Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

redmercer posted:

Let's get our pennies together and send them a copy of Action 52 with a note about the Cheetahmen. And maybe some taffy or something.

"Today, your goal is to play every part of this game for at least 5 minutes without wanting to kill yourself"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Random Stranger posted:

If you're in Tokyo on Christmas eve this year you may want to go to the launch event for the the eighth DVD box set. Details can be found at:

http://blog.fujitv.co.jp/gamecenter/index.html

It sounds like they're doing something similar to the DVD event where they had people hunting for various staff members around an area.

Man, I'd love to go to one of those things. :(

I'm looking forward to the possibility of Japan's tourism agency getting that plan to give free round-trip tickets next year off the ground. Visiting at around the time they have a GCCX event would be the best thing.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
"Arino has reached his limit, but just when all hope was lost...that man appeared!"

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I think ChipCheezum's last retsupurae video gives you a good enough as to what kind of "jounalists" Kotaku is staffed by.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

redmercer posted:

I have to wonder why the stuff that was cut from Kotaku was cut in the first place. Did they think nobody gave a poo poo about the Year in Review bits? Is it a giant spaghetti licensing nightmare? Did they think someone might be offended by the Everything I Need To Know I Learned From Strategy Guides bit?

That's actually because they were subbing the DVD episodes, which don't include those sections. It wasn't a Kotaku choice.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

redmercer posted:

Someone send him a copy of Hatoful Boyfriend

Ahahaha, as a side-note, the same supervisor I mentioned awhile ago who was already a fan of Arino and various Japanese comedies like that (her knowledge of this stuff is comparable to zari-gani, it's uncanny), did a pseudo-LP of this game and everyone at work got a kick out of it. She has this picture above her desk.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

JSnake posted:

To be fair, that blog is terrible itself. I can't count how many times the guy running it has jumped the hate gun only for the journalist to clarify his position on Twitter and ultimately come off a whole lot more reasonable than the blog guy.

Yeah, I tried reading a few entries, but stopped when I got to the guy raving about how horrible gamers and journalists are for reporting about some devs joking about making Arkham World or something(?).

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Has there been a list of how many episodes have been completely subtitled versus how many there are total? I haven't been able to keep up with the new releases lately.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Even if it ends up being redundant, the calm voiceover helps establish the arcade trips as the relaxing break from the tension maintained during most of the challenges.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Nipponophile posted:

Ero-Game Center SEX!

Solid Snake posted:

A joke?

Col. Roy Campbell posted:

Listen to me, Snake, you have a mission. You must finish the Quest of Ki and rescue the princess. I promise I'll tell you everything after the mission is over.

This is the best page.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Famibomb posted:

Sure are a lot of angry messages over on gamingcx.com's comments page. Either mad at the subbing quality or pissed off because 'we wait three weeks for a new episode, and the best they can give us is a loving APRIL FOOL'S JOKE?!' then try to play it cool by saying it wasn't funny in the first place. :downs:

Suck it, parasites.

I don't know what's worse, the people so impatient for new subbed episodes of a show that's been largely ignored for practically a decade, or the website trying to pass off someone else's work as their own to the point of not even bothering to check if this was a legitimate episode or not.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I feel ashamed to have gotten 700 posts and countless episodes short on the show. It's been a lot to keep up with lately! I'm still trying to figure out where I last left off...

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I can't be the only one who remembers that :krad: flash game on their website when TOM's ship was being attacked by aliens or robots or some poo poo? Then he came back as a more-badass version of himself?

Toonami was the best.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I've finally downloaded all the episodes I don't have yet and sorted them all out. Time to marathon through them all to get back up to speed!

Also, anyone who hasn't preordered that DVD set should do so immediately. I'd love for them to see the sales of it and go "holy poo poo, why have we not broken into this market yet".

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Random Stranger posted:

Behold the horror of Arino's current profile picture on Twitter!

That is a thing of nightmares.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

I'm still amazed that they took such a liking to that awesome picture, that they're actually using it for one of their DVD releases. That's gotta be an incredible feeling right there.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

zari-gani posted:

Toujima: "I wish he wouldn't doodle on the company's white board. Especially over my notes indicating where I've gone off to."

Okay, this is just funny as hell.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

zari-gani posted:

ETA: I didn't know the original "Retro Game Master" Trailer was still online. This is actually my first time seeing the whole thing!

I can't for the life of me remember where the video is, but there were a few people recording the episodes during the showing years ago when they tried and failed to get a US publisher. If you don't mind the redubbed voice (and he actually wasn't bad, a lot better than the one from the Kotaku-funded dub), it was a really professional localization.

The part of the scattered footage that sticks out to me is that all the video overlays were redone with English text, which leads me to believe they do have master-versions of the episodes still around the studio. I would kill to get my hands on them so I could sperg out and do English versions of all the overlays.

Stanos posted:

Are fat people usually the butt end of jokes on Japanese TV or does GCCX just like ripping on them? I feel bad for Yuko sometimes and it seems they rip on Tami a lot too. Easy targets or what?

There's actually a Watanabe appearance in the episode I'm working on. I usually laugh at everything Arino says when doing subtitles, but that part was just pure :smith:.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Those beautiful, perfect overlays... :allears:

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Tewratomeh posted:

What more do you really need to say?

It looks like a parody of Persona before that series even existed.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

rdbbb posted:

Delay is official -- "underestimated demand." :cool:

This is very good news.

Here's hoping they get you to help localize more episodes, zari-gani. :)

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Yeah, I've talked to a couple of people who have studied Japanese and are pretty knowledgeable about the country (one even lived in the Kansai region for a while), and neither of them knew about the show before I told them about it. It's a pretty popular TV show, but it's not quite a cultural-revolution kind of thing.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Gutcruncher posted:

But I dont understand. Arino himself said he is God of retro game, and he is famous nationwide. Are you telling me Arino was LYING?!

:v:

Mister Chief posted:

At the end of the Kirby episode it mentions that GCCX will be released in America. Was that in reference to the DVD?

The episode likely premiered right before the Kotaku Debacle happened.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I started playing Persona 3 for the first time a while ago, and as much as I'm enjoying the game and the story, it's super-duper creepy to be referred to as "David-kun" in the text.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

It's goofy and unnatural-sounding to the point where it actually bothers me whenever it happens. There's almost no reason for it either, unless you really need full Japanese immersion or something.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Lizard Bastard posted:

Holy gently caress is that supposed to be a face. :stare:

There's a reason why the :shepface: emoticon exists.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
You could always go with "Wash your face of this shame and try again".

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Allen Wren posted:

Nah, there's way better places to go than to the Drafthouse (though the Drafthouse is an unstoppable movie machine.) Pinballz and Arcade UFO are both excellent, especially Pinballz, since it's got stacks of retro machines.

This is from a few pages ago, but I just wanted to shamelessly shill Arcade UFO because it's one of my favorite places to go whenever I'm in downtown Austin. It's a small place, but packed with awesome stuff like imports (Dodonpachi, Pop'n Music, DJ Max Technika, etc) and new fighting games rigged up to big double-sided arcade machines. You should definitely visit this place if you're ever in Austin.

And on the note of "arcades you'd like to see Arino in", Fun Spot is definitely one of them. It's a massive arcade with pretty much every American game you can imagine, and part of The King of Kong was filmed there. It's a shame that it's in the middle of one of the most boring towns in the country.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I was browsing some of the videos from the Lets Play Wanking Session 2011 (a series of fake LP trailers to make fun of the "Lets Play Convention" a few years ago), and I totally forgot Random Stranger submitted a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1B8ULGZzyY

This explains everything. :allears:

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I think the issue there was that NG2 is a lot more brute force-proof than the first game. Unless I'm remembering it incorrectly, the levels were a lot denser with enemy spawning and he couldn't just try to tank through them all the time like he did through most of the first game.

It wasn't until the last level of NG1 that they ran into serious trouble, whereas with 2 it just took longer overall.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I do love his "wait, what" expression when he realizes he's rubbing his face with panties.

Also that fried cracker thing looked amazing.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Joystiq actually had an article a while back advocating people to buy the PS1 version through the Japanese PSN.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Bocc Kob posted:

It keeps noting it was "used previously". Used... for what? :gonk:

I'm imagining a Toy Story-esque situation here.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
You're probably thinking of the clip show episode after Arino got back from medical leave. I remember that had a few re-run Aces of Hardware segments.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Jamesman posted:

I never had any problems with TV Nihon's subs, or at least nothing that doesn't also apply to SA Team's subs.

"This is just like Biohazard!"

"Translator's Note: Biohazard is the Japanese version of Resident Evil"

:shepface:

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
The issue people have with them isn't that it's more oriented towards viewers knowledgeable about Japanese, it's that the things they choose not to translate completely are totally arbitrary and serve no purpose to the viewer. Take that Resident Evil example I pointed to earlier (which they actually did do), why do I need to know that the Japanese version of RE is called Biohazard? Just translate it as Resident Evil and people will know exactly what you're talking about.

To me, it comes off as flaunting that they know certain contextual Japanese terms that might have been slightly-difficult to look up. The only time a Translator's Note is necessary is when they're talking about something that isn't known about/doesn't have an American counterpart.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
They weren't actually playing the game, he was walking around in the staircase of a hot spring building and said something like "This is just like Resident Evil!".

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
It's definitely got that retro-style difficulty!

To this day I can't believe I beat the Mirror Cup...

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Although I'm one for avoiding using honorifics in translations, orenroren had a pretty good reason for it in his LPs of the Dangan Ronpa series: they're murder mystery games that often convey crucial details through subtle writing.

Sure, you could go through the whole game and try to lock down any instance where localizing the honorifics could cause issues in how important information is presented to you, but that's a little absurd to expect a single person to do just for a Lets Play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Caitlin posted:

Zari-gani is the only translator for the DVDs. Also, for Parappa, the people who didn't like it are probably kind of lucky that he didn't figure out button mashing as fast as possible (with the appropriate button for that section) gets you non-stop COOL rankings. :v:

I could be wrong, but I think you can't get to the Cool rating until beating the game once.