. Was I the only person that initially scowled at that Final Fantasy rhythm game coming to the 3DS, but had a complete 180 about it when I realized it was made by Indies Zer0? I loved Retro Game Challenge so damned much that I would give just about anything they put out a try.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Lock posted:

E: yah, not the place for this discussion, necessary dogpile already created
Well one of the biggest metal guitarists of the 80s used it as his name and I recall people of color giving absolutely 0 fucks. Dude still acts and performs under the name to this day and it has never been a big deal.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010
I think I may have found the dullest challenge episode ever. I haven't really had any problems with any shows I've watched til now. Saint Seiya may be the driest, dullest episode thus far. It's one saving grace is Abe riding a blow up motorcycle peripheral for a Hang On-like famicom bike racing game, and looking ultra serious about it.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Mister Chief posted:

Has the current season been any good?
I've definitely enjoyed it so far. Captain Tsubasa was surprisingly cinematic for a soccer game, and everyone seemed to have fu pn with it. Dynamite Heady was great, and Arino plated what appeared to be an open world bike delivery boy game. A game where he appeared to just start randomly bombing civilians and cop cars between driving off the road into lakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Mister Chief posted:

Geocities still exists in Japan? :psyduck:

Want your mind blown? Compuserve (for anyone old enough to remember it) still exists in Japan, under their Japanese name Niftyserve. It's probably been bought and sold half a dozen times in the past 20 years, but the fact that brand still exists anywhere still baffles me.